ADVERTISEMENT

Just heard on the post-game that Willis tweeted out "The G league sucks"

All of our kids that aren't projected to be drafted in the 1st round need to listen to Derek and stay at UK until they can be assured of never having to go down there.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
All of our kids that aren't projected to be drafted in the 1st round need to listen to Derek and stay at UK until they can be assured of never having to go down there.
Didn't a couple of first rounders end up there also, but still making a fat check

Probably better than lying on the concrete passed out drunk with the car running, however. JK. Love D Will.

That type of comment isn't going to go over well with his employer

Why would his employer care? He's stating the obvious. They know the G league sucks as they are stuck in it too.

The who existence of the G/D/P league is to be a farm team for the NBA and keep playing even if you aren't ready for the NBA in hope of developing or proving your talent. Like A/AA/AAA baseball - compared to the MLB and bigtime college ball, it sucks.

Reactions: morgousky
Why would his employer care? He's stating the obvious. They know the G league sucks as they are stuck in it too.

The who existence of the G/D/P league is to be a farm team for the NBA and keep playing even if you aren't ready for the NBA in hope of developing or proving your talent. Like A/AA/AAA baseball - compared to the MLB and bigtime college ball, it sucks.

You've clearly never been to a minor league baseball game. Heads and tails more fun than any MLB game, that's for sure. Cheap seats, cheap beer, great baseball, and some of the best in-game entertainment anywhere.

Not saying that the NBA is emulating that style, but on baseball I think you're wrong that MLB is better/more fun than minor league games.

latest

Becuase it's not going to help sell tickets or merchandise when you have players denigrating it. If you just let players get away with insulting the league all they want, why should fans buy a ticket if it's so awful?

Reactions: RonEJones
Who cares.. I tell the owner of the mines I work at every week all of his equipment is Fn junk.. And I don't leave out the word Fn..
There's quite a big difference in saying the equipment is junk to the owners and going on public record blasting the organization as a whole.

Becuase it's not going to help sell tickets or merchandise when you have players denigrating it. If you just let players get away with insulting the league all they want, why should fans buy a ticket if it's so awful?

They don’t buy tickets. It’s farm ball - no one goes which is why he thinks it sucks.

Look - he may have the coach “talk” to him about it - if they even catch wind of the comment - but he’s not in any real trouble.

Last edited:
You've clearly never been to a minor league baseball game. Heads and tails more fun than any MLB game, that's for sure. Cheap seats, cheap beer, great baseball, and some of the best in-game entertainment anywhere.

Not saying that the NBA is emulating that style, but on baseball I think you're wrong that MLB is better/more fun than minor league games.

Admittedly I’m not a minor league regular but the few games I’ve attended were sparsely attended - which was good for me but bad for the players; which is whom I’m referencing.

Reactions: TheDude73
They don’t buy tickets. It’s farm ball - no one goes which is why he thinks it sucks.

Look - he may have the coach “talk” to him about it - even they even catch wind of the comment - but he’s not in any real trouble.
I just said it won't go ever well with his employers. I didn't say he was going to get fired.

So you say it sucks because no one goes. Then you publicly blast the league for sucking. That's counter productive.

I applauded him for his honesty when he said it. If you're him it is what it is....your eligibility is up. These other guys who need to hear that message hopefully will lend it some credence.

what's that sound? It's the sound of Derek Willis shrinking from any big moment he ever had in a UK uniform and bricking any important shot that we needed in a crucial time.

He should've taken a knee, right?
The reaction to that would have depended on his team's owner. I can't vouch for that. I don't know of any remotely good owner of any business that would approve of his highest profile employees (which in this case is the players) going on record saying the product sucks.

Reactions: Willy4UK
It does suck. I’ve seen a few videos of some of our guys playing for some random obscure teams in the G league and there was legitimately like 37 people in the stands lol.

Seems to me it would be quite easy to get “lost in the shuffle” of the G-League.

Last edited:
Reactions: RonEJones

Ask any of the players at that minor league game if they would rather be there than in the major leagues.

It was not directed at the current players. Honestly it was a terrible interview. He was supposed to be there to get the crowd fired up like they did with the Darius Miller video against UT. Ravi asked him how things are going wherever he is now and he said "It's ok. The g-league sucks but I'm fine with it for now." Which was pretty funny.

Then they asked him the total softball set up question "what do you have to say to the BBN" and instead of saying to get fired up and cheer on the players he spent about 40 seconds talking about how much we have been losing and it sucks to lose and they went through a rough stretch last year and yadda yadda yadda about losing. Then he finally got around to saying get loud in the final 8 minutes, and he delivered it with the emotive force you would expect from a guy whose facial expression did not change in four years.

Reactions: morgousky
Ask any of the players at that minor league game if they would rather be there than in the major leagues.

No way man - the cheap beer and great seats for the 15 folks in attendance really makes it a great experience for the players - just ask our minor league baseball aficionado, dude73.

ADVERTISEMENT