ADVERTISEMENT

Jones on KSR just said ..

Mar 25, 2004
Matt said he is hearing the team will more than likely play in Bowl if we win Saturday. Possibly Music city or Gator.
Also, there is a chance we may get some transfers for positions of need... that would be great news!

plus .. there will be some coaching changes sooner than later... interesting ... we will see.

To me it sounded like Gran is gone. I don't like it but I get it. My guess is he just isn't happy at the notion of a reduced role. After all, he is head coach of the offense which is an unusually authoritative title.

I think it's a mistake because stoops just won't stay out of the offense. He says he doesn't get involved but we know for a fact that's not true. Until he stays out of offense, everyone we hire will look the same except they won't be able to coach OL and RB like Gran.

So I don't think it's an understatement to say this upcoming OC hire is the biggest of Stoops' career and will be a success or his tenure will be done

Matt said he is hearing the team will more than likely play in Bowl if we win Saturday. Possibly Music city or Gator.
Also, there is a chance we may get some transfers for positions of need... that would be great news!

plus .. there will be some coaching changes sooner than later... interesting ... we will see.
He’s a rocket scientist

I think it's pretty well understood that staff shake up is imminent

Give Mike Bobo Gran's salary and let him run the offense.

David Green, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray...UGA offenses and stand out individuals generally speaking during Richt era...Bobo was a big part of that

I'll take it...

I think it's pretty well understood that staff shake up is imminent

Give Mike Bobo Gran's salary and let him run the offense.

David Green, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Murray...UGA offenses and stand out individuals generally speaking during Richt era...Bobo was a big part of that

I'll take it...

Would be great imo. If we want to be uga, may as well go all the way

hopefully the Coaching change is for a HC who knows basic clock management.

I'm torn on Gran, I believe he is a good person and a good coach. He has done some remarkable things with Johnson and Bowden at QB. However, there is no denying that this offense is terrible. I know we all talk about those offenses he had Cincinnati and how prolific they were. I don't believe a OC can become this incompetent over the course of 5 years or whatever it has been now. Does Stoops have any say on play calling? I would assume that he does, but who knows. It makes me wonder that we struck fools gold with the 2018 season and now Stoops believes that we can stay ultra conservative on offense forever. I'm also still baffled on how our QB's seem to never develop.

I wish these coaches were half as good at coaching as they are at hyping the fans and doing damage control every offseason
That is a crazy post considering this coaching staff has done nothing but take Kentucky up and make them a solid program in the SEC. granted the season didn’t go as planned this year but we all know 2020 is a year to forget.

I'm going to throw another thought out there regarding the changes to the offensive staff.
What if Stoops decides to go full ball control offense? I'm talking Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson offense and goes triple option?
People are talking about in other threads a passing game coordinator or pro style offensive coordinator. But, Stoops likes ball control and running the football and winning with defense. What if he goes triple option? We all know it won't win long term in the SEC.
Don't get too excited about changes on offense until you know what they are. I'd love to see a true, balanced pro style offense that is a lot more creative and effective in the passing game than we are now that still runs the football for 150 plus yards per game.

Sounds like UK has asked Jones to do some damage control.

Vince doing the PR leak. I can't imagine Gran being gone unless he rebuffs someone else working on the offense with him or something like him saying he's gone if Hinshaw is or something. But I do think with our skill position recruiting being what it is they probably know they have to do something to put a new twist on things.

I'm going to throw another thought out there regarding the changes to the offensive staff.
What if Stoops decides to go full ball control offense? I'm talking Ken Niumatalolo or Paul Johnson offense and goes triple option?
People are talking about in other threads a passing game coordinator or pro style offensive coordinator. But, Stoops likes ball control and running the football and winning with defense. What if he goes triple option? We all know it won't win long term in the SEC.
Don't get too excited about changes on offense until you know what they are. I'd love to see a true, balanced pro style offense that is a lot more creative and effective in the passing game than we are now that still runs the football for 150 plus yards per game.
The thought of this is nauseating

You could have Hal Mumme as OC and Coach Stoops would still be running the wildcat and runs up the middle, that’s who he is and there is nothing wrong with that. It’s just an off year and maybe next year will be better.

My main problem is that's basically what Stoops already half-ass does but won't admit. As long as we score points and win I don't care. I want him to pick an offense. Say what he picked. Recruit and practice to that. Fully embrace it and own it.

Vince doing the PR leak. I can't imagine Gran being gone unless he rebuffs someone else working on the offense with him or something like him saying he's gone if Hinshaw is or something. But I do think with our skill position recruiting being what it is they probably know they have to do something to put a new twist on things.

I think that heated debate about the play to run after the TO was telling. Stoops wanted to run something else. Marrow was animated.

On the radio stoops said he eventually told eddie to go with his gut and run what he felt.

Also last Monday night stoops was patting himself on the back about creating the wildcat when Neal was here, because stoops hates defending it. Also mentioned the speed option that bowden ran.

Finally we know by watching the sec shows stoops used to say repeatedly "get it to Bennie".

