ADVERTISEMENT

Jeep removes Springsteen Ad

OT a bit, I listen in no particular order to Radiohead, Dwight Yoakum, Stones, Dire Straits, Springsteen, Jason Eady, Miranda Lambert, War on Drugs, The National, REK, JR., Charlie Robson, U2, even classic Soul, etc. Have no idea how these artists vote (some of whom are not US citizens), who they politic for or what causes they support. And DGAF . . .

Have always lived Springsteen’s music. If you haven’t seen the documentary on the BTR recording, you should. Pretty amazing the depth they went into to make that album - plus he lost a couple of founding members of his band during the early recording.

Like Glen(n) - redundant ‘n’ Glen(n) - have seen Springsteen many times. After reading his autobiography though, it changed my thinking and not in a good way. Same thing happened when I read Clapton’s. Appears musicians seem to corner the market in self-absorption and entitlement.

Anyway - great songwriter and his support of the working man is a bit overplayed IMO unless you live on the east coast.

After reading his autobiography though, it changed my thinking and not in a good way. Same thing happened when I read Clapton’s. Appears musicians seem to corner the market in self-absorption and entitlement.

That too is true, many artists, actors, actresses, athletes, businessmen and women, politicians, who reach the very top are self absorbed, ruthless and single minded like no other, a quality that goes a long way to explaining how they got there . . . . while at the same time making them personally not really all that likable.

Agreed Tskware. And definitely not an ‘Everyman’ characteristic.

Springsteen really lost me in his description on how he avoided the draft (4F) and had nothing to do with being a pacifist but because he wanted to be a rock and roll musician.

Couldn’t / wouldn’t stay in college and found some way - was never fully described how - to be a 4F when he had no real medical issues.

Reactions: Tskware
Springsteen sucks, and not just because he’s a liberal, or because he speaks for the working man. He’s just terrible all around. Terrible.

Uh, yeah... no. He may not be your cup of tea but he hardly sucks, one of the great songwriter/performers in Rock. I'm not a huge fan but enjoy his music well enough.

As for the topic at hand, he is a little miscast for this Ad, guess Garth was too busy.

Lamar, I am not sure I understand . . . do you like Springsteen or not? 🤣
He's a douche. Many people think he became douche. No, he was always a douche. He wrote a song about being a douche in the middle of the night. He is from New Jersey which is infamous as the douche state. Do the math. :)

Agreed Tskware. And definitely not an ‘Everyman’ characteristic.

Springsteen really lost me in his description on how he avoided the draft (4F) and had nothing to do with being a pacifist but because he wanted to be a rock and roll musician.

Couldn’t / wouldn’t stay in college and found some way - was never fully described how - to be a 4F when he had no real medical issues.
He had a motorcycle accident and messed his body up pretty bad. I think that is why he failed his physical. Like many men who didn’t go to Vietnam for what ever reason I think it haunted him. Guilt is a bitch

He had a motorcycle accident and messed his body up pretty bad. I think that is why he failed his physical. Like many men who didn’t go to Vietnam for what ever reason I think it haunted him. Guilt is a bitch

NEW YORK — Bruce Springsteen admitted in a Friday interview with Tom Hanks at the TriBeca film festival he was a “stone-cold draft-dodger" and wrote one of his biggest songs to work through his guilt.

UPI reported that Springsteen admitted to Hanks that he pretended to be high on LSD and used other “tricks” to avoid going to Vietnam after close friends came home in wheelchairs, but later felt guilty about what he did.

Read More: Springsteen was a 'stone-cold draft-dodger' ... and felt guilty about it | https://nj1015.com/springsteen-was-...of-it/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Reactions: parrott
Springsteen was a hippie kid in the late 60s, playing rock music in bands. Of course he wanted to avoid Vietnam.

Springsteen was a hippie kid in the late 60s, playing rock music in bands. Of course he wanted to avoid Vietnam.
Other than Jimi Hendrix, I can't name any rock singer over 70 that became famous that also served in the military. Maybe there are some but I can't think of any at the moment. Nor any country icons for that matter

^ Jerry Garcia, B.B. King. Both Garcia & Hendrix made it out of boot camp but were discharged shortly afterward.

Johnny Cash & Kris Kristofferson from the country / rock side. All but Kristofferson are gone now but they fit the demographics above.

FTR - I grew up during the era and fully understand anyone's reluctance to serve but my point was that Springsteen found a way to get a 4F when there was no apparent medical reason why -- just to play music.

Just stop. I was in high school when BTR was released, and everyone on the planet was listening to it. And for the record, Springsteen was no overnight sensation, BTR was at least his 3rd record, he was in his mid 20s and about flat broke after being in the music business for 6 or 7 years. In short, he worked his ass off to get what he got.

Sorry, but very few people who make a living singing "work their ass off."

Sorry, but very few people who make a living singing "work their ass off."
You obviously have never been in theater music movies or TV. Is a very very difficult path to stardom I know from personal experience from a family member who tried. For every Bruce Springsteen there's 10000 out there that wanted to be Bruce Springsteen

^ Jerry Garcia, B.B. King. Both Garcia & Hendrix made it out of boot camp but were discharged shortly afterward.

Johnny Cash & Kris Kristofferson from the country / rock side. All but Kristofferson are gone now but they fit the demographics above.

FTR - I grew up during the era and fully understand anyone's reluctance to serve but my point was that Springsteen found a way to get a 4F when there was no apparent medical reason why -- just to play music.
“Not just to play music” - to avoid going to the war.
Maybe you’ve never heard his intro story (foe the River) from years ago where he told about the drummer in his first band “never coming home” from Vietnam. And then going ok with the story about getting his own draft notice and then telling his Dad that “they didn’t take me” and his Dad said “that’s good. That’s good.”

I’ve heard the intro and also read his book. We can agree to disagree.

As I said, my biggest issue is how he received his 4F. I grew up in that era and was draft eligible a couple of years behind Springsteen so I understand his mindset but didn’t like the way he went about it.

Reactions: blubo

“Mr. Springsteen is pleased with the outcome of today’s court appearance,” a statement from his rep reads. “The prosecutor was unable to provide the necessary evidence and facts as it related to the charge of Driving under the Influence (DUI) and Reckless Driving and therefore, dismissed both of those charges. Mr Springsteen, who has no previous criminal record of any kind, voluntarily plead guilty to a violation of consuming an alcoholic beverage in a closed area, agreeing to a fine of $500. We want to thank the Court and will have no further comment at this time.”

Mmmmm.

I’m pretty partial to Nebraska songs.

Most beautiful (and only?) melody written to honor drag racing: Racing in the Street (from another album).

Hard to get to hear him play it now. I’m sure the insurance industry would prefer he not

I like how raw this version is compared to Darkness. But I also have to agree with Glenn about Born to Run. My next favorite might be Tunnel of Love.

Reactions: The-Hack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT