ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Fields

Caveman Catfan

All-American
Sep 1, 2002
Is OSU in the playoff without him as their missing pierce of the puzzle? Is UGA #1 right now if he is their QB?

I questioned his abilities even after he had been dubbed the most ready HS senior in the country to come right to college and win. But; I have been very impressed. I think UGA chose unwisely.

#1: OSU Without Fields this year: OSU is not undefeated ….maybe on the outside looking in with regard to the playoffs.

#2 UGA With Fields this year: The presence of Fields would have had little bearing on UGA's fortunes this year. UGA runs a past-generation, pedestrian offense symptomatic of Alabama in the pre-Tua days. Run a lot, throw a little, win games by small margins. The UGA HC would not have given his OC a free hand to implement an offense that maximizes Fields' talents.

#3: Where is Fields better off? Obviously Fields is decidedly better off at OSU because of the highlights in #1 and #2 above.....but there was certainly some risk with the new OSU coach in his first full year at the helm of Buckeye nation.

GBB!

Is OSU in the playoff without him as their missing pierce of the puzzle? Is UGA #1 right now if he is their QB?

I questioned his abilities even after he had been dubbed the most ready HS senior in the country to come right to college and win. But; I have been very impressed. I think UGA chose unwisely.
Fields wasn't a fit at UGA for Kirby's non-spread offense. UGA's offense is very similar to Alabama's before Lane Kiffin arrived as OC in 2014. If Kirby went to the spread full-time and Fields was still on the roster, they'd be undefeated and have a legit shot to win the title. Their Defense is incredible.

Fields wasn't a fit at UGA for Kirby's non-spread offense. UGA's offense is very similar to Alabama's before Lane Kiffin arrived as OC in 2014. If Kirby went to the spread full-time and Fields was still on the roster, they'd be undefeated and have a legit shot to win the title. Their Defense is incredible.
They lost to South Carolina not Bama or LSU. At least not yet anyway. UGA should have no trouble beating USC with or without Fields. When you lose a game like that it's a case of just having a really bad day.

Fields was however a bad fit for UGA's offense though. He would have probably never developed at UGA.

They lost to South Carolina not Bama or LSU. At least not yet anyway. UGA should have no trouble beating USC with or without Fields. When you lose a game like that it's a case of just having a really bad day.

Fields was however a bad fit for UGA's offense though. He would have probably never developed at UGA.
When you think about it, Penn State is the team that got hurt the most with Fields. He was committed to them before he flipped to UGA. Maybe Penn State would be undefeated right now had Fields remained solid?

Of course they would be in the playoffs without him. Hoak would lead them there. .

UGA didn't choose. Fields chose to leave to go where he decided he had an easier path to starting. He almost transferred back to Georgia after spring practice as it didn't go so well according to his father. Obviously, something has clicked since spring with Justin.

There was no doubt Fields was talented when he arrive on campus. I am not privy to inside knowledge but I don't think we had open competition at QB, after all from had just led us to the playoffs and SEC championship as a frosh. When he got to play it was mostly handing off to a 4th string RB into the A gap. He was a huge loss for us, and yes Wei believe we would be 12-0 with him with a great shot at winning the NC. Our defense is legit, but they can't keep us in games with multiple 3 and outs in a row. The offense can't be inept and ours has been most of the year.

Reactions: theTcat
#1: OSU Without Fields this year: OSU is not undefeated ….maybe on the outside looking in with regard to the playoffs.

#2 UGA With Fields this year: The presence of Fields would have had little bearing on UGA's fortunes this year. UGA runs a past-generation, pedestrian offense symptomatic of Alabama in the pre-Tua days. Run a lot, throw a little, win games by small margins. The UGA HC would not have given his OC a free hand to implement an offense that maximizes Fields' talents.

#3: Where is Fields better off? Obviously Fields is decidedly better off at OSU because of the highlights in #1 and #2 above.....but there was certainly some risk with the new OSU coach in his first full year at the helm of Buckeye nation.

