ADVERTISEMENT

Jersey retirement at UK rules

232325_original.jpg

This will lead to some yoo-hoos coming out of the woodwork. Before you know it Jodie Meeks and Terrence Jones should have their jerseys retired.

Since UK said some of those jerseys are from the 1954 undefeated national champions team, why don’t we recognize that like KU?

Newest article I could find. Regardless of date had no idea that graduation rules had changed.
Yep. It says something like "academic and athletic accomplishments". Here are the players that are currently eligible to have their jersey put in the rafters:

Jim Andrews
Nazr Mohammed
Ron Mercer
Wayne Turner
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
John Wall
Chuck Hayes
Antoine Walker
Keith Bogans
Rex Chapman
Leroy Edwards
Mike Casey
Tayshaun Prince
Larry Conley
Adrian Smith

I would hang the following in the rafters:

Tayshaun Prince
Keith Bogans
John Wall
Anthony Davis

Reactions: bbncal02
Yep. It says something like "academic and athletic accomplishments". Here are the players that are currently eligible to have their jersey put in the rafters:

Jim Andrews
Nazr Mohammed
Ron Mercer
Wayne Turner
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
John Wall
Chuck Hayes
Antoine Walker
Keith Bogans
Rex Chapman
Leroy Edwards
Mike Casey
Tayshaun Prince
Larry Conley
Adrian Smith

Tayshaun Prince
Keith Bogans
John Wall
Anthony Davis
Why Wall? A one year guy with no championship. I don’t think he rates.

Reactions: chroix and dl51344
The Naismith and Wooden award winner was Evan Turner of the Buckeyes. Sorry, Wall doesn’t make the cut in my book.
We will disagree on that one. Only the 2nd player in a 59 years period to win one of the recognized NPOY awards.

Who would you put up there from the list of guys that are eligible?

Last edited:
Which “recognized NPOY award” did he win?

Prince, Jim Andrews, Anthony Davis
He won the Rupp trophy. I'm assuming you know that and are saying it wasn't a nationally recognized award, but it was.

As for your list. Andrews was First Team All SEC twice. Nothing else. I have a hard time with that one. I think a guy like Mel Turpin deserves it before Andrews.

He won the Rupp trophy. I'm assuming you know that and are saying it wasn't a nationally recognized award, but it was.

As for your list. Andrews was First Team All SEC twice. Nothing else. I have a hard time with that one. I think a guy like Mel Turpin deserves it before Andrews.
Ok. Everyone has opinions.

Reactions: bthaunert
Davis goes up without question. 1# pick, NBA and NCAA Champion, NPOY, etc. that’s a no brainer.

Hard not to argue for guys like prince and wall either.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Wall and Davis....probably Rex but the place would boo and i dont blame them.

Bogans and Prince weren't impressive enough to hang in the rafters forever. If Bogans goes up, than why not Estill, Cliff Hawkins, Meeks, Travis Ford, Gilchrist, Cousins?

• Sad
Reactions: UK19

Bogans and Prince weren't impressive enough to hang in the rafters forever. If Bogans goes up, than why not Estill, Cliff Hawkins, Meeks, Travis Ford, Gilchrist, Cousins?
You don't think Prince was as impressive as Rex? That one is not even a debate. Rex's best year is not as good as Prince's best year and Prince did so much more. That's an interesting take.

Uh, Bogans #4 all time leading scorer. That IS impressive enough.

Reactions: Kuhldaddy and UK19
Double jersey celebration

Lamb and that selfish mother father T-Jones. Without them in 2012, UK still has 7 titles even with the great AD leading the way.

Uh, Bogans #4 all time leading scorer. That IS impressive enough.
Uh, if Bogans were good he wouldve left after one year.

Leading all time scorer in todays age means garbage. Just means they weren't good enough to leave, so they filled stats. So many better players than Bogans, they just left early cause they were better....so they didnt get the ability to score for years and years. I feel like this is like advertising NIT titles, it the best of the worst.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: UK19
You don't think Prince was as impressive as Rex? That one is not even a debate. Rex's best year is not as good as Prince's best year and Prince did so much more. That's an interesting take.
Prince was a liability his first year during many games. Some didnt even think he should start when he was a freshman. I remember going to a game in Rupp where Prince had 3 straight turnovers (might have been against Maryland) and the fans started yelling for him to come out. He looked lost in the beginning of that season.

