ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Donnan

I have no idea who that is but if he comes to Lexington, I'll buy him a beer for kissing our ass but Georgia is going to sweep the East easily.
Using LSU as an example Bama was suppose to sweep easily in 2019 but the Tigers pulled off the upset win to advance. So as anyone that bets on horses knows, the favorite doesn't always win. A LOT of things can happen during the course of a season both good and bad.

Using LSU as an example Bama was suppose to sweep easily in 2019 but the Tigers pulled off the upset win to advance. So as anyone that bets on horses knows, the favorite doesn't always win. A LOT of things can happen during the course of a season both good and bad.
The 2019 LSU team IS one of the best teams in College Football history. The media just hyped up Alabama as they usually do.

I have no idea who that is but if he comes to Lexington, I'll buy him a beer for kissing our ass but Georgia is going to sweep the East easily.
just going on what some in the Huntington WV area have said, you wouldnt want that beer with Donnan

He was popular at UGA but could not win the big one .. he turned down the UK job in past.

No, he was't popular at UGA. He is much more popular now as the EX coach. He was arrogant and rude to the media much like Saban but without the wins. Going 1-3 against Tech gets you fired at UGA. But 20+ years later and without the pressure of being an SEC coach he seems to be in a better place.

No, he was't popular at UGA. He is much more popular now as the EX coach. He was arrogant and rude to the media much like Saban but without the wins. Going 1-3 against Tech gets you fired at UGA. But 20+ years later and without the pressure of being an SEC coach he seems to be in a better place.
folks in Huntington WV said he was a real turd when he competed in racket ball. That was a long time ago so the guy has had many years to change and probably has but there were people who said if you beat him you had to fight him! Just not a way for the head coach at your local school to act!

folks in Huntington WV said he was a real turd when he competed in racket ball. That was a long time ago so the guy has had many years to change and probably has but there were people who said if you beat him you had to fight him! Just not a way for the head coach at your local school to act!

I cant really say much about his pre UGA time, but I cant say that him being a competitor surprises me, l knot lots of coaches, high school, that are that way. He hired Rodney Garner away from UT and a DB coach named Eric Ramsey to be the DC at UGA. Donnan and Ramsey got in a physical fight in an office at the UGA athletics facility and of course was fired. He wanted to coach all positions and wouldnt let his assistants coach.

Didn't he win a 1-AA National Championship at Marshall....around 1992? I also think he is in the CFB Hall of Fame (as a coach).

He did win one at Marshall, I think Randy Moss was on that team but not sure. I believe you are right about the HoF too.

Former HC at Marshall and Georgia.
Jim Donnan was actually discussed in-depth for UK HC here on this forum back in 2003 after Guy Morriss departed for Baylor and before Rich Brooks was hired. Happy he's still around.

Also ran a multi-million dollar Ponzi scam and lots of coaches and players who invested got burned. Found not guilty when it went to the courts. That said I'm happy when anybody in the football world gives UK football props.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Jim Donnan was actually discussed in-depth for UK HC here on this forum back in 2003 after Guy Morriss departed for Baylor and before Rich Brooks was hired. Happy he's still around.
He was. He wanted the job, I think. Lobbied Barnhart for it, if I remember correctly.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Also ran a multi-million dollar Ponzi scam and lots of coaches and players who invested got burned. Found not guilty when it went to the courts. That said I'm happy when anybody in the football world gives UK football props.

Yes he did, I really cant believe he skated on that, but I thg hink his defense was he wadmt aware. But he lost people who trusted him alot of money.

Ok, I wasnt too sure of the time frame
Lots of us here would look like good coaches with Randy Moss in DII ball.
MU was never D2 to my knowledge. D-1(AA)…now called FCS in the SOCON before they went D1(A) (FBS) and won their conference in year one. Probably the best transition to D1 FBS in memory. From 1-AA national champs in 96 to D1-A conference champs in 97 (the first of 4-straight MAC championships). Lost to ole Miss by 3 points (34-31) in the motor city bowl that first year but beat the fool out of UL in the same bowl the following year 48-29. Pretty strong program back then….especially under Coach Pruitt.
GBB!

