ADVERTISEMENT

Joel Justice comments on post game are more non game focused mess

K_TIME

All-American
Jan 2, 2003
Paraphrasing Joel Justice stood in for Cal for a segment on post game...

"Kids from other teams come in here and not only play the name on front of jersey but also the name on back of jersey. Trying to take some money out of our guys bank accounts and into theirs."

I'm glad we won, I'm glad we played harder today, I'm glad we are seeing Vanderbilt eating into the rotation and the impact a Dennis Rodman-ish player can have on this rotation. I'm glad our size is starting to impose it's will as the season goes on.

But this constant commenting on individual careers, NBA, bank accounts, etc...also from another coach on staff...it's just old and I'd it would stop. It is February 17 and we have 4 games in season and hopefully 10 games in post season. Why this stuff is so fresh on minds is a turn off to me?

Yes that is annoying to hear.. don’t care if they are taking money out of our kids future bank accounts. I care if they are beating our kids right now by playing harder and smarter than our players. A statement that is not going to go over well IMO

Reactions: ala_kat2
I don't enjoy his phrasing but it's just another way to say we take everyone's best shot.

Analytics.

Justice was brought onto the staff before the 2014-15 season as an analytics expert. (Even though he apparently had no background in analytics or mathematics.)

Despite the hire, apparently he nor no one else on the staff seemed to recognize that going away from platoons as the season progressed led to the team playing less effectively. In fact there seemed to be a direct correlation apparent, the more Cal went toward individual substitutions the worse the team played.

Given that, I highly question what value was being provided.

Last edited:
The first person who can tell me Justice’s real value to our staff gets a gold star.
Justus was the lead recruiter for both of these signees.

mXNaxjh.png

2cDvzH4.png

VN2dz6E.png

His name is J U S T U S is it really too much to ask for people to know this? I just don't get how people consistently miss-spell the names of coaches and players for a team they follow like UK fans follow.

I didn't even know we had anyone on staff by that name period, regardkess of spelling. Are we required to know the names of all the managers too. I've got too much of a life to worry about knowing the whole team and staff and the proper way to spell all their names. What a sad statement by you, feel sorry for you dude, I really do.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
His name is J U S T U S is it really too much to ask for people to know this? I just don't get how people consistently miss-spell the names of coaches and players for a team they follow like UK fans follow.

Well to me, it's not such a big deal.:rolleyes:. We need more names like Wall, Jones, Green, Smith, Johnson, Fox, Miller, Young, Lamb, Macy, Given, Lee, Monk, Turner, Mercer, Anderson..just to name a few. If Cal is changing his recruiting strategy, maybe he will only recruit players whose name I can spell:D.
(coaches included) I can spell Rose and
Pin-E Hard-a-way[banana]

Justice was brought onto the staff before the 2014-15 season as an analytics expert. (Even though he apparently had no background in analytics or mathematics.)

Despite the hire, apparently he nor no one else on the staff seemed to recognize that going away from platoons as the season progressed led to the team playing less effectively. In fact there seemed to be a direct correlation apparent, the more Cal went toward individual substitutions the worse the team played.

Given that, I highly question what value was being provided.
I agree about the platoons. UK was possibly the greatest college team ever while they platooned but went to just “very good” after.

I’m done with Justus now also. He can gtfo with Barbee. He got two recruits, big deal. Quickley was probably coming here regardless and wouldn’t surprise me if Johnson was too. He can’t hold Antiqua’s jock though.

If the coaches and players wanna circle jerk to the nba behind closed doors then whatever (as long as they’re winning), but we are sick and tired of hearing about the shit. It’s one thing to bring the nba up when you’re winning but when you’re a loser keep your mouth shut.

"Kids from other teams come in here and not only play the name on front of jersey but also the name on back of jersey. Trying to take some money out of our guys bank accounts and into theirs."

I'm glad we won, I'm glad we played harder today, I'm glad we are seeing Vanderbilt eating into the rotation and the impact a Dennis Rodman-ish player can have on this rotation. I'm glad our size is starting to impose it's will as the season goes on.

But this constant commenting on individual careers, NBA, bank accounts, etc...also from another coach on staff...it's just old and I'd it would stop. It is February 17 and we have 4 games in season and hopefully 10 games in post season. Why this stuff is so fresh on minds is a turn off to me?
Did he really say this crap?

If he did, he should be fired immediately.

Reactions: crpoore
I’m done with Justus now also. He can gtfo with Barbee. He got two recruits, big deal. Quickley was probably coming here regardless and wouldn’t surprise me if Johnson was too. He can’t hold Antiqua’s jock though.

If the coaches and players wanna circle jerk to the nba behind closed doors then whatever (as long as they’re winning), but we are sick and tired of hearing about the shit. It’s one thing to bring the nba up when you’re winning but when you’re a loser keep your mouth shut.

Finally agree with something you said.

Maybe you’ve never been around coaches talking to elite athletes. He’s just used to hear Cal, and the other coaches say those things to the players when a highly ranked player (like Sexton) is coming in...”are you gonna let him show you up? You gonna let him take money out of your Mamma’s pocket and food off your table?” I am sure that Fox got the same kind of pep talk after the first UCLA game and before the last one as it pertained to him facing Ball. These kids are one step out of high school. Things that motivate them...girls, cash, fame, cars, girls, girls, money.

Maybe you’ve never been around coaches talking to elite athletes. He’s just used to hear Cal, and the other coaches say those things to the players when a highly ranked player (like Sexton) is coming in...”are you gonna let him show you up? You gonna let him take money out of your Mamma’s pocket and food off your table?” I am sure that Fox got the same kind of pep talk after the first UCLA game and before the last one as it pertained to him facing Ball. These kids are one step out of high school. Things that motivate them...girls, cash, fame, cars, girls, girls, money.
Since you didn’t seem to get from my first post I’ll say it again. That’s all fine behind closed doors but there’s ZERO reason to come out and say that crap in post game when talking to media and fans.

Since you didn’t seem to get from my first post I’ll say it again. That’s all fine behind closed doors but there’s ZERO reason to come out and say that crap in post game when talking to media and fans.
Yea, I get what you are saying and you are right it was a stupid remark. I was just saying that is where he has heard this stuff. He’s not exactly trained up by a PR expert to do a press conference, so I give him a pass, but if I have to find something negative to say about the game, I guess I could choose this.

OP, is there anything you won't whine about?

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel for some bitch material.
I said multiple times...glad we won and pointed out three positives...but that is about what he said (I don't have the exact quote)...and I'm tired of this constant NBA talk at UK. In the offseason it's more palatable...but during season I don't know why this stuff keeps coming up.

Last edited:

It’s amazing how people can hear the same thing but have two completely different opinions on what they say. I heard nothing with what you said, but that’s why we have opinions, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT