ADVERTISEMENT

Joe B. Hall

jrollins24

Sophomore
Jan 24, 2018
He seems very very ill. I know he's old but his mind and body seems like....he's seriously out of it.

Reactions: kev69
He seems very very ill. I know he's old but his mind and body seems like....he's seriously out of it.
He’s 89. I agree that he’s not as mentally there as he was even 2 years ago.

He’ll probably be gone by this time next year.

Nothing wrong with dying at age 90 with the life he’s had. I’m 52, I’m hoping to make it to 70.

Joe B. has been nothing but a class act and a lifelong supporter and Ambassador for this great program.

Anyone that says anything negative about this man is a total loser.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with dying at age 90 with the life he’s had. I’m 52, I’m hoping o make it to 70.

I hear ya. I'm 44 and heart disease is on both sides of my family and i'm about 6 years away from when my dad had quadruple bypass. he may just outlive my ass!

I got to spend several hours with him 9 years ago, rode in a car with him from his apartment to Louisville and back, ate at Rafferty’s.

He was sharp as a tack at that time and full of great stories.

Mentally he was there, physically he has taken a step down or two more than usual. It's the first time I've really felt the gravity of his age before.

I remember working out before class in high school around 2010-2011. Immanuel Baptist on Tates Creek was only $5 a month then for their gym. He was there working out, 5:30 A.M., mostly just soaking it all in talking to people. He was in amazing shape then for his age. Not lifting a ton, but actively working out a little and talking.

He's a completely different man now. I know that was 7-8 years ago, but I can't even compare the two images. In a way, 82 and 89 are not all that different. But I can see the difference. The age difference feels more like 20 years than 7. Time eventually catches up I suppose. I wish him the best and I hope he's loving life.

Mentally he was there, physically he has taken a step down or two more than usual. It's the first time I've really felt the gravity of his age before.

I remember working out before class in high school around 2010-2011. Immanuel Baptist on Tates Creek was only $5 a month then for their gym. He was there working out, 5:30 A.M., mostly just soaking it all in talking to people. He was in amazing shape then for his age. Not lifting a ton, but actively working out a little and talking.

He's a completely different man now. I know that was 7-8 years ago, but I can't even compare the two images. In a way, 82 and 89 are not all that different. But I can see the difference. The age difference feels more like 20 years than 7. Time eventually catches up I suppose. I wish him the best and I hope he's loving life.

I've learned the older you get the distance between 15 -25 becomes far more like 15-20...not how hard you try. funny how every 5 years is a big one. 35 was a HUGE change...WOW.

Reactions: awf and ConRay9
I say you have no worries, don't think so negative. You will definitely make it over 70.
I just turned 81 and I want to live to be at least 85. Think positive.
When the time comes for you or me and we are called, neither one of us can say NO.
As for now, eat drink and be happy.

I party hard , just a little to hard

Reactions: kev69
Wait, wait . . . all of you youngsters ! "Age 50" is the new "age 70", and . . . by logical extension . . . "age 70" is the new "age 90". Therefore, as one who just turned 72 three days ago, I say . . . Coach Hall is not exactly "a pup", at age 89, but . . . let's not write him off just yet.

I am not a particular fan of Joe B., but he was and is the consummate gentleman. He held the program together in the wake of Rupp's retirement, and won one NCAA championship along the way. He was (IMHO) no more than a mediocre basketball coach, but, nevertheless, he is entitled to the eternal gratitude of BBN for his contributions to the program !

Just MHO, of course.

Go 'Cats !

Wait, wait . . . all of you youngsters ! "Age 50" is the new "age 70", and . . . by logical extension . . . "age 70" is the new "age 90". Therefore, as one who just turned 72 three days ago, I say . . . Coach Hall is not exactly "a pup", at age 89, but . . . let's not write him off just yet.

I am not a particular fan of Joe B., but he was and is the consummate gentleman. He held the program together in the wake of Rupp's retirement, and won one NCAA championship along the way. He was (IMHO) no more than a mediocre basketball coach, but, nevertheless, he is entitled to the eternal gratitude of BBN for his contributions to the program !

Just MHO, of course.

Go 'Cats !

It’s not every mediocre coach who can navigate his way to 3 Final Fours and a Title. I guess we were lucky.

Just MHO, of course.

Go 'Cats !

A belated Happy Birthday. May you have many more...

Reactions: Jkwo

Nothing wrong with dying at age 90 with the life he’s had. I’m 52, I’m hoping to make it to 70.

I'm 32 and just glad I'm still here. Gonna go out on 3 packs of USA Gold per day because I'm American and that's how we roll.

I'd trade for a national title and 90 though. He skipped cancer too.

Probably the last nationally known figure and HOFer who will answer his house phone and talk basketball with a complete stranger.

**Not an invitation to call him even though he'd answer.

I got to spend several hours with him 9 years ago, rode in a car with him from his apartment to Louisville and back, ate at Rafferty’s.

He was sharp as a tack at that time and full of great stories.
Have been fishing with him and also spent a few days around him with just a few of us.

I won't expand, but did he ever tell you the way he liked to recruit?

Reactions: UKUGA and Aike

Just MHO, of course.

Go 'Cats !

LMAO are you for real?

He was at UK 13 years. Cal is going on 10.

Joe B - 3 final fours and a national title.

Cal - 4 final fours and a national title

If he's average, Cal is?

So weird of a thing to say to you. I enjoy your posts. :fistbump:

FancyRegalDotterel-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: KYNC89
Joe learned from the best and has passed it on to Cal for the last 10 years. Cal loves having Joe around and so do the ball players. He’s been a great ambassador for UK over the years. He also coached one of the most talented teams we will ever have at UK. I think most of us that are over 60 remember Joe as a great coach.

Joe learned from the best and has passed it on to Cal for the last 10 years. Cal loves having Joe around and so do the ball players. He’s been a great ambassador for UK over the years. He also coached one of the most talented teams we will ever have at UK. I think most of us that are over 60 remember Joe as a great coach.

I just don’t see a coach with 3 final fours and a national title as “mediocre”. If Cal stopped right now he has a great legacy. Maybe not a billy goat, but still one of the best of an era.

1975 was a sham. You can almost give that one to him too.

I just don’t see a coach with 3 final fours and a national title as “mediocre”. If Cal stopped right now he has a great legacy. Maybe not a billy goat, but still one of the best of an era.

1975 was a sham. You can almost give that one to him too.
But but he recruited them so maybe not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT