ADVERTISEMENT

Jemarl Baker

I should add the best part about his game: He's such a good shooter, he's compared to Ray Allen
I'm not so sure he's as good as Ray Allen, one of the 5 best shooters in NBA history. If that is so , why is he a 4 star. Whatever, we need guards and he sure as hell can shoot.

I'm not so sure he's as good as Ray Allen, one of the 5 best shooters in NBA history. If that is so , why is he a 4 star. Whatever, we need guards and he sure as hell can shoot.
Ok, so the highlight reel compared him to Allen to drive in views. Sure, he probably won't be near as good as Allen, but it's never a bad thing to be even mentioned with him

I was really hoping Briscoe would return and give us some experience but Cal looking at all these guards he must be gone for sure.

I was really hoping Briscoe would return and give us some experience but Cal looking at all these guards he must be gone for sure.
Not necessarily, Cal has probably made it clear this spot is only open IF Briscoe is gone. Just covering his bases. It would be impossible to wait until we know that he's gone for sure to jump in.

Cal's struggled to find/keep 4 star shooters that are willing to stick around if they don't get immediate PT.

It would certainly be nice to add a player like that, though.

So do we want this kid or Smith?

I would take Smith, but what do I know. He's intriguing. He was a big time baseball player that hurt his arm. He's obviously an athlete. 6'5 230, PG skills and can shoot, also rebounds. Reminds me of Briscoe plus 2 inches and a better shooter.

Reactions: DanHalen88
You better have a shelf stocked full of extra bulbs, cause that kid can shoot the lights out. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: track42
If we really are losing 8 guys then we are only returning four of Diallo, Humphries, Jones, Wynyard, and Gabriel. That means we could possibly add 9 guys but it is likely we add 8. Right now we know Washington, Green, Richards, Vanderbilt and Alexander. Let's assume we get Bamba. If we don't get Knox, might as well add both Smith and Baker if you can. If we land Knox, you take whichever one you can get and you are very happy regardless.

Reactions: westerncat
Give us Baker all day everyday. He's a zone buster. This is the kind of kid I've been begging Cal to go after for years now. 5-star? No. But a dead-eye shooter. Gotta have him. Gotta gotta gotta gotta gotta have him

Reactions: kyups01 and Owp99
Give us Baker all day everyday. He's a zone buster. This is the kind of kid I've been begging Cal to go after for years now. 5-star? No. But a dead-eye shooter. Gotta have him. Gotta gotta gotta gotta gotta have him
I feel the same way. Mark Smith would be great too, but he is nowhere near Baker in terms of shooting, and that's not a knock on him as much as it's a testament to Baker being insanely good. I truly feel like this kid is the missing piece to next year's class and if we were to get him, we would be deadly.

Reactions: bradscats
If Briscoe leaves, sign them both. Start Green and Diallo. Alexander as third guard off the bench. Let Baker and Smith fight for the rest of the minutes. Then you have a couple of guards with experience coming back the next season.

Cal has to think ahead a little more with this class after losing three Seniors. Time to get some guys that will stick around 3-4 years. Can't just have OAD's, got to have those 3-4 year role players.

But do they shoot layups better
It's funny how some overhype these kids only to tear them down when they come to UK.He shoots well against other high schools kids so he's already better than Briscoe.But if he comes here and struggles any at all he will suck like Briscoe according to some.

Reactions: track42
I feel the same way. Mark Smith would be great too, but he is nowhere near Baker in terms of shooting, and that's not a knock on him as much as it's a testament to Baker being insanely good. I truly feel like this kid is the missing piece to next year's class and if we were to get him, we would be deadly.

Agreed 100%. Cal probably prefers Smith because of size and athleticism. It's just Cal's DNA to want the "athlete". But Baker is what the team needs. If Cal puts full court press on Baker and gets him it will tell us a lot.

Reactions: Cats192
I guess if we miss on Knox and Briscoe leaves we could take both. I would fully expect us to return Green, SKA, Smith and Baker in this scenario. Would be a heck of a start for 18-19.

ADVERTISEMENT