ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Allen - Nagurski award winner National Def Player of Year

Am i the only one who believes josh Allen deserves to be in the conversation as greatest wildcat ever? We always go to offensive players and I get it. It’s the same reason defensive players never win the heisman. But he was the most dominant defensive player I’ve ever seen at Kentucky. I think he deserves to be in the conversation.

Gonna be a HUGE week for Josh... Thur night he finds out about Bednarik (def player yr) and Walter camp (Player of year) and I think Butkus award LB). Then I think Lott Impact is over weekend or early next week. AND .. he's a finalist still for Hendricks award (DE.)

Has anyone every been a finalist for BOTH the best LB AND best DE in same year. Been watching college FB a long time and can't ever remember that before.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Has anyone every been a finalist for BOTH the best LB AND best DE in same year. Been watching college FB a long time and can't ever remember that before.

I was wondering about that, how he could be put in with the DE award since that's not the position he plays - but whatever.

Am i the only one who believes josh Allen deserves to be in the conversation as greatest wildcat ever? We always go to offensive players and I get it. It’s the same reason defensive players never win the heisman. But he was the most dominant defensive player I’ve ever seen at Kentucky. I think he deserves to be in the conversation.
Absolutely should be near the top. I think hes gonna go and have a special career in the nfl

This is one of those players that sometimes gets overlooked and plays at Monmouth, gets drafted lottery and everybody is like why are they drafting a guy from Monmouth? Coaches can’t see all the diamonds in the rough but we got one this time.

Reactions: The-Hack
Well deserved honor and without Blue Bias, I think he was the best Defensive Player I’ve seen all season

Legit top five pick in NFL draft

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Should be head to ny for the heisman. Any qb from ou will make it: congrats to josh allen he deserves it!

Couch the only better wildcat imo. Allen is really close. Tough to edge out the #1 overall pick.

But definitely the best defensive player in UK history

Reactions: Jazzycat
This right here proves that you don't have to be a highly rated player to become something special. This kid was rated average and is now going to be drafted in the top 5 and will make bank.
Props to him and his future. GBB

The question is where would he be today had we passed on him and he ended up at Monmouth? I believe he was a wide receiver that barely started playing defense before he committed to Monmouth.

It took a lot of luck for him to end up here. We had a couple of late decommitments. Allen's coach talked to another high school coach that has a brother on our staff as a quality control assistant (Louie Matsakis). He called up his brother and told him about Allen and then his brother contacted DJ Eliot and the rest is history.

So we need to thank the players that decommited (DaVon Hamilton and Jason Strowbridge) or who knows how things might have turned out for Allen and Kentucky. He likely wouldn't be a high draft pick and we probably end up with another 7 win season at best.

Reactions: kritikalcat
I saw someone post that Josh was only the 4th player from the SEC to win this. I think they said only Jonathan Alllen, Champ Bailey and Glen Dorsey were the others. Anyone know if this true? Makes the award even more amazing,

Better go take a look at Art Still. Couch not in the running.
It's not a knock on Allen to mention Art Still. It's a different era, but Still would shut down the side he was playing on. They ran away from him as much as possible. As I have said before, can you imagine having them both on opposite sides of the line?

It's not a knock on Allen to mention Art Still. It's a different era, but Still would shut down the side he was playing on. They ran away from him as much as possible. As I have said before, can you imagine having them both on opposite sides of the line?
That would be sweet.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
It's now official, Josh Allen has been name the best defensive player in the country

KUDOS JOSH!
What an honor and what a deserving young man. He should be in the conversation for the Hiesman Trophy and get one of the seats on stage. He is special and maybe some of those elite high school defensive players will take note. You can be the best at Kentucky.

I would like for Josh to do to the Penn State quarterback what this former player did to this one. I still love that Block K.

enhance

Not sure anyone can objectively say a #1 overall draft pick and Heisman finalist is "not in the running". Come on now.

I didn't see still. But Josh Allen dominated two positions, and did it in pass rush, run support, and pass coverage. His pass coverage is what puts him over the edge imo. It's incredible how he plays in space

Reactions: kritikalcat
I don't think that's necessarily trueabout always going to offensive players first, maybe it is, but he's definitely right up there 1-2 with Art Still. I think Art Still comes into the conversation pretty early as one of the greatest players ever here. He will definitely be in the ring of honor, and I hope they waive the 5 year rule or whatever it is for that. He's a special young man and will represent us well in the years to come.

Bold, or not so bold, prediction: UK will have a player on the watch list again within the next 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT