ADVERTISEMENT

JaVonte Richardson w/ Stoops, Marrow & AJ Rose

I think Rose is much bigger than White and somewhat faster but I always enjoyed watching White play. Like the poster above he was just smooth.

Reactions: law1127
Very happy that Richardson did what he needed to do and came back. Look forward to seeing him in action this fall.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
Good to have a couple of big receivers but fast ones are most important. Getting separation was an issue this year. Speed and hands.

Rose and Smoke going to be a nice duo in Backfield next year.

Don't leave out Rodreguiz (sp?), he looked good too. RB is not a problem position, and it's not certain that Benny will declare. If not projected to go in the 1st round, it may be in his best interest to come back like JA and gain some more national pub = move up the draft ladder for the big $$$$$$$.

Reactions: willievic
Don't leave out Rodreguiz (sp?), he looked good too. RB is not a problem position, and it's not certain that Benny will declare. If not projected to go in the 1st round, it may be in his best interest to come back like JA and gain some more national pub = move up the draft ladder for the big $$$$$$$.
Benny coming back will not help his draft status. RB only have so many carries in them if Benny is projected to be drafted at all he will go.

Reactions: The-Hack
Benny coming back will not help his draft status. RB only have so many carries in them if Benny is projected to be drafted at all he will go.

Yeah I agree, Benny was beat up more badly this year then last and a RB's body doesn't last forever. If he can stay healthy with this time off and be fresh for the bowl game, I think he will be gone for sure.

Reactions: The-Hack
Josh Allen never told me he was gone. ;)

Hopefully he is smart enough to see where he is projected prior to making a final decision. We've seen a few guys make poor decisions in the past. We have plenty of quality RB's, so it is not critical for the team. It is more about what is best for "him" and his future. OK for him to be selfish at this point.

I know most of us thought Boom Williams would have been a great pro, yet we know he was playing in Canada season. Not sure if another year would have helped his development, but at a minimum, it may have moved him into a draft position versus free agency.....Not an expert on the subject, just of the opinion that Benny has much to gain by staying another year at UK, just like Josh Allen did, with his stock skyrocketing. The table is set for Benny in 2019 to take a similar step upward - maybe first rounder? If so, that is a big deal financially.

He should probably ask himself, can I get stronger in another year? Can I get faster? Can I be All-SEC? Can I be an All-American? If yes, I think he's got plenty of good things to consider.

Hopefully he is smart enough to see where he is projected prior to making a final decision. We've seen a few guys make poor decisions in the past. We have plenty of quality RB's, so it is not critical for the team. It is more about what is best for "him" and his future. OK for him to be selfish at this point.

I know most of us thought Boom Williams would have been a great pro, yet we know he was playing in Canada season. Not sure if another year would have helped his development, but at a minimum, it may have moved him into a draft position versus free agency.....Not an expert on the subject, just of the opinion that Benny has much to gain by staying another year at UK, just like Josh Allen did, with his stock skyrocketing. The table is set for Benny in 2019 to take a similar step upward - maybe first rounder? If so, that is a big deal financially.
The only thing Benny lacks is top end speed. He's not going to get that by coming back another year. Benny is a system RB. If he gets in a good system like Mark Ingram he can flourish

I just don’t see Benny improving his stock, unless he came back and caught 25(+) passes, or shaved .2 off his 40.

Our system is not too inclined toward targeting the back with passes, and he’s been in an elite training program for 3 years. There will be no speed improvement worth noting.

Back is an odd position, where some think a 4th year of physical punishment is a negative. The thinking is that a back has X amount of hits he can take in a career, and a 4th year of college eats into the number.

Benny will make the wise choice, and is receiving the right advice from his coaches.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
I just don’t see Benny improving his stock, unless he came back and caught 25(+) passes, or shaved .2 off his 40.

Our system is not too inclined toward targeting the back with passes, and he’s been in an elite training program for 3 years. There will be no speed improvement worth noting.

Back is an odd position, where some think a 4th year of physical punishment is a negative. The thinking is that a back has X amount of hits he can take in a career, and a 4th year of college eats into the number.

Benny will make the wise choice, and is receiving the right advice from his coaches.
It's pointless to target the backs without having a good vertical game. I think Gran would like to target those guys but the qb has to be able to make more than one read lol. No knock on Terry but he's got some things to work on.

No knock on Terry but he's got some things to work on.

The best thing about Sophomore QB’s is they become Junior QB’s.

Frankly, Rose looked pretty comfortable catching the ball, and was targeted more than Benny, in limited snaps.

Reactions: UKCatnNC

Frankly, Rose looked pretty comfortable catching the ball, and was targeted more than Benny, in limited snaps.
Rose to me is built like a wr. Rose best suited for a spread offense.

I find it odd that a DE or LB can improve from year to year, yet a RB can't - really? I disagree with most everything you put forth. I don't believe in the "X" amount of hits paradigm. Number of concussions, yes, number of hits, no.

Benny is young, and men physically mature early in their 20's. I can see Benny getting stronger in all measures. I also believe his "quickness" could improve through some professional input. I think it would behoove him to become a bit quicker before going to the next level, and that is surely possible through some dedication and hard work. It is my guess that his "speed" will be the big question for him at the next level. Look at Boom, he was fast, and it was not enough. Many intangibles in the pro game. If you'll note in Benny's physique, he's not quite as defined as others, so there is a bit of lean mass that could be achieved, which likely could allow him to pick up a step. That would be huge for him. Look at AJ Rose's motor and you can see what speed can do. In the end, AJ may have a better pro career. He just needs to keep working and his time will come soon.

Benny's toughness is unquestioned, but he could surely improve many of the nuances in his game, which it turn could move him from a mid-round pick to a 1st rounder. He could improve his pass catching abilities over a season of practice. Heck, maybe gran will add that pass to the arsenal? IMHO, if a first round pick is achievable, the athlete should go for it. It seems the risk is worth the potential reward, given an athlete can guarantee his retirement with one fell swipe of a pen. Mr. Snell needs to be smart here. The UK and SEC records he would set next year alone would bring him an immense amount of national publicity. With our returning offense, I think his numbers could be the best of his career.....L E G A C Y.

Last edited:
It's pointless to target the backs without having a good vertical game. I think Gran would like to target those guys but the qb has to be able to make more than one read lol. No knock on Terry but he's got some things to work on.

We all may have had too high expectations for Terry, especially when you read where he's been and his travels that brought him here. On and off most of the season showed he still wasn't getting it but the last few games, especially the ul game showed how good he could be.

We all may have had too high expectations for Terry, especially when you read where he's been and his travels that brought him here. On and off most of the season showed he still wasn't getting it but the last few games, especially the ul game showed how good he could be.
I agree the upside is there but I truly hope we bring in somebody who can push him are take the job. We need to score more next year if it's him making a leap great but I don't think I feel real confident he can carry a Mediocre defense.

I agree the upside is there but I truly hope we bring in somebody who can push him are take the job. We need to score more next year if it's him making a leap great but I don't think I feel real confident he can carry a Mediocre defense.

Well reality is this, he isn’t there yet so he shouldn’t have to be pushed much.

I find it odd that a DE or LB can improve from year to year, yet a RB can't - really? I disagree with most everything you put forth. I don't believe in the "X" amount of hits paradigm. Number of concussions, yes, number of hits, no.

Benny is young, and men physically mature early in their 20's. I can see Benny getting stronger in all measures. I also believe his "quickness" could improve through some professional input. I think it would behoove him to become a bit quicker before going to the next level, and that is surely possible through some dedication and hard work. It is my guess that his "speed" will be the big question for him at the next level. Look at Boom, he was fast, and it was not enough. Many intangibles in the pro game. If you'll note in Benny's physique, he's not quite as defined as others, so there is a bit of lean mass that could be achieved, which likely could allow him to pick up a step. That would be huge for him. Look at AJ Rose's motor and you can see what speed can do. In the end, AJ may have a better pro career. He just needs to keep working and his time will come soon.

Benny's toughness is unquestioned, but he could surely improve many of the nuances in his game, which it turn could move him from a mid-round pick to a 1st rounder. He could improve his pass catching abilities over a season of practice. Heck, maybe gran will add that pass to the arsenal? IMHO, if a first round pick is achievable, the athlete should go for it. It seems the risk is worth the potential reward, given an athlete can guarantee his retirement with one fell swipe of a pen. Mr. Snell needs to be smart here. The UK and SEC records he would set next year alone would bring him an immense amount of national publicity. With our returning offense, I think his numbers could be the best of his career.....L E G A C Y.

Third round contracts are still worth more than most of us make in a decade, and more than some of us make in a lifetime. As much as I would love to see Benny come back for my own selfish reasons, I also feel like he’s shown the ceiling of his game at this level. Breakaway speed is not something you can train in one offseason, and I’m not sure I want to see him lined up as a receiver on too many snaps just so he can prove that part of his game. As others have said, he’s getting good advice and will make the right decision. I’m 95% certain that decision will be to go pro.

Third round contracts are still worth more than most of us make in a decade, and more than some of us make in a lifetime. As much as I would love to see Benny come back for my own selfish reasons, I also feel like he’s shown the ceiling of his game at this level. Breakaway speed is not something you can train in one offseason, and I’m not sure I want to see him lined up as a receiver on too many snaps just so he can prove that part of his game. As others have said, he’s getting good advice and will make the right decision. I’m 95% certain that decision will be to go pro.

No mention of him gaining "break away" speed, as we know that is not a possibility. What he can do, is work to maximize his gifts, which are surely not at a maximum right now. Believe it or not, we've still not seen the BEST Benny there can be. He can be more. There are many nuances of the game that he can improve upon, thus moving himself UP the draft board.....Third round money, if he even gets that, is NOT close to 1st round money. The signing bonuses alone are a lifetime retirement guarantee.........He does not have to line up wide, to improve his pass catching skill set. Given that UK does not utilize this aspect of the game, he can at least improve his pass catching ability via purposeful practice of that skill. His current pass catching abilities will surely be a consideration by the pro scouts, and thus, will slide him down the rankings in comparison to more complete backs, not up.

I'm not lobbying for him to stay for this team. We've got plenty of quality backs right now, and should be in excellent shape for 2019. Having said that, from what I see from him on the field, and how that applies to the next level, and from where they say his may go in the draft, it would seem that he can "improve" his game and thus, move himself into position for a better draft spot, and potentially a longer pro career. If I were him, I would do a study of how similar style running backs in the SEC have fared in the draft and their pro careers. What were they good at, what were their shortcomings? How long did they last? Are my skills more diverse? Less? Lots to think about beyond I'm a very good RB and I've set a lot of UK records. That is a non-factor in his next career move. I hope he is getting independent pro evaluations, meaning those that specialize in assessing skills and how they translate to the NFL.

I am eager to see what he does and how it pans out for him. I admire Josh Allen for making a hard, but correct decision in coming back and improving. It does not always work out like that, but I think his commitment and drive to be great were the difference for him. Smart young man that is a great role model for fellow UK athletes. Perhaps Benny follows his lead?

I'm not going to change anyone's mind obviously. That said, Josh Allen does not equal Benny Snell. Different positions, different circumstances, different physical attributes, different pro requirements and expectations.

Josh was smart and made himself some money as he wasn't ready for the league as a Junior.

If Benny comes back it would be the dumbest career move he could make.

Being discussed on our board about Holyfield staying or returning. This year is a fairly weak year for RB while next year looks to be a big RB year. Guys that aren't considered complete everyone backs may go lower if they come back. The expectations are Holyfield goes and one more may transfer to get more touches, so we are hoping for 2 backs in this class.

I'm not going to change anyone's mind obviously. That said, Josh Allen does not equal Benny Snell. Different positions, different circumstances, different physical attributes, different pro requirements and expectations.

Josh was smart and made himself some money as he wasn't ready for the league as a Junior.

If Benny comes back it would be the dumbest career move he could make.

Yeah, just like Sony Michel and Nick Chubb. I hear ya.

Well that does it. Benny just needs to go pro, lol. He's got no chance of improving his draft status or his skill set in coming back ; )

Does that aluminum foil wrap give you special powers? The "<, >" stuff is absolutely debateable. Hell, he doesn't even have a solid assessment of when he would go yet - it's all guesses right now (2nd or 3rd rd is the latest guess). It's not known who and how many RB's are entering the draft. THE dumbest move he could make is to not make a full and informed assessment of his draft status. NFL player analysts (whom themselves don't know when he will go) should be his primary source of information, as they have access to the best information. Players move up and down the draft board every year, so even with the research, still nothing is a given.

Best of luck to him.

Yeah, just like Sony Michel and Nick Chubb. I hear ya.

Well that does it. Benny just needs to go pro, lol. He's got no chance of improving his draft status or his skill set in coming back ; )

Does that aluminum foil wrap give you special powers? The "<, >" stuff is absolutely debateable. Hell, he doesn't even have a solid assessment of when he would go yet - it's all guesses right now (2nd or 3rd rd is the latest guess). It's not known who and how many RB's are entering the draft. THE dumbest move he could make is to not make a full and informed assessment of his draft status. NFL player analysts (whom themselves don't know when he will go) should be his primary source of information, as they have access to the best information. Players move up and down the draft board every year, so even with the research, still nothing is a given.

Best of luck to him.

Per Stoops at his presser today.

* Benny Snell told the team about his decision today, even though they all probably already realized it, Stoops said. For RBs, you gotta make that decision now, Stoops said. Totally different from Josh Allen’s decision last year.

Rose has the rare ability to catch in stride full speed and keep going. Most Rbs struggle with this, and a RB one on one with a MLB would make for the biggest mismatch on the field even if it's only on a little 2-4 yd out, if he's got a step on the defender and catches in stride he can turn that up for a major chunk of yardage. This helps both the run and pass game tremendously if you've got a RB who is a receiving threat. It puts the run d on their heels because if they sell out he's wide open. Also, having to truly account for the RB as a receiver will bring the safety up on occasion to guard him and give your outside guy a one on one.

This is something I thought we really should've exploited this year, and I hope we do next year. Defenses are still having tons of trouble scheming against a RB that can catch as well, not to mention we will have Terry who is a run threat himself. It would make for hell on the opposing dc during film because there are just so many different things that can be done out of a just a few base looks. This puts pressure on the defense to contain everyone that's a threat, they'll eventually lose track of someone and we take advantage. Constant pressure on a defense like that really takes it's tollnover the course of a game.

Reactions: Mashburned
ADVERTISEMENT