ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas can't-miss prospect Okafor

I know this is a schadenfreude thread, but smart trade by the Sixers. Booker is a solid bench guy. He's never had a PER below 13.9, and has been over 15 in 6 of his 8 seasons. Okafor means nothing to them at this point, and Stauskus is the walking definition of expendable.

Booker is exactly the type of guy that can help them make the playoffs and push for 45+ wins, which is clearly a reasonable goal. Smarter to get him than to try and save face by worrying that you blew a #2 overall pick.

I know this is a schadenfreude thread, but smart trade by the Sixers. Booker is a solid bench guy. He's never had a PER below 13.9, and has been over 15 in 6 of his 8 seasons. Okafor means nothing to them at this point, and Stauskus is the walking definition of expendable.

Booker is exactly the type of guy that can help them make the playoffs and push for 45+ wins, which is clearly a reasonable goal. Smarter to get him than to try and save face by worrying that you blew a #2 overall pick.

I agree. Decent trade for them, just kind of startling to see a #3 pick traded like this and they had to throw in another garbage player and a draft pick and only got a bench player in return. I actually think Booker is the kind of guy they really needed because they don't have a true PF.

Pretty funny that the Nets now have the #2 and #3 picks from 2015, not a bad recovery after trading away all their picks to Boston.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
Brooklyn will win 2 championships in the next ten years because they have okafor now. His walk is 10 x better than towns

Okafur was a casualty of a team that consistently got the #1pick and eventually got even more talented players and all of them played his position or basically in the front court. Same thing happened to Noel in Philly.

The "Process" didn't work in Philly since it took years and years to get to where they are and they still are not a playoff team and one akward fall by Embid away from the Lottery again...

Okafur is going to be a long time pro, all star, no, his defense is not so good. But as I know this thread was to bash Bilas, Okafur can get 20 and 10 most nights, that is pretty darn close to a "cannot miss" talent. Is he the second coming no, but darn good. come on folks.

Reactions: Neue Regel
What's Bilas got to do with it? Ya'll will twist the tiniest thing to bash the guy....
He has self proclaimed himself as the voice of college basketball while showing true bias for Duke. Numerous times lobbying for Okafor to go #1 over Towns. When you think your opinion matters then you're going to be reminded when you're wrong. Okafor sucks.

Smart for the Nets. Get a lottery talent for nothing and see if you can make anything out of him.

Good move for the Nets too. You suck anyway, might as well take some chances on guys who clearly have talent.

Love these Duke threads. This one gives me the chance to comment that Okafur looks so effing dumb - like something that would be better suited for the service half of a Tijuana donkey show.

Okafur was a casualty of a team that consistently got the #1pick and eventually got even more talented players and all of them played his position or basically in the front court. Same thing happened to Noel in Philly.

The "Process" didn't work in Philly since it took years and years to get to where they are and they still are not a playoff team and one akward fall by Embid away from the Lottery again...

Okafur is going to be a long time pro, all star, no, his defense is not so good. But as I know this thread was to bash Bilas, Okafur can get 20 and 10 most nights, that is pretty darn close to a "cannot miss" talent. Is he the second coming no, but darn good. come on folks.

No. Okafor wasn't a casualty of Philly. He's just not very good at anything outside of post scoring, which isn't a real valuable asset anymore.

Ratface should just go ahead and do it. Get that mammal reassignment surgery and build a big wheel in his nest

What's Bilas got to do with it? Ya'll will twist the tiniest thing to bash the guy....

Arrogant post? Check.
First 3 post of thread? Check (as always)
Still trolling after all of this time? Check.

If you're not a troll, by far the most annoying poster on rafters. And with guys like UMM, butters, and a few others, that's really hard to do.

I have three people on ignore. Never cared enough but you're just a terrible poster in general, day to day. Everyone has off days, you have an off account.

Ghost.

Okafor seems to me to be an example of a guy who just has enough natural ability and size to excuse himself from working very hard most of his life. He should have been a can't-miss talent but he doesn't know what it means to improve yourself and become the best at your craft. Other guys have passed him. And putting him with the Sixers was not good for this, either. They're getting better now, but he's formed bad habits that won't be broken quickly. He's not hungry anymore, either, which doesn't help. I don't know much about the Nets, but if they don't handle him well he will keep on the same path.

Okafor seems to me to be an example of a guy who just has enough natural ability and size to excuse himself from working very hard most of his life. He should have been a can't-miss talent but he doesn't know what it means to improve yourself and become the best at your craft. Other guys have passed him. And putting him with the Sixers was not good for this, either. They're getting better now, but he's formed bad habits that won't be broken quickly. He's not hungry anymore, either, which doesn't help. I don't know much about the Nets, but if they don't handle him well he will keep on the same path.

A lot to unpack here. You think he got as good as he is in the post without working hard? People always seem to equate offensive skill with natural ability and defensive skill with effort and hard work. It’s a very simplistic way to try and caregorize players. The truth is that it’s a mix of both for any player.

Also what makes you think he’s not “hungry” now.

Where Bilas gets all of his information and he is NEVER wrong!! (SI)

th

He has self proclaimed himself as the voice of college basketball while showing true bias for Duke. Numerous times lobbying for Okafor to go #1 over Towns. When you think your opinion matters then you're going to be reminded when you're wrong. Okafor sucks.
To be fair though
Didn’t Okafor look pretty good in college?

To be fair though
Didn’t Okafor look pretty good in college?

He was the #1 player in the high school class by most services and didn't do anything to diminish that status. KAT passed him to be the #1 pick because he was a little bigger, a little stronger, and a much better shot blocker. The Lakers needed a point guard and took DeAngelo Russell at #2, so the Sixers took the best player on the board who was Okafor (although they really should have taken Justise Winslow.) At that point they didn't know if Embiid would ever be totally healthy and they needed depth at center behind Noel. I think some in the organization really thought Okafor and Noel could play together, but that never worked in practice.

I think the Sixers organization sucks. They have a very suspect record with injuries and "The Process" seemed to have worked with only two guys out of a 6 year tank job. I watched them lose to a bad Lakers team at home last night while Ben Simmons had a triple double. They have made bad decisions on guys like JJ Redick who cannot defend a lamppost, and they still have garbage point guards unless and until Fultz gets healthy and develops. Fans are watching Jayson Tatum blow up this year and Lonzo Ball player very well against them last night, while it remains a mystery what is happening with Fultz.

Just to recap, the Sixers traded away Nerlens Noel and now Okafor for garbage players. I don't see how such an organization survives long term. They have two legit superstars and a bunch of trash.

I won't be surprised to see Okafor turn into a very good player in Brooklyn. I do think he needed to grow up, but maybe he has now.

Reactions: Bkocats
I'm not saying he wasn't a good college player (he was), but it always seemed to me that a lot of his weaknesses could be hidden because of that reason.
No you make a good point
He also had a good squad around him

But, unlike KAT he’s simply not good enough to carry a team

Reactions: brianpoe and Mr_GG
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT