ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Williams cost Coach K in 2002; R.J. Barrett cost him in 2019; and now it is Mark Williams' turn.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Most of Coach K's career, he's been getting critical calls when the game was on the line. Last night, Mark Williams, Banchero, and Keels combined to go 2-6 from the line in the last minute.

Jay Williams choked in 2002 when he had a potential four point play that would have tied it.

R.J. Barrett choked in 2019 when he had a chance to tie the game and send it to OT.

I find it amusing that the guy "who gets all the calls" and his bandwagon fan base will have the thought of missed free throws burned into the recesses of their collective souls.

Have fun with that one, Duke Nation.

7a2.gif

Missed FTs seem to be the deciding factor in 99% of college games. Ironically enough it allowed Duke to win against Texas Tech. It cost us our game this year. Has cost UK countless tournament games throughout the years. It’s pretty crazy how hit or miss and stressful FTs are in the college game, points meant to be easy and reward the offense sometime are the exact opposite.

Most of Coach K's career, he's been getting critical calls when the game was on the line. Last night, Mark Williams, Banchero, and Keels combined to go 2-6 from the line in the last minute.

Jay Williams choked in 2002 when he had a potential four point play that would have tied it.

R.J. Barrett choked in 2019 when he had a chance to tie the game and send it to OT.

I find it amusing that the guy "who gets all the calls" and his bandwagon fan base will have the thought of missed free throws burned into the recesses of their collective souls.

Have fun with that one, Duke Nation.

7a2.gif
Not only the FT misses but Duke and K actually got screwed on 2 plays late:
The foul call on Roach on the Davis drive was phantom and the illegal screen by Black to free up Love for the dagger was an obvious moving screen which UK would have undoubtedly been whistled for.

Duke and their fans will cry about those 2 plays all summer.

Mark Williams 2 FT misses with Duke down 1 with less than 50 seconds are two of the biggest FT misses in FF history.

Maybe the 2 biggest. If he makes both Duke undoubtedly would have found a way to win; hell, maybe if he only makes 1 of them.
BRUTAL

Missed FTs seem to be the deciding factor in 99% of college games. Ironically enough it allowed Duke to win against Texas Tech. It cost us our game this year. Has cost UK countless tournament games throughout the years. It’s pretty crazy how hit or miss and stressful FTs are in the college game, points meant to be easy and reward the offense sometime are the exact opposite.
Evidently it needs to be made even easier, if it's to be a "reward". Didn't the ABA have a 3 to make 2 rule, or am I misremembering that? Maybe after getting to the bonus?

Not only the FT misses but Duke and K actually got screwed on 2 plays late:
The foul call on Roach on the Davis drive was phantom and the illegal screen by Black to free up Love for the dagger was an obvious moving screen which UK would have undoubtedly been whistled for.

Duke and their fans will cry about those 2 plays all summer.
Yeah I watched the highlights and he totally held him on that screen. Funny they didn’t make that call. Adam’s would have danced down the floor doing an air guitar calling that against us.

This guy is over with. Time to move on.

Not yet.

@Son_Of_Saul i assume you watched the press conference like I did. One of the first things he did was throw Williams under the bus. He’s conscious of that fact that people think he’s a fraud too. He made a comment that he would hug the players but doesn’t want people to think he’s “showing off” for the cameras.

The guy is a grade A phony, he’s not the goat, he’s not even the goat of his own state, and I’m glad the propaganda now has to slow and I think people are going to begin to see it for what it is around 5 years from now. He’s one of the best but clearly overrated.

Not yet.

@Son_Of_Saul i assume you watched the press conference like I did. One of the first things he did was throw Williams under the bus. He’s conscious of that fact that people think he’s a fraud too. He made a comment that he would hug the players but doesn’t want people to think he’s “showing off” for the cameras.
He barely knows the players and it's been the case for the past 7/8 yrs where Nike/His Assistants did all his recruiting. I caught the same thing you did Morg where he threw Mark Williams under the bus and this comes on heels (no pun intended) of Kenny Smith trying to protect the player after the game on set of Turner.

I love that he/his wife had that LONG STROLL after eating that L. That was truly sickening and all about him. If he had any respect for the sport, he'd have told his friend Sean McManus (Duke Alum) to make it about the players but did he? Reality doesn't match the image that ESPN/CBS and numerous media members from Northeast crafted of this man. He was/is a user. He used his ties to Bobby Knight to start his career and clung to him as long as it benefited his career, (Army Job, Duke job, and Adidas Shoe Contract--yes the Dookies wore Adidas until '94 season) then when Knight was no longer seen in same light--he ditched the attachment as fast as he could and distanced himself from him. Nobody said it was dumb, but he's calculated and had protection that few get in coaching. I listed the players he's coached since '15 Championship team and fact the list of those players hadn't won regular season ACC titles, been to Final Fours until this year is truly a waste. Cal is rightfully taking heat, but one of the biggest reasons he's taking heat is losing some of the players K had in same time frame and all K did was "block" Kentucky--he didn't achieve what he should've yet nobody in media would dare speak of that.

And as you and I were discussing last night--it was often Roy Williams kicking his ass with less hyped/lower tier of talent who played as a team and at a pace that was awesome to watch. Glad Roy was there for the death of Coach K's career last night. He deserved to piss on the coaching grave of that Rat.

He barely knows the players and it's been the case for the past 7/8 yrs where Nike/His Assistants did all his recruiting. I caught the same thing you did Morg where he threw Mark Williams under the bus and this comes on heels (no pun intended) of Kenny Smith trying to protect the player after the game on set of Turner.

I love that he/his wife had that LONG STROLL after eating that L. That was truly sickening and all about him. If he had any respect for the sport, he'd have told his friend Sean McManus (Duke Alum) to make it about the players but did he? Reality doesn't match the image that ESPN/CBS and numerous media members from Northeast crafted of this man. He was/is a user. He used his ties to Bobby Knight to start his career and clung to him as long as it benefited his career, (Army Job, Duke job, and Adidas Shoe Contract--yes the Dookies wore Adidas until '94 season) then when Knight was no longer seen in same light--he ditched the attachment as fast as he could and distanced himself from him. Nobody said it was dumb, but he's calculated and had protection that few get in coaching. I listed the players he's coached since '15 Championship team and fact the list of those players hadn't won regular season ACC titles, been to Final Fours until this year is truly a waste. Cal is rightfully taking heat, but one of the biggest reasons he's taking heat is losing some of the players K had in same time frame and all K did was "block" Kentucky--he didn't achieve what he should've yet nobody in media would dare speak of that.

And as you and I were discussing last night--it was often Roy Williams kicking his ass with less hyped/lower tier of talent who played as a team and at a pace that was awesome to watch. Glad Roy was there for the death of Coach K's career last night. He deserved to piss on the coaching grave of that Rat.

That’s exactly right. He’s fake and he’s overrated to a degree that is just stupid. It’s all propaganda. He’s not the goat. Clearly. Clearly.

Roy is far superior and waaay more likeable. Roy actually is in it for UNC and the players. That’s why he stepped down in the middle of the night. But make no mistake he’s the reason UNC is where it is right now. This is his 4th title if they win it I’ll never grant this title is Davis’.

Also correct that the choke job of coach K is epic. I’ve said for a while now that Duke got into the OAD game to first block Calipari and figure the rest out later. It backfired, but nobody realizes it. I repeat in 5-10 years people will see this more clearly. Roy Williams is the goat of the modern era.

The thing is coaches go pro, they make 1 or two poor decisions, and the media takes on a narrative. I wouldn’t even take coach K over a prime Pitino. Pitino came into UK and took everything from him in the 90’s. Roy Williams has done the same at UNC. This guy ain’t no goat. He’s not innovative like Roy or Pitino in the modern era, he wasn’t revolutionary like Rupp or Knight in the pre 85 era.

Players winning a championship isn’t luck, but a lot of his resume was just luck. Valvano dying of cancer, Pitino going to Boston, Roy waiting too long to take over at UNC, Duke journalism, and being allowed to coach team USA for years when every other coach said it’s not a job for one man. He’s bastardized the sport.

I really can’t wait for the reality of what he is to truly settle.

That’s exactly right. He’s fake and he’s overrated to a degree that is just stupid. It’s all propaganda. He’s not the goat. Clearly. Clearly.

Roy is far superior and waaay more likeable. Roy actually is in it for UNC and the players. That’s why he stepped down in the middle of the night. But make no mistake he’s the reason UNC is where it is right now. This is his 4th title if they win it I’ll never grant this title is Davis’.

Also correct that the choke job of coach K is epic. I’ve said for a while now that Duke got into the OAD game to first block Calipari and figure the rest out later. It backfired, but nobody realizes it. I repeat in 5-10 years people will see this more clearly. Roy Williams is the goat of the modern era.

The thing is coaches go pro, they make 1 or two poor decisions, and the media takes on a narrative. I wouldn’t even take coach K over a prime Pitino. Pitino came into UK and took everything from him in the 90’s. Roy Williams has done the same at UNC. This guy ain’t no goat. He’s not innovative like Roy or Pitino in the modern era, he wasn’t revolutionary like Rupp or Knight in the pre 85 era.

Players winning a championship isn’t luck, but a lot of his resume was just luck. Valvano dying of cancer, Pitino going to Boston, Roy waiting too long to take over at UNC, Duke journalism, and being allowed to coach team USA for years when every other coach said it’s not a job for one man. He’s bastardized the sport.

I would throw in that in our time watching CBB, I'd add Jim Calhoun to the list of coaches with Pitino and Roy Williams. Those 3 guys saved us from truly being sickened by the Coach K "tour" last night. Calhoun lost to Duke early on and then owned him like a rented mule after. That '03 Semifinal win in San Antonio exposed the true Coach K to many when he berated the officials and chased them off the floor after blowing a 9 pt lead in last 3 mins of Final Four semifinal. They beat his "best team" in '99 too. Pitino stole the spotlight in '90's and then left. Roy as you stated...made up for lost time.....and quickly.

Love how you mentioned how they just wanted to block Cal/Kentucky's success as that is perfectly stated. They didn't have a plan, it was let's copy everything, work together to get a spin and then own it as if we invented the format and really only prevented Cal from getting some talent with all that strategy.

90% of CBB fans wouldn't even recognize the foul nonsense Valvano did as a HC too. They see him get lauded and placed on a higher level every November with the Jimmy V Cancer stuff but as a HC--he was truly Will Wade like-only slimier.

The way media can make/destroy the image of a program/coach is always interesting.

Sorry Mark, that’s karma. You’re listed at 242 pounds but at least twice I saw you flop like you were shot out of a cannon. Deep down you missed those free throw’s because you knew you didn’t deserve them.

it kind of works both ways though, two last second shots sent Duke to the Final Four. Also after Williams missed Love still hit a 3 from the top of the key.

I would throw in that in our time watching CBB, I'd add Jim Calhoun to the list of coaches with Pitino and Roy Williams. Those 3 guys saved us from truly being sickened by the Coach K "tour" last night. Calhoun lost to Duke early on and then owned him like a rented mule after. That '03 Semifinal win in San Antonio exposed the true Coach K to many when he berated the officials and chased them off the floor after blowing a 9 pt lead in last 3 mins of Final Four semifinal. They beat his "best team" in '99 too. Pitino stole the spotlight in '90's and then left. Roy as you stated...made up for lost time.....and quickly.

Love how you mentioned how they just wanted to block Cal/Kentucky's success as that is perfectly stated. They didn't have a plan, it was let's copy everything, work together to get a spin and then own it as if we invented the format and really only prevented Cal from getting some talent with all that strategy.

90% of CBB fans wouldn't even recognize the foul nonsense Valvano did as a HC too. They see him get lauded and placed on a higher level every November with the Jimmy V Cancer stuff but as a HC--he was truly Will Wade like-only slimier.

The way media can make/destroy the image of a program/coach is always interesting.

Was it a Nike decision or Coach K decision to block Cal? Then I ask how would it be different if they didn't block Cal? Also what BS do they spit out on the recruiting trail that these kids bite hook, line, and sinker?

Jim Calhoun also stopped Kentucky from adding to their title count as did UNC. So you know that kind of goes both ways .

Jim Calhoun also stopped Kentucky from adding to their title count as did UNC. So you know that kind of goes both ways .
Yes, but I think Calhoun is a better coach than Cal, which proved to be the case. UNC has but they have a great rivalry that I'd put in top 3 of must see games when matching up. Usually deliver some great basketball.

One trend I've noticed with Cal and your comment on Calhoun stopping UK got me thinking of this-when Cal gets into "wars" with another program/coach, he almost always gets his head handed to him. Calhoun hated him when he was at UMass and that carried over. I only remember Cal beating UConn with Wall in '10 season. Minute he sniped at Coach K, the only win over them I remember was in '16 season Champions Classic but K had the '15 title prior year and has smacked him around since Cal sniped. Really the only program I think Cal has won majority of games throwing shots and picking fights is Louisville and now with Payne there, we'll see if that continues??

But Wheeler missing 2 in OT and Oscar missing 2 in OT can't be categorized as being the players fault and ultimately means "Cal can't coach".

The hypocrisy here is staggering. I'll check back once a month or so. Nothing will change. 🤡 show.

Last edited:

Roy is more likable, but then again so is 99.9% of the population.

don’t go crowning Roy something he isn’t. He had the number one team something like 7-9 years at Kansas and won zero titles.

his first two titles would have been vacated had they happened anywhere else and number three was a gift from John Higgins.

K should have had more titles for sure, but Roy is equally as bad at winning with superior talent when it counts.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
But Wheeler missing 2 in OT and Oscar missing 2 in OT can't be categorized as being the players fault and ultimately means "Cal can't coach".

The hypocrisy here is staggering. I'll check back once a month or so. Nothing will change. 🤡 show.
Cuz having a close game coming down to free throws against UNC in the final four,
and free throws deciding the game against Saint Peters in the first round, are the exact same thing.
Funny how UNC game against the mighty Peacocks wasn't close enough to make free throws an issue.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Roy is more likable, but then again so is 99.9% of the population.

don’t go crowning Roy something he isn’t. He had the number one team something like 7-9 years at Kansas and won zero titles.

his first two titles would have been vacated had they happened anywhere else and number three was a gift from John Higgins.

K should have had more titles for sure, but Roy is equally as bad at winning with superior talent when it counts.

Im not going to argue much of this, but it’s really not my point. Coach K isn’t close to the guy they’ve created. He’s not the goat. I submit Roy is actually the modern goat between the two if we had to choose. I’m no fan of Roy, but I do think he’s a little less fake than K and his resume to me at UNC is just better than what K has done all things considered and lbs for lbs.

And damn. The way his program has just shut the door on K is something that wouldn’t happen to “the goat” (and I do believe Roy is essentially in charge of that program right now). Roy has his warts hell looks like they all do. College basketball coaches are corrupt, who knew.

What was said? I haven’t heard.

He basically said Williams didn’t show up but it’s “okay”. Then I think went back to it about the missed free throws.

Of all the pressure he put on that team to give himself a party night after night…..it’s unreal how awful he is. Williams played hard for Duke this year and without him Duke wasn’t even in that game. I’m still shocked when I see coach K in action, I shouldn’t be but I am.

He basically said Williams didn’t show up but it’s “okay”. Then I think went back to it about the missed free throws.

Of all the pressure he put on that team to give himself a party night after night…..it’s unreal how awful he is. Williams played hard for Duke this year and without him Duke wasn’t even in that game. I’m still shocked when I see coach K in action, I shouldn’t be but I am.

This is exactly what he said in the cbs interview: “They’re really down, you know? And, especially the younger players, they’ll look at a free throw and say, ‘I lost the game,’ one play does not win or lose the game. Don’t beat yourself up,” he said. “We had our opportunities, they made one more opportunity than us.” If there was more in the post game with the full media I did not see any of that.

This is exactly what he said in the cbs interview: “They’re really down, you know? And, especially the younger players, they’ll look at a free throw and say, ‘I lost the game,’ one play does not win or lose the game. Don’t beat yourself up,” he said. “We had our opportunities, they made one more opportunity than us.” If there was more in the post game with the full media I did not see any of that.

Watch the post game questions by the female and Andy Kats. I think it’s there.

Cuz having a close game coming down to free throws against UNC in the final four,
and free throws deciding the game against Saint Peters in the first round, are the exact same thing.
Funny how UNC game against the mighty Peacocks wasn't close enough to make free throws an issue.

OK, let's throw that game out. Since Coach K has been absolved of all responsibility when his players miss free throws in big games. according to this thread., Cal is absolved as well. Right? No, not right because idiots here have a set of rules for everyone else and a set of rules for Cal. Never seen such but hurt. No wonder people say UK fans are THE worst. Its's that very small percentage that makes us all look like dorks.

ADVERTISEMENT