ADVERTISEMENT

Jarren Williams de commits

Not surprised AT ALL. Commitment doesn't mean a thing
In this day of college sports recruitment it is a: Misnomer

noun: misnomer; plural noun: misnomers
  1. a wrong or inaccurate name or designation.
Commitment by def is:
noun: commitment; plural noun: commitments
  1. 1.the state or quality of being dedicated to a cause, activity, etc.
    "the company's commitment to quality"
    synonyms: dedication, devotion, allegiance, loyalty, faithfulness, fidelity
    "her commitment to her students"
  2. 2.
    an engagement or obligation that restricts freedom of action.
    "business commitments"
Commitments are fluff in college recruitments.

We have two things working against us:

1. Williams is getting a ton of attention from big name programs. That kind of allure can be powerful to a kid.
  2. We are stacked at QB. Day one he'll have Clark, Hoak, and Barker in front of him. If Clark turns out to be the real deal, Williams is looking at pine for three years before meaningful playing time. I know that top flight recruits aren't supposed to be afraid of competition, but that much depth would give even the most confident player (especially a QB, since only one can be on the field at at time) pause for concern.
You say that but watch him go to a big program log jammed with 5 star QBs

Well, looks like Hinshaw has some more work to do, in one way or another. Can't lose your mind over it. He's been getting attention from every direction. Keep communications open, look elsewhere, see what happens. Right?
Yes, agree. Mac Jones decommitted relatively late, so we were lucky to get Danny Clark. Jarren is decommitting very early, so Coach Hinshaw has plenty of time to recruit another quarterback. Stoops already has 3 freshman quarterbacks on scholarship, and he didn't stop recruiting quarterbacks after Jarren's verbal. I am a fan of Clark's skills and size, but the next couple of seasons probably belong to Johnson, Barker, Hoak. We are fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: getcha pull
Doyle looks like a suitable replacement. I had hoped for months the staff had a handful of contingencies in place. This decommitment was about as eminent as I can remember.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babysluggo
This is where an early signing period can be used to our advantage. On the other hand, if he doesn't want to come here at the end of the day then he's just another young guy who should keep his mouth shut for his own good. It's like you ask the pretty girl to the Prom weeks in advance, you rent your tux, drop a few lbs to look better, clear up your acne, detailed Dad's Buick for the big night on the town then this bitch decides to go at the last minute with the captain of the football team. Long story short, he's a bitch.

We are loaded at QB for the next 3-4 years. A QB recruit of Williams stature is willing to sit at FSU or Bama for 2 years, but not at UK.

If he feels like he can play early here, he'll re-commit, if not he'll go somewhere he can start early or sit and start late at a blue blood.

JMHO

You think there is a chance he recommits? Uh, seriously? Bless your heart.

Time for the rest of us to move on and get a good QB in this class. Decommits don't recommit.

I just don't like when they say they prayed about backing out of their commitment. Seems odd.

Yea, when I hear that I tend to think that's someone looking for a crutch to justify doing something that they know may not be viewed by some as the right thing to do. I mean seriously can anyone be so naive to think God is interested in making recruiting decisions for student athletes?

RP%20KEVIN%20SOYLE%20UK%20JER%20EDIT.jpg

Reactions: _Edgehollow_
There's only a couple of acceptable circumstances where I don't think you can criticize a player for decommitting. One is if there is a coaching change and the other is if the school in involved in some type of trouble i.e. probation. Leading a school on until a supposed better offer comes along shows a total lack of class and character imo. It shows your word is meaningless. I just don't see why these players committ if they aren't sure or completely happy with the school they've picked. If my memory is correct I don't even think the UK staff tried to pressure him into an early commitment at all. Especially since it was coming off the heels of the Mac Jones decommitment.

There's only a couple of acceptable circumstances where I don't think you can criticize a player for decommitting. One is if there is a coaching change and the other is if the school in involved in some type of trouble i.e. probation. Leading a school on until a supposed better offer comes along shows a total lack of class and character imo. It shows your word is meaningless. I just don't see why these players committ if they aren't sure or completely happy with the school they've picked. If my memory is correct I don't even think the UK staff tried to pressure him into an early commitment at all. Especially since it was coming off the heels of the Mac Jones decommitment.
I don't necessarily disagree with this but UK basketball swoops in late on players and gets them. Just the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Losing this kid is a big deal. Whether he will be successful or not we won't know for years, but he's being recruited by all the big boys who see something. Quarterback is the most important position and especially at a school like Kentucky. Look at what Jackson did for Louisville or look at how LSU has struggled recently at quarterback. got to start getting some of these kids.

I don't necessarily disagree with this but UK basketball swoops in late on players and gets them. Just the nature of the beast unfortunately.
In basketball we get our fair share of top players for sure but basketball isn't really like football recruiting for the most part. Decommitments aren't very rampant like they are in football. I know SKJ decommitted from UVA before we got him and that's the only one I can think of off hand. You could probably add in Baker but he only decommitted after Cuonzo took the Mizzou job.

In basketball we get our fair share of top players for sure but basketball isn't really like football recruiting for the most part. Decommitments aren't very rampant like they are in football. I know SKJ decommitted from UVA before we got him and that's the only one I can think of off hand. You could probably add in Baker but he only decommitted after Cuonzo took the Mizzou job.
UK just isn't on the top of the food chain in football. But it seems Stoops is turning the corner, and when you recruit against the big boys, there are going to be some brutal moments.

Losing this kid is a big deal. Whether he will be successful or not we won't know for years, but he's being recruited by all the big boys who see something. Quarterback is the most important position and especially at a school like Kentucky. Look at what Jackson did for Louisville or look at how LSU has struggled recently at quarterback. got to start getting some of these kids.
QB is the most important position but the point is that there are about 100 QBs like him. If he's the overall #1 player in the country like Couch was then he is a must get. This guy isn't. He's at the level of Towles, Barker or for that matter Morgan Newton. He has the ability to develop but it's gambler's luck as to whether or not he will.

To further that point you mentioned what Jackson did for UL. Do you know where Jackson was rated coming out of high school compared to Drew Barker? Williams has the talent to be a good QB but he's not a one in a million QB. I think someone already mentioned that he's only the 4th best QB in his home state. UK will get someone around that level. It's time to move on.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Kids take the early commitment to seemingly give themselves a floor and lock it in, or maybe they don't realize their attractiveness to the bigger programs. Stoops takes the commitment because he can attempt to grow the relationship in prep for attacks and it should help recruiting. It seems to generally work on other player positions. Not so much on QBs.

I don't know what would have happened had Koback not been hurt and continued on his early senior pace. Would he have stuck if Utban and Saban offered? He seems like a really good smart kid, but if he was recruited like a 4-5 star ...?

My second favorite SEC team I'm reading has not offered this Georgian a scholarship! Tells me something!
Really liked Gunners Spring game. Now if Drew can come back hale and hardy I think CATS qb. position is a plus. Stephens is a 100% gamer and is the player to beat out as the starter. At least on paper the UK qb. position is in best shape it's been for many years!

Reactions: jauk11
I love Jarren Williams talent - he will be good anywhere he goes - with all the offers pouring in , I thought his decommit would be coming soon and we may still land him but doubtful - he came to the spring game and Seen Gunner Hoak look like a star - Danny Clark with a bullet for a arm and we still have Barker - we will be fine - I love HOAK and CLARK

Reactions: jauk11
Unfortunately that's not the only issue. UK has once again lost a top prospect from the deep south, an important recruiting area. Could carry over in the future.

In the "deep South", the football South to which you are referring, UK might as well be on the northern shore of Lake Michigan.

Like it or not that is the perception among many recruits and parents. Dog sleds, snows every day and basketball rules.

Reactions: mrschwump
Unless it's an instate recruit, I don't let myself get to excited about early commitments. It's like my 7 yo grandson going through Mcd drive thru, papaw, I want chicken nuggets, pull up to the speaker, papaw, get me a cheeseburger.

In the "deep South", the football South to which you are referring, UK might as well be on the northern shore of Lake Michigan.

Like it or not that is the perception among many recruits and parents. Dog sleds, snows every day and basketball rules.

True that. Unfortunately we bring it upon ourselves. Look no further than the awards show done last night and I have no problem with student-athletes being recognized for good seasons/community deeds(but could we come up with something other than Catspys? Cheap ripoff of ESPN.) But have an event such as last night's...and Benny Snell gets shut out? REALLY? That'll look good on the recruiting trail.

Surprised they didn't give Diallo an award for Most Ghostlike Figure.

I think he ends up @ FSU as a Seminole......but WE ARE SOLID AT QB FOR SEVERAL YEARS

We really don't know what we have a QB right now. Johnson graduates and we have Barker whose physical status is still questionable, and 3 guys that have yet to play their first snap of college football. I know these guys look great on paper and in practice, especially Hoak, but the truth is many QBs that look great at this point never pan out, which is why we need at least one QB in every class.

We really don't know what we have a QB right now. Johnson graduates and we have Barker whose physical status is still questionable, and 3 guys that have yet to play their first snap of college football. I know these guys look great on paper and in practice, especially Hoak, but the truth is many QBs that look great at this point never pan out, which is why we need at least one QB in every class.
Well, I'm pretty sure Hinshaw and Gran know a helluva lot more than me and they seem to have a lot of faith in Gunnar Hoak...and think Danny Clark will expand the offense with teaching. And Freddie Maggard LOVES HIM SOME HOAK...and he's been pretty spot on....so I feel safe in not worrying and letting them Coach these kids up.....I do find it a little weird that they are recrting Pro Style QB to replace the J Will spot - this tells me they will make the QB safe and smart with a run 1st oriented to set up Play action and roll outs....

Well, I'm pretty sure Hinshaw and Gran know a helluva lot more than me and they seem to have a lot of faith in Gunnar Hoak...and think Danny Clark will expand the offense with teaching. And Freddie Maggard LOVES HIM SOME HOAK...and he's been pretty spot on....so I feel safe in not worrying and letting them Coach these kids up.....I do find it a little weird that they are recrting Pro Style QB to replace the J Will spot - this tells me they will make the QB safe and smart with a run 1st oriented to set up Play action and roll outs....
Jarran Williams while athletic only rushed for 400 yards. Not exactly a dual threat number. Hinshaw looks for a certain motion on throws mobility is a bonus.

The ironic part is Jones decommitted at about the same time last year. Right after the spring game.

Jarran Williams while athletic only rushed for 400 yards. Not exactly a dual threat number. Hinshaw looks for a certain motion on throws mobility is a bonus.
did not say he was a Running QB just that he is not the typical Pocket Style - Williams is listed as "dual threat" on 247 http://247sports.com/Player/Jarren-Williams-89426 and Rivals https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/168700 - this new kid Doyle http://247sports.com/Player/Kevin-Doyle-84688

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1870 is not listed as a Dual Threat....so I went with that as the "style" Hinshaw went with after de-commit of Williams

only time I mentioned run was "run oriented offense 1st" - not inferring running QB

we all hate losing a recruit
but with what we have in the stalls waiting at QB, this is one area that we could afford to lose a commit
i think we will be great at the QB spot for a few years

I can't wait until the early signing starts. I'm tired of "big time" programs feeding off our f****ing staff.

Reactions: BigBoyBlueMMA
ADVERTISEMENT