GBB!
Don't believe everything you hear. Georgia threw the ball more than Ohio State and Oklahoma this year. Bama throws the ball about 3.4 times more per game than we do.

UGA didn't choose. Fields chose to leave to go where he decided he had an easier path to starting. He almost transferred back to Georgia after spring practice as it didn't go so well according to his father. Obviously, something has clicked since spring with Justin.

UGA chose Fromm. Everyone knows that. Fields knew that. You are a UGA apologist. You know that UGA chose Fromm. I think UGA chose unwisely.

Reactions: theTcat
I haven’t watched fields much at all, but see highlights of course and I didn’t know until today that the kid threw for 37 touchdowns and only 1 interception. He also ran for 10 touchdowns. Unless those 37 touchdown passes were all shovel passes :joy: that’s pretty incredible .

Don't believe everything you hear. Georgia threw the ball more than Ohio State and Oklahoma this year. Bama throws the ball about 3.4 times more per game than we do.

OSU has one of the best rushing offenses in the country. OSU has one of the best offenses in the country. It also has the highest ranked defense. Probably, in part, because it’s offense is so potent.

It's doesn't matter if you throw a bunch of safe passes that don't gain any yardage or scores. Georgia is #76 in passing yards this year.. That is in the same area as UT and USCjr and nobody is going to claim that those teams are prolific in the passing game. For what it worth Oklahoma was 60 spots higher and OSU 30 spots higher in passing yards. Bama threw for 1500 more yards in those three more attempts.

Georgia's loss to USCjr was nothing more than a failure to score points. I agree with the above that Kirby is pre-Kiffen Alabama philosophy. Maybe they can break the trend of having to score a lot of points in order to win the playoffs.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
OSU has one of the best rushing offenses in the country. OSU has one of the best offenses in the country. It also has the highest ranked defense. Probably, in part, because it’s offense is so potent.
That really has nothing to do with my comment about passing offenses. I was replying to a comment about Georgia not throwing the ball. People hear a media guy say something ridiculous and wrong and it grows legs... example: SC third string QB beat UGA. They never ran a play in our red zone until overtime. They scored one offensive td before we knocked Hilinski out of the game and never scored anymore offensive points until a fg in the 2nd overtime. We handed SC the game.
We actually throw the ball was the point of my response to the other post.
Disclaimer: I could totally understand a Kentucky fan not realizing we throw the ball very often because we didn't throw much in the monsoon when you guys came to Athens.

Reactions: uofkFTW18
It's doesn't matter if you throw a bunch of safe passes that don't gain any yardage or scores. Georgia is #76 in passing yards this year.. That is in the same area as UT and USCjr and nobody is going to claim that those teams are prolific in the passing game. For what it worth Oklahoma was 60 spots higher and OSU 30 spots higher in passing yards. Bama threw for 1500 more yards in those three more attempts.

Georgia's loss to USCjr was nothing more than a failure to score points. I agree with the above that Kirby is pre-Kiffen Alabama philosophy. Maybe they can break the trend of having to score a lot of points in order to win the playoffs.
Our passing issues are we've been missing deep throws especially and Fromm has struggled since Florida hitting around 50% since JAX. It's knocked Jake from +70% passing down to around 62%.
Our offense has most Dawgs scratching our heads. We've been 2 or 3 plays away in every game this year from blowing teams out. We aren't executing routinely and it's been unforced. If we execute like we can Saturday we can win. If we don't it could get ugly if that LSU offense is humming.

Reactions: NavyCat88
That really has nothing to do with my comment about passing offenses. I was replying to a comment about Georgia not throwing the ball. People hear a media guy say something ridiculous and wrong and it grows legs... example: SC third string QB beat UGA. They never ran a play in our red zone until overtime. They scored one offensive td before we knocked Hilinski out of the game and never scored anymore offensive points until a fg in the 2nd overtime. We handed SC the game.
We actually throw the ball was the point of my response to the other post.
Disclaimer: I could totally understand a Kentucky fan not realizing we throw the ball very often because we didn't throw much in the monsoon when you guys came to Athens.

