ADVERTISEMENT

Jerry Eaves today regarding Dan Issel

Ok, I went to Jerry Eaves' apple podcast site to find the show and hear the context of this quote. Here is a link to that site. It is the podcast entitled "Microwavable" and the comment was made at the 36:24 mark of that podcast. I will try to give an exact transcript of what was said here. The quote came in the context of discussing how well-defined the roles were back in their playing days and he mentioned Issel, Calipari, and Rupp...

Eaves: "Dan Issel says he would have a hard time playing for John Calipari, not that he's not a great coach, but it would be hard for him, he said that himself, I'm not making this up. With Adolph Rupp, everybody knew their role. That is important. At Louisville, Jerry Eaves knew that 'I had to do certain things because Darrell Griffith's gonna shoot that ball, and we had to get him in position and put him in position.' We knew our role. Griff was the man! Just like Dan. It didn't make me a lesser player, but you can believe me, I knew my role on that team, period."

So, we're quoting Eaves who is loosely (not necessarily word for word) quoting Issel while making a point about defining roles on a basketball team. Eaves does make a point to say "Issel isn't saying Cal isn't a great coach but" according to Eaves, Issel is saying that Calipari doesn't define roles as well as Issel would prefer, like Adolph Rupp did. Issel didn't say he wouldn't play for Calipari, he just thinks it would be harder for him personally than playing for Adolph Rupp was.

Here is the link to the web-site: https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/jerry-eaves-sports-radio/id1253595489
The podcast is the first one on the list, from yesterday, 12/14, entitled "Microwavable" Quote starts at the 36:24 mark.
Thanks for putting this in context. The Issel I remember was not one to trash the program he loves in public.

Last edited:
Ok, I went to Jerry Eaves' apple podcast site to find the show and hear the context of this quote. Here is a link to that site. It is the podcast entitled "Microwavable" and the comment was made at the 36:24 mark of that podcast. I will try to give an exact transcript of what was said here. The quote came in the context of discussing how well-defined the roles were back in their playing days and he mentioned Issel, Calipari, and Rupp...

Eaves: "Dan Issel says he would have a hard time playing for John Calipari, not that he's not a great coach, but it would be hard for him, he said that himself, I'm not making this up. With Adolph Rupp, everybody knew their role. That is important. At Louisville, Jerry Eaves knew that 'I had to do certain things because Darrell Griffith's gonna shoot that ball, and we had to get him in position and put him in position.' We knew our role. Griff was the man! Just like Dan. It didn't make me a lesser player, but you can believe me, I knew my role on that team, period."

So, we're quoting Eaves who is loosely (not necessarily word for word) quoting Issel while making a point about defining roles on a basketball team. Eaves does make a point to say "Issel isn't saying Cal isn't a great coach but" according to Eaves, Issel is saying that Calipari doesn't define roles as well as Issel would prefer, like Adolph Rupp did. Issel didn't say he wouldn't play for Calipari, he just thinks it would be harder for him personally than playing for Adolph Rupp was.

Here is the link to the web-site: https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/jerry-eaves-sports-radio/id1253595489
The podcast is the first one on the list, from yesterday, 12/14, entitled "Microwavable" Quote starts at the 36:24 mark.
ADOLPH not Adolf

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s just nonsense. Does he even watch the games? If anything, Cal rigidly defines the role of his post players. He has had 5 NBA lottery picks out of that position and a National Player of the Year.
Sure hope Oscar doesn't see that and decide to sit out the rest of the year.

And ALL of those kids have complained about Cal NOT allowing them to show their TOTAL skill set!!!

Big Dan was WAAAYYY more than a back to the basket post up Center. Much Like Anthony Davis, Boogie and Karl Towns, Dan was a MULTI-FACETED player.

