ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas fans downplaying the Reid Travis signing

Usually, when people are trying to argue an opposing view, they actually make points that may favor their argument, so maybe you have some stats or points to make that would support your view?

I mean, you've talked all thread long about Kentucky's lack of shooting, but who on the Kansas roster is going to be even a decent 3 point shooter? When has Bill Self relied on point guards who are right out of high school? How many skilled, consistent offensive players are in the Kansas frontcourt aside from Dedric Lawson?

By all means, I would love some meaningful discussion.

I did. I think it was actually in this thread or the one discussing Kentucky being picked pre-season #1 in direct response to your post and answered each of these questions. Consistent scorers in post: Lawson, Udoka, De Sousa. Self has a history of playing freshmen point guards all the way back to his time at Illinois. Three point shooting is our biggest question mark: D. Lawson, KJ Lawson, Lightfoot, Grimes, Moore and Cunliffe should all be serviceable. If by some miracle Self let's Vick return to KU, you can add Vick to that list.

NO ONE, has any idea how a recruit will turn out. There's very little chance Dotson/Grimes/Moore/KJ equal the single season production of Svi/Newman/Graham. Two are freshman, two are transfers, zero experience with each other and at this level of the game.

Anything can happen. Maybe they are better. But it's not hard to see what a team lost, and what a team gained, and see if they come out better or worse.

Kansas, in no way, is a better team next year on paper..

We are a different team this year. Our guards will not have to carry the offense load. Our post players will do that.

I did. I think it was actually in this thread or the one discussing Kentucky being picked pre-season #1 in direct response to your post and answered each of these questions. Consistent scorers in post: Lawson, Udoka, De Sousa. Self has a history of playing freshmen point guards all the way back to his time at Illinois. Three point shooting is our biggest question mark: D. Lawson, KJ Lawson, Lightfoot, Grimes, Moore and Cunliffe should all be serviceable. If by some miracle Self let's Vick return to KU, you can add Vick to that list.

Is Vick in prison or on work release?

against "good" competition....

Stanford vs AZ last year:

Game 1: Ayton: 9 pts, 8 rebs, 6 blocks Travis: 20 pts, 10 rebs

Game 2: Ayton: 12 pts, 10 rebs, 2 blocks Travis: 23 pts, 10 rebs

Against UNC:

Travis: 21 pts. 6 rebs

Against Florida:

Travis: 23 pts, 5 rebs

Against Ohio St.:

Travis: 14 pts, 6 rebs

Against Kansas:

Travis: 12 pts, 4 rebs

Against AZ State:

Travis: 18 pts, 10 rebs (Game 1) 24 pts, 14 rebs (Game 2)

We are a different team this year. Our guards will not have to carry the offense load. Our post players will do that.

I do think your frontcourt is better. Udoka for another year, and whatever Lawson provides. But can Udoka survive the whole season?

As for guards, you're without a doubt far less experienced (that much is a fact), and it's debatable if the new guards will be as productive in this single year. Going to be hard to top the three-point shooting and steadfast play of Svi and Graham.

Not sure how you can say Kansas is better after losing that much production. Ask the pundits.. the media.. I would imagine the consensus is that Kansas won't be as good as last year, and will have some growing pains to endure. Lucky for you, you get MSU.. ASU, Nova at home and then Kentucky. Aside from playing us, you're playing some big name schools but at VERY opportune times.

No Mason. No Graham.

KU will miss the incredible leadership in their backcourt that they have leaned on for the last 3 seasons.

For KU's sake, Moore and Dotson better be ready to lead.

Frontcourt is beastly.

Backcourt is a major, major downgrade from last year.

No one should underestimate the impact Graham had on the KU program.

C73KXWBWsAAlJEw.jpg:large

Reactions: jameslee32
Reside in KC, but am definitely not a Kansas fan.

Low IQ Hillbillies tend to bag on the state of Kansas just to make fun of KU fans. I just speak in truth.
I actually like the state of Kansas...nice wide open views. Once you get past Lawrence it's a nice drive over to Manhattan geographically speaking. Beyond that...well, it gets a bit flat even though you are still driving uphill until you hit Rockies. With that said, Kansas is primarily a farming state, not that there's anything wrong with that...but that's what it is.

I do think your frontcourt is better. Udoka for another year, and whatever Lawson provides. But can Udoka survive the whole season?

As for guards, you're without a doubt far less experienced (that much is a fact), and it's debatable if the new guards will be as productive in this single year. Going to be hard to top the three-point shooting and steadfast play of Svi and Graham.

Not sure how you can say Kansas is better after losing that much production. Ask the pundits.. the media.. I would imagine the consensus is that Kansas won't be as good as last year, and will have some growing pains to endure. Lucky for you, you get MSU.. ASU, Nova at home and then Kentucky. Aside from playing us, you're playing some big name schools but at VERY opportune times.

All valid points. Of course I am biased. Time will tell.

Cats win at Rupp this coming season BIG! It's going to get ugly quick!! Kentucky is and always will be the better program, better players, more Titles, 22-9 head to head!! I love the inferiority complex of ku fans wanting approval, acceptance, so fourth so on! Counting Bread titles with their peach baskets are so cute!! They are the lil red headed softass step sister of a program!! They are called the Chokehawks for a reason are they not!!?? The want to be us so bad along with teams like ,IU,UL, etc.. Their fans are the most ignorant of cbb! It's going to be ugly at Rupp real real ugly!

There is only 1 UK the greatest program in the history of the game! You can't be us but it's cute y'all come here for acceptance lolz! UK is the GOLD standard of the Sport! the Top of the mountain! The Big Dawgs of the Sport, The King of the college game!!

