ADVERTISEMENT

Jemarl Baker (Darkhorse of class??)

BengalWACO

Junior
Sep 2, 2012
I truly think his shooting is going to open up a new world for our bigs. I have been watching many highlights and videos and he is so smooth and can get seperation. Can't wait to watch all of our awesome kids play this year.

Vs. Chino Hills (Lonzo Ball, etc.)

From Downtown

He doesn't elevate a lot on his jumper. Won't be as easy to get that shot off in college. But dude can catch and shoot, shoot off the bounce, on the run. He can sink the rock for sure. If he can defend he should see minutes next year. I'd also like to know what his vertical is.

Reactions: *Bleedingblue*
Im VERYYYYY pumped to see this cat play! Done lots of research on him and i do believe hes the best pure shooter Cal has ever brought in.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
He doesn't elevate a lot on his jumper. Won't be as easy to get that shot off in college. But dude can catch and shoot, shoot off the bounce, on the run. He can sink the rock for sure. If he can defend he should see minutes next year. I'd also like to know what his vertical is.
Wrong. Has lightning quick release and can pull up from anywhere. Chris Lofton/Steph Curry never had any issues. Quickness overrules jump height

I'm sure Cal will work with him on his defense.I really enjoyed an interview I read where he said he doesn't do much but stay in the gym working on his game.That work ethic will pay off.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Not only does he shoot well but his walk is down pat. Walks so effortlessly and puts emphasis on correct speed and foot placement.
Hes gonna be a good one!

I hope a handful of these guys come back next year. At Kentucky, even the role players are at risk of leaving early.

Bring back Baker, Alexander, Green, Wynyard and any three of the following: Gabriel, SKJ, Washington, Vanderbilt, Richards. I think Knox and Diallo (if he returns) are pretty straightforward OADs.

Should be interesting to see who comes back from this incoming freshmen class.

I don't really see Baker logging much playing time next season even if Diallo doesn't return because Cal has shown he will not play you if your defense and athleticism is not up to par, unless he just has no other acceptable options.

I hope a handful of these guys come back next year. At Kentucky, even the role players are at risk of leaving early.

Bring back Baker, Alexander, Green, Wynyard and any three of the following: Gabriel, SKJ, Washington, Vanderbilt, Richards. I think Knox and Diallo (if he returns) are pretty straightforward OADs.

Should be interesting to see who comes back from this incoming freshmen class.

I don't think we will do poorly next year and therefore no way that many guys actually come back. We tend to bleed more than that even in a down year. Still, it looks like we are starting to trend toward more roster stability in the future. I just don't see it playing out that strongly and us not being terrible.

If the kid can hit shots he will play. We have plenty of everything else. He is 6'4" and long his defense should be fine. Heck even Doron ended up being a serviceable defender. Think Jemarl will as well.

If the kid can hit shots he will play. We have plenty of everything else. He is 6'4" and long his defense should be fine. Heck even Doron ended up being a serviceable defender. Think Jemarl will as well.
He can shoot 80% from 3 point range, but if he can't defend up to Cal's standards he will not play. It's just that simple.
For all we know he could end up with, SKJ minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brando Mac
Wiltjer got PT and he couldn't guard Stephen Hawking.
Ha ha, good one. But in 13, he had to play KW, he didn't have anyone else.
12 was a year where he could afford to give KW spot minutes. He had AD and TJ back there to clean up and he had a good mix of veterans and stud freshman. We don't have that in 17/18.

Ha ha, good one. But in 13, he had to play KW, he didn't have anyone else.
12 was a year where he could afford to give KW spot minutes. He had AD and TJ back there to clean up and he had a good mix of veterans and stud freshman. We don't have that in 17/18.

Don't want to look it up, but I believe KW got 11 mins a game in 2012. I think Baker would take that.

I think Knox, Diallo [if he returns]Vanderbilt, and Richards are one and dones. I think Wenyen, SKJ, Tai return for junior years, I think Quade, PJ, shai, and Jemarl return for sophomore years and I think Cal signs his best class yet in 2018 with probably 5 freshman of Bagley, Zion, Langford, Barrett, reddish, Moses, khavon moore, shittu, quickly, grimes, smart, Reid, Bol.

Reactions: JC43
I think Knox, Diallo [if he returns]Vanderbilt, and Richards are one and dones. I think Wenyen, SKJ, Tai return for junior years, I think Quade, PJ, shai, and Jemarl return for sophomore years and I think Cal signs his best class yet in 2018 with probably 5 freshman of Bagley, Zion, Langford, Barrett, reddish, Moses, khavon moore, shittu, quickly, grimes, smart, Reid, Bol.
Why not 6?

Don't want to look it up, but I believe KW got 11 mins a game in 2012. I think Baker would take that.
He averaged 11.6 MPG, but when you look at the roster you can see why, he was spelling Jones and MKG.
I'm thinking he is looking at Mulder type minutes honestly. Unless he's some stud defender.
Truth is, everything is just a guess right now, we have no idea how any of these kids will make the transition from HS to college. We thought SKJ was going to dominate this year, but we had to put an APB out to find him. He was buried on the bench behind Brad.

Yeah, I don't see Baker getting 11 mins or anything. I was basically just saying if he can shoot, he could get more PT than people expect.

Yeah, I don't see Baker getting 11 mins or anything. I was basically just saying if he can shoot, he could get more PT than people expect.
If Diallo doesn't come back I could see Baker getting that many, very possibly.
At the 2;
Knox - 15 minutes
Shai - 15 minutes
Baker - 10

Close to that.

Baker is going to play a lot regardless of what happens with anyone else . Just listen to what Cal says in the recruiting video . I think without Diallo Or Johnson the 2 minutes will be split about evenually 3 ways with Knox , Alexander and Baker . and all 3 will always play other postitions . At times you could see alexander baker knox Pj and SKJ on the floor for example . He is the best shooter Cal has recruited here but he just needs to play average D to stay on the floor.

I don't really see Baker logging much playing time next season even if Diallo doesn't return because Cal has shown he will not play you if your defense and athleticism is not up to par, unless he just has no other acceptable options.

So he signed him as a practice player? Quit star-gazing

So he signed him as a practice player? Quit star-gazing

So everyone he signs gets a lot of PT as a freshman? Has nothing to do with star ratings and everything to do with Cal's preferences. If there is no other option, he will play the guy that can guard man-to-man and brick 50 shots a game over someone that can hit a lot of shots but also gets burned by his man or on defensive switches occasionally. I hope Baker can play defense because we need players that can make shots on the court.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
ADVERTISEMENT