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Yes he did, I really cant believe he skated on that, but I thg hink his defense was he wadmt aware. But he lost people who trusted him alot of money.
Believe it or not one of Bobby Bowden's sons was involved in a Ponzi scheme I was on the Federal Grand Jury that was reviewing the evidence. I finished my term before we voted to indict or not so I do not know if he ever got indicted Took a bunch of Coaches for millions.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Yes he was and a lot of UK fans were very disappointed we did not get him.
I was, admittedly. Norm Chow was another popular pick in these forums back then. Mitch chose Rich Brooks because he'd worked with him up in Oregon. Many questioned the hire. I visited Lex around that time. As I understand the situation, his mission was "fix football first and then worry about Tubby". I remember when his daughter worked camera for CBS Sports and Gerald Fitch crashed into her on the sidelines during a BB game at Rupp. Talking heads considered him a solid football coach. Once he recruited some talent, he was.

After a couple miserable seasons by UK standards, which were painful, Rich Brooks hung in there. Many fans called for a change. He remained loyal to the BBN. He still is. Coach Brooks led us to 4 straight bowl games, finally losing to Dabo Swinney (Clemson) in 2009 after a nice run of 3 straight bowl wins. BBN was back.

Thanks, Coach Brooks.

I was, admittedly. Norm Chow was another popular pick in these forums back then. Mitch chose Rich Brooks because he'd worked with him up in Oregon. Many questioned the hire. I visited Lex around that time. As I understand the situation, his mission was "fix football first and then worry about Tubby". I remember when his daughter worked camera for CBS Sports and Gerald Fitch crashed into her on the sidelines during a BB game at Rupp. Talking heads considered him a solid football coach. Once he recruited some talent, he was.

After a couple miserable seasons by UK standards, which were painful, Rich Brooks hung in there. Many fans called for a change. He remained loyal to the BBN. He still is. Coach Brooks led us to 4 straight bowl games, finally losing to Dabo Swinney (Clemson) in 2009 after a nice run of 3 straight bowl wins. BBN was back.

Thanks, Coach Brooks.
I was all in on Norm Chow ! lol

Believe it or not one of Bobby Bowden's sons was involved in a Ponzi scheme I was on the Federal Grand Jury that was reviewing the evidence. I finished my term before we voted to indict or not so I do not know if he ever got indicted Took a bunch of Coaches for millions.

You know far more than me about it, but he also got some of his former players too.

Thanks, Coach Brooks.
I was all in on the Doug Williams train. Donnan and Williams were the two hot names.

Obviously Georgia should be the favorite but there was nothing easy about that game with them last year. If we had any creativity at all we win that game.

Obviously Georgia should be the favorite but there was nothing easy about that game with them last year. If we had any creativity at all we win that game.
Anything can happen in sports but UK couldn't beat Georgia with our best team in 50 years in 2018 and UGA wasn't as stacked as they are now then.

Georgia literally got 3 AA this off-season added to their already stacked roster and even without these 3 they would sweep the SECE

Arik Gilbert
Tyreek Smith
Derion Kendrick

Its Jim Donnan, he was head coach at UGA for 4 years and preceded Mark Richt.
You can probably vouch for what I'm about to say, but I heard Jim Donnan came off as rather politically incorrect while at UGA. He often referred to Dawg fans as "you Georgia fans". I also recall discipline issues. Here was a coach who went 40-19 at UGA. Another major issue: losing three straight to the Gators.

Anything can happen in sports but UK couldn't beat Georgia with our best team in 50 years in 2018 and UGA wasn't as stacked as they are now then.

On paper we look good, got to determine who LT will be. 5 RB that all have a little different skill set. 8 WR that go from huge to 10.1 100m guy
You can probably vouch for what I'm about to say, but I heard Jim Donnan came off as rather politically incorrect while at UGA. He often referred to Dawg fans as "you Georgia fans". I also recall discipline issues. Here was a coach who went 40-19 at UGA. Another major issue: losing three straight to the Gators.

To be honest I cant remember him saying "you Georgia fans". But he was arrogant much like Saban to the media. He was a panic hire after Glen Mason was hired, announced, introduced and then changed his mind and decided to stay at Minnesota i think it was. Discipline was a big issue, he went through assistants like toilet paper because no one could stand him.

UF was certainly dominating us, but it was going 1-3 against Tech and being ar RG ogant to reporters and fans that got him fired.

He seems like a different guy now, he evens works with UGA's Rivals site now and seems to be 180 from the guy he was 20 years or so ago.

Last edited:
To be a little more specific, Paul asked Donnan who his SEC surprise teams are. In other words besides Bama, UGA, Texas AM and UF, who could be a challenger. In the west Donnan said he expects LSU to bounce back from their 2020 season. In the east he said he thinks UK can be really good, especially if UK can get good QB play.

ADVERTISEMENT