ADVERTISEMENT

Jones saying he's hearing Gabriel may be gone soon

I am just saying having 2-3 guys who are experienced to go along with one and done talent is a good thing and the only ones that evidently will stick with us are KY guys who love the school.

As long as there are two or three. I'd hate for anyone to be put on a UK roster just because they are Kentucky born/ bread. They'd have to have some cred. (Except Brad)

SIAP but I didn't feel like reading through six pages.

It's been reported a handful of times that Wenyen's family really needs money. To the point where Cal legitimately thinks Wenyen leaving to go pro (most likely not even the NBA) would be best for Wenyen and his family. Wenyen had a great SEC tournament and the 7 for 7 from 3 game was incredible to watch. But it's like the commentators hadn't seen a single game of his before that because all we heard during the tournament was how Wenyen was a deadeye from three. While he wasn't putting up horrific Hami numbers from behind the arc, I wouldn't ever call him a sharpshooter from three. His main skill the past two years was hustle. Outwork the opponent for a rebound, make the extra play. Aside from overall confidence (mainly from being more comfortable) I'm not sure I saw too much growth in Wenyen's game and he probably isn't too far from his own personal ceiling.

I really don't want Wenyen to go as I think a junior with his experience would be incredibly valuable next season. But if he goes, I understand. If his family really needs money and another year of college ball most likely won't make him jump from undrafted to a first round NBA pick, the option to go makes some sense.

No, I understood I think. I was thinking Mr. Basketball types but who was the last one for Kentucky? I could see that type getting a scholarship as long as the pick was legitimate.

Quentin Snider, Beetle Bolden, Ray Spalding, Kelan Martin, Quentin Goodin and Aric Holman are all KY kids who have all been solid contributors at their schools.

Reactions: DanHalen88
Some people won’t accept reality.

How does Cal convince a player to stay when the following occurred:

10,000 miles from home
NBA did not offer much encouragement
His spot was seeeminy going to add Nick and Bamba
His country’s pro team offered him a lucrative contract to come home and play immediately.

But you think Cal’s pitch of stay here for free and play behind NR and Bamba this season and who knows who the next would be convincing?

Forget about what you want Isaac, you need to stay and entertain entitled fans from your backup spot for 2 more seasons....

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there's an Australian draft deadline. Cal could have waited until Bamba declared before giving up on Hump. What was the rush?

Hump didn't come two years to please fans. Did he only come to play in the NBA? How about the failed Skal experiment which caused Hump way more loss of minutes than it should.

IMO Cal gives minutes to guys he's trying to get drafted. Once he decides you're not in that path you're on the bench and who cares if you leave. Again, if Hump's only goal was professional money then so be it, but I don't think you know that.

The times I saw Hump play well he seemed to be enjoying himself. After UNC he could have been legitimately told, UK is counting on you next year.

But I surmise that Cal wasn't looking to play him and Hump knew it. He came 10000 miles for two years why not a third. It's because Cal didn't want him and you can jump up and down and scream but it won't change my opinion. It's as plain as the nose on your face that once Cal thinks your NBA options are limited he's pretty much through with you. Cal's the coach and can do what he pleases but the question posed was what can be done.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe there's an Australian draft deadline. Cal could have waited until Bamba declared before giving up on Hump. What was the rush?

Hump didn't come two years to please fans. Did he only come to play in the NBA? How about the failed Skal experiment which caused Hump way more loss of minutes than it should.

IMO Cal gives minutes to guys he's trying to get drafted. Once he decides you're not in that path you're on the bench and who cares if you leave. Again, if Hump's only goal was professional money then so be it, but I don't think you know that.

The times I saw Hump play well he seemed to be enjoying himself. After UNC he could have been legitimately told, UK is counting on you next year.

But I surmise that Cal wasn't looking to play him and Hump knew it. He came 10000 miles for two years why not a third. It's because Cal didn't want him and you can jump up and down and scream but it won't change my opinion. It's as plain as the nose on your face that once Cal thinks your NBA options are limited he's pretty much through with you. Cal's the coach and can do what he pleases but the question posed was what can be done.

If you think Hump came 10,000 miles just to have fun then you are mistaken.

Players from outside the state come to UK to become pros one way or another. We all know this.

You can say I don't know anything, but I promise I'm a lot closer to the situation than most as my source lived with his GF... but ok. We will go by what you think... :rolleyes:

You can also try to read Cal's mind and Hump's.... you have absolutely zero idea if Cal gave up on Isaac... lol.

When you say nothing can change your opinion you have shut yourself off from obtaining any new data.

When people have ZERO evidence of a topic and only speculation yet refuse to accept any other information it is very odd and there is really no sense in debating the subject.

Last edited:
The Beverly kid that went to NC St could contribute by his Jr year if not sooner. So could the kid at Xavier.

I am not talking about the Wall's, Cousins, KAT type of players who are one and done type talent. I am talking about kids who will give you experienced players by their Jr and Sr seasons. That is what we need.
Okay, you named one. Where are the others?
Beverly may not have wanted to come to UK where he would have to wait 3 years to get a shot. Heck, he may not even get a shot at that point.
Are there any others?
Cal did bring in Hawkins and Willis, so its not like he isn't trying to.
I just haven't heard of any Kentucky kids that were good enough to come to UK and contribute.

We can only afford to lose 1 of Gabriel, PJ, Vanderbilt, and Quade if we are going to be in that elite group next year.

If only Richards and JV return from last years team of guys who actually played I say it will probably be cals last in Lexington. Brad will probably graduate next summer and another season like this one full of excuses from a preseason top 5 will turn a lot of people quick. I think it’s simple. UK fans want championships if cal continues to go this route. What happened 3-4 years ago is ancient history now and fans either want titles or watch our program and players grow over time. I wanted cal to come to uk. I fought like a dog when people said he would never be considered. If what is being predicted comes true every fan will begin to question what the hell we are doing. Imo PJ Gabriel JV Richards green all need to return or you will see an upheaval.

I can see it now. This forum will be full of cal defenders saying March is when it matters blah blah blah. We ll go into the season top 3 but people here will say “what did you expect with such a young team? We ll lose 10 games and end up with an unfavorable seed and an early flame out. All along fans will be saying most of the guys will come back. Season will end and most will leave.

With the current model the way it is I say two years tops and we will be looking for a new coach.
raw

The Beverly kid that went to NC St could contribute by his Jr year if not sooner. So could the kid at Xavier.

Are you aware "the Beverly kid" never played high school basketball in the state of Kentucky, has never really lived in Kentucky since he was a middle school kid, and has never expressed any interest whatsoever in playing for UK or any other Kentucky team? The kid left the state in search of better competition after middle school and never looked back.

The notions that we should've given special focus on recruiting that kid just because he was "technically" from Ky, or that he would've supposedly been extra dedicated to stay because of something that never seemed to concern him before, are just silly.

Last edited:
But not dominant enough to overcome having no experience.

Shusshh, you're not supposed to admit that renting a roster annually won't win a title. Some people will need to see it fail for 10 years before acknowledging its a problem.
We likely won’t win another title in the next ten years regardless of the methods we use. They don’t happen that often.

Count me in as one who thinks this crap is getting ridiculous. Not just for UK but every D-1 teams that losses multiple players to the NBA draft. Not a Duke fan by no means but they lost their entire starting 5 and replacing them with another group of Freshmen who will play one year and then bolt. There is no way in hades regardless of who Cal brings in, there will not be a Booker, Towns, Davis. Heck they wont even be on the level of Patrick Patterson. I don't care who Cal brings in, if there is no experience on the team we are not winning a damn thing next season. These kids have shown time and time again, they don't give a crap about UK, they are only here to get to the NBA. They are not interested in winning, they are only interested in themselves and what is it for them. I am getting so turned off by college BB that I am considering not really giving a damn about it any longer.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
Count me in as one who thinks this crap is getting ridiculous. Not just for UK but every D-1 teams that losses multiple players to the NBA draft. Not a Duke fan by no means but they lost their entire starting 5 and replacing them with another group of Freshmen who will play one year and then bolt. There is no way in hades regardless of who Cal brings in, there will not be a Booker, Towns, Davis. Heck they wont even be on the level of Patrick Patterson. I don't care who Cal brings in, if there is no experience on the team we are not winning a damn thing next season. These kids have shown time and time again, they don't give a crap about UK, they are only here to get to the NBA. They are not interested in winning, they are only interested in themselves and what is it for them. I am getting so turned off by college BB that I am considering not really giving a damn about it any longer.

Awe, go ahead and keep giving a damn...

Think how much worse college basketball will be when the new transfer rule goes into affect. It will truly be free agency for every college team. Every one.

Braxton Beverly contributed a great deal, as a freshman, to NC State finishing in a tie for 3rd place in the ACC.

The caveat being that he's a year older than most freshmen.

SIAP but I didn't feel like reading through six pages.

It's been reported a handful of times that Wenyen's family really needs money. To the point where Cal legitimately thinks Wenyen leaving to go pro (most likely not even the NBA) would be best for Wenyen and his family. Wenyen had a great SEC tournament and the 7 for 7 from 3 game was incredible to watch. But it's like the commentators hadn't seen a single game of his before that because all we heard during the tournament was how Wenyen was a deadeye from three. While he wasn't putting up horrific Hami numbers from behind the arc, I wouldn't ever call him a sharpshooter from three. His main skill the past two years was hustle. Outwork the opponent for a rebound, make the extra play. Aside from overall confidence (mainly from being more comfortable) I'm not sure I saw too much growth in Wenyen's game and he probably isn't too far from his own personal ceiling.