UK vs. KU

Starters

PG Hagans > Dotson
SG Quickley < Grimes
SF Johnson > K. Lawson
PF Washington > D. Lawson
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore
F Montgomery > De Sousa
C Richards > McCormack

(Both coaches will play their best 8 most of the game in this heavyweight matchup.)

Coach

Calipari > Self

(Self has owned Cal lately, but I think Cal takes that personally and will out coach Self this time around.)

Homecourt

UK > KU

(Rupp will be rocking.)

I think it's really hard to beat a good program four times in a row. It's also really hard for an opponent to win two in a row in Rupp.

UK 78 KU 73

Last edited:
UK vs. KU

Starters

PG Hagans > Dotson
SG Quickley < Grimes
SF Johnson > Garrett
PF Washington > D. Lawson
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore
F Montgomery > K. Lawson
C Richards < De Sousa

(Both coaches will play their best 8 most of the game in this heavyweight matchup.)

Coach

Calipari > Self

(Self has owned Cal lately, but I think Cal takes that personally and will out coach Self this time around.)

Homecourt

UK > KU

(Rupp will be rocking.)

I think it's really hard to beat a good program four times in a row. It's also really hard for an opponent to win two in a row in Rupp.

UK 78 KU 73

Gonna steal your post and give you my take:

UK vs. KU

Starters

PG Hagans > Dotson (I think Dotson is underrated. Two very similar players. Speed, attack the basket, create for others. Not known for having a developed shot.
SG Quickley < Grimes
SF Johnson < KJ Lawson Not seeing Garrett start at the 3, but coming off the bench. KJ is older, more experienced, taller and after sitting out a year, hungry. :)
PF Washington < D. Lawson May be biased here, but I think Lawson is a potential AA. I put Washington and De Sousa at the same level.
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore
F Montgomery < De Sousa Same athleticism, with an additional year of experience pushes this De Sousa's way. Don't forget De Sousa was top 10, didn't play in AAU during the summer to play for his home country. Dominated the US bigs in the U19 USAs.
C Richards = McCormack If Richards learns to play he takes this match up, but watching him last year, although he has a much higher ceiling than McCormack, I'd give the edge to McCormack, but am going push and giving Richards the benefit of a year of improvement to build off his freshman year.

Coach

Calipari < Self. Self leads this match-up head to head, splitting title appearances (and Memphis had the most talent in CBB in 2008).

Homecourt

UK > KU

(Rupp will be rocking.) - Ref advantage to KU may sway things our way. :)

I think it's really hard to beat a good program four times in a row. It's also really hard for an opponent to win two in a row in Rupp. Agreed.

UK 73 KU 78

UK vs. KU

Starters

PG Hagans > Dotson (I think Dotson is underrated. Two very similar players. Speed, attack the basket, create for others. Not known for having a developed shot.
SG Quickley < Grimes
SF Johnson < KJ Lawson Not seeing Garrett start at the 3, but coming off the bench. KJ is older, more experienced, taller and after sitting out a year, hungry. :)
PF Washington < D. Lawson May be biased here, but I think Lawson is a potential AA. I put Washington and De Sousa at the same level.
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore
F Montgomery < De Sousa Same athleticism, with an additional year of experience pushes this De Sousa's way. Don't forget De Sousa was top 10, didn't play in AAU during the summer to play for his home country. Dominated the US bigs in the U19 USAs.
C Richards = McCormack If Richards learns to play he takes this match up, but watching him last year, although he has a much higher ceiling than McCormack, I'd give the edge to McCormack, but am going push and giving Richards the benefit of a year of improvement to build off his freshman year.

Coach

Calipari < Self. Self leads this match-up head to head, splitting title appearances (and Memphis had the most talent in CBB in 2008).

Homecourt

UK > KU

I think it's really hard to beat a good program four times in a row. It's also really hard for an opponent to win two in a row in Rupp. Agreed.

UK 73 KU 78
Keep on dreaming you’re losing this year no go back to the gay hawk board.

UK vs. KU

Starters

SG Quickley < Grimes
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore

Coach

Homecourt

UK > KU

UK 73 KU 78

Man, you have this homer thing down. LOL!

First, I had you list your starters last week and you had Garrett at the 3, so that is your mistake. I figured K. Lawson would start.

Johnson > K. Lawson- talent over experience.

Second, Washington almost left for the draft. Washington was a key player on our Sweet Sixteen team as a Freshman. D. Lawson played for a mid-major program for two years. Yes, you are a little biased.

Third, I will take Montgomery over De Sousa. Montgomery is a composite top 10 player in the 2018 class. De Sousa ranked 36th in the composite 2017 rankings. De Sousa did very little as a Freshmen to make anyone think he was underrated. Once again, a little biased there.

Fourth, McCormack over Richards is extremely biased. Richards was composite 18th in 2017. McCormack was composite 36th in 2018. Plus Richards has a year of experience on McCormack.

Lastly, KU had waaaay more talent than Memphis in 2008. Chalmers, Collins, Robinson, Rush, Arthur, Jackson, and Kaun were all upperclassmen and were all 5 and 4-star talents out of HS. Easily the most talented team in the nation that year.

Reactions: SilentsAreGolden

UK vs. KU

Starters

SG Quickley < Grimes
C Travis < Azubuike

Reserves

G Green > Moore

Coach

Homecourt

UK > KU

UK 73 KU 78
Nobody here cares about your take.

Reactions: kev69
ADVERTISEMENT