ADVERTISEMENT

Just got back from Cancun and guess what I saw....

Macy's socks

Senior
Nov 29, 2009
Paducah
I was about 15 minutes south of the hotel strip, at the Royalton out in the sticks so not in the middle of all the crowds and what do I see? This little old white man at the resort with a Big Baller Brand Tshirt.

It's the first time I've been on vacation and not seen a fellow UK fan. Guys, we have been overtaken lol.

Reactions: Cats192
I was about 15 minutes south of the hotel strip, at the Royalton out in the sticks so not in the middle of all the crowds and what do I see? This little old white man at the resort with a Big Baller Brand Tshirt.

It's the first time I've been on vacation and not seen a fellow UK fan. Guys, we have been overtaken lol.

How was the Royalton?

It was really nice, seaweed made the beach hard to enjoy. The staff was amazing, food was top notch as well. I am going to consider their new St. Lucia property for next year's vacation.
Been 20 years since I went to Cancun, stayed at the Royal Islander a few years in a row. Fantastic place. love the breakfast spread they had every morning in the restaurant.
Also liked the open air markets where you can haggle.

Probably found the tee shirt in a Tijuana bargain bin.

Thanks, were looking there as a vacation spot.
The Grand Oasis Tulum or Akumal beach resort are both terrific. Grand Oasis is really laid back and on a quiet beach with GREAT snorkeling right off the beach. Akumal beach resort also has great snorkeling, the sea turtles feed on the grass right in front of the hotel, and is on a much busier but picture perfect beach ( Akumal Beach.) I would also highly recommend Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujers . It's a 20 minute ferry ride from Cancun. It's on Playa Norte Beach which can't be beat.

Last edited:
Reactions: KYtotheCore

He probably can't see that well anymore and thought it said Big Balls.

Growing up in Indiana, and also living in NCarolina and Virginina, it's always been really cool running into random Kentucky fans. Some of you that have spent your entries lives in the commonwealth have probably never gotten to enjoy that neat exp.

The Grand Oasis Tulum or Akumal beach resort are both terrific. Grand Oasis is really laid back and on a quiet beach with GREAT snorkeling right off the beach. Akumal beach resort also has great snorkeling, the sea turtles feed on the grass right in front of the hotel, and is on a much busier but picture perfect beach ( Akumal Beach.) I would also highly recommend Privilege Aluxes on Isla Mujers . It's a 20 minute ferry ride from Cancun. It's on Playa Norte Beach which can't be beat.

Supposed to stay at Dreams Tulum this winter.

I hear Lavar is running for Senator in California. Might be an upgrade...

Probably found the tee shirt in a Tijuana bargain bin.

Hopefully it ended up there in the way these did.
18s4fuqvykfg8jpg.jpg

Supposed to stay at Dreams Tulum this winter.

If you get a craving for pizza, try Piola in Tulum. Brick oven, thin crust, very tasty. Ask for the house dipping sauce - crushed habaneros in olive oil. Ice cold beer and very good pizza. For a good breakfast, check out Azafran and get the Hangover Breakfast. Nice outdoor garden seating.

Reactions: Aike
In Cancun in March 15. Saw the UL sweet 16 game, a lot of U.K. Fans and a sad UL couple. Pissed
The Sunday Michigan game was delayed by at least 15-20 seconds on tv due to so much cloud cover and direct tv. U.K. Fans had to beg on Friday and Sunday to open sports bar. They had no clue if it did not have a soccer league or Mexican baseball.
Watched most on phone A Harrison's shot. Whisky fans were ok but did not want to play UK. Rooted for mich.

That was a surreal 2 week party, shame laid egg in championship.

Am in Charlotte quite a bit, sometimes wearing colors. Get lots of "Go Cats" from folks. There are lots of UK decals there as well. Living in SC and there's Kentucky folk all over.

Am in Charlotte quite a bit, sometimes wearing colors. Get lots of "Go Cats" from folks. There are lots of UK decals there as well. Living in SC and there's Kentucky folk all over.

I've traveled all over the country and have always found Cats fans everywhere. Of course, I wear the gear and my car is marked in UK magnets pretty good too. I've even had people chase me down (well, catch up and pass me is what I meant) just so they can beep their horn and wave or even show me some UK gear themselves as they go by up in the Pacific Northwest. It's fun being a UK fan on the road somewhere. Don't know why so many on this board feel we are totally hated outside of Kentucky, not been my experience at all.

I live in the DFW area and I see a few UK shirts from time to time, but a lot more than used to be. Went to high school for a year with a kid that moved to Oklahoma. Found out through my father that he was living in Keller, Texas, where I used to live. Gave him a call and he didn't remember me but did say, "Man, I sure do love those Wildcats!".

Hopefully it ended up there in the way these did.
18s4fuqvykfg8jpg.jpg

Well they do need clothes there and there's no sense letting them go to waste right? Still vintage sports phantom merchandise (remember it's not supposed to exist) is quite a neat and popular collectible. And it's not just sports that has phantom collectibles either:

Deweytruman12.jpg

6f05c57c061be56e7ad6c9be83e17e85.jpg

ba1.jpg

hillary-president-headline.jpg

I've traveled all over the country and have always found Cats fans everywhere. Of course, I wear the gear and my car is marked in UK magnets pretty good too. I've even had people chase me down (well, catch up and pass me is what I meant) just so they can beep their horn and wave or even show me some UK gear themselves as they go by up in the Pacific Northwest. It's fun being a UK fan on the road somewhere. Don't know why so many on this board feel we are totally hated outside of Kentucky, not been my experience at all.
Very little hate because very few outside of Kentucky are ardent bb fans like we are. A lot of folks see the blue UK stuff and think of the state (horses, geography etc) moreso than sports.

I have spent a lot of time in DC over the last decade and have lived here the last couple of years.

Have noticed a large volume of tourists wearing UK gear that seem confused when I speak to them.

I tend to think they forget what they are wearing and wonder why someone in DC would be saying "Go Cats!"

This isn't just a couple of isolated instances, either. I've observed this trend for quite a while now.

I've been seeing reports about tainted alcohol being served in the all inclusives. Possibly drugged. Mexico starting to take that seriously supposedly. Did you notice anything different with regard to security...around the bar etc....

Reactions: Bluest Member
I've been seeing reports about tainted alcohol being served in the all inclusives. Possibly drugged. Mexico starting to take that seriously supposedly. Did you notice anything different with regard to security...around the bar etc....

I read that the second day we were down there. I didn't see any security around bars at all. Royalton is set way back about 2 miles off the main road and has two security checkpoints you must clear before you get to the main entrance. Now all the resorts jammed along the road where the Hotel Zone is located may be a different story. There's alot more chance for wrong doing with the amount of people in that limited area.

I have run into U.K. Fans in London, Hong Kong , Paris, Israel and Germany .
A hilarious thing happened in Germany . We crossed the street on a red light in Düsseldorf with no traffic in sight . Germans are so structured a German guy gave us hell for violating the rules . He heard my accent and looked at my UK hat and said you Canadians think you can get away with anything .

Reactions: UKUGA and mktmaker
I have spent a lot of time in DC over the last decade and have lived here the last couple of years.

Have noticed a large volume of tourists wearing UK gear that seem confused when I speak to them.

I tend to think they forget what they are wearing and wonder why someone in DC would be saying "Go Cats!"

This isn't just a couple of isolated instances, either. I've observed this trend for quite a while now.
I was in Boston in March, and I only saw one other guy in a UK jacket. He looked at me like I was crazy when I yelled Go Cats...

Reactions: UKUGA
ADVERTISEMENT