ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas' 13-year Big 12 title streak

mktmaker

Junior
Jun 5, 2001
Atlanta
After last night's huge upset, many KU fans were singing the blues on their phog site.

"If Preston doesn’t come back, then just enjoy the ride; because if we can win the B12, I’ll consider anything else gravy."

Do many of you think that way...if UK was in their position?

No of course not.

Our standards and exceptions are a little better than just winning the SEC lol

If we won the SEC and went out in the first weekend of the tournament, I can't imagine anyone here being happy

No of course not.

Our standards and exceptions are a little better than just winning the SEC lol

If we won the SEC and went out in the first weekend of the tournament, I can't imagine anyone here being happy

I don't remember much...but I remember the awful feeling after our early tournament losses in 2004, 1994, and 1982 -- all SEC champs.

Last edited:
As long as KU has the arrangement where they get both the home and road whistle, there's no good reason for them not to win the Big XII every year.

Reactions: wcc31
I still have high expectations even without Vanderbilt playing right now, who is arguably the second best player on the team with what he brings to the table.

That streak started in 2005. Here is a look at Final Four appearances by conference since the streak started:

Big 12 - Kansas (2), Oklahoma (1) - 3 appearances
SEC - Kentucky (4), Florida (3), LSU (1), South Carolina (1) - 9 appearances
Big 10 - Michigan State (4), Ohio State (2), Wisconsin (2), Illinois (1), Michigan (1) - 10 appearances
ACC - UNC (5), Duke (2) - 7 appearances
Pac 12 - UCLA (3), Oregon (1) - 4 appearances
Big East - UConn (3), Villanova (2), Georgetown (1), West Virginia (1), Syracuse (1) - 8 appearances

Damn weak SEC

The streak is a total farce, totally orchestrated by corrupt officials, inept competition, & unwarranted media hype.
I've already heard Seth Greenberg call the Big 12 the deepest conference in the country (as he and every espn talking head say every year).

The supposed 2nd best team in the big 12, West Vagina, got de pants by A&M by 30. Only 1 team deserves to be ranked & would be lucky to be ranked in the top 15 by an unbiased, astute media - which we obviously don't have.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Doesn't say much for your coach or conference when the same teams wins it 13 yrs in a row and only one NCAAT with several early round exits as a very high seed.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Without Preston the talking heads will be even more effusive in their praise when they win another one, and they will. The other B12 schools are nothing but doormats.

I hate to sound like an arrogant Kentucky fan, but I've never given a damn about winning the SEC regular season title.

Whooptie friggin' do.

We all know the big tournament at the end is what matters. The regular season is just the vehicle to get there.

That streak started in 2005. Here is a look at Final Four appearances by conference since the streak started:

Big 10 - Michigan State (4), Ohio State (2), Wisconsin (2), Illinois (1), Michigan (1) - 10 appearances
Big East - UConn (3), Villanova (2), Georgetown (1), West Virginia (1), Syracuse (1) - 8 appearances

Damn weak SEC
I was going to ask what happened to UofL's two final four appearances (2012 and 2013)..... but then I remembered: Hookers.

Damn weak SEC

You left out Syracuse in 2013 and 2016.

I hate to sound like an arrogant Kentucky fan, but I've never given a damn about winning the SEC regular season title.

Whooptie friggin' do.

We all know the big tournament at the end is what matters. The regular season is just the vehicle to get there.
When you had to win the regular season title to get to the NCAA it was a big deal but not so anymore.

The streak is impressive............ take off the fan hat and be a regular human being and its impressive just like Gonzaga's streak is impressive just like our the SEC so many damn times is impressive. Its ok to give the competition the respect that they deserve.

The streak is almost as impressive as consecutive years a KU player has beaten up a woman. The #Me Too movement doesnt get past those state borders... thats for sure

Well, ESPN (and others) have convinced many fans of the importance of this record.

Chris Chase of FoxSports.com wrote the following in February 2017:

The Kansas Jayhawks clinched at least a share of the Big 12 title on Wednesday night, the team’s 13th straight regular-season conference championship under Bill Self. That ties a record with John Wooden’s dynastic UCLA teams of the ’60s and ’70s, and makes for one of the great feats in college basketball history

– better than Duke’s title/Final Four runs. Duke?

North Carolina’s ACC dominance (?) under Dean Smith -- and Dean's two NCAA titles in 36 years...

and UCLA’s similar streak.

And it’s almost as good, if not as good, as the record generally accepted to be the best in the history of the sport: Those Bruins winning 10 national titles in 12 years.

https://www.foxsports.com/college-b...st-feat-ucla-bill-self-ncaa-tournament-022317

Last edited:
I'm not trading in any tournament successes, but I like winning the conference, and will get ill-tempered if we go more than a yr. or two w/out at least a share of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kentucky win or co-win (Kansas counts those) the SEC regular season title and the SEC Tournament in 2016? I don't honestly know because I don't honestly care, but if I'm right it certainly didn't make the season a success by Kentucky standards.
Yes, though A&M got the 1 seed because of their cheap-ass win on the Humphries tech.

And if you want an even better example of why conference titles mean jack sh**, consider this- the 93 and the 97 UK teams both finished 2nd. Somehow I don't think the conference champs from those years (Vandy in 93, SC in 97) would trade seasons with those UK teams.

Damn weak SEC
??? Surely you left out a 9 in front of that 7 appearances by The Mighty ACC :weary:

Honestly, if Kentucky had won the SEC that many times in a row only to flame out in the first or second round of the REAL tournament to the likes of double-digit seeds Bucknell or Bradley or Northern Iowa or Virginia Commonwealth or Stanford or Wichita, etc., I'd just be embarrassed by the streak and prefer no one mention it. All it would indicate is that UK played in a third-rate conference.
You mean we don’t ?

IT may seem that way some years. But the SEC has been far superior to the B-12 in the NCAA tournament. Kentucky has nearly three times as many titles as Kansas, so the anchor for each conference is a mismatch. Then the SEC has multiple-title winner Florida, a program with a few other Final Fours, Arkansas, which was a mini-dynasty with a title and championship appearance in the mid-1990s, and Final FOur appearances by several other programs, including LSU, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Georgia, etc.

That dwarfs the cumulative success of the B-12.

...and the SEC has 11 NCAA basketball titles to only 5 for the Big 12.

The way I see it is that a conference streak of 4 or 5 seasons is pretty damn impressive, but after that you have to honestly start asking yourself if maybe it's just that the conference isn't that good. After 10 years you know the conference must be crap and in this case it's proven year in and year out by the early NCAA flameouts.

The way I see it is that a conference streak of 4 or 5 seasons is pretty damn impressive, but after that you have to honestly start asking yourself if maybe it's just that the conference isn't that good. After 10 years you know the conference must be crap and in this case it's proven year in and year out by the early NCAA flameouts.

Exactly. As you said, after a while it ceases being an amazing feat, and becomes a serious question about the competition. Will people still be saying it's such an awesome feat if it reaches 30 yrs in a row?

That’s why I don’t pay attention to the “most all time wins” crap. College basketball, as a finality is which blue blood can win it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT