ADVERTISEMENT

Jones on KSR just said ..

"Get it to Bennie." worked pretty well.

It did. But no need for him to act like he doesn't meddle at all.

ive it to Crod works pretty well too. Difference was sj was great at hitting a shot per game and could move the chains on 3rd down. Terry can't.

To show exactly how embarrassing our passing game is with Terry, Lynn Bowden had almost as many passing yards per game.

I like gran alot. I'd love to keep him and just have stoops stay out of the way. But doesn't look like that's going to be possible

He does have some connections... not sure about with NASA but does with UK. 😳
Well let’s see. Coaching changes. We know there will be a new O-line coach (Rip Coach Schlarman). New players that will help the team. I hope they do this every year. Bowl game. Every year Music City Bowl is mentioned.

Three wins on the season—7 of 8 seasons during his tenure Stoops’ teams have been either very bad or mediocre. Yes, that’s a very solid SEC program. 7 of 8 seasons have been either bad or mediocre, let that sink in for a second.
I would consider being a team that was dead last in the SEC and fielding MAC level talent level to where we are now a big improvement. Three of the last 4 years have be extraordinary for UK standards. During that time we have broken some of the worst consecutive loss records to likes of UT and Florida. You can whine and moan all you want but Stoops has done a great job building us into respectability. Like all good coaches we will see how he adapts during hard times like this year but to put down what he has done here is pure ignorance.

So what is it then? Good? Yes, 7 wins is considered mediocre when you’re playing 3 or 4 cupcakes every year and you’re making top 15 money. You won’t convince me that 7 wins is a good season at a school with as much money, resources and fan support as Kentucky. I don’t care how bad we’ve been in the past. It’s just not true.

No school in the SEC outside of Vandy would consider 7 wins anything other than mediocre. Stoops has been either bad or mediocre in 7 of his 8 seasons. Those are just the facts. I don’t want to fire him but let’s please not act like he’s got some kind of “solid” SEC program rolling here because the numbers state otherwise.

How many 8/9/10 wins season have UK had BEFORE Stoops ? Then check and see how many times we have been to a bowl game 5 years in a row ? If you think we are above what Stoops has done, you are either not a UK fan, or have no knowledge of what the hell you are talking about. Basicly talking out of your ass because you don't have a clue WTF you are talking about. Or both. His first 4 years he had to clean up a GD disaster that the previous coach left him. When he got HIS team, we have not had a losing season, and if you count this year, I truly do not know what to tell you because what ever I say you wouldn't be able to comprehend.

I think it's a mistake because stoops just won't stay out of the offense. He says he doesn't get involved but we know for a fact that's not true.
Do we though? I mean, I know people throw that around as an article of faith. Someone says it, it catches on, 2 years later everyone “knows” it’s true. I don’t know, honestly. I’m curious. I mean, I get the argument that Brown, Dawson and Grab all had prolific offenses until they got here. That’s compelling. OTOH, others have pointed out those prolific offenses didn’t face SEC defenses. The fact that we’ve seen Stoops interact with Gran, even with animation, when deciding a call doesn’t mean much - surely every head coach does that from time to time.

Mike Bobo.....you have to be kidding me.

2 SEC titles
Broyles award
30+pts 57 times
40+ pts 30 times
50 pts 13 times
top 20 in pts scored from 2007-2014
top 25 yards gains, yards per play, rushing yards, and yards per carrying 2007-2014
top 15 in passing efficiency during his tenure
AJ Green
Todd Gurley
Stafford

I've named my guy...you name yours

Do we though? I mean, I know people throw that around as an article of faith. Someone says it, it catches on, 2 years later everyone “knows” it’s true. I don’t know, honestly. I’m curious. I mean, I get the argument that Brown, Dawson and Grab all had prolific offenses until they got here. That’s compelling. OTOH, others have pointed out those prolific offenses didn’t face SEC defenses. The fact that we’ve seen Stoops interact with Gran, even with animation, when deciding a call doesn’t mean much - surely every head coach does that from time to time.

Read my post above. He admits it. We see it. We heard it in interviews. So that's bare minimum

Reactions: Girthang
Watch Neal's offense at WVU, it resembles more of UK's offense than what he ran at Texas Tech. There has to be balance I really don't know what the answer is. I would hate to see Coach Gran let go, it was apparent that he and Coach Schlarman were very close. He was mentioned specifically by Ms. Schlarman in the press release following his death.

Coach Stoops made a couple of comments that sent mixed signals. First saying there were things that he would have to address after the season, then mentioning that someone losing their job during a Covid season is tough. So that kind of made me think that coach gran will have the chance to fix it.

Finally Coach Jag is not the answer, when I see a coach bounce around as much as he has that sends up too many red flags.

So what is it then? Good? Yes, 7 wins is considered mediocre when you’re playing 3 or 4 cupcakes every year and you’re making top 15 money. You won’t convince me that 7 wins is a good season at a school with as much money, resources and fan support as Kentucky. I don’t care how bad we’ve been in the past. It’s just not true.

No school in the SEC outside of Vandy would consider 7 wins anything other than mediocre. Stoops has been either bad or mediocre in 7 of his 8 seasons. Those are just the facts. I don’t want to fire him but let’s please not act like he’s got some kind of “solid” SEC program rolling here because the numbers state otherwise.
So who do we hire to replace him?

"Get it to Bennie." worked pretty well.

It did. For that 7ish win range it got us there. And that’s good for UK but if we’re trying to find ways to take a step we are likely to have to be more balanced. We got the extra wins a couple of years ago with a ridiculous defense that had 6 or whatever guys sign with the nfl. A lot for one UK team.

I would be fine if we could just run it like we can but play action it like we did with johnson. With a lot of turnover in the online next year it will be interesting to see what we do in the off season.

It did. For that 7ish win range it got us there. And that’s good for UK but if we’re trying to find ways to take a step we are likely to have to be more balanced. We got the extra wins a couple of years ago with a ridiculous defense that had 6 or whatever guys sign with the nfl. A lot for one UK team.

I would be fine if we could just run it like we can but play action it like we did with johnson. With a lot of turnover in the online next year it will be interesting to see what we do in the off season.
That's what concerns me, whatever we try will be behind a rebuilding OLine. My guess is we should focus a lot on throwing to the RB and short crossing routes. Doubt whoever is under center will have a lot of time during league play.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
To me it sounded like Gran is gone. I don't like it but I get it. My guess is he just isn't happy at the notion of a reduced role. After all, he is head coach of the offense which is an unusually authoritative title.

I think it's a mistake because stoops just won't stay out of the offense. He says he doesn't get involved but we know for a fact that's not true. Until he stays out of offense, everyone we hire will look the same except they won't be able to coach OL and RB like Gran.

So I don't think it's an understatement to say this upcoming OC hire is the biggest of Stoops' career and will be a success or his tenure will be done
Career hinges on it really

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
So who do we hire to replace him?

Good Lord.

You know that won't be a problem with mitch in charge, why when he took over he and Brooks had a ton-----oh wait, Brooks had to take the job because no one else wanted it-----who said coaches were dumb?

Look at how the search went when after most of the decade of NOTHING EXTRA done for the football facilities (OR budgets) went, why they had to turn down------well, fortunately Joker was still here, and it was a nice payday.

Then when Joker turned out to not be the biggest miracle worker in history we were spared the embarrassment of no one wanting the job again when Stoops volunteered. Of course he was actually pretty smart about it, he KNEW that with football being the MONEY COW and the SEC poised to throw hundreds of millions of FOOTBALL money at ALL the teams AND a pretty passionate fan base things HAD to change.

But MOSTLY because UK couldn't keep throwing away money with the loss of TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders AND their donations, UK couldn't possibly spend all that money on the minor sports. Maybe trying with the $40,000,000 baseball facility, but don't worry, they will clear that much in a year or two. Right. And UK fans were pretty easy to please, Stoops (and I like him) actually didn't do one iota better than Joker his first year even after adding THREE four stars to the one or two we already had, ANOTHER TWO OOC WIN season. Then an IN STATE four star QB (a 5.9 actually) took over recruiting for one year, and Brooks classes that AVERAGED in the fifties for his seven years here (not counting inheriting the NINETY SECOND class the year before him) were actually upgraded into the top 20 nationally (still in the bottom half of the SEC) for ONE year. And our NEW top of the line facilities (yeah right) aren't nearly the showcase they used to be, the other SEC schools are all getting that flood of money too. The difference being they know which sport is responsible for it.

Don't worry, after delaying taking Cal for two years and the BCG disaster no way our AD is about to show his incompetence again this soon, after all UK football in the SEC isn't for the faint of heart..

Last edited:
That's what concerns me, whatever we try will be behind a rebuilding OLine. My guess is we should focus a lot on throwing to the RB and short crossing routes. Doubt whoever is under center will have a lot of time during league play.

Maybe rebuilding but I don't think the OL will be that bad. Schlarmon's influence will last a while, I hope we can get a replacement nearly as good as he was.

Would like to see HC do this...
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban has finally relented, albeit reluctantly. He said college football has officially become an offensive game.

"It used to be that good defense beats good offense. Good defense doesn't beat good offense anymore," Saban told ESPN on Friday. "It's just like last week. Georgia has as good a defense as we do an offense, and we scored 41 points on them [in a 41-24 Alabama win]. That's not the way it used to be. It used to be if you had a good defense, other people weren't going to score. You were always going to be in the game.

"I'm telling you. It ain't that way anymore."

Ffs quit posting this post over and over again. Find an original thought to post...

Three wins on the season—7 of 8 seasons during his tenure Stoops’ teams have been either very bad or mediocre. Yes, that’s a very solid SEC program. 7 of 8 seasons have been either bad or mediocre, let that sink in for a second.

Let this sink in- this is Kentucky. This is one of the best stretches (the past 4-5 years) in the history of this program ffs. It's not nor ever will be Bama, UF, UGA, OSU, OK, Auburn, or Ole Miss. You're fkn delusional if you think it will be.

If it works real hard, as Marrow and Stoops have shown, it can be like UT once was - getting enough good to great out of state recruits to supplement the ones from KY to be competitive, which they HAVE BEEN for the past 5 years off and on with some but UF consistently, with anyone in the SEC. We've been a few plays from the SEC East title. We've finished 2nd in the East.

Mediocre is posting this same sht over and over since Stoops was hired, which is the same sht thay was posted when Brooks was hired.

All of these fkheads that think we have the football budget greater than all of these SEC programs raise your right stump and piss yourself. You've lost any marbles you might have had. We don't have the recruiting base, the revenue, the history, nor the following to move up as fast as an FSU. We just don't.

We're still building, but this isn't a pro team. We don't get to draft, sign players for 7 years, and trade players midseason.

Look at VATech for a reference. Why didn't they reach and stay at the pinnacle of the ACC and win an ACC or national title every 6 years? Because they are not EVEN Virginia ffs. Had a GREAT coach and still didn't get there aAND THEY'RE NOT EVEN IN THE SEC, but they've got a much BIGGER recruiting base and following in VA than UK does here.

The only way these points hit home for these people is with a framing nailer. The only possible explanation is they REALLY WANT football to FAIL. They'd rather have us be 2-9 so they can rip on somebody than have us go to bowl games and occasionally have a shot at an SEC East title. And they have no clue that building teams take a step back every 3-4 years.

They look at LSU this year and still don't get it. Fk em

2 SEC titles
Broyles award
30+pts 57 times
40+ pts 30 times
50 pts 13 times
top 20 in pts scored from 2007-2014
top 25 yards gains, yards per play, rushing yards, and yards per carrying 2007-2014
top 15 in passing efficiency during his tenure
AJ Green
Todd Gurley
Stafford

I've named my guy...you name yours
Dang dude, you did some research.

I think Gran will stay and not let go .
I do think the QB and WR coaches are replaced and the mindset of stronger development of these positions will be a high priority.
I also think Gran will be on the HOT seat next year if not improved 2021.

This is my opinion as of now but that could change of course.

I'm going to throw another thought out there regarding the changes to the offensive staff.
What if Stoops decides to go full ball control offense? I'm talking Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson offense and goes triple option?
People are talking about in other threads a passing game coordinator or pro style offensive coordinator. But, Stoops likes ball control and running the football and winning with defense. What if he goes triple option? We all know it won't win long term in the SEC.
Don't get too excited about changes on offense until you know what they are. I'd love to see a true, balanced pro style offense that is a lot more creative and effective in the passing game than we are now that still runs the football for 150 plus yards per game.
Sorta like Curry's last OC change ??