I really don't want Wenyen to go as I think a junior with his experience would be incredibly valuable next season. But if he goes, I understand. If his family really needs money and another year of college ball most likely won't make him jump from undrafted to a first round NBA pick, the option to go makes some sense.
Where was it reported that his family needs money? I follow UK closely and have never seen that reported, just randos on this board saying it with nothing to back it up.

Last edited:
Where was it reported that his family needs money? I follow UK closely and have never seen that reported, just randos kn this board saying it with nothing to back it up.

Raised in the US for years and his brothers and sisters all have degrees..... who knows?

Ask @caneintally he brings it up often maybe he knows?

oh well. i guess you shouldnt bother watching games anymore.
Geez, he was just expressing his opinion. It doesn't have to be black or white. You can be disappointed or upset with Cal or something else, but that doesn't mean you hate the team or Cal. Don't be so obnoxious.

The ones who are leaving that really shouldn't because they're clearly not ready, have people in their ear telling them they should go and it's probably the hangers on who want the $$$$. People who really don't care about the welfare of the player but think they will get some of that $$$. I guarantee that's not Cal. It's long lost family or friends. Or family who really needs the money. I feel really bad for some of these players whose family really needs the money and the kid really wants to take care of his family, so he makes the decision based on that. I would do the same thing if my family were really hurting for money. I just wish theae kids had the luxury of making the decision on basketball alone, and nothing else. I do feel bad for them

I think Cal has got to change this way of thinking by our players. I don't know that he pitched WG on being a OAD, and it may work on some players, but it shouldn't be the case that marginal players are leaving way before they need to be. And yes, I know WG is not a OAD.
His family could use the money.

If for nothing else, I hope a good amount of guys stay for this board's sake. It's getting insufferable around here.

Yeah, it really sucks if all these guys leave, but do most of you honestly believe that Cal wouldn't like to see them back and would like to be able to not have to say "We're young" every year? I'm sure he's not pushing guys who aren't projected to go First Round out the door. I'm sure he's recruited many of these kids with the idea of them being at least 2, maybe three year players, but unfortunately they seem to think otherwise and transfer or leave early. What's he supposed to do other than locking them all up in a basement until Fall?

Hopefully he can find some kind of solution to this experience issue in the near future while still recruiting the best of the best.

I saw Gabriel in the Apple store at the mall earlier today. Quade and I believe one other person was with them. I was in there getting my phone fixed and turned around and there they were. I didn't wanna bother them so I didn't go over where they were. Gabriel was in there a good bit looking at something(Across the store), Quade left after about 5 minutes. Was cool to see them though and my 2 year old tried his best to run over and hug him lol

Gabriel should of been the first to announce....... Everyone would be ok with him needing to help his family by playing overseas....... the problem is that we've seen or heard about all these other players intending to get out of dodge and the mounting frustrations are just piling up to now it feels like Gabriel leaving is just piling on to the mounting frustration.

If only Richards and JV return from last years team of guys who actually played I say it will probably be cals last in Lexington. Brad will probably graduate next summer and another season like this one full of excuses from a preseason top 5 will turn a lot of people quick. I think it’s simple. UK fans want championships if cal continues to go this route. What happened 3-4 years ago is ancient history now and fans either want titles or watch our program and players grow over time. I wanted cal to come to uk. I fought like a dog when people said he would never be considered. If what is being predicted comes true every fan will begin to question what the hell we are doing. Imo PJ Gabriel JV Richards green all need to return or you will see an upheaval.

I can see it now. This forum will be full of cal defenders saying March is when it matters blah blah blah. We ll go into the season top 3 but people here will say “what did you expect with such a young team? We ll lose 10 games and end up with an unfavorable seed and an early flame out. All along fans will be saying most of the guys will come back. Season will end and most will leave.

With the current model the way it is I say two years tops and we will be looking for a new coach.
I’m waiting to here his new marketing ploy. Some of the guys on here eat it up year after year. Feelings are strong. Real strong. Hate to think of the fantasies in their heads.

It must be tough for Gabriel’s family. Been starving and living in the streets for the past two years. Unlike all those families of kids from the sticks that pay their own way to UK. Lol.

I remember being poor and having to go play in the NBA to help my family. Just no other way to put food on the table sometimes.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
This culture that Cal has created is ridiculous. These guys feel like total failures if they don't leave after 2 years. We will never win another title with all freshmen every year unless the talent level is so much greater than everybody else.
Really

Where is he going? The NBA won’t draft him. G league, overseas etc.?

The NBA wasn't gonna draft Briscoe or Humphries either. And I'm pretty sure both guys knew that. But they left anyways.

The rules have changed. "Won't be drafted" no longer ensures won't leave. Some would rather have an overseas or G-League salary than no salary at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatfanMike47
ADVERTISEMENT