ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas

probably getting whipped by k because he didn't do good enough job of persuading selection committee to get #1 SEED so they didn't have to match up against tough South Carolina team........

Last photo of Jay taken at ESPN...

101lwn.jpg

I get that he was wrong but we always bemoan not having friendly media towards UK and yet relentlessly attack every one of them .

Ha. We have posters on this very board that will bash you if you don't swear on a stack of bibles that (random Kentucky player name) is the greatest player of all-time. Some pretty thin skin around here if you're not wearing the thickest of blue glasses. It wasn't too long ago that this board loved Jay Bilas for some of the praise he was giving Cal and UK. Now he's a whipping boy cause he was pretty high on a talented team that had just won a pretty tough conf tournament.

Ha. We have posters on this very board that will bash you if you don't swear on a stack of bibles that (random Kentucky player name) is the greatest player of all-time. Some pretty thin skin around here if you're not wearing the thickest of blue glasses. It wasn't too long ago that this board loved Jay Bilas for some of the praise he was giving Cal and UK. Now he's a whipping boy cause he was pretty high on a talented team that had just won a pretty tough conf tournament.
Yea . I have pretty thick blue tinted glasses or otherwise I wouldn't be following UK this much but I also realize that non UK fans can't possibly think the way I do . Bilas was wrong but we all are at some point , my only problem with Bilas is his stance on UNC and even with that I don't dismiss everything he says .

Reactions: howercat
I still like Jay and I know if my role was reversed with his, it would be very difficult to not pump UK up and not be so excited about the ACC and Duke. That being said I am watching Brad Van Pelt on ESPN now and he was saying that the ACC in basketball was like the SEC in football in that year in and year out they were the conference and when you were in a one game scenario anything can happen which is true. The bad thing is they talk about the SEC like it is bush league thats where I take exception with them....maybe a better way to put it is they look like the news media after Trump won.

Reactions: MO_Blue
My problem was the way he went about it.Insisting they be a 1 seed,saying 3 ACC teams make final 4,saying ACC tourney was tougher than NCAA.He was downright rude to Seth Greenburg when he dared to voice he didn't feel Duke deserved the one.Saying it was a joke Duke was a 4 in the list that came out earlier even though Duke struggled in 5th place in the ACC. I get he loves his school but his job is to report on teams without such bias.He really failed at that.

For years, Bilas was great. Impartial and objective. But about 3 years or so ago, something changed.

Since then, he's been blatantly biased. This last loss is a clear illustration. He's been basically twitter dark since the loss. Pathetic

Ha. We have posters on this very board that will bash you if you don't swear on a stack of bibles that (random Kentucky player name) is the greatest player of all-time. Some pretty thin skin around here if you're not wearing the thickest of blue glasses.

It's a double-edged sword, though.

We have the blue-tinted folks who, IMO, aren't nearly as bad as the "all gloom and doom all the time" people. I just can't understand going through life expecting the worst. (And believe me, I'm a lifelong Bengals, Reds and UK football fan. I completely understand the "waiting on the other shoe to drop" feeling.)

For every kwilt and cane you have a Cut Nets or Ripcord. I'll take the "I stand by my team at all times" people over the "this team sucks and won't make the NIT even though they're ranked in the top 10" folks any day of the week.

I do agree that UK fans are way too bipolar when it comes to the talking heads. If they say something good about the Cats, they're the best. If they don't crown us in November, they're an idiot who doesn't know anything.

Reactions: track42
I get that he was wrong but we always bemoan not having friendly media towards UK and yet relentlessly attack every one of them .

You know that's not true at all. Before he became lead (color) announcer for ESPN, he got praise from all because he was pretty fair and balanced.

But as soon as he got that lead role, he started (forced) towing the company line of defending the ACC/dUKe/UNC* at all costs. And his continued defense of Ol Roy and the Crypt Keeper is inexcusable

So no, your statement is wrong

Has he really not commented on the Duke loss yet? As a lead college basketball analyst, how is that even possible?

Jay outed himself as a non-biased commentator, haha and he was acting insane while doing it. For shit sake's he was just tears away from being in a complete meltdown temper tantrum

Dude was about to blow a gasket on Seth Greenburg for even thinking for a second he could question the great one.

55c69b72f9199d83f7a23433005a0e0f_animated-rock-gif-ah-yeah-gif_320-180.gif

Reactions: Willy4UK and Aike

Incredibly bad take, if you've actually been paying attention.

I partially agree with you. I always thought Bilas was a breath of fresh air up until the Grayson Allen incidents. The talking heads were hard on him and K. After that, though, there was an overall change of demeanor. I'm not much of one to herald conspiracy theories, but there seems to have been a memo come out shortly after that that cut the nuts off these same guys.

Yea . I have pretty thick blue tinted glasses or otherwise I wouldn't be following UK this much but I also realize that non UK fans can't possibly think the way I do . Bilas was wrong but we all are at some point , my only problem with Bilas is his stance on UNC and even with that I don't dismiss everything he says .
This is where it went south for me, as well
I don't mind bias - we all have it. I do mind dismissing the unc** thing, the uofl** thing and the Gracie Allen incidents. Then, too, he started toeing the company line, and it became difficult to listen at times.
He doesn't have to constantly compliment UK - none of them do

We also need to remember the year that UK was a bubble team and Bilas repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly talked about how UK didn't deserve an NCAA bid. If he had said it once or twice, I would have been okay with it. But, it was as if he were campaigning on the issue.

I completely agree. I don't agree with everything Jay says but, in my opinion, he has been the most unbiased media guy around. That's saying something considering he's a Dukie.

You know that's not true at all. Before he became lead (color) announcer for ESPN, he got praise from all because he was pretty fair and balanced.

But as soon as he got that lead role, he started (forced) towing the company line of defending the ACC/dUKe/UNC* at all costs. And his continued defense of Ol Roy and the Crypt Keeper is inexcusable

So no, your statement is wrong
I'm not wrong , you just have a very narrow view in life . There is too much black or white and not enough grey areas for you to be balanced . What employee doesn't try to promote the message their employer encourages them to do . Besides it's not like the ACC is a horrible conference because usually it's better than most , it was overrated this year no doubt . But just because Bilas errored in thinking that doesn't mean he needs to be destroyed on here because it hurt your feelings .

I'm not wrong , you just have a very narrow view in life . There is too much black or white and not enough grey areas for you to be balanced . What employee doesn't try to promote the message their employer encourages them to do . Besides it's not like the ACC is a horrible conference because usually it's better than most , it was overrated this year no doubt . But just because Bilas errored in thinking that doesn't mean he needs to be destroyed on here because it hurt your feelings .

Don't flatter yourself: he didn't hurt mine, or anyone's feelings. He's being called out for being exposed as a phony

Reactions: Aike

i agree with you and your other comments.

However, one thing i'll say is i think he actually needs to be criticized this time around. He needed to focus more on every aspect of tournament, but he really drove the #1 seed for Duke and ACC needs more team.

I don't mind bias, but he needs to do a better job of really discuss everyone (That's his job). Also, he could of done some homework, because based of Feb. 11 release, i never thought Duke was in discussion, but he spewed so much #1 argument.

He is quick to attack NCAA for their mistake, but he hasn't come out on his mistake. His affection towards Duke really was amateurish hour for me.

I still like him as one of the better ones, but it's like selection committee not allowing AD to talk about their own team. I think ESPN should do something similar for Bilas and Williams.

Reactions: Aike and Blueaz
i agree with you and your other comments.

However, one thing i'll say is i think he actually needs to be criticized this time around. He needed to focus more on every aspect of tournament, but he really drove the #1 seed for Duke and ACC needs more team.

I don't mind bias, but he needs to do a better job of really discuss everyone (That's his job). Also, he could of done some homework, because based of Feb. 11 release, i never thought Duke was in discussion, but he spewed so much #1 argument.

He is quick to attack NCAA for their mistake, but he hasn't come out on his mistake. His affection towards Duke really was amateurish hour for me.

I still like him as one of the better ones, but it's like selection committee not allowing AD to talk about their own team. I think ESPN should do something similar for Bilas and Williams.
He's flawed but I don't know if it warrants the amount of condemnation it gets , in other words there's nothing wrong with criticizing his opinion but it doesn't require a mushroom cloud .

He's flawed but I don't know if it warrants the amount of condemnation it gets , in other words there's nothing wrong with criticizing his opinion but it doesn't require a mushroom cloud .

that's true, but....it's still fun. :p

ADVERTISEMENT