ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Lunardi’s Updated Bracketology

I'm not going to say these guys are wrong, but we sure don't get any perception bump for being Kentucky.

9th RPI, 7th kenpom, 11th Sagarin - that is solidly a 3 seed. But they keep wanting to push us down the bracket.

He has us as a 4, btw.

Reactions: brianpoe
I would love this bracket, personally. Midwest with KU, Iowa, Miami, and UK as the 1,2,3,and 4 seed. Yes, please. I like our chances immensely.

Reactions: Bill - Shy Cat
Huh? This is supposed to be a snapshot in time. Right now, if the season were to end, we have profile of a 3 seed.
Who would have thought UNC and Oklahoma were going to lose those games last night?
I get it, it's a prediction of where Joe thinks we will be but there is no way anyone can predict what's going to happen. It's just too wacky and unpredictable this year.
Plus, previous years have proven that Joe is good at figuring out who gets in but he sucks at seeding teams.

KU, Iowa, Miami is a tough top 3.

Not that worried about KU but Iowa and Miami would be somewhat tough.

Reactions: uky8unc5
Who would have thought UNC and Oklahoma were going to lose those games last night?
I get it, it's a prediction of where Joe thinks we will be but there is no way anyone can predict what's going to happen. It's just too wacky and unpredictable this year.
Plus, previous years have proven that Joe is good at figuring out who gets in but he sucks at seeding teams.

It's not a prediction of where we will be. It's an estimate of where we are now. Big difference.

I know it's only one man's opinion, but the NCAA had us too low in the mock the other day as well.

It's not a prediction of where we will be. It's an estimate of where we are now. Big difference.

I know it's only one man's opinion, but the NCAA had us too low in the mock the other day as well.
Which is why I said "give it time" in my first post. If we are a 4 now we have time to get to a 2.

I would love this bracket, personally. Midwest with KU, Iowa, Miami, and UK as the 1,2,3,and 4 seed. Yes, please. I like our chances immensely.

Not sure I want Notre Dame again.

Reactions: UKDC80
Which is why I said "give it time" in my first post. If we are a 4 now we have time to get to a 2.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Lunardi says we are a 4 now.

I say we are a 3 now.

Neither of us is projecting where we will be.

We are talking about right now.

You can't "give it time" to say where we are now. Now is now. It isn't in the future.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying.

Lunardi says we are a 4 now.

I say we are a 3 now.

Neither of us is projecting where we will be.

We are talking about right now.

You can't "give it time" to say where we are now. Now is now. It isn't in the future.

I think he's holding off on bumping us until we play through the weekend. Other teams have played this week, we haven't. We win both games this week, we're firmly a 3.

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
I think he's holding off on bumping us until we play through the weekend. Other teams have played this week, we haven't. We win both games this week, we're firmly a 3.

Maybe. But what is the point of updating daily if you aren't going to actually provide a snapshot of this moment in time?

I know Lunardi is a hack. I was more bothered by the NCAA having us ranked 19 at the mock last week.

Reactions: stamm29 and UKUGA
Maybe. But what is the point of updating daily if you aren't going to actually provide a snapshot of this moment in time?

I know Lunardi is a hack. I was more bothered by the NCAA having us ranked 19 at the mock last week.

No, you're absolutely right.

I just think his logic is that since UK hasn't played this week, he isn't going to bump them significantly.

I think after this week I think we move up in the bracket. Tonight we should take care of Tennessee and I like our changes with A&M.

I'll say this. Today we are a three. We have the chance to firm that up with 2 wins this week.

A loss at aTm and we are squarely back on the 4 line, most likely.

I'll say this. Today we are a three. We have the chance to firm that up with 2 wins this week.

A loss at aTm and we are squarely back on the 4 line, most likely.

Agree.

We need A LOT of help to get into the 1 seed talk. Oklahoma is doing their best to help us though.

Just keep winning. Things are opening up for us to make some major noise and get a 2, or even a 1 if we win out. We just have to take care of business and not look past anybody. Go Big Blue!!

Last edited:
Honestly he is by far the best of all the big time bracket guys. Jerry Palm is way worse. I do agree we are a 3 right now though. Do love seeing 6 SEC teams in and one more fighting to get in . Really shows how the SEC is getting better.

I may have been a little strong.

Agree.

We need A LOT of help to get into the 1 seed talk. Oklahoma is doing their best to help us though.

We have to dominate the rest of the way to get in the one seed talk.

Villanova is getting close to a free ride, unless they blow it.

The Big 12 is considered so tough that it's hard to see at least one of Kansas/Oklahoma not being a one.

Whoever comes out on top of the ACC and Big 10 will also be in line for ones.

That already gets you to four. Best we can hope for is for the UVA's, UNC's, Duke's, MSU's, Maryland's, and Iowa's of the world to bloody each other up so much that they all end up looking like 2/3/4 seeds.

If that happens, and we dominate, we could be vying for a top seed against the Pac-10 champ.

Lot of ifs. It all starts with us continuing to dominate.

Which do you think is worse? The referee conspiracy? The ESPN conspiracy? Or the NCAA conspiracy?

Your baiting nonsense posts are clearly worse.

I'm not talking conspiracy. You are. I only disagee with Lunardi's opinion.

As I disagreed with the mock draft last week.

As I disagreed with our seeding in 2014 and 2011.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Your baiting nonsense posts are clearly worse.

I'm not talking conspiracy. You are. I only disagee with Lunardi's opinion.

As I disagreed with the mock draft last week.

As I disagreed with our seeding in 2014 and 2011.

I see. You understand that Lunardi's bracket is just pretend? Has nothing to do with the actual bracket. Nothing to get upset over. Lot of basketball to be played. He's just earning a paycheck, essentially by doing nothing.

The Big 12 is considered so tough that it's hard to see at least one of Kansas/Oklahoma not being a one.

That already gets you to four. Best we can hope for is for the UVA's, UNC's, Duke's, MSU's, Maryland's, and Iowa's of the world to bloody each other up so much that they all end up looking like 2/3/4 seeds.

If that happens, and we dominate, we could be vying for a top seed against the Pac-10 champ.

I agree. Villanova, Big12 winner if Kansas/Oklahoma, Big10 winner if Iowa/MSU/MD, and ACC winner if UNC/UVa/Miami look to have the best shot at 1 seeds right now. A lot of those teams have to play each other and have tough remaining schedules, so if we're able to continue cruising along there's an outside shot at a 1. Lose 1 game however, and I think a 2 is even out of the question. That'd be 6 losses to unranked teams, 2 of whom are likely to finish w/losing records, maybe even 3 if UCLA collapses. But it's been such a unpredictable year, anything could happen.

I think Kansas and Nova are about locked in.
If UVA wins out/just loses 1, they're there.

Oklahoma has hurt themselves a bit here lately.

Still have WVU, @Texas, and Baylor to go.

Them losing maybe opens the door for someone to move into that 4th one seed.

But it also helps WVU if it's WVU--who is moreso in competition with us for seeding atm.

At this point--is it better for us to be the 4th #1 or the 1st #2?

What is the most likely scenario that will net us Louisville? The top 2 seed? Would they give it us if we were the top 3 seed?

If Cats win out and the SEC tournament, could see them sliding into that 4th #1 if other teams continue to lose. Crazy to think but it could happen. Cats just need to keep winning and everything will work itself out.

ADVERTISEMENT