ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas fans downplaying the Reid Travis signing

After all the B.S. with teams doing all the illegal stuff to try and keep up with UK and hammer has been swung ..Cal and UK will regain his 09-10 Recruiting momentum and things are going to get nasty for the cbb world! It's all ready begun!

Is this sarcasm? Blake Griffin was an above the rim athletic freak. Reid is more of a below the rim bull.
Was being the key word in your post. Figures someone here can't comprehend the definition of what a poor man's description is. Both big time rebounders, similar in physique. Big men who've developed a perimeter game but still have a way to go. Can score down low with ease. Neither are rim protectors. Shouldn't have to explain myself that he is not as talented as Blake Griffin when I gave him the poor man's description.

If you recently watched him, you'd know that explosiveness Blake has been toned down a notch. He's not washed up by any means and has adapted into a big man who can stretch the floor averaging roughly 2 3's made per game. Numbers I think we'll see from Travis. Why degrade the players we have to make a point? Sorry you or anyone else don't see any comparison in Travis to Blake's game nowadays.

Gonna steal your post and give you my take:

UK vs. KU

Starters

PG Hagans > Dotson (I think Dotson is underrated. Two very similar players. Speed, attack the basket, create for others. Not known for having a developed shot.
SG Quickley < Grimes
SF Johnson < KJ Lawson Not seeing Garrett start at the 3, but coming off the bench. KJ is older, more experienced, taller and after sitting out a year, hungry. :)
PF Washington < D. Lawson May be biased here, but I think Lawson is a potential AA. I put Washington and De Sousa at the same level.
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore
F Montgomery < De Sousa Same athleticism, with an additional year of experience pushes this De Sousa's way. Don't forget De Sousa was top 10, didn't play in AAU during the summer to play for his home country. Dominated the US bigs in the U19 USAs.
C Richards = McCormack If Richards learns to play he takes this match up, but watching him last year, although he has a much higher ceiling than McCormack, I'd give the edge to McCormack, but am going push and giving Richards the benefit of a year of improvement to build off his freshman year.

(Both coaches will play their best 8 most of the game in this heavyweight matchup.)

Coach

Calipari < Self. Self leads this match-up head to head, splitting title appearances (and Memphis had the most talent in CBB in 2008).

Homecourt

UK > KU

(Rupp will be rocking.) - Ref advantage to KU may sway things our way. :)

I think it's really hard to beat a good program four times in a row. It's also really hard for an opponent to win two in a row in Rupp. Agreed.

UK 73 KU 78

LOL at this dumbass posting Memphis was more talented than Kansas in 2008. Memphis had ONE 5* and the rest were good college players. Kansas had maybe the most loaded roster of the decade and was lucky as Hell to win the title. Davidson nearly beat them in the Elite 8.

Man, you have this homer thing down. LOL!

First, I had you list your starters last week and you had Garrett at the 3, so that is your mistake. I figured K. Lawson would start.

Johnson > K. Lawson- talent over experience.

Second, Washington almost left for the draft. Washington was a key player on our Sweet Sixteen team as a Freshman. D. Lawson played for a mid-major program for two years. Yes, you are a little biased.

Third, I will take Montgomery over De Sousa. Montgomery is a composite top 10 player in the 2018 class. De Sousa ranked 36th in the composite 2017 rankings. De Sousa did very little as a Freshmen to make anyone think he was underrated. Once again, a little biased there.

Fourth, McCormack over Richards is extremely biased. Richards was composite 18th in 2017. McCormack was composite 36th in 2018. Plus Richards has a year of experience on McCormack.

Lastly, KU had waaaay more talent than Memphis in 2008. Chalmers, Collins, Robinson, Rush, Arthur, Jackson, and Kaun were all upperclassmen and were all 5 and 4-star talents out of HS. Easily the most talented team in the nation that year.

First, I had you list your starters last week and you had Garrett at the 3, so that is your mistake. I figured K. Lawson would start.

- I was just going through your match-ups. If we were to keep Johnson - Garrett, I would give the nod to Johnson. I will tell you that KU fans in general are super high on this kid and expect a break out season, but I'm hesitant to go all in given how bad his shooting was last year. On offense, teams simply did not defend him on the court because he wasn't a threat to score. Also, to the poster who questioned his height - he is closer to 6'7, than 6'6.

