ADVERTISEMENT

Javonte Richardson

Grades?

we have a good core of young WRs. Love his size and upside but it's not a crippling blow, especially with Baker back next season.

I am sure one of the selling points to get kids to come to UK is playing time. When they get here and don't play they are not going to be happy. This also means that they were either not as good as billed or some of the other players coming in are exceeding expectations. Hopefully, it is the latter.

I dont think that has anything to do with this one, I could be wrong (usually am) but when a kid of his talent redshirts and then transfers immediately to a JUCO without looking for a new D1 home, that tells me he isn't transferring by choice, he didn't make the grades. No proof of course, but I would guarantee it

He didn’t even play. Hyperbole much?
He redshirted. Which doesn't mean that he can't play. He was also arguably our top recruit from the '17 class. Either he was a flat-out bust who couldn't hack it, which is bad, or he was a kid with the same potential that he had being ranked so high, and now he's gone. Either way, it's not good that he's gone.

Well, I have said it before and I am usually bashed for it, but UK has a lot of kids leave regardless of the reason and it is more than the normal number of kids who leave because your program is growing. Sure you can recruit to replace them, but I got to believe things like this can really stunt the programs growth

So we go into the spring unproven at QB, no depth at RB, young at WR, little depth on the D line and what we have is very young and that is before we see who bolts for the NFL, I am sorry gang, but color me concerned, depth shouldn't be an issue at this point,,, not in that many positions

It seems like we are going to have major issues at the WR position. Doesn’t look like a lot of depth and nobody that is really proven.

This is happening more and more, players red shirting and leaving before they play a down, either they know they can't crack the line up or something is wrong. This needs to be kept at a minimum, makes you wonder whats happening.

No we know why UK tried to develop several freshmen at WR, they will be needed quickly, lets hope they show up big in year 2

This is happening more and more, players red shirting and leaving before they play a down, either they know they can't crack the line up or something is wrong. This needs to be kept at a minimum, makes you wonder whats happening.

I know sometimes you take kids with major upside if he can qualify and if it helps your over all recruiting footprint, but we also need kids to stay and grow in the program and we have lost a lot over the last three or four years, hopefully Stoops gets the most out of what we got

Reactions: katwest
Four other freshmen played ahead of him. Looks like he came in behind and never caught up.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat888
There was a player several years ago that actually needed to be walked to classes by a "sitter" because he wasn't going to them. It was not a Stoops recruit.

Reactions: jauk11
When does school start? Looks like we're losing a "transfer a day" until school starts.

I'm guessing that part of the reason we got him to begin with is because we were more willing to take a chance on questionable academics than others & we RSed him to see how his schooling went & if not well, the RS didn't stop him from playing immediately at some other places.

I heard something recently to the effect the team GPA this past fall semester was pretty low. Hope we don’t have any more academic casualties.

Four other freshmen played ahead of him. Looks like he came in behind and never caught up.
Not sure what you mean "came in behind"? Was he in fact a late arrival to campus?

FWIW, while very highly regarded by Rivals (#114 overall, #4 ATH), his offer list (Bowling Green, IL, MI, Pitt, PU and Toledo) did not support that ranking. Academic uncertainty or just a "ranking error" by Rivals (and that does happen)?

I'm not 100% sure how this works (in the rule book it is referred to as a "4-2-4 transfer") but he may be thinking about a 1 year JUCO "career" then a transfer to another FBS school. JMO

Peace

Reactions: Real Deal 2
Starting to see more and more recruiting misses. Starting to reach the point where the bottom might fall out on the program. High attrition never works out. At schools like UK you really can't have high attrition rates on your best recruits.

Not sure what you mean "came in behind"? Was he in fact a late arrival to campus?

FWIW, while very highly regarded by Rivals (#114 overall, #4 ATH), his offer list (Bowling Green, IL, MI, Pitt, PU and Toledo) did not support that ranking. Academic uncertainty or just a "ranking error" by Rivals (and that does happen)?

I'm not 100% sure how this works (in the rule book it is referred to as a "4-2-4 transfer") but he may be thinking about a 1 year JUCO "career" then a transfer to another FBS school. JMO

Peace
I believe he's referring to grades. Sounds like he struggled at the start and it never improved.

I heard something recently to the effect the team GPA this past fall semester was pretty low. Hope we don’t have any more academic casualties.
This should never happen. Just follow the UNCAA path and offer bunny classes for athletes and then include a couple of regular students too so the athletes aren't receiving "extra benefits." Sounds like an easy loophole (even though schools like Georgia got hammered for doing much less).

This whole deal is going in the wrong direction. They needed to make some kind of change to stop the bleeding. I hope they have something up their sleeve in the next month. .if not, the skill players on this roster will be comparable to WKU.

Reactions: RonEJones

Peace
"Came in behind" meaning he wasn't ready to compete with others at his position. Was not a late arrival.

I think he chose UK because he wanted to be a WR. I think he RSed, because he was not as ready for the position as the others. I will not be surprised if he plays on defense at the Juco level.

Stoops has had very few academic casualties. Sometimes it's worth the risk.

Koback may have also been homesick, not to mention his mother's health.

Cross was never going to see the field.

Barker would have been a backup in his SR season and already has his degree.

None of these transfers are out of the ordinary and they are for differing reasons. This is not some locker room issue for these transfers.

It seems like we are going to have major issues at the WR position. Doesn’t look like a lot of depth and nobody that is really proven.
We have T Richardson, K Ross, I Epps, J Ali, C Thomas, and don't forget D Baker returns in 2018. Not as bleak as some may think.

So we go into the spring unproven at QB, no depth at RB, young at WR, little depth on the D line and what we have is very young and that is before we see who bolts for the NFL, I am sorry gang, but color me concerned, depth shouldn't be an issue at this point,,, not in that many positions
Don't worry Stoops had got this..part of the plan

Reactions: RonEJones

Peace
I've slept since then so memory may be foggy but I thought I saw where he was behind others in preperation(playbook) and conditioning. Guess he never caught up.

ADVERTISEMENT