ADVERTISEMENT

Johnny Majors passes away

Condolences to the Vols, I know Majors is a revered coach down there.

Now then, back to our regularly scheduled trashing of the hated orange:
BIKtaLfX4Ci7Ovi6ICHKSdzUZozATvFF7aHzaACJ9siqje8I0w0a-zB38L4jCaAcit162qkzGKECWjTwQ2_VcR3DNw

Ironic that Majors and Dye would both die so near each other's time. Both were among the top cheaters of their era and while they won a combined 7 SEC championships in a 15 year or so period, neither won a NC at their SEC school. Dye was forced out for cheating at Auburn, something most thought was impossible, so we can see how bad it must have been. Majors started downhill when his Pitt/TN "Administrative Assistant" Henry Lee Parker, left to become the bagman at SMU in their time leading up to their death penalty(Parker was so blatant that he put his initials, "H.L.P." in the upper left hand corner of envelopes containing player's payments.) Colorful characters..

From the linked article:

"Majors became Pittsburgh's coach in 1973, inheriting a program that went 1-10. Majors led Pittsburgh to a national championship in 1976 with a 12-0 season, and he received national coach of the year honors.

Tennessee pried him loose with a six-year contract worth $50,000 annually to coach his alma mater. "

$50,000 a year, for a coach coming off a national title. I think Dabo makes $9.3 million a year now? Things have changed a little...

From the linked article:

"Majors became Pittsburgh's coach in 1973, inheriting a program that went 1-10. Majors led Pittsburgh to a national championship in 1976 with a 12-0 season, and he received national coach of the year honors.

Tennessee pried him loose with a six-year contract worth $50,000 annually to coach his alma mater. "

$50,000 a year, for a coach coming off a national title. I think Dabo makes $9.3 million a year now? Things have changed a little...

Adjusting for inflation, probably what a coach should be making instead of the obscene amount they get now. But that is another argument for another day.

Johnny would have won a Heisman, but for that blonde-haired Kentucky kid at Notre Dame, the “Golden Boy” Paul Hornung.

Condolences to those in Orange!

Last edited:
Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Adjusting for inflation, probably what a coach should be making instead of the obscene amount they get now. But that is another argument for another day.
The googler tells me that $50,000 in 1976 is the same as $225,300 today. A decent living!

What did we say that wasn’t true? Phat Phil led a behind the scenes mutiny with certain boosters to oust him so he could take over. Fulmer is a scumbag, ask around, he’s pretty much viewed as a backstabbing rat around the SEC.

From the linked article:

Went back to Pitt years later?

Reactions: The-Hack
Damn. Most disrespectful fanbase in college sports.

I wonder if Phil Fulmer will try to retrieve his knife out of Major's back now?

I have cousins literally by the dozens that wear Orange. I attended Johnny’s last home game in Knoxville, with several of them. Everyone knew what Fulmer had done, and it was widely addressed in the media of the day.

Majors deserved better!

He received a standing ovation from the crowd in Blue, that day, as he exited near us. He had some old-world class.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatGotMyTongue
Coach Majors would use negative recruiting against us by asking recruits who were choosing between UK and UT to look at UTs facilities—then make a visit to Lex to see where the basketball players live.

I hated him for it, but it’s not his fault UK shot itself in the foot.

ADVERTISEMENT