• Haha
short crossing routes.

Can't be the focus. Teams honed in on those latter part of the season and resulted in easy picks.

think Gran will stay and not let go

I think stoops wants him to, but sounds like it's not happening. He's head coach of the offense, lost a great friend to cancer and his protege is fired. Tough to see him accepting a demotion.

Can't be the focus. Teams honed in on those latter part of the season and resulted in easy picks.

I think stoops wants him to, but sounds like it's not happening. He's head coach of the offense, lost a great friend to cancer and his protege is fired. Tough to see him accepting a demotion.

Oh, for sure. I just feel like we are going to have a need for several quick hitter plays early next year. Quick outs to Dreenan and Smoke as well, Upshaw right behind the linebackers.

4 wins gets a team in a bowl game this season? Wow..really looking forward to watching those bowl games..they should be dandy entertainment..
pretty sure that due to the numbers of teams not playing and the limited schedules, they just said everybody's eligible. I can see them putting us in a game against Louisville, just to keep some of those rivalries that got cancelled in tact if for no other reason. Plus it would draw more TV interest than if they put us against say a Rutgers.

Oh, for sure. I just feel like we are going to have a need for several quick hitter plays early next year. Quick outs to Dreenan and Smoke as well, Upshaw right behind the linebackers.

I agree we need all those. But until teams are concerned with the threat of a deep completion, they start creeping up and condensing those windows making it very tough. That's part of the trouble this year.

We need someone or some way to attack downfield. We can do it off playaction pretty well. But once that's gone, we're done

Watch Neal's offense at WVU, it resembles more of UK's offense than what he ran at Texas Tech. There has to be balance I really don't know what the answer is. I would hate to see Coach Gran let go, it was apparent that he and Coach Schlarman were very close. He was mentioned specifically by Ms. Schlarman in the press release following his death.

Coach Stoops made a couple of comments that sent mixed signals. First saying there were things that he would have to address after the season, then mentioning that someone losing their job during a Covid season is tough. So that kind of made me think that coach gran will have the chance to fix it.

Finally Coach Jag is not the answer, when I see a coach bounce around as much as he has that sends up too many red flags.
Coach Jag's situation is a bit odd. He had Boston College in the Top 10 one year if I'm not mistaken. They fired him for Flirting with the NFL. Does he have a bit of Bobby Petrino like wanderlust in him that nobody but the XFL would take a chance on him? Did his flirting with the Jets really curtail his career that bad?

I'm going to throw another thought out there regarding the changes to the offensive staff.
What if Stoops decides to go full ball control offense? I'm talking Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson offense and goes triple option?
People are talking about in other threads a passing game coordinator or pro style offensive coordinator. But, Stoops likes ball control and running the football and winning with defense. What if he goes triple option? We all know it won't win long term in the SEC.
Don't get too excited about changes on offense until you know what they are. I'd love to see a true, balanced pro style offense that is a lot more creative and effective in the passing game than we are now that still runs the football for 150 plus yards per game.
Nobody else here will like this post, but I'm all in.

* Something nobody else does -- tough to prepare for as it is just based on X's/O's; not being able to simulate it in practice makes it even tougher to defend.
* Fits HC's philosophy
* Don't have to recruit against top dawgs for elite WR/QB talent
* There's a reason Army, Navy, etc. -- with 1* or 2* all over their roster -- can upset or nearly upset teams every year (see Oklahoma last year and Notre Dame many years).

Not sure I get the Neal Brown love as of now. Maybe 3-4 more years he might be viable. There are some great coaches out there.

Matt said he is hearing the team will more than likely play in Bowl if we win Saturday. Possibly Music city or Gator.
Also, there is a chance we may get some transfers for positions of need... that would be great news!

plus .. there will be some coaching changes sooner than later... interesting ... we will see.

A couple of thoughts....

- Going to a bowl would be great and hope it happens for the players.

- Im over getting any kind of excitement for the transfers, there is often a very good reason they leave in the first place and its typically not a positive. Its nothing but a band-aid over a deep cut and crossing your fingers...maybe it'll heal on its own.

- We have staff changes every year so Im nor surprised....it'd be nice to see it stick for a couple of years.

Nobody else here will like this post, but I'm all in.

* Something nobody else does -- tough to prepare for as it is just based on X's/O's; not being able to simulate it in practice makes it even tougher to defend.
* Fits HC's philosophy
* Don't have to recruit against top dawgs for elite WR/QB talent
* There's a reason Army, Navy, etc. -- with 1* or 2* all over their roster -- can upset or nearly upset teams every year (see Oklahoma last year and Notre Dame many years).

The big reason is tough for teams is they never see the triple option and its tough to prepare for. After a year or two, however, its completely worthless and we'll get stomped in our league with how good defensive lines are. If you have a great D-Line and solid LB play, you will blow triple option teams up. Then after it didn't work and we ultimately fired Stoops bc of it, we'd hire a guy who wanted a high powered offense and he'd have to completely rework his roster and it'd take another 3-5 years to get back to where we are now.

it'd set us back nearly a decade

Not sure I get the Neal Brown love as of now. Maybe 3-4 more years he might be viable. There are some great coaches out there.
Here's why Neal Brown now. When do you think you can get Neal Brown to Kentucky? It will not be AFTER he has taken West Virginia to a New Year's Day 6 Bowl- then it will be to late! Neal has already shown he can run and develop a program in reality. He is young - but experienced, he is from Kentucky and UK would probably be a career job for him.

But, Stoops is probably not going anywhere - at least not this year. Hopefully we stay on track to keep building and Stoops makes Kentucky his home until HE decides to retire! I think Coach Stoops will push the right buttons - he has had some consistent issues over his head coaching career- but this year has had to be so difficult on so many fronts for him and everyone involved in the program. Everyone needs to think how not only Covid, but critical illnesses to key players, losing a coach who was a true Kentucky guys as well. Let's get past 2020 and hopefully start off the new year with a Bowl game in Jacksonville with a win and a complete new look for our future!

Go Big Blue!

I think it's pretty well understood that staff shake up is imminent

Give Mike Bobo Gran's salary and let him run the offense.

David Green, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray...UGA offenses and stand out individuals generally speaking during Richt era...Bobo was a big part of that

I'll take it...

Stoops would go nuts, Bobo loves throwing the ball, even with a backfield full of future NFL backs and a QB trying to be a TV commentator today he loved throwing the ball. But on the plus side of hiring Bobo, you would have a shot at ffg flipping 2022 5* QB Gunner Stockton, would be a done deal if you could bring Conner Shaw with him.

The big reason is tough for teams is they never see the triple option and its tough to prepare for. After a year or two, however, its completely worthless and we'll get stomped in our league with how good defensive lines are. If you have a great D-Line and solid LB play, you will blow triple option teams up. Then after it didn't work and we ultimately fired Stoops bc of it, we'd hire a guy who wanted a high powered offense and he'd have to completely rework his roster and it'd take another 3-5 years to get back to where we are now.

it'd set us back nearly a decade

I agree. We can run plenty of option concepts without committing to it completely. Best of both worlds

I'm not even sure why it is assumed that Brown would come here. Brohm turned Louisville down. Things like that happen all the time. With that said, Brown's success at Troy would have been enough for me to be happy with his hire if I was a WVU fan.

Stoops would go nuts, Bobo loves throwing the ball, even with a backfield full of future NFL backs and a QB trying to be a TV commentator today he loved throwing the ball. But on the plus side of hiring Bobo, you would have a shot at ffg flipping 2022 5* QB Gunner Stockton, would be a done deal if you could bring Conner Shaw with him.

Bobo's offense...not to mention recruiting...would be a perfect complement to what Stoops can do and has done on the defensive side.

It's an absolute no-brainer and a rare opportunity for UK.

Generally speaking, guys like Bobo aren't available for the picking, for uk anyway, but right now Bobo's stock isn't as great as it was towards the end of his time at UGA or will be if he goes and joins Bama as an "analyst", then eventually replaces Sark, and spends a few years under Saban. By then it will be too late and unless UK is offering him HC...he won't be interested...

This is when UK has to get good coaches...when they're in a bit of a valley, career-wise. CSU didn't work out, SC was a lost cause before he got there, and regardless of what he did.

ADVERTISEMENT