If he says that he couldn't play for Cal because his roll wouldn't be defined, I take that to mean that same thing all of our great Centers have said after they got to the NBA. Heck, Boogie said Cal out-and-out LIED to him when he was recruiting him about allowing him to bring the ball up the floor and shoot 3's. He said that he even thought about transferring after the first practice when Cal stopped him and yelled at him for getting a rebound and bringing the ball up on his own. Cal blew the whistle and told him that he had the #1 pick in the draft(John Wall) to bring the ball up and why would he allow Boogie to do that.

There was a thread on here yesterday that had the entire interview from Boogie if you want to watch it.

So, why is it "nonsense" that Big Dan would feel the way he does???
So you think Boogie would be better than Wall at bringing the ball up the floor? Does he bring the ball up the floor in the NBA?

It's been over 10 years but I got to talk to Issel in NO in 2012. He was quite effusive in his praise for Cal then.

As far Big Dan playing now, he would kill it. He was a stretch 4 before anyone knew what a stretch 4 was.
10 years ago Cal knew what he was doing, he hasn’t adapted and he’s definitely changed his ways. We never really struggled to get transition on any team. We used to score a bunch quite often. The last 5-6 years nobody knows what he’s doing and Dan obviously sees that. He probably thought back then he could have played for him, but that today he’s lost it which most believe.

So you think Boogie would be better than Wall at bringing the ball up the floor? Does he bring the ball up the floor in the NBA?
No, the point being Cal LIED to Boogie during his recruitment by telling him he COULD bring the ball up when he got a rebound AND could shoot the ball from ANYWHERE on the floor.

Cal has pre-conceived notions about how he runs the team and if it works, great, but if it doesn't he is too stubborn to alter it.

Was Boogie much more than a Post Up Center in the NBA? How about Anthony Davis? Or Karl? Or Randle? Or Bam? All of these kids were MULTI-DIMENSIONAL players that Cal Only used as Post Up Centers.

What is wrong with some of these people protecting Cal to dump on our all time leading scorer. I just don’t know what to say for some of our fans any more!
We’re all just Cal haters. It must be a political thing. Couldn’t possibly be the fact that Cal couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag. At least not the last few years. Now the Cal brigade is calling out Dan Issel. 🤣

We’re all just Cal haters. It must be a political thing. Couldn’t possibly be the fact that Cal couldn’t coach himself out of a wet paper bag. At least not the last few years. Now the Cal brigade is calling out Dan Issel. 🤣
I just hope when he goes they go with him! I just can’t believe that Dan Issel out of anyone they want to question! I wasn’t around when he played but I understand our TRADITION and I know what Dan the man means to this program! I honestly can’t wait until Cal goes he can’t go fast enough for me!

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I just hope when he goes they go with him! I just can’t believe that Dan Issel out of anyone they want to question! I wasn’t around when he played but I understand our TRADITION and I know what Dan the man means to this program! I honestly can’t wait until Cal goes he can’t go fast enough for me!
Yeah, I defended Cal for years. Said that his watered down offense and lack of any intuitive philosophy was mainly due to having such young teams. We’ve had a veteran team the last two years and he hasn’t done anything different. Like I said preseason, Cal has ZERO excuses this year.

Yeah, I defended Cal for years. Said that his watered down offense and lack of any intuitive philosophy was mainly due to having such young teams. We’ve had a veteran team the last two years and he hasn’t done anything different. Like I said preseason, Cal has ZERO excuses this year.
I totally agree with you his last two teams had been his teams with the most experience. He poo pooed last year and he’s about to poo poo this year. Cal won his one title then got the lifetime contract and his coaching legacy went south. He can now use UK for the one thing that benefits him the best and that’s a stepping stone for the NBA but he’s done that since day one! He honestly doesn’t give a crap if he ever wins another championship and I truly believe that!