So he can say what he wants, but he has way more impact on the offense than he admits. I guess all that's fine when it's winning, but given the recent results he absolutely needs to just stay out of it.

That's my major concern about a new hire. I'm afraid they'll look a whole lot like the other guys, for a reason

I'm torn on Gran, I believe he is a good person and a good coach. He has done some remarkable things with Johnson and Bowden at QB. However, there is no denying that this offense is terrible. I know we all talk about those offenses he had Cincinnati and how prolific they were. I don't believe a OC can become this incompetent over the course of 5 years or whatever it has been now. Does Stoops have any say on play calling? I would assume that he does, but who knows. It makes me wonder that we struck fools gold with the 2018 season and now Stoops believes that we can stay ultra conservative on offense forever. I'm also still baffled on how our QB's seem to never develop.

What? You’ve never seen CMS call TO just before the snap then go into the sideline huddle with Gran and the offense. I have on multiple occasions. Doubt it was for a pep talk.

As for changes, maybe they’re thinking about firing the special teams coach.

What? You’ve never seen CMS call TO just before the snap then go into the sideline huddle with Gran and the offense. I have on multiple occasions. Doubt it was for a pep talk.

I have seen this. But I can only speculate that Stoops is calling the play or telling him what to call. I don’t have a headset on nor can I lip read. All can do is speculate. However, you are most likely correct. I don’t want to say one way or the other with having concrete evidence, which I don’t.

Reactions: UKat1
In a country of 330,000,000 and with only 14 SEC football programs, it’s amazing we have to settle for Big Ten Stoops.

I think that heated debate about the play to run after the TO was telling. Stoops wanted to run something else. Marrow was animated.

On the radio stoops said he eventually told eddie to go with his gut and run what he felt.

Also last Monday night stoops was patting himself on the back about creating the wildcat when Neal was here, because stoops hates defending it. Also mentioned the speed option that bowden ran.

Finally we know by watching the sec shows stoops used to say repeatedly "get it to Bennie".

So he can say what he wants, but he has way more impact on the offense than he admits. I guess all that's fine when it's winning, but given the recent results he absolutely needs to just stay out of it.

That's my major concern about a new hire. I'm afraid they'll look a whole lot like the other guys, for a reason
"Get it to Bennie." worked pretty well.

Wandale Robinson?
That would be sweet.... he has not been the focus of Nebraska’s offense much but last week against Iowa he got the ball a lot and made some huge plays so maybe their staff knows something and want to keep him happy.

He looks good .. damn shame we lost him.

Reactions: catben
That is a crazy post considering this coaching staff has done nothing but take Kentucky up and make them a solid program in the SEC. granted the season didn’t go as planned this year but we all know 2020 is a year to forget.

Three wins on the season—7 of 8 seasons during his tenure Stoops’ teams have been either very bad or mediocre. Yes, that’s a very solid SEC program. 7 of 8 seasons have been either bad or mediocre, let that sink in for a second.

Say what, they can't fire all three of the special teams coaches. Or would that be four or five?

Three wins on the season—7 of 8 seasons during his tenure Stoops’ teams have been either very bad or mediocre. Yes, that’s a very solid SEC program. 7 of 8 seasons have been either bad or mediocre, let that sink in for a second.
5 bowls in a row is not mediocre at Kentucky. That kinda thinking will get us back to Joker....

Would like to see HC do this...
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban has finally relented, albeit reluctantly. He said college football has officially become an offensive game.

"It used to be that good defense beats good offense. Good defense doesn't beat good offense anymore," Saban told ESPN on Friday. "It's just like last week. Georgia has as good a defense as we do an offense, and we scored 41 points on them [in a 41-24 Alabama win]. That's not the way it used to be. It used to be if you had a good defense, other people weren't going to score. You were always going to be in the game.

"I'm telling you. It ain't that way anymore."

Last edited:
5 bowls in a row is not mediocre at Kentucky. That kinda thinking will get us back to Joker....

there really isn’t any sense in arguing with people like this anymore. Either they are too young to remember the 2 win years and being happy we just don’t get blown out or just expecting us to be Alabama over night. Most reasonable fans accept that we need a major change to offense but overall the stoops era is the best of our lifetime historically.

there really isn’t any sense in arguing with people like this anymore. Either they are too young to remember the 2 win years and being happy we just don’t get blown out or just expecting us to be Alabama over night. Most reasonable fans accept that we need a major change to offense but overall the stoops era is the best of our lifetime historically.
Soooooo True

Reactions: Jont0805

So what is it then? Good? Yes, 7 wins is considered mediocre when you’re playing 3 or 4 cupcakes every year and you’re making top 15 money. You won’t convince me that 7 wins is a good season at a school with as much money, resources and fan support as Kentucky. I don’t care how bad we’ve been in the past. It’s just not true.

No school in the SEC outside of Vandy would consider 7 wins anything other than mediocre. Stoops has been either bad or mediocre in 7 of his 8 seasons. Those are just the facts. I don’t want to fire him but let’s please not act like he’s got some kind of “solid” SEC program rolling here because the numbers state otherwise.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT