ADVERTISEMENT

James Wiseman information

Welp, I don't really buy into these kinds of threads. No offense to OP. It's definitely not personal and you are definitely not the first one to do it.

I will say this, if all Penny can throe at Cal and UK is Skal, then they ain't got much.

Can anyone name the last Memphis player to get drafted?
Will Barton second round pick!

Why Skal? He's an NBA player who still has enough time to work on his game to get a second NBA contract. His team option is for 2019-2020.

I mean... If Penny-phis want to detract Wiseman from UK, then why not bring up someone like SKJ? (Not saying they are similar) I LOVE me some SKJ. He was a McDonald's All-American (used to be a guard), liked to play inside and out, but things didn't work quite work for him.

http://ukrecruiting.bloginky.com/sacha-killeya-jones/

“When we learned about Sacha and were contacted about him having an interest in us, I asked him why Kentucky?” Calipari said when Killeya-Jones signed with the school. “His answer was, ‘Because you’ve coached players like me who have had growth spurts and all of those players have done well for you.’ You’re talking about a skilled player who can block shots. He can play multiple positions and fits in with the mold of kids we have, which are great kids, great students and great teammates.”

“Give him two years in college, and he’s going to be outstanding. And I guess he doesn’t come across as a one-and-done … but it wouldn’t surprise me if he were one-and-done.”
– 247Sports.com’s Jerry Meyer ( o_O )

Jmo. I don't have an opinion either way on where Wiseman will play. Just think comparing Wiseman and Skal was kinda goofy.

I spoke with a guy this morning who's working with the Memphis coaching staff (former player) and he made a few comments that I thought maybe people would like to know.

He said Penny is using Skal as ammo against Calipari and also saying Kentuxky will have a bunch of returnees that James would have to battle through. He also told me (which I already knew and said so before KSR reported similar) that we were prepared to offer Penny the assistant coaching position...which is why Memphis made their move. Penny and his coaching staff are playing dirty, I've heard this from more than one person connected to the staff.

I've known this guy for years. He's a friend of the family and actually likes Cal and Kentucky. He left me with a message to BBN....(I told him I was going to post this and all he asks is I don't use his name.) Maybe I'll throw his initials out there down the thread.

"Today's bluegrass is tomorrow's horse shit"

Anyway, thought some of you might like to know.
Interesting post, but I think everyone who understands college basketball recruiting expected all of it. For Penny Hardaway, James Wiseman is the difference between getting off to a reasonably decent start in Memphis vs. hitting the jackpot right out of the gate.

The Skal angle is to be expected because Skal is from Memphis. But Wiseman is from Nashville. Calipari is countering by comparing Wiseman to Anthony Davis, which is a better comp, and a compliment to Wiseman. Hardaway has no answer to the Davis comp, but it is incumbent on Wiseman to understand that.

When all is said and done, this is a test for Wiseman. Memphis is the path of least resistance, but UK is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Penny Hardaway has never developed an NBA player. So the choice will say a lot about Wiseman's ambition and awareness. Hopefully his mother is pushing him to do what is best for himself. It sounds like she is. I have said all along that Wiseman will choose UK, and I haven't seen anything happen to change my mind.

I think some of you are missing what the Skal dirt is used for. Skal played in Memphis and top players out of Memphis are all sort of connected through different people. Wiseman watched Skal because he was a top 5 guy from his city.

The problem with what you're saying is that Wiseman was 10-11 years old when Skal played in Memphis. That's like a life time ago to a kid and seriously if all that meant so much this recruitment would have been over a long time ago.

The problem with what you're saying is that Wiseman was 10-11 years old when Skal played in Memphis. That's like a life time ago to a kid and seriously if all that meant so much this recruitment would have been over a long time ago.

It's not just him. It's the people around him.

Goodness.

I spoke with a guy this morning who's working with the Memphis coaching staff (former player) and he made a few comments that I thought maybe people would like to know.

He said Penny is using Skal as ammo against Calipari and also saying Kentuxky will have a bunch of returnees that James would have to battle through. He also told me (which I already knew and said so before KSR reported similar) that we were prepared to offer Penny the assistant coaching position...which is why Memphis made their move. Penny and his coaching staff are playing dirty, I've heard this from more than one person connected to the staff.

I've known this guy for years. He's a friend of the family and actually likes Cal and Kentucky. He left me with a message to BBN....(I told him I was going to post this and all he asks is I don't use his name.) Maybe I'll throw his initials out there down the thread.

Cool.story, Marc Maggard Jr.

Cool.story, Marc Maggard Jr.
Leave .S&C. alone, he really wants to be someone and really wants you to think he's plugged in to Memphis basketball scene like that time he swore up and down that Skal wouldn't be eligible and everyone in Memphis knew it.

Leave .S&C. alone, he really wants to be someone and really wants you to think he's plugged in to Memphis basketball scene like that time he swore up and down that Skal wouldn't be eligible and everyone in Memphis knew it.

I'm not plugged into anything and never claimed to be inside. I know some guys that know the staff and I know a few AAU guys from my time coaching. That's it.

Well and a few guys I went to school with who are close to the program in different ways.

I said Skal was overrated before it was popular, I never said he wouldn't qualify. I might have thought he had a shot at not qualifying, but I don't remember thinking it was impossible.

I don't know who S&C is.

Last edited:
I'm not plugged into anything and never claimed to be inside. I know some guys that know the staff and I know a few AAU guys from my time coaching. That's it.

I said Skal was overrated before it was popular, I never said he wouldn't qualify. I might have thought he had a shot at not qualifying, but I don't remember thinking it was impossible.

I don't know who S&C is.

It's comical. Words mean things but so many times the words are just, ......................................................Made up...

Reactions: morgousky
Well a few bad apples spoils the bunch. I typically wont even post what I've heard because of this very problem. People pick it apart and try and dissect every word to play gotcha. I gain nothing at all from even going there, so I'll just keep it to myself or post it on HOB in the recruiting threads. It's not like it's some earth shattering news.

Well a few bad apples spoils the bunch. I typically wont even post what I've heard because of this very problem. People pick it apart and try and dissect every word to play gotcha. I gain nothing at all from even going there, so I'll just keep it to myself or post it on HOB in the recruiting threads. It's not like it's some earth shattering news.

Do what you want to do. Don't let others dictate what you do. (They can't take care of their own lives much less guide yours.)

... I'll stop.

Last edited:

Penny was all set to join the UK staff. I remember getting blasted by people when it didn't happen. Barbee was going to be moving on.

Penny used Cal's offer as leverage to get the Memphis job.

Memphis is going to have to play dirty to win this one. If they win out on the Skal angle, then he wasn't ever going to UK. Davis, Towns, Cousin, enough said.

Momma loves UK coaches, but it's going to carry much weight on the decision. Most others want him in Memphis. Not sure you all know but Joel Justus is just as big of a recruiting advantage as Cal is in this one.

Will be interesting.

Dont worry worry about what the bottom feeders of catpaw say morg. Nobody listens to them anyway. You could of got that info straight from cal with him on tape saying it, and the worst of the worst on here would be trying to pick you apart

Reactions: westerncat

In all fairness you are the first to pick apart anyone who has inside info like from coachx11.
I believe what I read based on what I know. For example, what you wrote I find credible. I don’t see any reason you would make that up. Then again there were guys credible and directly involved with Zion who were shocked when he went to Duke. So even the most credible can be wrong. The Zion misdirection was a direct retaliation for Kevin Knox

In all fairness you are the first to pick apart anyone who has inside info like from coachx11.
I believe what I read based on what I know. For example, what you wrote I find credible. I don’t see any reason you would make that up. Then again there were guys credible and directly involved with Zion who were shocked when he went to Duke. So even the most credible can be wrong. The Zion misdirection was a direct retaliation for Kevin Knox

If he has, I haven't noticed and I sometimes, stalk Ole "Morg"...

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood

I never said coach didn't have info, I said form the sound of it he's getting things that wont direct you to a good conclusion. I said I thought he was probably telling the truth about coaching, I've just been through this enough to know surface news from depth.

Randolphfan seems to actually understand the ins and outs that I look for as flags for information.

I went to school in Memphis and played baseball... and I coached high school sports in memphis. I also helped out ( non assistant role) with an AAU basketball team out of Memphis for a few years. I know a lot of people that are connected to their programs, and in Memphis, people talk a lot. It's not as quiet as a program like UK. It's smaller.

For example, the information about Will Barton was dead eye because it came from a former beat writer who knows a lot of connected people.

And really, I posted this stupidly. There was no reason to do it. I'm not an insider never claimed to be, don't want to be seen as one. I think the whole situation is dumb and screams of guys that need attention. I don't need attention so I usually keep what I hear to myself.... most of the time UK is not even involved.

I happen to just be a little lucky, two of my uncles were high school AD's and went to UK, they know a lot of people around the UK program. I went to Memphis and met a lot of people, became friends with guys who went on to do some cool things, and they tell me some stuff.

It's really that simple.

Reactions: GG24 and westerncat

I haven’t heard details of “playing dirty”. I also don’t think wiseman is too susceptible to a pitch about battling for pt. That would be an odd approach.
Penny is, I believe, leveraging the local pressure for Memphis. And I think he is trying to chip away at cal being the go-to-guy for nba entry. I suspect he is pointing to some “failed” efforts- though that would be a reach. I’d imagine he is also touting his nba connections, experience and abilities to help make wiseman nba ready.

You could just like ... not post for several months then when you do post just condense multiple threads/ rumors found on this board into ONE single post and try to call it “inside info” lol...

I never said coach didn't have info, I said form the sound of it he's getting things that wont direct you to a good conclusion. I said I thought he was probably telling the truth about coaching, I've just been through this enough to know surface news from depth.

Randolphfan seems to actually understand the ins and outs that I look for as flags for information.

I went to school in Memphis and played baseball... and I coached high school sports in memphis. I also helped out ( non assistant role) with an AAU basketball team out of Memphis for a few years. I know a lot of people that are connected to their programs, and in Memphis, people talk a lot. It's not as quiet as a program like UK. It's smaller.

For example, the information about Will Barton was dead eye because it came from a former beat writer who knows a lot of connected people.

And really, I posted this stupidly. There was no reason to do it. I'm not an insider never claimed to be, don't want to be seen as one. I think the whole situation is dumb and screams of guys that need attention. I don't need attention so I usually keep what I hear to myself.... most of the time UK is not even involved.

I happen to just be a little lucky, two of my uncles were high school AD's and went to UK, they know a lot of people around the UK program. I went to Memphis and met a lot of people, became friends with guys who went on to do some cool things, and they tell me some stuff.

It's really that simple.

I'm not hating. You consider who posts, see if what he says makes sense, then form your own opinion. I found your post credible. One makes sense, 2. Dont see the need for you to make it up. At the end of the day I think Wiseman picks UK and I also think 2019 will end up as one of Cal's greatest ever. It's not like you are carlton bragg and have a huge drug addiction problem..

ADVERTISEMENT