ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Goodman has UK at #8

Really close to where we should be preseason, I didn’t think Gary P was being unfair having us at #17 pre Wheeler commitment.

People don’t like Wheeler because he can’t shoot, he’s not going to be shooting 3s here, he can drive the lane and pass, he’s a great addition to the team, he should probably play PG 25-30 mpg with Washington playing off the ball the whole game and 10-15 minutes at point when Wheeler isn’t in.

If Mintz comes back should be putting 4 guard/wing lineups on the floor at times.

PS: I’m not worried about turnovers or shooting from Wheeler, Wheeler probably won’t turn the ball over as much with more talent around, and he’s probably closer to a 30% shooter if he was only taking good looks and not forcing shots at Georgia because everyone around him sucks.

PSS: I don’t want to add another PG after the guys testing the waters pull out of the draft. Having Pippen or Carr would logjam the lineup and there’s be locker room and team chemistry issues if those guys weren’t getting the shots per game they wanted to show out for the NBA.

Reactions: BigTyrone
It feels about right.

But look at the possibilities for the ceiling to be even higher than that:

1. Collins realizes his stratospheric potential by December,
2. Hopkins lives up to the glimpses of promise,
3. Wheeler blossoms under a competent staff,
4. Washington continues his recent upward trajectory and is a classic Calipari PG,
5. A revitalized and hungry Oscar becomes a middle-income man's Julius Randle,
6. junior Keion Brooks figures it out,
7. Toppin has a break-out year.
8. Grady and Frederick, given the big stage to perform on, are better than expected.

I mean, none of those things are crazy. They won't ALL happen. But imagine if 3-4 or even 5 happen?

Hope Mintz comes back as he did a lot in a tough year. Carr less necessary now. Wheeler's weakness of outside shooting is less of concern with UK having a couple of guys who have shown the range. His Assists per game may be fantastic. Brooks would give them an option at PF as front line is still not deep. Good line up.

It feels about right.

But look at the possibilities for the ceiling to be even higher than that:

1. Collins realizes his stratospheric potential by December,
2. Hopkins lives up to the glimpses of promise,
3. Wheeler blossoms under a competent staff,
4. Washington continues his recent upward trajectory and is a classic Calipari PG,
5. A revitalized and hungry Oscar becomes a middle-income man's Julius Randle,
6. junior Keion Brooks figures it out,
7. Toppin has a break-out year.
8. Grady and Frederick, given the big stage to perform on, are better than expected.

I mean, none of those things are crazy. They won't ALL happen. But imagine if 3-4 or even 5 happen?
There’s a lot of things that can go our way but I think we deserve the ranking based on the amount of proven players we have.

It isn’t like other preseasons where we could be ranked top 5 based on potential and not see us be a top 5 team until the end of the year.

I think we begin next year as a top 10 team legit, and whether we progress into an elite elite team or not will be based on how many of those scenarios you provided come true.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Hope Mintz comes back as he did a lot in a tough year. Carr less necessary now. Wheeler's weakness of outside shooting is less of concern with UK having a couple of guys who have shown the range. His Assists per game may be fantastic. Brooks would give them an option at PF as front line is still not deep. Good line up.
Don’t want Carr. Guy doesn’t want to be in school, he’s a me first PG, it’d be his third school, he’d be here because things didn’t work out, not because he wanted to be here, other guys here at his position that are excited to be here, Wheeler wants to win here, he’s not here to score 20 PPG on ESPN and hope a team takes a flyer on him at the end of the draft.

Happy with what we have at PG.

I'll happily take that preseason ranking after last season.

I like the pieces we've put together and think they are capable of being a Top 10 team, but until we see how the team actually plays together, it's a surprisingly generous ranking.

I do not see Gozaga and Baylor being ranked so high with all they lose.

I do not see Gozaga and Baylor being ranked so high with all they lose.
Zags add the consensus #1 recruit in Holmgren, Sallis, and Hickman, plus return Timme and Nembhard as starters. They had 3-4 reserves who sacrificed and rode pine last year but could have started at most schools in the country, including UK. One was a highly-coveted Euro. I think they're a legit top 5 all season.

Baylor, on the other hand, not so sure ... but post-title is always a free pass, basically. Unless you're UK and go to the NIT and get made fun of for a decade later, even after your entire starting lineup goes in the first round (almost). #Sarcasm

I think that’s pretty accurate.

the ppl putting us below 15 are just compensating for how terrible we were last year and they are being overly cautious.

Last year removed: this roster would be considered top 5 nine out of ten years.

ADVERTISEMENT