ADVERTISEMENT

Just finished watching UK vs. KU 1991

Jul 21, 2015
Random thoughts:
Rupp was loud that day. Dude w/ Larry Conley made the comment that he knew how the Christians must've felt facing the lions in the coliseum.
I loved that team; they really are unforgettable to me.
Sean Woods had a monster game; I'd forgotten what a set of handles that kid had.
John Pelphrey is the only Wildcat ever that I knew, knew that he took UK losses harder than I did.
Damn, I loved watching that team; makes me hate Pitino worse for turning his back on his UK legacy.

Was in lower arena student section for that one. The noise never stopped all day. For my money, it was the loudest from start to finish with no breaks of loudness, of any in Rupp history.

People tend to forget, but that Kansas team was the national Runners-up. UK just thumped a very good KU team that night.

People tend to forget, but that Kansas team was the national Runners-up. UK just thumped a very good KU team that night.
Really? I didn't remember that; i thought it was unlv. They were unranked in this early season matchup.

Looking back, Pitino has had one of the biggest "fall from grace " careers in coaching that I've ever seen, in any sport. After Baylor and Penn State football, his name is not far behind. Gotta be a top 5-10 fall in the history of modern sports.

It's not a coincidence either. Lots of people close to Pitino told him not to take that Job. Pitino is a good lesson for the consequences of pride. His ego must be amazing.

The only history he will be able to point to to express his happiest and most successful times were in Lexington.

Rick is proof for all future coaches that want to flirt with Louisville. Rick Pitino couldn't do it, and it ruined him.

Cal wouldn't touch that job with a pole as long as California.

I remember talking to Father Bradley in 1996 after my son's baptism. I flat out asked him if Pitino would leave Kentucky. He bluntly said if the Celtics came calling, he would leave. He proved to be a prophet a year later.

I remember talking to Father Bradley in 1996 after my son's baptism. I flat out asked him if Pitino would leave Kentucky. He bluntly said if the Celtics came calling, he would leave. He proved to be a prophet a year later.

It was widely known he was wanting the Celtics job at the time. Pitino flirted with the nba during the last several seasons be was here. It hurt recruiting a great deal as opponents used it against us, especially coach K.

If i remember right in that game the crowd was chanting "run it up!" wanting the cats to embarrass KU for what they did to us the year earlier.

Sweetest revenge game ever? Kansas fans like to blather on about the romp the year before but they ignore that same team turned around and ran their asses off the court the very next season...something like a 70 point turnaround. Not sure if that's ever happened in college basketball.

I remember the Cats going up 20 and someone in the crowd holding up a sign that said "paybacks are hell".

ADVERTISEMENT