I was Manager on Dan’s last team he was the
Hardest working player in practice and in games
When he got to UK he was not a good baseline shooter but he stayed after practice a took 100 baseline jumpers
Til he was a good shooter from there
I wish folks would leave Dan alone he’s a legend

Nonsense. People around here will find a dirt spot on a rock that looks like Lady Gaga and use it to some how complain about Cal.
UBE.gif

I was Manager on Dan’s last team he was the
Hardest working player in practice and in games
When he got to UK he was not a good baseline shooter but he stayed after practice a took 100 baseline jumpers
Til he was a good shooter from there
I wish folks would leave Dan alone he’s a legend
Amen! He’s Kentucky Basketball ROYALTY! Also, my father in law’s all time favorite player. That tells me all I need to know.

The point can also be taken that, regardless of how the roles are defined, positionless basketball does not mean each player doesn't have their role on the court depending on who is on the court with them. Cal either doesn't know the roles or he isn't communicating that well to his players.

Simplify, if it's too complex.

Maybe Cal likes it confusing so he can always place blame away from his role in things. In his first few years here Cal was all over the place and running the staff ragged chasing after so many different "ideas" and such. He's likely still the same way, and doesn't realize how much he contradicts himself, leading his players to not know what to do in tense moments.

When you are training someone, you have to be confident, organized in your thoughts, and able to communicate without being overly emotional. If you are tense, your trainee will be tense. If you are fearful, your trainee will learn to be fearful. If you hesitate or forget whats available, your trainees will hesitate and forget what to do.

If you think you've won well before the game is over and try to coast, you're team will think the same way, and you're more likely to lose as a result. I think he's got a hold of the reigns too tight, but as a toddler would, when someone tells him that, he will let go of the reigns altogether. The maturity just isn't there

Issel could play in this era, in any era. #2 all time points in ABA, currently #12 overall.
Cal sure wouldn't allow him the numbers he put up during his time here. Cal's not letting anyone average 33.

I sure don't see anyone going after Issel's UK records.

I always thought he might end up coaching UK. Incredible to think he had 2 stints as a head coach for the same team.

I think that's why he never communicated with Jodie Meeks, who was considering returning. Which is frkn weird for a coach, imo. He says he wants shooters, but that's bullsht. With Meeks he likely would've won a title that first year.

What he wants is to be the story and the hero. Why else would you keep Devin Booker (or any other player that has done so in the pros) from laying 50 on another college team? It's insane to think or coach that way. You feed the hot hand, rather than pull em from the game.

Anyway, nothing will change with him, because it's about him EVERY DAY. It got old pretty quickly. Now it's just sad

I think that's why he never communicated with Jodie Meeks, who was considering returning. Which is frkn weird for a coach, imo. He says he wants shooters, but that's bullsht. With Meeks he likely would've won a title that first year.

What he wants is to be the story and the hero. Why else would you keep Devin Booker (or any other player that has done so in the pros) from laying 50 on another college team? It's insane to think or coach that way. You feed the hot hand, rather than pull em from the game.

Anyway, nothing will change with him, because it's about him EVERY DAY. It got old pretty quickly. Now it's just sad
I can recall on a couple of occasions Cal pulling a Derek Willis when he started finding his stroke. It didn't make sense to me at the time, and it still doesn't.
Probably happened to Monk or Lamb as well. I just know the Willis thing stood out as it seemed Cal was trying to keep him on the bench.
And Dontaie Allen would have never gone off against MSU the game Cal got thrown out; he would have never let his own shooter take on a huge accomplishment.

I can recall on a couple of occasions Cal pulling a Derek Willis when he started finding his stroke. It didn't make sense to me at the time, and it still doesn't.
Probably happened to Monk or Lamb as well. I just know the Willis thing stood out as it seemed Cal was trying to keep him on the bench.
And Dontaie Allen would have never gone off against MSU the game Cal got thrown out; he would have never let his own shooter take on a huge accomplishment.

He has most consistently punished the kids that were from Kentucky that loved the program more than he is capable. It doesn't make sense to him. His loyalty is to fame and money, so he probably can't fathom how a kid could love his favorite team and give so much for it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT