ADVERTISEMENT

Jemarl Baker

Actually if you look at the three point percentages, Smith is the better shooter
(44% to 34%) Got Baker's 3 point percentage off Max preps.

Mini Doron Lamb. Looks craft as phuque. Lots of confidence. Not an overwhelming athlete but a ball player.

I'd love to have them both. It would be nice knowing we had a very solid backcourt duo locked up for 3 or 4 years. Mixing guys like this with the ultra talented 5 star one and done type players are IMHO the best way to go about winning championships. People argue whether talent is more important or whether experience is more important. The truth is, BOTH are important and you need a good balance of each for best results. We also need shooters and both of these guys seem to be very good in that regard.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going after the elite recruits. You gotta have those kinds of players. But there are 13 scholarship spots to be filled. So go ahead and recruit 5 or 6 elite studs every year if you can. But fill the remaining positions with guys like this.....guys that are good basketball players in their own right, just not the elite superstar type of prospect you expect to turn pro after one season. These guys don't have to be freaky athletic or anything, just good, solid, basketball players that excel in one or more areas of the game. Every recruit doesn't have to be a John Wall or Anthony Davis. We need guys like Darius Miller, Josh Harrellson, Anthony Epps and Hawk just as badly. Heck, even a walk-on named Cameron Mills who just happened to be a pretty darn good shooter played a key role on a UK championship team. You just need guys that are comfortable filling this role, which likely means 4 and 3 star players ranked between 50 and 150....the kind of guys who don't automatically expect to start or or go pro after one season. But they are very much capable of contributing in a huge way.

Those 06 and 07 Florida teams were dangerous for a number of reasons. Not the least of which was Lee Humphries dropping bombs when everyone was scrambling to cover the athletes on the floor.

We could use a player like that every year.

Reactions: Brando Mac
Give me both.

Both look like multi-year players, and I think we need that. Would be huge if kids stop transferring. How huge would Marcus Lee and Charles Matthews have been on this year's team?

We'll again be very young next year. Ridiculously young if Humphries/Gabriel/SKJ/or Wynyard leave.

We need to pick up 1-2 of these multi-year guys per recruiting class.

I think of the elite recruits left, we get Bamba and miss on Knox. If Knox surprises us, we have an embarrassment of riches. But I'm guessing that won't be the case.

If everyone leaves that is projected, that leaves us with 3 spots if I'm not mistaken.
Bamba
Smith
Baker.

Give me both.

Both look like multi-year players, and I think we need that. Would be huge if kids stop transferring. How huge would Marcus Lee and Charles Matthews have been on this year's team?

We'll again be very young next year. Ridiculously young if Humphries/Gabriel/SKJ/or Wynyard leave.

We need to pick up 1-2 of these multi-year guys per recruiting class.

I think of the elite recruits left, we get Bamba and miss on Knox. If Knox surprises us, we have an embarrassment of riches. But I'm guessing that won't be the case.

If everyone leaves that is projected, that leaves us with 3 spots if I'm not mistaken.
Bamba
Smith
Baker.

It might be a hard sell trying to land both Smith/Baker when Cal already has a multi-year guard spot going to Alexander. I see UK landing one of those guys, but I'd be elated if we landed both. I'm just glad Cal is pursuing more multi-year guys.

Bamba
Smith
Baker.

Another big man, backup PG and shooter off the bench fills all the holes. Smith/Baker/Alexander are all multi-year guys too. I'd be very happy with these three.

It might be a hard sell trying to land both Smith/Baker when Cal already has a multi-year guard spot going to Alexander. I see UK landing one of those guys, but I'd be elated if we landed both. I'm just glad Cal is pursuing more multi-year guys.

Fair point. Agree, would like to see more continuity on the roster.

Saul, seems like I hadn't seen you on here as much. You been MIA?

I agree. A deadeye shooter combined with a crazy long and athletic lineup would be a perfect fit. I think Quade Green's a better shooter than what he gets credit for too.

I'm just curious to see who's leaving at this point.

Reactions: kybballcrazy
Cal's struggled to find/keep 4 star shooters that are willing to stick around if they don't get immediate PT.

It would certainly be nice to add a player like that, though.

We have never really signed any 4 star shooters that have not stuck around. Most of the guys we have lost were not shooters...Matthews, Poole, and so on.

Just my opinion but I think they will only take one of Smith and Baker. I hope its Baker.

I truly hope we get both. Baker might be the best shooter of the 2, but I'm betting that Smith will eventually the best player out of the 2. Smith is 6'5 230 (good handle, good shooter, good hops, good rebounder, and will probably be the better defender). Baker looks thin and not as athletic. Take them both, we are losing a ton of guys. We don't even know about Briscoe, Hump, Wynyard, or Gabriel. Brad could be our only player coming back.

Last edited:
We have never really signed any 4 star shooters that have not stuck around. Most of the guys we have lost were not shooters...Matthews, Poole, and so on.

We also had Dodson who could shoot, but he was cray cray.

I felt like Matthews had potential as a respectable shooter here if he worked on it, but that likely would've been another Hawkins situation where it took until he was a junior or senior before he could be depended upon in that role, and he didn't want to wait that long for PT. Poole... yeah, he was a dud.

I would love for us to be able to add a multi-year 3 point sniper in the 4 star range, but it's difficult finding guys like that who are willing to come off the bench or maybe not log a significant amount of minutes right away, when a lower level power conference school can probably offer them a starting spot from day 1.

Everyone is saying these 2 guards are 3-4 year players. I guarantee you Cal is telling them if you aren't drafted in 2 years then he has failed them. It's his recruiting pitch to most of the 4-5 star guys. It works in landing them but also puts pressure on them in their mind to be gone within 2 years imo. A lot of these guys feel like they have failed if they aren't ready for the draft in a couple of years.

There is another guy, Daejon Davis, who is rated higher than either of these two and is seeking his release from Washington. Not sure if UK is interested.

Reactions: StubbornPenny
Take him!!!! Please! I love the crazy athletic guys like Diallo and Vanderbilt but I also love a kid that can flat out shoot AND has some size! If he stays a year or two past his freshman year, that'd be even better.

There is another guy, Daejon Davis, who is rated higher than either of these two and is seeking his release from Washington. Not sure if UK is interested.

Top 50, I bet Cal takes a look. Only 6'2" though. Cal may be looking for a guard with size.

Everyone is saying these 2 guards are 3-4 year players. I guarantee you Cal is telling them if you aren't drafted in 2 years then he has failed them. It's his recruiting pitch to most of the 4-5 star guys. It works in landing them but also puts pressure on them in their mind to be gone within 2 years imo. A lot of these guys feel like they have failed if they aren't ready for the draft in a couple of years.

Actually, one of the hype sheets projected Baker as a potential
lottery pick.

I don't know who we end up getting, but this kid has a NASTY stroke. I would prefer him in blue over the Illinois kid, although I'm sure he has his pluses also.

ADVERTISEMENT