ADVERTISEMENT

James Wiseman information

The latest info ( 3 weeks ago) I got from someone very close to the recruitment told my source it’s still KY. They might be playing my friend but I don’t think so.

Did anyone on here think this recruitment wouldn’t get dirty? Cal doesn’t play that game but his adversaries do. Penny needs this guy in order to establish himself quickly. I see Memphis as an Arkansas type program at best. Even though I’m told it’s UK, I wouldnt be surprised to see the negative recruiting eventually wear Wiseman and his family down. Guilt is a powerful persuader.

Does anyone know when he is supposed to decide?

LOL we aren't going to have almost anyone returning and none will be bigs most likely so that comment is very off base. Most likely the guys we have back are Herro, Baker , and maybe Quickley and or Green . That's it . Richards might come back but he could easily not . And Richards is a center while Wiseman is a PF . I am telling yall Wiseman won't make a choice this poor. Penny has never won a single game in college at this point and never put a player in the pros . All the important points are in our favor.

I still don't believe he used him wrong. He might have played away from some fo his strengths, but for Kentucky to be effective we needed Skal to block shots and rebound. Playing Skal away from the basket would have doomed UK for sure, eventually. Cal did what he was supposed to, put Kentucky in the best chance to win.
A lot of players have come to UK and Cal has not played to their strengths (there's only one ball) but I can't really think of anyone that lost any money because of it. College ball and pro ball are not the same game

Common sense says Wiseman to UK. Like it did for a year. But this recruitment isn’t built on common sense. It’s built on a long lasting relationship. I called this dating back to the summer of 2017 when I said Tubby would be fired (amid a decent year) and Memphis would hire Penny like many boosters wanted then when Tubby was initially hired. Wiseman is gonna pick Memphis and UK is gonna have to sign 2-4 guys ranked 10-30 in the PF/C ranks and miss signing another top 5 guy.

Good info,one has to expect Penny & Co. to do what they can to get recruits.He is new to the college coaching game and probably doesn't feel that he is part of what ever good ol' boy network that exists.If you mix that with what ever rules there are, what rules the NCAA is enforcing that particular day and Penny's understanding of said rules it is pretty much the wild west at Memphis(even more than usual)

It comes down to how smart Wiseman and his people are.They can come to UK and be assured that Cal will have him ready for the draft in a year and prepared to succeed as early as his talent level will allow.He can go to Memphis and roll the dice with how Penny handles the bright lights. Wiseman will make money in a year either way but as a business decision UK is the clear choice.

Skal wasn't ready for college basketball but he is in the NBA anyway partly because UK and Cal got him ready for the NBA.The process wasn't pretty to watch (if you are a UK fan first) but he got there.If Wiseman wants the big stage and bright lights for a year then UK it is,what does the kid want and how mature is his thought process on the matter.

Because it’s his only chance at landing Wiseman. Point at Skal, and trash Cal.

It really should be a no contest, family relationships or not. Kentucky is the the gold standard for getting kids to the league. Sure, there are other ways to do it. But Cal has proved over and over that UK is the most sure thing when you consider going to a school to have the best chance at playing in the league.

Penny has proved absolutely nothing. Cal has won and sent kids to the league at every stop, including Memphis. Pointing at one kid that still went in the first round is laughable to me, but whatever.

But I still feel like Wiseman will wind up at Memphis. Rumblings that one family member in the Wiseman camp is all in on Memphis. We typically lose that battle every time. But it’s whatever. We will still land a good class. If we win the title this year, I’m good for a year regardless. Even with that said, deep down inside of me, it does piss me off. Kentucky should never lose a kid they truly want to Memphis. But it looks like the stars aligned just right for Memphis on this one.
We have won a few of those battles where the family wants a kid somewhere but the kid wants to be at Kentucky . Harrison twins and Keldon Johnson. I might be forgetting some others .

I definitely think his relationship with Penny could keep him from coming here . I won’t be shocked either way .

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
Well, what’s dudes initials? Since you’re dying to do exactly what he told you not to do?

At UK, he will have the chance to go to a FF and win a title. At Memphis, he won't.

At UK, his games will all be on national television. At Memphis, they won't.

UK has a staff with a proven track record. Memphis does not.

At UK, he will play good competition in a strong conference every night to prepare him for the NBA. At Memphis, he won't.

At UK, he will spend a year in a nice college town. At Memphis, he will be in a big city with lots of distractions.

Ita pretty obvious what the smart decision would be.

So the question is does he follow his head or his heart?

I spoke with a guy this morning who's working with the Memphis coaching staff (former player) and he made a few comments that I thought maybe people would like to know.

He said Penny is using Skal as ammo against Calipari and also saying Kentuxky will have a bunch of returnees that James would have to battle through. He also told me (which I already knew and said so before KSR reported similar) that we were prepared to offer Penny the assistant coaching position...which is why Memphis made their move. Penny and his coaching staff are playing dirty, I've heard this from more than one person connected to the staff.

I've known this guy for years. He's a friend of the family and actually likes Cal and Kentucky. He left me with a message to BBN....(I told him I was going to post this and all he asks is I don't use his name.) Maybe I'll throw his initials out there down the thread.

"Today's bluegrass is tomorrow's horse shit"

Anyway, thought some of you might like to know.

Did he actually say if felt Wiseman was done for Memphis? That seems to be what Penny and some of his other coaches are pushing hard, so I'm curious what this particular coach thought.

The latest info ( 3 weeks ago) I got from someone very close to the recruitment told my source it’s still KY. They might be playing my friend but I don’t think so.

Did anyone on here think this recruitment wouldn’t get dirty? Cal doesn’t play that game but his adversaries do. Penny needs this guy in order to establish himself quickly. I see Memphis as an Arkansas type program at best. Even though I’m told it’s UK, I wouldnt be surprised to see the negative recruiting eventually wear Wiseman and his family down. Guilt is a powerful persuader.

Does anyone know when he is supposed to decide?

If the family is strong it seems, it will be UK. May not want the weak minded, though, you might want them...:cop:

At UK, he will have the chance to go to a FF and win a title. At Memphis, he won't.

At UK, his games will all be on national television. At Memphis, they won't.

UK has a staff with a proven track record. Memphis does not.

At UK, he will play good competition in a strong conference every night to prepare him for the NBA. At Memphis, he won't.

At UK, he will spend a year in a nice college town. At Memphis, he will be in a big city with lots of distractions.

Ita pretty obvious what the smart decision would be.

So the question is does he follow his head or his heart?

Will he?

The one thing James Wiseman needs more than anything is for someone to push him and make him consistently great.

Penny coached him for a year and didn't do that. Someone around him needs to point that out.

I also think that as close as James and the family are to Cal and Justus that negative recruiting might backfire. You can try and make the case for your school without attacking people the kid and his family know are solid.

Knowing Mike Miller would be cool. Certainly not that high up the food chain.

Who it is really isn't important. He's connected to the program and knows the staff. He is a former player and big supporter. Anyone under 40 probably hasn't heard of the guy but out of respect I'd just rather not.

I didn't ask him where Wiseman would go because no one knows where Wiseman will go. He was just telling me the UM staff is using Skal as ammo, I guess they think it's effective.

The one thing James Wiseman needs more than anything is for someone to push him and make him consistently great.

Penny coached him for a year and didn't do that. Someone around him needs to point that out.

I also think that as close as James and the family are to Cal and Justus that negative recruiting might backfire. You can try and make the case for your school without attacking people the kid and his family know are solid.

And that’s it. Maybe he doesn’t want to be pushed and is content with being a top 10 or so pick and coasting his way to millions.

If that’s the case, this isn’t the place for him. Doesn’t make him a bad person. Actually describes most of the NBA.

Knowing Mike Miller would be cool. Certainly not that high up the food chain.

Who it is really isn't important. He's connected to the program and knows the staff. He is a former player and big supporter. Anyone under 40 probably hasn't heard of the guy but out of respect I'd just rather not.

I didn't ask him where Wiseman would go because no one knows where Wiseman will go. He was just telling me the UM staff is using Skal as ammo, I guess they think it's effective.

Well it was just a guess.

If he goes to Memphis based on the skal case well that would mean that he’s another skal type imo and he wouldn’t be a good fit for what cal wants.

Reactions: morgousky
And that’s it. Maybe he doesn’t want to be pushed and is content with being a top 10 or so pick and coasting his way to millions.

If that’s the case, this isn’t the place for him. Doesn’t make him a bad person. Actually describes most of the NBA.

Absolutely. He can be a top 5-6 pick no matter what. If he wants to go 1 and get better and actually make it, he needs to be pushed.

We'll find out what kind of kid he is. I think he's smart and driven enough to look past what's easy and convenient. If he's not, his year here would be a nightmare for him and us.

Reactions: Aike
I think some of you are missing what the Skal dirt is used for. Skal played in Memphis and top players out of Memphis are all sort of connected through different people. Wiseman watched Skal because he was a top 5 guy from his city. Wiseman is a teenager who thinks he's an NBA all star so I completely understand why they're trying to go down that road. Then you have Cal saying (essentially) the reason Skal wasn't drafted higher is because he miss-used him. I don't know how much the family will bite on it, but I don't know why it's a shock to so many when it's pretty clear as to why he's doing it.

Also I don't assume these parents understand what we do. I think by now some of you would realize that most of these parents haven't been following college basketball inside and out the way you do. That's why some of these decisions don't make sense and we "call it early" while the parents walk into an oblivion.

Just because we understand this is a bunch of horse shT doesn't mean they do and I think it's pretty funny that Penny is just another in a long line of Cronin type douchebags that needs to lower himself to find a way.

Wiseman is from Nashville, TN. He's been in Memphis for 1+ years now and played with Hardaway after he left Bradley Beal team to join Team Penny. Skal Labissiere still ended up a 1st Round pick and Cal taking the fall had a lot to do with that, along with working hard to get Wenyen Gabriel a 2 way deal with Kings. He is loyal to his players.

Good thing about negative recruiting, is it's easy to counteract and when it's coming from a source who everyone knows was going to work for Cal, how negative can you get? I think the guy doesn't know what he's doing--so I was going to take an Assistant job with him??

Thing with Penny/Miller is they have pulled out all the stops now, and having a big Memphis booster courtside the past 2 weekends has made everyone laugh that is talking of "cleaning up the recruiting/AAU angle". They aren't even trying to hide it.

Wiseman taking an unofficial to Kentucky in August is going to be a very important in the recruitment. And for every 1 kid--a kid who btw was injured and poorly handled and played less then 15 actual games before entering CBB.....and would likely have never been selected or 2nd Rd at best if he went to Memphis instead of UK without the guaranteed $--Cal can have several speak to what he did for them/their games.

This pathetic narrative about "how poorly used" Knox and Gilgeous Alexander were at UK is laughable. I remember having BBN fans trash me when I shared that he would be starting for this team and was the best guard last Summer, and UK turned a guy who most thought was a lower tier recruit/less talented then his cousin who went to Va Tech...into a Lottery Pick that Jerry West coveted. UK played through him/Knox and Cal forced Knox to diversify his offensive game and not just jack up 3's from deep.

Everyone has weaknesses and stubborn points, but going after Cal when it comes to how he/UK develop players is pure open hatred as they do a helluva job and sacrifice personal coaching glory to help guys improve. Talk up the player/his work and not what they do/did for them too. Humble isn't liked in the world of self praise and patting one self on the back.

Everyone has weaknesses and stubborn points, but going after Cal when it comes to how he/UK develop players is pure open hatred as they do a helluva job and sacrifice personal coaching glory to help guys improve.
This.

Wiseman is from Nashville, TN. He's been in Memphis for 1+ years now and played with Hardaway after he left Bradley Beal team to join Team Penny. Skal Labissiere still ended up a 1st Round pick and Cal taking the fall had a lot to do with that, along with working hard to get Wenyen Gabriel a 2 way deal with Kings. He is loyal to his players.

Good thing about negative recruiting, is it's easy to counteract and when it's coming from a source who everyone knows was going to work for Cal, how negative can you get? I think the guy doesn't know what he's doing--so I was going to take an Assistant job with him??

Thing with Penny/Miller is they have pulled out all the stops now, and having a big Memphis booster courtside the past 2 weekends has made everyone laugh that is talking of "cleaning up the recruiting/AAU angle". They aren't even trying to hide it.

Wiseman taking an unofficial to Kentucky in August is going to be a very important in the recruitment. And for every 1 kid--a kid who btw was injured and poorly handled and played less then 15 actual games before entering CBB.....and would likely have never been selected or 2nd Rd at best if he went to Memphis instead of UK without the guaranteed $--Cal can have several speak to what he did for them/their games.

This pathetic narrative about "how poorly used" Knox and Gilgeous Alexander were at UK is laughable. I remember having BBN fans trash me when I shared that he would be starting for this team and was the best guard last Summer, and UK turned a guy who most thought was a lower tier recruit/less talented then his cousin who went to Va Tech...into a Lottery Pick that Jerry West coveted. UK played through him/Knox and Cal forced Knox to diversify his offensive game and not just jack up 3's from deep.

Everyone has weaknesses and stubborn points, but going after Cal when it comes to how he/UK develop players is pure open hatred as they do a helluva job and sacrifice personal coaching glory to help guys improve. Talk up the player/his work and not what they do/did for them too. Humble isn't liked in the world of self praise and patting one self on the back.

I was making a broader point about how the city of Memphis works. They know the guy in front of them, that's why it's being used.

Appreciate your insight.

Absolutely. He can be a top 5-6 pick no matter what. If he wants to go 1 and get better and actually make it, he needs to be pushed.

We'll find out what kind of kid he is. I think he's smart and driven enough to look past what's easy and convenient. If he's not, his year here would be a nightmare for him and us.

Not to mention some kids really are driven to win and it's not just all about money. I know it's hard to believe but they exist.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
If the worst you can throw at a coach is a current NBA player, you don't have much ammo.
giphy.gif

Reactions: JohnBlue_
Nah, working Skal away from the basket would have given us no chance. Cal said what he said because Skal was going into the draft so he took the blame for Skal not being ready (injury) and not very good. This isn't the NBA.

I can only imagine Skal taking 12 jump shots per game. We needed Skal to be something he couldn't be, but we tried and I still think it was the best approach at the time. Unless we could have somehow made Humphries be that guy, which wasn't going to happen.

We missed on assessing what Skal could be, the whole year was gone at that point. Nothing could have changed it.
I do think Skal would have been best utilized as a stretch four, but that team didn’t need a stretch four. And Cal had turned Davis and Towns from stretch fours in high school into the best centers in college and #1 picks. It made sense to try to take that road with Skal at the time. Who on earth would have thought that he at 7’ even wouldn’t even rebound as well as 6’3” Isaiah Briscoe?
I think some of you are missing what the Skal dirt is used for. Skal played in Memphis and top players out of Memphis are all sort of connected through different people. Wiseman watched Skal because he was a top 5 guy from his city. Wiseman is a teenager who thinks he's an NBA all star so I completely understand why they're trying to go down that road. Then you have Cal saying (essentially) the reason Skal wasn't drafted higher is because he miss-used him. I don't know how much the family will bite on it, but I don't know why it's a shock to so many when it's pretty clear as to why he's doing it.

Also I don't assume these parents understand what we do. I think by now some of you would realize that most of these parents haven't been following college basketball inside and out the way you do. That's why some of these decisions don't make sense and we "call it early" while the parents walk into an oblivion.

Just because we understand this is a bunch of horse shT doesn't mean they do and I think it's pretty funny that Penny is just another in a long line of Cronin type douchebags that needs to lower himself to find a way.
Penny’s in a unique situation. Zero real coaching experience (aau doesn’t count) and a realistic chance at landing the #1 player and solidifying his job for at least a few years if he does. So as pitiful as it is, you can’t blame Penny for pulling out all the stops in this battle.

Reactions: morgousky
I was making a broader point about how the city of Memphis works. They know the guy in front of them, that's why it's being used.

Appreciate your insight.

Understand that, but I'm sick of this narrative out there and laughed when Wiseman himself kind of made it clear when he just released his top 8 where he's actually from. lol

Think a few things are telling here. Bacot "interest" was lukewarm at best, think they liked him but know they are in on others and feel he knew this as well. That is a UNC/Duke battle with Heels leading.

Think UK staff making their presence at usual games while Cal spent most of week in Orlando (pretty certain that is where Oscar Tshiebwe was playing this week) after Cal made Kahlil Whitney a priority, and then came back to coach practice and see Dontaie Allen. When UK knows they are going to need sign a huge class, they tend to target core guys early, and then spend time aggressively chasing their top targets. Having Maxey and Jeffries in fold now, Whitney is close to pulling the trigger (hit a nice game winner last night to put Mac Irvin at 5-0 in Vegas Event they are in) and Allen is a kid who UK will see this week/decide what to do--but see him being a nice multi year player and fit. That allows them to really push hard to after major needs...and Tshiebwe is a Cal/UK type....I'd not be surprised to see them get seriously involved soon as Cal has seen him during year and in April as well, but saw him in Orlando along with investing time in seeing Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin Jr.

Wiseman is the guy they love...so they will be all in....and I just think in the end he goes with where he's always wanted to go and that's UK. We'll see, but pairing him with a warrior like Tshiebwe would be ideal.

St

You know your stuff. Man that was good!

Understand that, but I'm sick of this narrative out there and laughed when Wiseman himself kind of made it clear when he just released his top 8 where he's actually from. lol

Think a few things are telling here. Bacot "interest" was lukewarm at best, think they liked him but know they are in on others and feel he knew this as well. That is a UNC/Duke battle with Heels leading.

Think UK staff making their presence at usual games while Cal spent most of week in Orlando (pretty certain that is where Oscar Tshiebwe was playing this week) after Cal made Kahlil Whitney a priority, and then came back to coach practice and see Dontaie Allen. When UK knows they are going to need sign a huge class, they tend to target core guys early, and then spend time aggressively chasing their top targets. Having Maxey and Jeffries in fold now, Whitney is close to pulling the trigger (hit a nice game winner last night to put Mac Irvin at 5-0 in Vegas Event they are in) and Allen is a kid who UK will see this week/decide what to do--but see him being a nice multi year player and fit. That allows them to really push hard to after major needs...and Tshiebwe is a Cal/UK type....I'd not be surprised to see them get seriously involved soon as Cal has seen him during year and in April as well, but saw him in Orlando along with investing time in seeing Jalen Johnson and Patrick Baldwin Jr.

Wiseman is the guy they love...so they will be all in....and I just think in the end he goes with where he's always wanted to go and that's UK. We'll see, but pairing him with a warrior like Tshiebwe would be ideal.

Wiseman is not a Memphian. But at this stage of his situation he might as well be, he's having the same experience as a guy that played 4 years there. Or it seems like it. Because of the Penny connection....it's what it is. But I know what you're getting at.

I personally don't know where he'll end up and I really don't have "sources" into much. You can't go on what Memphis people say in terms of predictions because they apply so much pressure even they start believing their own BS.

Also I think Wiseman is picking between 2 schools, not 8.

If Wiseman is the puss that Skal was he can go to Memphis and I won’t bat an eye.

UK will be fine.

Cal used Labissiere wrong. Admitted it. Instead of playing him back to the basket he was always gonna be best used catching the ball 15 feet out and operating. I never understood Cal’s fascination with trying to turn him into a banger and that’s maybe my biggest criticism of his time at UK.

That team with Labissiere confident and working how he wanted was a Final Four team.
Kinda believe that cal knew his weakness and challenged him. Regardless he had to become a better rebounder and defender.

Skal isnt staying in the league if he cant defend the 4 and 5 positions cause he sure as hell isnt athletic enough to guard athletic wings in the NBA.

Skal became a better player for that. Remember if you dont have a frontcourt your team is a fraud....

Is James Wiseman a Skal level talent or is his game more relateable to his favorite player, Anthony Davis. How Cal used Skal(hey that rhymes) won't be how he uses Wiseman.

Wiseman is a much better player than Skal. I think when it is all said and done he will play at UK. Not sure when he will make a decision. Anyone know ?

Wiseman can go to memphis. Several other big men I'd rather have ... I want a guy thats aggressive as a big.... and Wiseman just isnt aggressive enough.

Don't go too far...............................yet

I do think Skal would have been best utilized as a stretch four, but that team didn’t need a stretch four.

This is correct. Derek Willis would have been the superior stretch 4 even if Skal played that role. We needed a 5 to defend the paint, snag rebounds, and finish around the hoop.

95% of Skal's struggles at UK was due to his inability to snag a rebound.

Reactions: jrpross and Aike
Welp, I don't really buy into these kinds of threads. No offense to OP. It's definitely not personal and you are definitely not the first one to do it.

I will say this, if all Penny can throe at Cal and UK is Skal, then they ain't got much.

Can anyone name the last Memphis player to get drafted?

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I still don't believe he used him wrong. He might have played away from some fo his strengths, but for Kentucky to be effective we needed Skal to block shots and rebound. Playing Skal away from the basket would have doomed UK for sure, eventually. Cal did what he was supposed to, put Kentucky in the best chance to win.
? I thought he was only interested in draft night...

A lot of players have come to UK and Cal has not played to their strengths (there's only one ball) but I can't really think of anyone that lost any money because of it. College ball and pro ball are not the same game
Well there was that one guy, KAT... he had to pay more taxes and more to his agent because his draft improved.

Reactions: BlueSince92
ADVERTISEMENT