ADVERTISEMENT

Jones on KSR just said ..

In
Let this sink in- this is Kentucky. This is one of the best stretches (the past 4-5 years) in the history of this program ffs. It's not nor ever will be Bama, UF, UGA, OSU, OK, Auburn, or Ole Miss. You're fkn delusional if you think it will be.

If it works real hard, as Marrow and Stoops have shown, it can be like UT once was - getting enough good to great out of state recruits to supplement the ones from KY to be competitive, which they HAVE BEEN for the past 5 years off and on with some but UF consistently, with anyone in the SEC. We've been a few plays from the SEC East title. We've finished 2nd in the East.

Mediocre is posting this same sht over and over since Stoops was hired, which is the same sht thay was posted when Brooks was hired.

All of these fkheads that think we have the football budget greater than all of these SEC programs raise your right stump and piss yourself. You've lost any marbles you might have had. We don't have the recruiting base, the revenue, the history, nor the following to move up as fast as an FSU. We just don't.

We're still building, but this isn't a pro team. We don't get to draft, sign players for 7 years, and trade players midseason.

Look at VATech for a reference. Why didn't they reach and stay at the pinnacle of the ACC and win an ACC or national title every 6 years? Because they are not EVEN Virginia ffs. Had a GREAT coach and still didn't get there aAND THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE SEC, but they've got a much BIGGER recruiting base and following in VA than UK does here.

The only way these points hit home for these people is with a framing nailer. The only possible explanation is they REALLY WANT football to FAIL. They'd rather have us be 2-9 so they can rip on somebody than have us go to bowl games and occasionally have a shot at an SEC East title. And they have no clue that building teams take a step back every 3-4 years.

They look at LSU this year and still don't get it. Fk em
LOL.....you're putting Ole Miss at blue blood level and even over UT??? Ole Miss isn't a blue blood and never will be. They have pretty good tradition but they'll never be on a level with the other teams you listed, they don't even have the success level of the dirty vols.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Bobo's offense...not to mention recruiting...would be a perfect complement to what Stoops can do and has done on the defensive side.

It's an absolute no-brainer and a rare opportunity for UK.

Generally speaking, guys like Bobo aren't available for the picking, for uk anyway, but right now Bobo's stock isn't as great as it was towards the end of his time at UGA or will be if he goes and joins Bama as an "analyst", then eventually replaces Sark, and spends a few years under Saban. By then it will be too late and unless UK is offering him HC...he won't be interested...

This is when UK has to get good coaches...when they're in a bit of a valley, career-wise. CSU didn't work out, SC was a lost cause before he got there, and regardless of what he did.

Good or bad, I think Stoops and Smart have the same philosophy of control the clock limit turnovers and play defense. Bobo is Kirbys best friend but he wanted no part of Bobo running his offense. Now Bobo will help some recruiting the state of Georgia, but his evaluations have been questionable over ty he years, Greene came because of Donnan, Bobo and Richt recruited Stafford and Murray, but they also chose and recruited a Ramsey kid who ended up being our backup punter over Deshawn Watson. If things fall apart for him with the new coach at Carolina Kirby will hire him for an analysis job if he needs one. Another plus is Bobo has a son that is a D1 OL prospect.

Kirby is about to explode with Monken being about 50-50 with Daniel's at QB. This is a season of what could have been, unbelievable how much better the offense has been with him.

Nobody else here will like this post, but I'm all in.

* Something nobody else does -- tough to prepare for as it is just based on X's/O's; not being able to simulate it in practice makes it even tougher to defend.
* Fits HC's philosophy
* Don't have to recruit against top dawgs for elite WR/QB talent
* There's a reason Army, Navy, etc. -- with 1* or 2* all over their roster -- can upset or nearly upset teams every year (see Oklahoma last year and Notre Dame many years).
And in the SEC UK will never go beyond mediocre with an option offense.....just not going to happen in this conference, shoot Paul Johnson couldn't rise beyond mediocrity in the ACC.

Stoops would go nuts, Bobo loves throwing the ball, even with a backfield full of future NFL backs and a QB trying to be a TV commentator today he loved throwing the ball. But on the plus side of hiring Bobo, you would have a shot at ffg flipping 2022 5* QB Gunner Stockton, would be a done deal if you could bring Conner Shaw with him.
Here you go getting me excited grumpy.

Here you go getting me excited grumpy.

I have to admit our offense is more exciting to watch with the new QB and what appears to be his ability to run his schemes and call plays. Our WR have actually looked good the last 2 games. Of course we weren't playing anyone very good either week. But it looks promising for the future.

Now I do like Bobo ok, back when he was our OC I think he was a little pass happy with the backs we had coming through, he had Gurley, Chubb and Michel one year and a 5th year sr starting his first year and he still wanted to throw 60% of the time.

But he may be what Stoops needs to if he is going to open up his offense. I am not trying to be negative towards Stoops because I think Kirby needs to do the same thing. Take their mice away and put blindfolds on them on offense, they couldnt see or overrule a playcall.

4 wins gets a team in a bowl game this season? Wow..really looking forward to watching those bowl games..they should be dandy entertainment..
No different than a 8 win team with 4 cupcakes...no Citadels of Eastern Michigans this year...

opt outs will have more of an impact (and our course COVID) than win Counts...

Reactions: jauk11
Not sure when it will be but when Stoops leaves Neal Brown should be the one and only candidate.
Well that's only if Luke Fickell says no first. Need to keep that pipeline to Ohio, could also get us back in good graces with the Northern Kentucky schools.

I'm torn on Gran, I believe he is a good person and a good coach. He has done some remarkable things with Johnson and Bowden at QB. However, there is no denying that this offense is terrible. I know we all talk about those offenses he had Cincinnati and how prolific they were. I don't believe a OC can become this incompetent over the course of 5 years or whatever it has been now. Does Stoops have any say on play calling? I would assume that he does, but who knows. It makes me wonder that we struck fools gold with the 2018 season and now Stoops believes that we can stay ultra conservative on offense forever. I'm also still baffled on how our QB's seem to never develop.
My thoughts exactly. No question Coach Gran is a quality coach and person, I just thing its a combination things.

First just out of necessity, personel and circustances it made him have to adjust to a ground and pound ball control game style the past few years. Second that left us woefully under practiced, drilled and without any polish at all in the passing game, not to mention we are limited playmakers and skill for that at the QB position to have much of a passing game.
But on top of those two things I still believe Eddie has struggled any way as a game manager and play caller and has not helped his cause. His inabilty to feel the game situations, tight almost nervous play calling, and predictability have played a factor. I know Stoops may have something to do with that too but like you said there is no question Gran has had much better offenses in the past, there just seems to have been a number of things come together to put us where we are now.

Reactions: UKat1 and Oak_Hill
So what is it then? Good? Yes, 7 wins is considered mediocre when you’re playing 3 or 4 cupcakes every year and you’re making top 15 money. You won’t convince me that 7 wins is a good season at a school with as much money, resources and fan support as Kentucky. I don’t care how bad we’ve been in the past. It’s just not true.

No school in the SEC outside of Vandy would consider 7 wins anything other than mediocre. Stoops has been either bad or mediocre in 7 of his 8 seasons. Those are just the facts. I don’t want to fire him but let’s please not act like he’s got some kind of “solid” SEC program rolling here because the numbers state otherwise.
Again....who do you hire? Who is the better option?

the dude that dumps the second hottest girl and doesn’t end up getting her ends up getting screwed....ok, doesn’t...but you get my point...LOL

who is the hottest we should dump the second highest winning coach in school history for?

Gran has fallen on the sword too often the past 5 years. He takes credit for poor execution. He takes credit for the offense he's been relegated to. He's caught between the proverbial rock and hard place that is transitioning to throwing the ball downfield more.

Our receivers missed a whole year or so of working on that part of the offense the way Gran would prefer to run it. We retooled to win last year, at a great cost to this year's success, but only because of the shutdowns and quarantines. They NEEDED this spring to get back on track with Wilson, Gatewood, and Allen, not to mention the OL. We've gotten the sht kicked out of us all year before we ever stepped on the field to play a game.

There isn't a single team that hasn't been affected, but there weren't many teams AS affected as we were by not getting practice time. We start our spring session later than about every other SEC team. It cost us. If this dictatorship doesn't let up, it will cost us all of next year as well. Bank on it.

It's not the coordinators. It could be some HC influence on the O. But it's mostly bad timing.
I like Bobo and others, but I also think Gran is good. No one will get sht out of this offense if they don't get reps in practice and games.

PROBLEM IS
...if they go for the win this weekend and get it, but don't look pretty, the FOTM will have a sht fit and stir up all kinds of their usual whinestorms.
...if they try to run a passing attack all out with run as a supplement and lose, the FOTM will have a sht fit and stir up all kinds of their usual whinestorms.
...if they can in ONE WEEK retool their whole offense and pull out a win against a team that already knows who they are, and circled this game no doubt as a win at all costs game, it will be impressive, the FOTM will have a sht fit and stir up all kinds of their usual whinestorms because they can't get rid of Gran or Stoops.

That's the nutshell right there.

The only good news about this game Saturday night is that the officials shouldn't have any mandate from the conf office to call the game either way and there's no incentive for them to call the game with any bias, unless they are betting on the outcome. That may help us, especially on D, where they've completely fkd us every chance they could get in at least 3 of pur games.

I try to stay out of conspiracies and just go with results. We just are not getting it done. Gran, Stoops, whoever, we have been bad on that side of the ball for eight years. Gran had called plays for a total of 3 years before coming to UK and all of those at Cincy. Could it be that the defensive coordinators in the SEC are a step above those in the American conference and they have caught on to his tendencies?

You could have Hal Mumme as OC and Coach Stoops would still be running the wildcat and runs up the middle, that’s who he is and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s just an off year and maybe next year will be better.
"An off year" ....it's 2020. Murphy's Law in full effect. Chinese year of the fubar. Some want an asterix by everything in the record book. I hope no one even makes a record book for this year.

Reactions: Girthang
Let this sink in- this is Kentucky. This is one of the best stretches (the past 4-5 years) in the history of this program ffs. It's not nor ever will be Bama, UF, UGA, OSU, OK, Auburn, or Ole Miss. You're fkn delusional if you think it will be.

If it works real hard, as Marrow and Stoops have shown, it can be like UT once was - getting enough good to great out of state recruits to supplement the ones from KY to be competitive, which they HAVE BEEN for the past 5 years off and on with some but UF consistently, with anyone in the SEC. We've been a few plays from the SEC East title. We've finished 2nd in the East.

Mediocre is posting this same sht over and over since Stoops was hired, which is the same sht thay was posted when Brooks was hired.

All of these fkheads that think we have the football budget greater than all of these SEC programs raise your right stump and piss yourself. You've lost any marbles you might have had. We don't have the recruiting base, the revenue, the history, nor the following to move up as fast as an FSU. We just don't.

We're still building, but this isn't a pro team. We don't get to draft, sign players for 7 years, and trade players midseason.

Look at VATech for a reference. Why didn't they reach and stay at the pinnacle of the ACC and win an ACC or national title every 6 years? Because they are not EVEN Virginia ffs. Had a GREAT coach and still didn't get there aAND THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE SEC, but they've got a much BIGGER recruiting base and following in VA than UK does here.

The only way these points hit home for these people is with a framing nailer. The only possible explanation is they REALLY WANT football to FAIL. They'd rather have us be 2-9 so they can rip on somebody than have us go to bowl games and occasionally have a shot at an SEC East title. And they have no clue that building teams take a step back every 3-4 years.

You mad.

I try to stay out of conspiracies and just go with results. We just are not getting it done. Gran, Stoops, whoever, we have been bad on that side of the ball for eight years. Gran had called plays for a total of 3 years before coming to UK and all of those at Cincy. Could it be that the defensive coordinators in the SEC are a step above those in the American conference and they have caught on to his tendencies?

He had:

one offense for drew Barker
A new offense midstream for SJ
Terry ran much of SJs offense
New offense midstream for sawyer smith
Another new offense midstream for lynn.
Now he has three different packages this yr.

What tendencies he has are used as bait to counter for big plays, until this year. This year we can't hit those shots like we have. Terry hit a few his first season but a noticable drop from SJ. Also this year he hasn't gotten enough snaps to develop a rhythm. Tough to do when your head coach wants you to fun four minute offense all game.

I get why both sides might want to move on. But until stoops stays out of offense, this is what we'll have. Just a much less creative version of it

Reactions: Girthang

Sad, but mostly true, BUT money shouldn't be a problem any more IF we can get through the Virus problem. The OTHER SEC football programs have made more money available than even mitch can spend on his chase of the all sports trophy-----another wild dream. The forty million or so for the baseball stadium is about the max he can find to throw money at, although I understand the bathroom fixtures in the BB palace aren't gold plated -----Yet.

I agree that IF we spent enough money on football (like Thug U with good coaches AND without the thugs) we could take a few stars from Kentucky and bring in enough out of state talent to make waves in recruiting. And if you build it they will come, how did Bama get Saban? The Bear got a LOT of his talent from Western Pennsylvania, and it isn't like the old days, not as much home state loyalty and more about what can you do for me, so spend the money and you probably make money. Bama's program was estimated to be worth a BILLION, while ours was less than $300,000,000 (recent Wall Street analysis), that is a lot of money left on the table..

"An off year" ....it's 2020. Murphy's Law in full effect. Chinese year of the fubar. Some want an asterix by everything in the record book. I hope no one even makes a record book for this year.
But I can still count that win over Tennessee right?

By the way, for the one or two fans wondering where I went out of 35 threads in this forum I tried them all and this is the ONLY one I could post on. Which is just ONE of the several reasons I haven't extended my subscription, (think our writers are great, new ones too) gave them my credit card number several times, really a screwed up operation, say I am still a subscriber (I think) and refuse to let me use my old name or sign in code, and I refuse to change it. Besides, I am very upset about them making almost all the threads off limits, pretty sure that something new and is kind of like blackmail, which just makes me want to stay away, no matter how much it bothers me.

Last edited:
Sad, but mostly true, BUT money shouldn't be a problem any more IF we can get through the Virus problem. The OTHER SEC football programs have made more money available than even mitch can spend on his chase of the all sports trophy-----another wild dream. The forty million or so for the baseball stadium is about the max he can find to throw money at, although I understand the bathroom fixtures in the BB palace aren't gold plated -----Yet.

I agree that IF we spent enough money on football (like Thug U with good coaches AND without the thugs) we could take a few stars from Kentucky and bring in enough out of state talent to make waves in recruiting. And if you build it they will come, how did Bama get Saban? The Bear got a LOT of his talent from Western Pennsylvania, and it isn't like the old days, not as much home state loyalty and more about what can you do for me, so spend the money and you probably make money. Bama's program was estimated to be worth a BILLION, while ours was less than $300,000,000 (recent Wall Street analysis), that is a lot of money left on the table..

Not to mention the 20,000 season ticket holders at Kentucky and parking passes 🍺

UK-UL in MCB..Mark it down
This. I keep saying beat SC and beat Louisville in a bowl and the season goes from a disappointment to fans feeling pretty good. We lost to the 2 sec teams we added and lost our 3-4 out of conference games. 8-4 if we play those games and we are looking at a good bowl. My big disappointment was Missouri. We are a better program than them. Thumping UT helped.

Not to mention the 20,000 season ticket holders at Kentucky and parking passes 🍺

Damn, did I forget to mention that again, and where are all the replies to "Name ONE thing above the bare necessities done for football from 2002 until the strike?" And no, Brooks averaging about a 3% a year raise for his seven years of great work doesn't count as a positive. And I don't even bother mentioning the forced "donations", parking ripoffs, giving away the tickets to big games so the scalpers can rip off our fans. No wonder most of those 20,000 lost season ticket holders will never be back.

I guess I am getting old after all, forgetting to mention the basics. How will all our new fans ever learn, bet we got a lot of them with the 2018 season.

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
This. I keep saying beat SC and beat Louisville in a bowl and the season goes from a disappointment to fans feeling pretty good. We lost to the 2 sec teams we added and lost our 3-4 out of conference games. 8-4 if we play those games and we are looking at a good bowl. My big disappointment was Missouri. We are a better program than them. Thumping UT helped.
I like your style, bro....

I think Stoops is going to make a change at OC but I almost feel as if Gran should get one more year.
This has been a difficult year for a lot of reasons.

I am really interested in some of the possible transfers Jones was talking about.
One transfer could be the defensive player from Georgia Tech whose brother is a new recruit.

But, Jones said guys in position ls of need.

Would love to see Wandale realize the mistake he made and come home.

Jones doubled down on the show yesterday saying look out for some interesting football moves this Sunday after USC game.

I must have missed the football part. When I tuned in Jones was trying to guess Ryan Lemond’s top five favorite fast food restaurants
That was Ryan’s top ten favorite movies.. it is not all sports all the time so show not for everyone.

4 wins gets a team in a bowl game this season? Wow..really looking forward to watching those bowl games..they should be dandy entertainment..
Not saying I like it...but if this isn’t an All SEC schedule the 4 SEC wins + OOC games gets UK to bowl eligibility.

we beat scjr we might make a bowl but don't see ul making one

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Looking in from the outside doesn’t show us much. We know Marrow coaches tight ends and he’s not going anywhere. The WR coach just got here, I’m in agreement with Lamar on this one, you can’t keep changing coaches so you’d think he’s safe. So who does that leave ? Hinshaw? Gran? Do we have a running backs coach? I mean we run the ball well. Well we run it a lot. IMO he has to be Gran and Hinshaw. They came in together I think they leave together. This opens up another issue. We will be on our 4th OC in 8 years. I think Stoops listened to Saban and I think we go into the Spring using a Pro Set offense. I think it will re energize the offensive guys, especially the tight ends and receivers but then we gotta find the right person.

He had:

one offense for drew Barker
A new offense midstream for SJ
Terry ran much of SJs offense
New offense midstream for sawyer smith
Another new offense midstream for lynn.
Now he has three different packages this yr.

What tendencies he has are used as bait to counter for big plays, until this year. This year we can't hit those shots like we have. Terry hit a few his first season but a noticable drop from SJ. Also this year he hasn't gotten enough snaps to develop a rhythm. Tough to do when your head coach wants you to fun four minute offense all game.

I get why both sides might want to move on. But until stoops stays out of offense, this is what we'll have. Just a much less creative version of it

BBS,
Spot on with your post. I will point out (I think it's K-Time who's been saying this a bunch), though, we have had to change midstream due to our QB recruiting being all over the map: one DT, one pro-style, one mainly a runner, one a 'project', etc. Seems like, when recruiting, we haven't settled on what system we want to run. There is no reason that, after 8 years, we don't have 3+ QBs on the roster with approximately the same skillset (obviously, one will be stronger in an area than another). Instead, we have 3 QBs with significant differences in what they're best suited to run and so we have to switch the entire system every time we sub a QB. That's on the staff. It's one reason why so many of our opponents have lightly-used QBs that can come in and run their offense and our backups look like they've never played the position before.

I've said it before: I'd rather have a 3* kid with the ability to run our system than a 4* trying to run a system that he's not suited for (Tim Couch running the veer, anyone?). Staff needs to pick an offense and recruit to that offense: RBs, OL, WRs, TEs and QBs. Quit haphazardly recruiting and start recruiting FOR YOUR SYSTEM. Don't even try to recruit the pro-style QB if you have no intention of playing that style. Don't recruit a DT QB unless you're committed to running an RPO/read option type of scheme. Don't recruit an Air Raid QB unless you're going to throw 65% of the time. That's the only way out of this rut that I see.

Reactions: RDF922 and THE_OAK
Matt said he is hearing the team will more than likely play in Bowl if we win Saturday. Possibly Music city or Gator.
Also, there is a chance we may get some transfers for positions of need... that would be great news!

plus .. there will be some coaching changes sooner than later... interesting ... we will see.

I thought they were playing in a bowl no matter what this year?

ADVERTISEMENT