UGA has the # 76 passing offense with the QB it chose to start. OSU is about #45 under Fields.

Bottom line: If UGA still had Fields, Kirby Smart would still have the better of the two QBs sitting on the bench (season unchanged for UGA). OSU is #1 and undefeated because they caught Fields in the transfer process and maximized his talents.

“UGA threw the ball more”.....Your point is well taken. Pass Attempts are in UGA’s favor, but to what end? More incompletions, more interceptions and less TDs.

This year, OSU recognized/utilized Fields’ talents. Last year, UGA kept him on the bench except in blowouts where they let him hand the ball off......AND they did have that ill advised fake punt against Bama last year.

This year, Completed passes and TDs are heavily in Fields favor....plus he is a valuable rusher.....Jake from State Fromm is a less effective QB by comparison (Source ESPN).

Fields:
189/277 for 2654 yards and 37 passing TDs (1int)/Rating 192.1
Fromm:
194/313 for 2385 yards and 21 passing TDs (3int)/Rating 146.2

PLUS QB ground game
Fields:
111 rushes for 470 yards and 10 TDs
Fromm:
30 rushes for 4 yards and 0 TDs

I suppose you could say UGA and OSU and Fields and Fromm are all better off at the schools they attend given the offenses the HC’s employ. BUT......IMO the stat line disparity between two QBs that used to be on UGA’s roster calls the UGA HC’s offense and talent evaluation skills into question.

To me, OSU and Fields have benefited much more from Fields’ transfer. UGA would have been status quo regardless.

GBB!

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Bottom line: If UGA still had Fields, Kirby Smart would still have the better of the two QBs sitting on the bench (season unchanged for UGA). OSU is #1 and undefeated because they caught Fields in the transfer process and maximized his talents.

“UGA threw the ball more”.....Your point is well taken. Pass Attempts are in UGA’s favor, but to what end? More incompletions, more interceptions and less TDs.

This year, OSU recognized/utilized Fields’ talents. Last year, UGA kept him on the bench except in blowouts where they let him hand the ball off......AND they did have that ill advised fake punt against Bama last year.

This year, Completed passes and TDs are heavily in Fields favor....plus he is a valuable rusher.....Jake from State Fromm is a less effective QB by comparison (Source ESPN).

Fields:
Fromm:

PLUS QB ground game
Fields:
Fromm:

I suppose you could say UGA and OSU and Fields and Fromm are all better off at the schools they attend given the offenses the HC’s employ. BUT......IMO the stat line disparity between two QBs that used to be on UGA’s roster calls the UGA HC’s offense and talent evaluation skills into question.

To me, OSU and Fields have benefited much more from Fields’ transfer. UGA would have been status quo regardless.

GBB!

It may be that in the short time the OSU staff has worked with JF, they have done a better job developing his talent. Fromm shows some signs of actual regression, or at least has not developed as one might expect.

And, I am not sure many fan bases would believe Fields actually considered returning to UGA after a spring in Columbus. That is a hard swallow.

Fields has been outstanding this year (I still argue he should have been forced to RS like all the other kids had to before him) but alas...he's been amazing and is a legit heisman candidate.

I'm holding out judgement on him until he plays in NCAA playoff. I hope LSU beat UGA and gets back to #1 seed they deserve. Justin would then have to play at high level vs. Clemson in first round and then possibly LSU in final round to then really show if he's that good (or BIg10 defenses are not so good)

Fields:
Fromm:

PLUS QB ground game
Fields:
Fromm:

GBB!
We don't have a lack of talent on offense... that's what's so aggravating.

It may be that in the short time the OSU staff has worked with JF, they have done a better job developing his talent. Fromm shows some signs of actual regression, or at least has not developed as one might expect.

And, I am not sure many fan bases would believe Fields actually considered returning to UGA after a spring in Columbus. That is a hard swallow.
The story about Fields contemplating returning to UGA was told by his father in a Columbus paper.

Fields is great. OSU is a much better fit for him. Big 10 defenses he faced are all a step slower than anything he faced in the sec. Finally the talent disparity between osu offense and any slow big ten defense is much wider than anything he had at Georgia.

Add it all up and it's pretty clear why he had a monster year

Interesting and inconsistent. The one article claims he wanted to come home shortly after arriving in Columbus in Jan. The other suggests it was over the summer. The first is more believable, as it quotes his dad saying Justin did not know anyone.

So, I don’t think your “after spring” practice was accurate. It is a significant distinction. Your comment implies football might have played a role, rather than solely homesickness.

Last edited:
UGA runs a past-generation, pedestrian offense symptomatic of Alabama in the pre-Tua days. Run a lot, throw a little, win games by small margins.

I'll be very surprised if Saban doesn't return to what you call, "... pedestrian offense symptomatic of Alabama in the pre-Tua days." He has repeatedly said the last few years that any team that can't run the football is a fraud. Saban is at his best with 'good' quarterbacks and a 'great' defense. (It's not the only way to win, but it's his formula for winning.) Tua is a generational talent and Saban allowed offense to build around Tua's talents. Everything hinged around Tua, and now he's out.

To OP's question, I give Smart lots of credit. He stuck with his winning formula. I think UGa would be better with Fields only because of their lack of good receivers and Fields' ability to run the ball. Having Fromm & Fields was an embarrassment of riches. (ie, Tua & Hurt) I'm guessing Smart would've continued to give majority of snaps to his upperclassman unless Fields came in to save the day against SC.

I don't know enough about OSU's 2nd string backup, but we do know (believe) OSU would have a at least one loss if Hoak was qb. That's not a knock against Hoak. Fields is a top echelon athlete and qb.

Interesting and inconsistent. The one article claims he wanted to come home shortly after arriving in Columbus in Jan. The other suggests it was over the summer. The first is more believable, as it quotes his dad saying Justin did not know anyone.

So, I don’t think your “after spring” practice was accurate. It is a significant distinction. Your comment implies football might have played a role, rather than solely homesickness.
Whatever dude... semantics on your part. I don't think you believed it until I showed you. It sounds like Pablo was behind the transfer more than Justin to some people.

Whatever dude... semantics on your part. I don't think you believed it until I showed you. It sounds like Pablo was behind the transfer more than Justin to some people.

You may not know what “semantics” means. LOL

Reread your post. You suggested something that was false.

And, I did NOT believe Justin wanted to re-enroll at UGA after spring practice. You are correct that I found that unbelievable. And, for good reason. It made no sense and was not true.

And, I did NOT believe Justin wanted to re-enroll at UGA after spring practice. You are correct that I found that unbelievable. And, for good reason. It made no sense and was not true.
You didn't believe Justin wanted to go back to UGA at all. It's all good... we'll be okay as will Fields. Our future is bright and we are the youngest team in the SEC (again).

You didn't believe Justin wanted to go back to UGA at all. It's all good... we'll be okay as will Fields. Our future is bright and we are the youngest team in the SEC (again).

You wanted people to believe that Justin was disappointed because spring practice went poorly. That was a bunch of bunk. I did not believe that crap for good reason. But, I do believe there are many UGA fans who would buy that load.

Hard to say what OSU would be like this year without Fields. Day has proven to be excellent at developing QB’s, which was the primary draw for Fields to go to OSU. Dwain Haskins went from nobody to a 1st round draft pick last year under Day’s coaching, and he set numerous OSU passing records.

Plus, Fields transfer to OSU set off a serious of QB transfers and a decommitment from OSU. Their top two backups from last year both transferred out and their top QB commit decommitted and ironically, signed with Georgia. All that led to OSU pursuing Hoak and a transfer QB from West Virginia, who is now the backup to Fields.

Had Fields not gone to OSU then their QB depth chart would look completely different than it does today.

ADVERTISEMENT