ADVERTISEMENT

Johni Broome?

Cal makes promises when recruiting. Don't listen to his BS that he doesn't. Look at Livingston starting and not playing the 4 and Nick Richards starting every game his freshman year even when he only played 21/2 minutes. It's pretty obvious what happens.

Reactions: K_TIME and Mike-D
Cal makes promises when recruiting. Don't listen to his BS that he doesn't. Look at Livingston starting and not playing the 4 and Nick Richards starting every game his freshman year even when he only played 21/2 minutes. It's pretty obvious what happens.
Pitino did the same thing with Ron Mercer. We never really took off until he made the decision to start Derek Anderson and bring Mercer off the bench.

Why couldn’t we have all three? Onyenso has basically wasted a year of his eligibility IMO. He could’ve redshirted and Oscar and Broome played together. Roster management sucks to say the least.
It would have been fantastic to redshirt Onyenso at the rate he has played this year. I agree 100%. Why we don’t recruit more guys like him and red shirt them I’ll never understand. We never have to worry about eligibility under Cal that’s for sure.

Reactions: ck-2
Why couldn’t we have all three? Onyenso has basically wasted a year of his eligibility IMO. He could’ve redshirted and Oscar and Broome played together. Roster management sucks to say the least.
You could, I’m betting Broome wouldn’t want to sit behind Oscar and Toppin. But I’m just guessing .

It would have been fantastic to redshirt Onyenso at the rate he has played this year. I agree 100%. Why we don’t recruit more guys like him and red shirt them I’ll never understand. We never have to worry about eligibility under Cal that’s for sure.
I heard them say on the radio a week or so ago that the staff had to convince Ugonna at the start of the season that he was worthy of being at KY. Said he didn’t feel like he was good enough. And we’re bragging about the strides he has made.
Just seems like the perfect candidate for a redshirt. And at this point Thiero is in the same boat.

You can’t play broome and Oscar together
Probably not but it would be nice to have a lineup with each one in it. Wouldn’t have to stress about Oscar fouling out every game because he’s so capable in the post. Cal is so stubborn about playing the right lineup at least we would own the glass and probably have more help defending the rim.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Broome was gonna come to UK if Tshiebwe left. Made it known. Why UK was seen as a potential favorite. Cal and Morehead’s coach are tight. Tshiebwe made it known he was returning and that was that.

Probably not but it would be nice to have a lineup with each one in it. Wouldn’t have to stress about Oscar fouling out every game because he’s so capable in the post. Cal is so stubborn about playing the right lineup at least we would own the glass and probably have more help defending the rim.
It would, but we all know cal would have tried to force them together, and it wouldn’t work

Reactions: Fox2monk
Why not? What happened to positionless basketball? I’d just as well see Broome and Oscar on the floor together as Oscar and Livingston most of the time.
You wanna play two dudes who stand in the paint with wheller and have even less spacing than they do now

Reactions: Finna_Go_HAM
You wanna play two dudes who stand in the paint with wheller and have even less spacing than they do now
No I don’t want to play Wheeler. I figure out a way to play both guys as many minutes as I can. After the 2015 roster that was loaded top to bottom I would think getting minutes for Broome wouldn’t have been a problem. Beats the alternative which is what we have now.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
No I don’t want to play Wheeler. I figure out a way to play both guys as many minutes as I can. After the 2015 roster that was loaded top to bottom I would think getting minutes for Broome wouldn’t have been a problem. Beats the alternative which is what we have now.
I agree, but cal would try to force wheeler in there. He would put a lineup of wheeler, wallce, Livingston, oscar and broome and teams would never leave the paint

Would be like playing Oscar and Lance together, which I don’t think many want.

Reactions: fatguy87
Broome wasn’t a one and done transfer. Think he has two more years left. Probably wanted to go somewhere and plant himself as a starter for at least a couple of seasons.

All I’ve heard is how we want to space the floor more. Which I agree with. Don’t want to have 2 centers trying to figure it out.
I get what you’re saying and under better circumstances I would agree but this team is a mess. It’s the first of February and guys look like they just met at tip-off. Spacing is awful, no one on the same page, questionable lineups, can’t defend ball screens. So I’d take any and all help.

Typical Cal recruiting blunder. He doesn’t want to take minutes from anyone already here so he doesn’t do anything. This kid could have played here and maybe Oscar could have been a PF. I don’t know but Cal should have tried for the kid. He was a proven good player.
just like not going after a scoring point guard which some pretty good ones were available in the protal

Reactions: bigbluedon
UK reached out to Broome. He wasn’t interested when Oscar decided to return. Also Ware Collins and Ugo helped make his decision.

He doesn’t want to take minutes from anyone already here so he doesn’t do anything.

ehh..not sure past history would say that's true

I wanted Broome and KJ Williams of LSU but for whatever reason,Cal never even looked at either

So what's it gonna be people? If we had Broome and Oscar then either they play together and clog the lane(god forbid on this board), or split the 40 minutes between them and maybe play five or six minutes on the floor together. So clog the lane, or limit the national player of the year to 25ish minutes per game? OK then, let's say Oscar plays 30-35 minutes per game, which means Broome gets 5-10, maybe 15.

Cal isn't comfortable having multiple talented guys at one position because it makes him have to make hard decisions about playing time and he would rather have a team where it's obvious who the best players are. The less hard decisions he has to make the better it is for him. Cal totally screwed with Hopkins last year there is no way that kid shouldn't have been just thrown out there from the start of the year and let him play through his mistakes. Bryce would dominate Toppin or Brooks.

ADVERTISEMENT