- On this I'm going to disagree. Lawson was composite 55 or 56 in a strong class. Kids improve with age, strength and experience. Take Graham for example - not highly ranked and yet consistently outperformed opponents who had higher NBA potential because a mix of talent, age (strength) and experience. Homer? Maybe. But based on tangible variables.

Second, Washington almost left for the draft. Washington was a key player on our Sweet Sixteen team as a Freshman. D. Lawson played for a mid-major program for two years. Yes, you are a little biased.

- Saying he almost left for the draft is a little misleading. He wanted to leave for the draft, but would have gone un-drafted, so he returned to college. His play in the tournament showed flashes, but he was lambasted here by Kentucky fans for his inconsistent play throughout the season (and his flexing after making baskets :) . Saying D. Lawson played for a mid-major program for two years is also misleading. Ton's of kids who play in mid-majors transfer into P5 conferences and excel. See Stephon Curry for example and many others. Talent is talent and this kid is a stud.

Third, I will take Montgomery over De Sousa. Montgomery is a composite top 10 player in the 2018 class. De Sousa ranked 36th in the composite 2017 rankings. De Sousa did very little as a Freshmen to make anyone think he was underrated. Once again, a little biased there.

- I can go either way here, but De Sousa's rankings dropped because he didn't play summer ball just prior to enrolling in college. It is a pretty common fact that recruiting services penalize players who don't play AAU ball in the summer. He dominated playing for his home country during the U19's, including against team USA that had players ranked higher than him. He was a consensus top 10 prior to that summer. Athletically, the edge goes to Montgomery. Both should be rebounding machines this season.

Fourth, McCormack over Richards is extremely biased. Richards was composite 18th in 2017. McCormack was composite 36th in 2018. Plus Richards has a year of experience on McCormack.

- McCormack is a McD's AA and has transformed his body over the past year. Richard's high school ranking compared to his freshman production suggest he was ranked too high.

Lastly, KU had waaaay more talent than Memphis in 2008. Chalmers, Collins, Robinson, Rush, Arthur, Jackson, and Kaun were all upperclassmen and were all 5 and 4-star talents out of HS. Easily the most talented team in the nation that year.

- Maybe. IIRC Memphis was ranked #1 for most of the season, went 38-2 for the season with one loss (in 13 OOC games) and one loss in the national title game beating a number 1 seed to get to the title game and had the best player in college in Derick Rose.

Reactions: Me and Rex
Was being the key word in your post. Figures someone here can't comprehend the definition of what a poor man's description is. Both big time rebounders, similar in physique. Big men who've developed a perimeter game but still have a way to go. Can score down low with ease. Neither are rim protectors. Shouldn't have to explain myself that he is not as talented as Blake Griffin when I gave him the poor man's description.

If you recently watched him, you'd know that explosiveness Blake has been toned down a notch. He's not washed up by any means and has adapted into a big man who can stretch the floor averaging roughly 2 3's made per game. Numbers I think we'll see from Travis. Why degrade the players we have to make a point? Sorry you or anyone else don't see any comparison in Travis to Blake's game nowadays.

I was comparing him to college Blake. Blake is also a legit 6'10 and scores easier against true college centers because of his athleticism where he would just power dunk over the defender. Reid is 6'8 and struggles against legit centers (DeAndre Ayton doesn't play defense) where he relies on his footwork and his ability to hit the short/mid-range jumper. Reid will make a legit run to 1st team AA status this year, so I'm saying he is a great get for Kentucky.

Reactions: Me and Rex

- I was just going through your match-ups. If we were to keep Johnson - Garrett, I would give the nod to Johnson. I will tell you that KU fans in general are super high on this kid and expect a break out season, but I'm hesitant to go all in given how bad his shooting was last year. On offense, teams simply did not defend him on the court because he wasn't a threat to score. Also, to the poster who questioned his height - he is closer to 6'7, than 6'6.

- On this I'm going to disagree. Lawson was composite 55 or 56 in a strong class. Kids improve with age, strength and experience. Take Graham for example - not highly ranked and yet consistently outperformed opponents who had higher NBA potential because a mix of talent, age (strength) and experience. Homer? Maybe. But based on tangible variables.

- Saying he almost left for the draft is a little misleading. He wanted to leave for the draft, but would have gone un-drafted, so he returned to college. His play in the tournament showed flashes, but he was lambasted here by Kentucky fans for his inconsistent play throughout the season (and his flexing after making baskets :) . Saying D. Lawson played for a mid-major program for two years is also misleading. Ton's of kids who play in mid-majors transfer into P5 conferences and excel. See Stephon Curry for example and many others. Talent is talent and this kid is a stud.

- I can go either way here, but De Sousa's rankings dropped because he didn't play summer ball just prior to enrolling in college. It is a pretty common fact that recruiting services penalize players who don't play AAU ball in the summer. He dominated playing for his home country during the U19's, including against team USA that had players ranked higher than him. He was a consensus top 10 prior to that summer. Athletically, the edge goes to Montgomery. Both should be rebounding machines this season.

- McCormack is a McD's AA and has transformed his body over the past year. Richard's high school ranking compared to his freshman production suggest he was ranked too high.

- Maybe. IIRC Memphis was ranked #1 for most of the season, went 38-2 for the season with one loss (in 13 OOC games) and one loss in the national title game beating a number 1 seed to get to the title game and had the best player in college in Derick Rose.

Mentioning D. Lawson in the same sentence as Stephon Curry is just wrong! LOL!

I was comparing him to college Blake. Blake is also a legit 6'10 and scores easier against true college centers because of his athleticism where he would just power dunk over the defender. Reid is 6'8 and struggles against legit centers (DeAndre Ayton doesn't play defense) where he relies on his footwork and his ability to hit the short/mid-range jumper. Reid will make a legit run to 1st team AA status this year, so I'm saying he is a great get for Kentucky.
Delusional KU fan

I had no idea Billy Preston is about to be 21 years old. Damn Kansas fans. I’m surprised Puke hasn’t come calling. They would make him eligible for sure

giphy.gif

If Travis had instead transferred to Kansas, there’s no way our fans would have downplayed it.
If he would have transferred to Kansas we'd be hearing about how he was the next Karl Malone from those hayseeds.

His breakdowns are walking contradictions. He'll go from Talent being the important factor for one match up, and then Experience the next. And always when it benefits Kansas.

One of my favorites was him saying PJ wouldn't get drafted, when an injured JV went in the early 2nd round. Hami got drafted purely from a atheltic standpoint. PJ had athleticism, wasn't injured, and is a true basketball player. As a Kansas fan, you really should leave the NBA-talk to the side. You're completely out of your element.

Starting to think he's a K-State fan trying to make Kansas fans look like complete idiots. Those match-up comparisons are absurd.

There's a lot of unknowns on both rosters next year, and for the first time in years, Kansas doesn't have experience to rely on, but they finally have a good class that so far, hasn't gotten into any car accidents or taken benefits.

The only position I'd concede to them is Center, Udoka is a beast, and I don't see anyone getting the better of him. Travis will still be new to the team, so Udoka should get his this game.

After that, it doesn't bode well for Kansas. Kentucky has returning experience all across the floor, has a better class. Dotson and Grimes are good, but they're freshman. Not sure how you can say either will be better than Sophomore Green running the point or freshman Hagans. After that we have shooters in the mix, backup NBA worthy guards, and a bevy of forwards that each bring something to the table.

Cal is the best at working with a short time frame. He'll have us ready to go. Will Self?

NO ONE, has any idea how a recruit will turn out. There's very little chance Dotson/Grimes/Moore/KJ equal the single season production of Svi/Newman/Graham. Two are freshman, two are transfers, zero experience with each other and at this level of the game.

Anything can happen. Maybe they are better. But it's not hard to see what a team lost, and what a team gained, and see if they come out better or worse.

Kansas, in no way, is a better team next year on paper..

The KU backcourt (especially if Vick returns) is probably more talented than last year's. Whether they'll equal or surpass its production, who knows? Due to youth, they might fall a little short. But you seem to forget that their frontcourt will be light years better than last year's and they will be far more balanced.

They won't live by the 3 and they'll be able to rebound and get a ton of high percentage shots. This team is absolutely better than last year on paper.

The KU backcourt (especially if Vick returns) is probably more talented than last year's. Whether they'll equal or surpass its production, who knows? Due to youth, they might fall a little short. But you seem to forget that their frontcourt will be light years better than last year's and they will be far more balanced.

They won't live by the 3 and they'll be able to rebound and get a ton of high percentage shots. This team is absolutely better than last year on paper.

The sum of your parts do not add up. Yahtzee....

I'm not sure about "lightyears". You added a transfer and not much else. It's not like you're adding a top10 recruit into the mix.

Meh. If we're going by "on paper".. well, there's a reason why Kentucky is now the preseason favorite.

The pure talent in your backcourt might be better, but you cannot discount losing the leadership and intangibles that Graham brought to the table the last two seasons.

Replacing Graham is an impossible task, especially for a Freshman and a Sophomore transfer.

You guys really need Vick back for experience.

That, however, creates other challenges. How will it affect chemistry with him likely stealing the minutes that K. Lawson is expecting? Self seems to be ready to move on from Vick. I think he wants to make sure the chemistry is right on this team.

You guys should have the best frontcourt in college basketball next season, though. Azubuike is a beast and the Lawson brothers should be very good alongside him.

I was very concerned about how our frontcourt would matchup with yours until we added Travis. Now I think we are not that far behind. You guys still have the edge, but I like the idea of Travis banging inside against Azubuike better than having to rely on Richards or Montgomery down there. Azubuike will get his, but I think Travis will be able to score some as well, to keep it from being too lopsided.

Should be a great game. Playing in Rupp will help us. Freshmen point guards in their first game at Rupp rarely perform well. I think that will be the key for us.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
The pure talent in your backcourt might be better, but you cannot discount losing the leadership and intangibles that Graham brought to the table the last two seasons.

Replacing Graham is an impossible task, especially for a Freshman and a Sophomore transfer.

You guys really need Vick back for experience.

That, however, creates other challenges. How will it affect chemistry with him likely stealing the minutes that K. Lawson is expecting? Self seems to be ready to move on from Vick. I think he wants to make sure the chemistry is right on this team.

You guys should have the best frontcourt in college basketball next season, though. Azubuike is a beast and the Lawson brothers should be very good alongside him.

I was very concerned about how our frontcourt would matchup with yours until we added Travis. Now I think we are not that far behind. You guys still have the edge, but I like the idea of Travis banging inside against Azubuike better than having to rely on Richards or Montgomery down there. Azubuike will get his, but I think Travis will be able to score some as well, to keep it from being too lopsided.

Should be a great game. Playing in Rupp will help us. Freshmen point guards in their first game at Rupp rarely perform well. I think that will be the key for us.

Good take. I watched video of Hagans and he appears to be the same type of point guard as Dotson, with better ability to break you off the dribble and Dotson faster end to end. Both aren't known for shooting. A Grimes/Quickley or Green match-up should favor Grimes.

Light years is a stretch when last year's team went to the final four.

I'm not sure about "lightyears". You added a transfer and not much else. It's not like you're adding a top10 recruit into the mix.

Meh. If we're going by "on paper".. well, there's a reason why Kentucky is now the preseason favorite.

I don't evaluate players by ranking. David McCormack is a physical monster with skill. Maybe the most raw talent of anyone in the frontcourt. De Sousa is a rebounding machine and should be an efficient scorer. Azubuike's FG% was near 80% last year, and he'll be doing everything possible to become more well-rounded to showcase himself for the NBA. Lawson can do a little of everything and could be an AA candidate.

Yes, the frontcourt will be light years better than sophomore Azubuike and sophomore Lightfoot.

Last edited:
Light years is a stretch when last year's team went to the final four.

The backcourt got them to the final four. Not a gimpy Azubuike, inexperienced De Sousa and Lightfoot. I'm not sure why anyone is even debating that this frontcourt will be much better. It's the same guys, a year older, plus a potential AA candidate and a really good freshman.

Light years ahead of last year? You added McCormick and Lawson but will lose DeSousa (sorry but he will be ruled ineligible regardless how innocent Self portrays the kid and Kansas). Kansas fans are in for a rude awakening this season. Newman, Graham and Svi bailed you out several games last year and they’re gone with no one to step up and replace them.

Light years ahead of last year? You added McCormick and Lawson but will lose DeSousa (sorry but he will be ruled ineligible regardless how innocent Self portrays the kid and Kansas). Kansas fans are in for a rude awakening this season. Newman, Graham and Svi bailed you out several games last year and they’re gone with no one to step up and replace them.

This coming from the fan of a program who replaces its guards every damn year? I mean, you don't win the national championship every year, but you usually have good guard play.

Dotson is the most talented PG KU has had in a long time. Probably the fastest guard Self has landed. Grimes is clearly a great talent and will have an immediate impact. And Moore is definitely no slouch. His freshman numbers weren't terribly efficient, but he'll be two years removed with a year in Self's system. Garrett is supposedly already much improved; we'll have to wait and see about that, but he should at least be solid depth.

Let's not forget that Newman was considered a huge bust for much of the season before coming on strong over the last month or so. And Svi made a huge jump between his junior and senior year. Graham made a decent jump himself, especially as a distributor.

By the end of next season, I can easily see this group being equal or better than last year's guards.

This coming from the fan of a program who replaces its guards every damn year? I mean, you don't win the national championship every year, but you usually have good guard play.

Dotson is the most talented PG KU has had in a long time. Probably the fastest guard Self has landed. Grimes is clearly a great talent and will have an immediate impact. And Moore is definitely no slouch. His freshman numbers weren't terribly efficient, but he'll be two years removed with a year in Self's system. Garrett is supposedly already much improved; we'll have to wait and see about that, but he should at least be solid depth.

Let's not forget that Newman was considered a huge bust for much of the season before coming on strong over the last month or so. And Svi made a huge jump between his junior and senior year. Graham made a decent jump himself, especially as a distributor.

By the end of next season, I can easily see this group being equal or better than last year's guards.

Think about what you said about UK always replacing our guards.

Cal has a system designed for that.

Self has a system built around having experienced guards in order to have success.

Best teams under Self at KU had veteran backcourts.

2008- Chalmers, Robinson, Collins. Champs.

2012- Johnson, Taylor, Releford. Runner-up.

2018- Graham, Newman, Vick, Mykhailiuk. Final Four.

I just don't see Freshmen Dotson, Grimes, and Sophomore Moore playing like those veterans.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
You are ahead of yourself...this season will be four straight

So Kansas beat us 3 straight, and we beat them three straight prior to that. Head to head not close, add in your helms titles and still 3 behind. This isn't even a fair debate, take the blindfold off and look around. You might see something.

What doesn't add up?

Slightly less productive backcourt + far more productive frontcourt = better team.

Well Vick returning doesn’t add up. DeSousa is also an uncertain. No guarantee he plays. The rest of the kids who got caught taking money did not play. We didn’t learn about his until after the season ended. He may not suit up next year. Just reality. Facekick is not coming back. Self is on record stating that he hasn’t even talked to him since he left and that he recruited as if he weren’t coming back.

Kansas fans are Loserville fans' biggest challengers in overall stupidity. 9-22, morons.

I like Kansas fans.

They bring beauty to the otherwise obscure and relatively meaningless:

The joy of taking a look under the hood of a car; a second cup of coffee on a bright Sunday morning; winning a conference championship or hanging a banner for Helm's titles.

Indeed. Beauty from ashes. Beauty from nothing relevant to the rest of the world.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
I like Kansas fans.

They bring beauty to the otherwise obscure and relatively meaningless:

The joy of taking a look under the hood of a car; a second cup of coffee on a bright Sunday morning; winning a conference championship or hanging a banner for Helm's titles.

Indeed. Beauty from ashes. Beauty from nothing relevant to the rest of the world.

Has anyone told you that you're entertaining or witty? Ever? Besides your sis...er, girlfriend?

Yet you plug along. That's admirable.

Well Vick returning doesn’t add up. DeSousa is also an uncertain. No guarantee he plays. The rest of the kids who got caught taking money did not play. We didn’t learn about his until after the season ended. He may not suit up next year. Just reality. Facekick is not coming back. Self is on record stating that he hasn’t even talked to him since he left and that he recruited as if he weren’t coming back.

Vick returning isn't highly likely. No one is banking on it. But Self did say that he will talk to Vick and his mom. When he thought he had Langford and/or Cremo, the chance was 0%. Now it's a bit higher.

And he seems very confident De Sousa will play. There are several precedents of similar situations in which the player remained eligible.

And he seems very confident De Sousa will play. There are several precedents of players that were found to have gotten improper benefits and remained eligible.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, at Kansas

And he seems very confident De Sousa will play. There are several precedents of players that were found to have gotten improper benefits and remained eligible.

Yeah, at Kansas[/QUOTE]

Interesting theory. Reality, though, tells us that KU has chosen to hold players out if they had any suspicion of improper benefits.

Your head coach is considered the dirtiest in the game yet all you people do is sling sh*t at everybody else. Hilarious.

Most of your own fanbase considered Calipari a sleazeball until the day he was announced head coach of Kentucky. History was rewritten overnight.

ADVERTISEMENT