ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas Players

lennyd250cat

Sophomore
Apr 23, 2007
Are any more of their players considering a jump to the NBA.? They are absolutely loaded next year. They have to have at least one "Briscoe" that are not projected in either the first or second round that can leave. If not, why?

They lost Bragg to transfer.

They expect Graham to go pro. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns.

Mykhailiuk is expected to return to his home country. They say this every year, but he hasn't went back home yet. I think he will be back.

KU fans keep saying guys will leave early, but they never do. Mason was better than Ulis last year according to them, yet he came back.

I expect them to have everyone back.

G Graham
G Newman
G Mykhailiuk
F Preston
F Azubuike

Bench- Vick, Garrett, and Lightfoot.

No size beyond Preston and Azubuike, from what I can tell.

They will have a great starting five, but the bench beyond Vick, is nearly nonexistent.

Are any more of their players considering a jump to the NBA.? They are absolutely loaded next year. They have to have at least one "Briscoe" that are not projected in either the first or second round that can leave. If not, why?

Um, what?

I'll address the only part I understood. They lost Mason, Jackson, Lucas. All starters. Bragg is leaving, and Svi and Graham are rumored to be leaning that way. Or were at least. I would not call them loaded at all.

2017-2018 Roster
Vick
Graham
Newman
Mykhailiuk
Azubuike
Cunliffe
Coleby
Lightfoot
Preston - New
Garret - New

Self has three scholarships to give.

Gone: Jackson, Mason, Lucas and Bragg
Looking: Graham and Svi will look but most likely will come back for their Senior season

They lost Bragg to transfer.

They expect Graham to go pro. I wouldn't be surprised if he returns.

Mykhailiuk is expected to return to his home country. They say this every year, but he hasn't went back home yet. I think he will be back.

KU fans keep saying guys will leave early, but they never do. Mason was better than Ulis last year according to them, yet he came back.

I expect them to have everyone back.

G Graham
G Newman
G Mykhailiuk
F Preston
F Azubuike

Bench- Vick, Garrett, and Lightfoot.

No size beyond Preston and Azubuike, from what I can tell.

They will have a great starting five, but the bench beyond Vick, is nearly nonexistent.

Yeah, basically the same situation as this year. No bench outside one player. And the starting five isn't as good as this year's was.

Don't forget Malik Newman. He will be a great addition to their starting lineup.

Reactions: cgreen423
Yeah, basically the same situation as this year. No bench outside one player. And the starting five isn't as good as this year's was.

Players don't get better every year? I.e., Graham and Svi and Vick will be the same as last year? Did Mason improve between his Junior and Senior year? Did Ulis improve between his frosh and soph years? The bench comment doesn't even make sense given the roster and the fact we still have 3 scholarships to give. If Kentucky and Kansas rosters stay the same now and include existing 2017 commitments, we will have more perimeter depth than Kentucky next year and equal post depth.

Players don't get better every year? I.e., Graham and Svi and Vick will be the same as last year? Did Mason improve between his Junior and Senior year? Did Ulis improve between his frosh and soph years? The bench comment doesn't even make sense given the roster and the fact we still have 3 scholarships to give. If Kentucky and Kansas rosters stay the same now and include existing 2017 commitments, we will have more perimeter depth than Kentucky next year and equal post depth.
We also have 3 open scholarships.

You guys had your best team in years and you still lost a game on us in the overall wins count. That's gotta sting.

Reactions: ukfan041
Looks like Kansas will have a solid starting lineup if Graham and Mykhailiuk return.
G-Newman
G-Graham
G-Mykhailiuk
F-Preston
C-Azubuike

LaGerald Vick showed some flashes this season and should be solid for them off the bench. Looks like the top 6 will make them a preseason top 10 team. Lack of frontcourt depth will be pretty rough for them. If even one of Graham or Svi leaves, it would be a pretty big blow for them. Still not convinced Graham stays as it was strongly rumored he was deadset on leaving.

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
Self doesn't like to go small, but next year's team might be perfect to go small again (like he did this past season). I would start Graham, Newman, Vick, and Mykhailiuk around Preston inside. Bring Azubuike off the bench. At 6'8, Mykhailiuk is big enough to defend most college 4's. This allows Self to have at least one guy over 6'9 on the floor most of the time.

Self likes having two bigs on the floor at the same time running the high/low post game. We will see how much he can get out of Azubuike. He could be a stud or a dud. I think the rest of their top six is pretty good.

Um, what?

I'll address the only part I understood. They lost Mason, Jackson, Lucas. All starters. Bragg is leaving, and Svi and Graham are rumored to be leaning that way. Or were at least. I would not call them loaded at all.
Agree, I don't see how one can say they're loaded. Mason made Graham better and now that he's gone it's a different situation.

well they have to figure out when most of them will be eligible do to deferred court dates and what happens after that , but yes yes I know Bill there all good kids and speak seven languages, just like your hair is real lol !

People always underestimate the loss of a guy like Mason.

I'm sure they'll win another B12 crown, get overhyped by the media geeks and cough another one up in March.

What? Dude they are losing their best 2 players and replacing it with nothing . Graham most think will leave as well. I mean they will be a top 10 team but still have no size especially since Preston most likely doesn't qualify. There are scarier teams out there for next year if they get everyone back like and I hate to say it but that includes UL ( if the 3 who went pro come back ) .

Jackson and Mason were the heart and soul of their team last year. Losing Jackson is going to make them weaker and I do not care who else they add. Sure they will be good but not as good as this year.

And yet would you bet against them to finish 1st in the Big 12?
At some point they won't win the big 12,might as well be next year,The loss of Mason and Jackson can't be overstated,if Graham leaves as well then things get even worse.Vick might not be there for other reasons,next season is a long way off.

I hit me hard. We were playing in Rupp Arena. We couldn't protect our home turf. I don't want that to happen again for a long, long time
It was one of the games that changed our season(UT being the other)we had a great run at the end but if we win one or both of those and everything else stays the same we are a one and things might go differently. It just took this team longer to get where they needed to be but they got there and had a great year,it didn't end the way we would have liked but it was not what they did to cause it.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Mason was the perfect college guard who also got shielded the entire year.. Newman, nor Vick, are on his level yet, certainty not from the "kiss the ring" level that Mason was at.

Not sure who in the Big12 will care to play them.. Oklahoma can grab a win or two..

Still, that team isn't made to be better than this past year.. Mason/Jackson/Bragg/Lucas > Newmann/Preston/Azubuike

and beat UK in Rupp....that's gotta sting more
Does this still sting?

142352199_8.jpg

From all reports have seen Malik Newman has been really impressive this year.

As for Devonte' an Svi. If one goes they both go ah vice versa. They are like best buds.

Until i see their full roster after Spring signing & draft i'm not gonna comment on how good or bad they will be.

Self doesn't like to go small, but next year's team might be perfect to go small again (like he did this past season). I would start Graham, Newman, Vick, and Mykhailiuk around Preston inside. Bring Azubuike off the bench. At 6'8, Mykhailiuk is big enough to defend most college 4's. This allows Self to have at least one guy over 6'9 on the floor most of the time.

Self likes having two bigs on the floor at the same time running the high/low post game. We will see how much he can get out of Azubuike. He could be a stud or a dud. I think the rest of their top six is pretty good.

I think he'll have to start Azubuike. From what little I've seen of Preston, he strikes me as a skilled 4 and not really a true post player that can play with his back to the basket and protect the rim on defense (think Trey Lyles). He's a nice player, but not really a guy who you can put 4 guards around and let him control the paint. Azubuike isn't very skilled, but he's a beast in the middle.

And Svi plays much smaller than 6'8"... his defense is a liability. Also interested to see how much Malik Newman has improved since his rough freshman year at MSU. He will probably have to carry the load for them next year.

If Self were anything but "selfish" he'll tell Graham, who is what he is, to strike while he's hot. Graham is going to have to play his way on a professional team this year or next year so let him get at it now.

But Self won't. He's still butthurt about bowing out early again in a game he's was favored. He'll tell Graham to come back & be a 1st rounder....lol.

ADVERTISEMENT