ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas On U6

Chuckinden

All-American
Jun 12, 2006
Jay said he was not in favor of vacating titles because it was the kids that earned it. He said he would always reference Louisville as the 2013 Champs.

Of course it was the kids that played, who else? Seems like a dubious reason for that opinion. You could use the same logic to excuse pretty much any violation or corruption.

Reactions: kat57 and morgousky
Record books say otherwise, and in the distant future, that’s all that will matter.

So Mr Bilas what would you have done? Slapped them on the back of the hand with a ruler? Tell them now don’t do that again or we’re going to put you in a timeout?

So Mr Bilas what would you have done? Slapped them on the back of the hand with a ruler? Tell them now don’t do that again or we’re going to put you in a timeout?
He said a heavy fine would have been better.

We can't give penalties for the future because it punishes people who weren't involved when the violations happened. Can't vacate the past because "the kids earned it." Guess we're left with left with Vitale's "just write a check" where any school with sufficiently wealthy donors can afford to cheat. Or, we'd hear the pundits complain that basketball's sins were bankrupting the athletic department and harming the rowing team. Seems like the only answer is don't fracking cheat.

Reactions: morgousky
We can't give penalties for the future because it punishes people who weren't involved when the violations happened. Can't vacate the past because "the kids earned it." Guess we're left with left with Vitale's "just write a check" where any school with sufficiently wealthy donors can afford to cheat. Or, we'd hear the pundits complain that basketball's sins were bankrupting the athletic department and harming the rowing team. Seems like the only answer is don't fracking cheat.

This all day.

If you set this up where the most wealthy institutions can just write a check, there would be no rules.

Reactions: kat57
Yeah, how does he feel about vacating wins.. A title or not, it's the same across the board.

The entire panel on Around the Horn agreed with him. Kornheiser disagrees though, thinking it should have been the death penalty.

Never understand this logic. Let's give them all 100 mill each. They played the games, won the title. Screw the fact they cheated to get there. :flush: A title should be treated no differently.

Bilas has gone to the dark side over the past several years. He used to be tolerable/decent but he’s just as bad as dickie v anymore.

"They Earned It"? I can't believe a guy who has a law degree would subscribe to such faulty logic. How can you earn something when you cheated to get it? If you cheat in any endeavor in life, be it your taxes, your job, your education, etc. , you haven't earned it. Given his views on "cheating" i.e. UNC, UL, I'm beginning to wonder what he thought about cheating when he was a law student.

Reactions: kat57
"They Earned It"? I can't believe a guy who has a law degree would subscribe to such faulty logic. How can you earn something when you cheated to get it? If you cheat in any endeavor in life, be it your taxes, your job, your education, etc. , you haven't earned it. Given his views on "cheating" i.e. UNC, UL, I'm beginning to wonder what he thought about cheating when he was a law student.

Jay says that he took the same kinds of classes at Duke that the UNC players were taking. I guess he cheated and wants to believe that everyone does and should.

Reactions: wildcatfan-2-
So, no program should ever vacate any games! He's off base on this one.
Yep pretty much. If you take away their title then you are punishing the kids for something they earned. And of course no program should have lose scholarships or be put on probation because then you would be punishing the following team and not the kids that got caught.

See why Bilas is a waste of air. Typical lawyer garbage.

What about they keep the money, keep the title, but have a year's ban from all TV and all tournaments for each year an infraction took place. .. What's that, about 3/4 years ban.
Now that would hit the bank account. What recruit would go there with no TV or NCAA expouser?

Reactions: shep21754
Bilas is a tool, I used to like him, but now I can't stand him.. He thinks its ok to cheat now..Some of the kids were brought there illegally. The postseason ban will come next(FBI)

Ironically, a heavy fine not only hurts the athletic program but every single student and then it hurts the tax payers of the State of Kentucky. Yes, give back the money they earned in the tournament, but other financial penalties in my opinion is totally out of the NCAA's jurisdiction. I would agree with UofL if that happened and they sued the NCAA. Plus, UofL took a big financial hit when they banned them self from post season play. No ACC money, no NCAA money that year and they had a solid team. Not like the sham of a team Syracuse had when they self imposed a ban.

The kids who won it collected illegal benefits in the form of whores that brought them together as a collective unit. Maybe they would have been the same team without the whores? Maybe not? We will never know because they hired whores and made themselves ineligible. This is how it works

Haven’t even gotten into the cash yet. Just the whores. More is coming.... after, you know, the whores

Reactions: wildcatfan-2-
The players were ineligible. How do you justify anything accomplished by ineligible players?
It's positions like this that have effectively destroyed Bilas' reputation. Just complete nonsense. It's like his beef with the NCAA supersedes reality. There are thousands of instances where the NCAA gets it wrong but, in this case they got it right. At least according to their own rulebook.

Funny how people are saying this but didn’t say the same when Cal’s were Vacated

Reactions: KailuaCat
ADVERTISEMENT