ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas’ Jalen Wilson isn’t too concerned about UK outside of Oscar

Think we'll see Toppin on Wilson most of the night

Livingston, Fredrick, Wallace, Thiero mix on GD

They need to be told don't leave them to help.

We need to have some plan for them putting Oscar in pick situations with Wilson though. Can't switch that.

Wallace on Dick?? Idk too much of a height mismatch, Dick can get his shot off over most as it is, he could raise up from anywhere on Wallace.
Would be M. St. All over again if that happened.

Wallace will likely be on the PG. and Reeves is our worst defender. Frederick isn’t bad other than a little slow, but he does defrnd smart.
If Cal puts Wallace on Harris, that would be almost as dumb as the lineups he was playing for the first half of the year.

Harris is a non scoring threat pg that is only 6'0", he doesn't even look to score. You put CJ on him, then you pull CJ and put Wheeler on him, but you don't put Wallace on him.

He doesn't seem to know anyone but Oscar. I guess that's somewhat understandable but this team is more than just Oscar. And the other thing is this: everyone says what they NEED to do against Oscar. That's not the problem. Actually keeping him off the glass is another matter entirely. Nobody has done it.
When Oscar has been somewhat contained on the glass, Toppin has taken up the slack.

This will be interesting, because KU simply doesn’t have the size or length to stop him in the paint.

But, we see this all the time, we have a huge advantage somewhere and we sit and watch our huge advantage completely fail.

It'll come down to foul trouble of course. If Oscar can stay out of foul trouble, he should have a good night, but that means he's going to have to give up some layups.

Dumb for him to say it. But if I were going to play UK I would only be concerned about Oscar.

My scouting report would be double Oscar whenever he’s in the paint and triple him when he gets the ball.

I would have one guy follow Wallace and dare the rest to beat me.

But I wouldn’t broadcast that before the game.

Can’t play us that way with the Benny Lineup. That’s exactly what Texas A&M tried to do and we carved them up. Only shot 34% from the perimeter and won by 9. Could have been even more.

Reactions: BigKari
I haven’t watched KU play much this year, but based on what I have read on this thread, I would have a triangle and two defense ready. Have Wallace chase Dick and Toppin chase Wilson. Pack everyone else into the paint and see if the rest of their team can score from 3. I would give that a try, at least.

Doesn’t sound like he respects our outside shooting. Interview is below Bill Self’s video.

Thanks tor the Bulletin Board material Dipweed.
See you tomorrow night in front of 20,000 fired up Wildcat fans.
We will teach you to keep your dang pie hole closed!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Benjamin2008
Doesn’t sound like he respects our outside shooting. Interview is below Bill Self’s video.

Does anyone on this message forum think that the opponent's scouting report doesn't start with Oscar? From his comments, that is what I think he is saying. Self acknowledged the fact that we had three good shooters (sometimes 4) on the floor with Oscar that will make it even more difficult to defend...if we are hitting from the perimeter.

We all know that if our perimeter shots are falling we become a monster to defend. The question mark to me is "how are we going to defend Saturday?". It starts with limiting Jalen Wilson. More importantly, we can't let Dick get off from the perimeter. If our defense lets Dick bang open looks, we will have trouble winning.

KU does not have a matchup for Oscar. The problem is who does Wallace, Reeves and CJ guard?

KU's core players are 6'1 (Wallace will probably take him), 6'6, 6'7, 6'8, 6'8.

Livingston will probably take Dick but the rest are a total mismatch for Reeves and Frederick.

If Cal puts Wallace on Harris, that would be almost as dumb as the lineups he was playing for the first half of the year.

Harris is a non scoring threat pg that is only 6'0", he doesn't even look to score. You put CJ on him, then you pull CJ and put Wheeler on him, but you don't put Wallace on him.
What Wallace on Harris does is make it tougher for them to run their offense. So it's not to stop a non-scoring threat from scoring, it is to keep the facilitator from orchestrating the band. Wallace, I LOVE his DEF. But he may give up too much height to GD. Although not much difference in him and Fredrick in height (1"). I don't want Reeves anywhere near GD. And am afraid he might make CL look silly on Def.

KU does not have a matchup for Oscar. The problem is who does Wallace, Reeves and CJ guard?

Livingston will probably take Dick but the rest are a total mismatch for Reeves and Frederick.
I understand. But we have Toppins height as well plus Reeves in slippery and they will havr trouble catching up

What Wallace on Harris does is make it tougher for them to run their offense. So it's not to stop a non-scoring threat from scoring, it is to keep the facilitator from orchestrating the band. Wallace, I LOVE his DEF. But he may give up too much height to GD. Although not much difference in him and Fredrick in height (1"). I don't want Reeves anywhere near GD. And am afraid he might make CL look silly on Def.

Livingston has the physical tools to defend Dick. He may see some increased clock because of that, and as long as he takes some of the open looks he gets and doesn't insist on a long contested two, I'm perfectly fine with that if it is working.

Otherwise, may have to just go with Cason on Dick. He gives up 4 inches, but Cason has good length and is quicker.

You could be right, I just think Cason, with his size, is too good of a defender to waste on Harris, but yeah, maybe he will he used to smother Harris and make him give the ball up sooner than he wants to.

Wallace on Dick?? Idk too much of a height mismatch, Dick can get his shot off over most as it is, he could raise up from anywhere on Wallace.
Harris is a non scorer, who isn’t looking to score in any way unless it’s wide open, Grady dick like to put the ball on the floor sometimes and Wallace could shut that down, Livingston could be a good chance as well

When Oscar has been somewhat contained on the glass, Toppin has taken up the slack.

This will be interesting, because KU simply doesn’t have the size or length to stop him in the paint.

But, we see this all the time, we have a huge advantage somewhere and we sit and watch our huge advantage completely fail.

It'll come down to foul trouble of course. If Oscar can stay out of foul trouble, he should have a good night, but that means he's going to have to give up some layups.
Two times that's happened with Toppin.

There's only one other player ~ McCullar. He's the same height at Reeves. Calipari will likely have CJ and Wheeler on Harris, Reeves or Wallace on McCullar and Wallace/Livingston on Dick.

Also remember that Pettiford and Yesufu are their 6th and 7th men, getting 16 and 12 MPG each. They are both 6'0 tall.

I was thinking Livingston for the physicality
Livingston can get physical with him(if the refs allow physical play tomorrow), but Livingston can slow him down, my concern was Grady beating him off the dribble some. But the whole game tommrrow is giant mismatches, they have nobody to guard Oscar at all and Kentucky really doesn’t have a great option for Wilson, toppin will get that but Wilson will get his he it to good of player not to have some impact. After that it up for grabs with all the players

spot on you put Toppin, then run thiero when toppin needs a blow on Wilson and you tell them he is literally going to jump into you on every drive so fall back when he makes contact and try and make the official call a charge, kid jumps into defender on every drive

Reactions: kyjeff1
I don't know why, and I have really no baring for this opinion... But for some reason, I feel like this is a Wheeler redemption game. Obviously, we need to stick with the Benny Five, but I feel like Wheeler gives us really good minutes tomorrow night and ultimately could be a difference maker. I'm feeling good about a win tomorrow night, and that scares me haha. I'm just so damn excited for this one. Classic Rupp crowd will be exhilarating whatever the outcome... but win tomorrow, and it's on baby!

Excellent Smithers!
simpsons-mr-burns.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I haven’t watched KU play much this year, but based on what I have read on this thread, I would have a triangle and two defense ready. Have Wallace chase Dick and Toppin chase Wilson. Pack everyone else into the paint and see if the rest of their team can score from 3. I would give that a try, at least.
Yeah, we all know Cal isn't doing that. LOL

He absolutely will be, he and Gradey Dick. But Kansas really only has a few guys. Pretty solid starting lineup, but they have no one for Oscar. Their bench just isn’t particularly impressive either.
Cal doesn’t coach this way but I would have whoever Wilson and Dick is guarding drive into their chest the first 5 minutes of the game and everytime their hand swipes down at the ball you sell the foul. Getting their first foul early…and if you can get them 2 before the 10 minute mark….we win going away. They have nobody that’s a real threat to score consistently beyond those 2

spot on you put Toppin, then run thiero when toppin needs a blow on Wilson and you tell them he is literally going to jump into you on every drive so fall back when he makes contact and try and make the official call a charge, kid jumps into defender on every drive
I expect the Jailhawks to live at the free throw line sadly

Reactions: deep3

Yeah, I think this is one situation where we might see a fair amount of Wheeler if nobody else is quick enough to stay with him. Wheeler outplayed Harris last year, so I think it's a good matchup for us.

With Cal only playing man to man, I think he will likely go with Toppin mainly on Wilson and Wallace mainly on Dick. He’ll probably put Fredrick on Harris to start out and then put Wheeler on him once he comes in. Tshiebwe on their big man and Livingston/Reeves takes the other wing.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
That’s what aTm did. They lost. That’s what UT and Vandy tried to do, they lost.

A&M got lucky Reeves, Wallace and CJ didn’t hit their wide open shots, if they hit any kind of a respectable percentage, UK wins by 20 or more.

Georgia tried to play Oscar straight up and he hung 37 on them. TAMU switched it up and tried to double and triple team Oscar and make everyone else beat them. Toppin and Reeves combined to put 40 on them. As you said, could have been so much worse for TAMU if CJ and Wallace aren't ice cold.

Agree.

Kansas will have to play out of their beaks to beat UK tomorrow night.
Too many variables pointing toward a victory for the Cats:
-Game in Rupp
- UK on 4 game win streak
-KU on 3 game losing streak
-UK has best player
-KU won title last yr, coaching staff, roster not hungry
-UK/Cal have tons to prove having not won an NCAAT game in going on 4 years
Thats alot of hoops for KU to have to jump thru.

• Wow
Reactions: Benjamin2008
ADVERTISEMENT