I dont like Rex, but he was a game changer. He could take over a game and was a hustler. Prince was a lazy defender. He had some blocks, but one things for sure....you'd never see Prince run full speed for a loose ball or play mad defense on anyone. Im not exaggerating, but ive never seen a player walk up the floor as much as Prince did. Even on offensive sets he would walk around the perimeter or do that slight jog through the middle. If you could put Cliff Hawkins heart into Princes body, you'd have one helluva player.

Just curious, can you name a lazier UK starter than Prince?

Jim Andrews
Nazr Mohammed
Ron Mercer
Wayne Turner
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
John Wall
Chuck Hayes
Antoine Walker
Keith Bogans
Rex Chapman
Leroy Edwards
Mike Casey
Tayshaun Prince
Larry Conley
Adrian Smith

Tayshaun Prince
Keith Bogans
John Wall
Anthony Davis
Conley deserves to be in.

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
It seems some do not think a full UK career should be considered. Who cares if someone wasn’t as good as a freshman or if someone didn’t leave early for the NBA. It is about the full body of accomplishments over time.

Prince was a liability his first year during many games. Some didnt even think he should start when he was a freshman. I remember going to a game in Rupp where Prince had 3 straight turnovers (might have been against Maryland) and the fans started yelling for him to come out. He looked lost in the beginning of that season.

I dont like Rex, but he was a game changer. He could take over a game and was a hustler. Prince was a lazy defender. He had some blocks, but one things for sure....you'd never see Prince run full speed for a loose ball or play mad defense on anyone. Im not exaggerating, but ive never seen a player walk up the floor as much as Prince did. Even on offensive sets he would walk around the perimeter or do that slight jog through the middle. If you could put Cliff Hawkins heart into Princes body, you'd have one helluva player.

Just curious, can you name a lazier UK starter than Prince?
Prince was on the all-NBA defensive 2nd team 4 times….and his style then was no different than his style at UK. I can see where it might appear “aloof”, but it’s the style he played his entire career and it earned him 2nd team AA both his junior and senior year, SEC POY, SEC Tournament MVP, Olympic gold medal and 4 time NBA all defensive team. If that’s what lazy gets you, sign me up!

As for his freshman year, he only started 11 games. He improved drastically from his first two years to his last two years.

He belongs in the rafters and he will be there…it’s only a matter of time.

Jeff Sheppard was the 1998 most outstanding player in the NCAA tournament. Should be there.

Prolly Wayne Turner too—won more games than any UK player ever and contributed heavily to a title and 3 final fours.

After that, there are good arguments for guys like Prince, Bogans, Hayes, and Wall. Definitely gonna have Anthony Davis up there. And low key, Darius Miller being a 4 year kid here from Kentucky and sticking around for the transformation to a title probably slots him in.

This topic is funny, I was at the Kansas game with my family and we talked about how many “old school” guys are in the rafters and if you look at the actual accomplishments of a lot of those guys, they are nowhere near a ton of mid-90s on players who are just not there

This topic is funny, I was at the Kansas game with my family and we talked about how many “old school” guys are in the rafters and if you look at the actual accomplishments of a lot of those guys, they are nowhere near a ton of mid-90s on players who are just not there
I would argue that outside of teams that were put up there (Unforgettables, 1954 squad, 1949 squad), almost all of the individuals were pretty deserving.

I would argue that outside of teams that were put up there (Unforgettables, 1954 squad, 1949 squad), almost all of the individuals were pretty deserving.
You’re probably right but I’ll still say if any “whole teams” are up there then we should have the cores of all the title teams too

He won't get it but I would love Chuck Hayes to be retired.
I think he has a shot at some point. There are only 7 guys in UK history with 1200+ points and 900+ rebounds and Chuck is one of them....the other 6 are all in the rafters. In fact, every player with over 800 rebounds in their career (not counting Oscar) is in the rafters.

Jim Andrews
Nazr Mohammed
Ron Mercer
Wayne Turner
Demarcus Cousins
Anthony Davis
John Wall
Chuck Hayes
Antoine Walker
Keith Bogans
Rex Chapman
Leroy Edwards