ADVERTISEMENT

Karl Anthony-Towns tweet

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
It's so obvious that this program needs a dose of selflessness. Great tweet, and I believe Cal said recently we don't play for the front, which pissed me off personally.

Obviously it's recruiting talk because his guys from great teams played team ball and promote it.
Cal said "we don't play for the front"? In a non-critical way, like he condones it?

It's so obvious that this program needs a dose of selflessness. Great tweet, and I believe Cal said recently we don't play for the front, which pissed me off personally.

Obviously it's recruiting talk because his guys from great teams played team ball and promote it.
Well, it is a "players first program". Maybe the players are confused on what that means. I know I am.

Part of the problem with sharing the ball with this group is that these guys have a very difficult time finishing. Over time, you lose confidence in your team mate to make the play so you decide you will start doing it on your own, which doesn't work either. It is a vicious cycle that we are stuck in. Need more players capable of putting the ball in the basket, period.

Our problem is we aren't getting the Karl Anthony Towns type players and it's showing. We truly don;t have a player on this team that can score and take over a game. If Calipari is not going to get the truly dominant OAD type talents then he needs highly skilled shooters mixed in. The mix we have right now won;t win you many games unless they stick around for years.

The very fact that KAT said this........and other guys from Cal's previous teams have also said similar.......shows that some of his teams brought into the team aspect.

But is this team losing games because they are selfish or are they losing games because they just have low basketball IQ and they aren't as good as our previous teams?

I'm gonna go with the latter on that one.

We simply do not have the talent that we used to have. This isn't rocket science here.

Well, it is a "players first program". Maybe the players are confused on what that means. I know I am.
Players first means being selfish? I think it means sacrificing for , you know the players, if they would do that then they would be better. Have you watched any other years?

Reactions: aceman509
I feel like people just take a portion of Cal's words and ignore what they want.

He's said time after time after time that the regular season is about the team and that after the season is about the individuals.

It might sound conflicting to the whole player's first statements, but it isn't.

It's all intertwined. Being a good team helps the players achieve their dreams and goals. The two goals are related. Which is why I never really cared when Cal said those things.

BB IQ is the lowest I've ever seen in a UK team. And that is saying a lot when factoring in our NIT team.

Case in point, we just needed to score in the last couple minutes and SGA holds the ball till the last couple seconds, no offense is being run other than everyone clears the lane to let him play 1 on 5... EVERYONE knew what he was going to do and the defense just collapsed on him. No kick out, no cut to the rim by another player, no one else even tried to help.... stupid basketball.

What kills me is that we did this insane attempt TWICE. He is one of our smarter players and we still played stupid and selfish.

I'm not done with this team but I'm sure the team is. The biggest difference between this team and our 14 team is they didn't play selfish and they learned as the year went on. This team is the polar opposite. Disapointing.

I'm not so sure the 14 team did learn as the year went on tho. We dropped 3 of our last 4 conference games that year. Actually the light didn't go on for that team until mid way through the SEC tournament.

The real difference between that team and this team is simply the talent level. They had more talent. They had NBA talent on that team.

In the end that 14 team found an offense. Our defense was actually quite terrible in that NCAA tournament. We just shot the ball much better than we did throughout the season.

I still have some hope that we can turn it around given how long it took that team..........but the ceiling IMO is much lower.

Part of the problem with sharing the ball with this group is that these guys have a very difficult time finishing. Over time, you lose confidence in your team mate to make the play so you decide you will start doing it on your own, which doesn't work either. It is a vicious cycle that we are stuck in. Need more players capable of putting the ball in the basket, period.
I agree and Diallo can't throw it in the ocean.

Reactions: westerncat
This team just isn't very good, or very smart - it goes well beyond youth. Hell, John Wall was young. So was KAT.

The problem goes deeper - the nucleus of whatever stays behind from this team will not be enough to put us in contention for a title next year, even with what we are adding so far. Cal has lost a step in recruiting - he's no longer bringing in "the best of the best of the best" and that spells disaster for title hopes when you have nothing but a bunch of freshman every year that aren't even the best freshmen.

Sick of hearing about "Draft Express" when these dudes can't even beat the freaking Volunteers in Rupp Arena. Congrats on making an NBA roster while narrowly avoiding the NIT on the way to making your dreams come true at our expense I guess.

We've got another 1-1/2 years of this horseshit to look forward to probably.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
Maybe Cal needs 2 or 3 stars (big-Kat, Wall, Boogie, Booker, AD) to stop in on an off day for them, and talk to the guys for 15 minutes. I'm sure it would be heard better coming from these guys who are now where these kids want to be, and are even more relatable to them.

big-KAT comes in on Wed and tells them to "Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back"
Booker comes in on Thur and tells them to "Sacrifice for their brothers"
Wall comes in on Fri and tells them "the best way to lead is to be a servant leader"
AD comes in on Sat morning and tells them to "trust one another".

I believe Cal said recently we don't play for the front, which pissed me off personally.

Everybody needs to Google "Calipari front of jersey" or something similar.

You will find stories about him saying this repeatedly. He said it recently, he said it in 2013, he said it in 2007 in Memphis.

Yeah it sounds disrespectful to our tradition. So did that "greatest night in UK history" crap. This is what you get with Cal. If you wanted him as our coach you can't bitch about it now because he made it clear well before he took this job.

I'm not saying I agree with it, because I honestly think the players-first concept and winning championships are contradictory philosophies.

But don't act surprised now.

So why didn't you stay around and play another year or two?

Your really going to question a kid that played with as much passion, and has represented the Program since leaving like Kat? He was the #1 draft pick and is being mentioned by every NBA GM as their pick if they was starting a franchise and could pick any player from the league to start their team.

Everybody needs to Google "Calipari front of jersey" or something similar.

You will find stories about him saying this repeatedly. He said it recently, he said it in 2013, he said it in 2007 in Memphis.

Yeah it sounds disrespectful to our tradition. So did that "greatest night in UK history" crap. This is what you get with Cal. If you wanted him as our coach you can't bitch about it now because he made it clear well before he took this job.

What is disrespectful??
"K
entucky is college basketball’s legendary program. It has the most wins and the most devoted fan base. (I call them crazy; they watch more game film than I do.) I respect the hell out of the tradition—I’m lucky to be a part of it and I’ve got the best job in basketball—but I don’t do what I do for the commonwealth of Kentucky, for the university, for the legacy of the program, or for the greater glory of Big Blue Nation. There was a time I coached partly for myself—for status, respect, money, wins. But I don’t do that anymore I coach for the names on the back of the jersey—not the front. My players. They’re sent to me by their fathers, their mothers, their grandmothers, their aunts—whoever in this world raised them and loves them. Others look at their NBA bodies and consider them lucky. Future millionaires, just stopping through before they cash in. That’s not what I see. They’re kids, some of them as young as seventeen. They all need me in a different way. Some want my affection, others my approval. It’s a burden to be responsible for other people’s children, sometimes a heavy burden".

Here is my question, i know when Cal says all his crazy, outrageous stuff, it's for effect. However the coach and school that are currently getting every single top player they want are doing literally the exact opposite at every turn. Come to Duke we'll take care of you for life. Come to UK we'll teach you how to take care of yourself for life. Kentucky we don't play for the name on the front we are players first. You guys are a disgrace to the Duke uniform and name and are no longer allowed to wear Duke branded gear. How can one coach put University first and get every guy and the other guy say I'm only about the kids and not get them? I'm not even saying I disagree with Cal's overall motto, maybe now people that he's saying that to are questioning it's authenticity?

Reactions: new era cat
I didn't think this was an issue. We are expected to play for the name on the back because this is how we are coached. Doesn't our program put the players first and foremost and not the Kentucky tradition and fan base. The program is for the players and when they get the opportunity during a game to show case their individual talents for NBA scouts this is what they are encouraged to do. So SGA dribbles into traffic the last minute of the game and turns the ball over. He was trying to win the game because he had been the only player on the court scoring consistently. He wanted the ball and didn't want to give it up. That is who we are.

KAT is right

I think we are way over-exagerating the selfish mantra on here.

1. I think Diallo is the only kid that is really selfish player...but I also think he's just got a very low skill set and feel for the game of basketball in general that magnifies that.
2. The rest of team isn't selfish...they simply aren't that talented/skilled and have very low basketball IQ that results in what we have.
- Knox isn't a great shooter..it's that simple. He's tall and can jump. He can hit those runners. But he's not close to money on an open 3pt ball. His handle is very loose and lateral quickness isn't above average. And he endlessly backs up behind 3pt line on defense and gives way to much cushion and dudes hit 3pt shots in face all the time.
- All of our bigs...Nick isn't near the athlete of WCS. Vanderbilt has as bad a shot as you'll see but he's pretty good at all other aspects. PJ isn't explosive athletically and his shooting 15 feet out isn't good. Wenyen is a hustle kid and spot up 3pt shooter....no post moves, no handles, no passing.
- Quade is not quick nor a knock down shooter. So he's essentially a 6'1 SG

This group can improve their skills (like Wenyen did) but there are not bigtime NBA future guys on this roster (maybe Knox if he develops into a lethal 3pt threat). But if the kids come back they'll improve, play better as a unit, etc...but if they go pro/overseas...UK basically gets no benefit from marginal kids sticking around for 1-2 years. This is what Cal has to fix.

Here is my question, i know when Cal says all his crazy, outrageous stuff, it's for effect. However the coach and school that are currently getting every single top player they want are doing literally the exact opposite at every turn. Come to Duke we'll take care of you for life. Come to UK we'll teach you how to take care of yourself for life. Kentucky we don't play for the name on the front we are players first. You guys are a disgrace to the Duke uniform and name and are no longer allowed to wear Duke branded gear. How can one coach put University first and get every guy and the other guy say I'm only about the kids and not get them? I'm not even saying I disagree with Cal's overall motto, maybe now people that he's saying that to are questioning it's authenticity?
Interesting take.

Maybe Cal needs 2 or 3 stars (big-Kat, Wall, Boogie, Booker, AD) to stop in on an off day for them, and talk to the guys for 15 minutes. I'm sure it would be heard better coming from these guys who are now where these kids want to be, and are even more relatable to them.

big-KAT comes in on Wed and tells them to "Play for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back"
Booker comes in on Thur and tells them to "Sacrifice for their brothers"
Wall comes in on Fri and tells them "the best way to lead is to be a servant leader"
AD comes in on Sat morning and tells them to "trust one another".

If these kids are as selfish as their being portrayed, I don't think anything KAT, Devin, John or AD says to them at practice will affect them. This group has had the success of those players drilled into them since the day they got here.

Hopefully, being called out publicly on social media by our great NBA alums will have a greater effect.

These kids need to learn that if they play together as a unit, that their strengths will be enhanced and their deficiencies will be minimized.

ADVERTISEMENT