ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Hurts

GridCats

Sophomore
Jan 1, 2013
Alabama QB Jalen Hurts' dad recently said his son wants to play and that if he didn't, he'd be the biggest free agent in college football. Check out Nick Saban's response. Is he hurting his son's playing time chances?

Saw this on MSN news. I just copied this quote. Also Saban said " It would be handle in house"

Alabama QB Jalen Hurts' dad recently said his son wants to play and that if he didn't, he'd be the biggest free agent in college football. Check out Nick Saban's response. Is he hurting his son's playing time chances?

Saw this on MSN news. I just copied this quote. Also Saban said " It would be handle in house"
I think it's an interesting situation. I still believe he should be open to switching positions, where he would probably have a much greater chance to make an NFL roster. I just don't believe he will ever make it as an NFL quarterback.

I am afraid dad will be in for a really rude awakening if he transfers. I think he was the worst passing starting QB in the SEC last year, he can't or doesn't throw downfield and Bama has won because of their elite defense and running game. Calvin Ridley was a big play waiting to happen as a frosh, the last 2 years with Hurts he catches WR screens and quick slants. If Bama hasn't made the switch I believe UGA shuts them out in the NC game because he couldn't force us to change defenses with his passing.

Seems like a really nice kid, but whoever brings him in better have Bama level talent at the other 21 spots if they want Bama level success.

I am afraid dad will be in for a really rude awakening if he transfers. I think he was the worst passing starting QB in the SEC last year, he can't or doesn't throw downfield and Bama has won because of their elite defense and running game.

Career 62% completion, 40 touchdowns, 10 interception, 151 (10th in the nation returning) passer rating, 13 yards per completion (15th returning in the nation), 2016 SEC offensive player of the year.

Yeah, what school's going to want that guy?

You spelled “Best TD to Int ratio in the sec” wrong. He’s clearly better than you give him credit for

Reactions: BigTyrone
Career 62% completion, 40 touchdowns, 10 interception, 151 (10th in the nation returning) passer rating, 13 yards per completion (15th returning in the nation), 2016 SEC offensive player of the year.

He's one heckuva athlete. No question.
If you put him at Kentucky with Alabama's skill and depth at O line, running back and wide receiver I bet he would dominate as well. Without that line and skill group, maybe notsomuch.

I am afraid dad will be in for a really rude awakening if he transfers. I think he was the worst passing starting QB in the SEC last year, he can't or doesn't throw downfield and Bama has won because of their elite defense and running game. Calvin Ridley was a big play waiting to happen as a frosh, the last 2 years with Hurts he catches WR screens and quick slants. If Bama hasn't made the switch I believe UGA shuts them out in the NC game because he couldn't force us to change defenses with his passing.

Seems like a really nice kid, but whoever brings him in better have Bama level talent at the other 21 spots if they want Bama level success.
Agree with you Grumpy, no QB change UGA are National Champs easily!!! Bama's offense was not going to score enough points with Hurts at QB.

If he brings that Bama talent with him most of them, if he doesn't he won't be starting at any who expect to have any kind of vertical passing game, you watching him today?

Reactions: UKat1
You spelled “Best TD to Int ratio in the sec” wrong. He’s clearly better than you give him credit for

Do you ever watched him play? He throws WR screens and little short tosses, he doesn't/can't read the defense, holds the ball too long and tucks and runs. Now that doesn't mean Bama isn't going to win because they are so talented at every other position, like a 7A HS playing a 1A high school almost every week. If Bama had Drew Lock, they would be scarey., not so much with Hurts

Do you ever watched him play? He throws WR screens and little short tosses, he doesn't/can't read the defense, holds the ball too long and tucks and runs. Now that doesn't mean Bama isn't going to win because they are so talented at every other position, like a 7A HS playing a 1A high school almost every week. If Bama had Drew Lock, they would be scarey., not so much with Hurts

Spot on, Grumpy. He's a gamer and a great kid, but his weakness is throwing the ball downfield. Kiffin and Daboll did a great job of tailoring the offense to his limitations - ie: short tosses, WR screens, short curl routes, etc.

Spot on, Grumpy. He's a gamer and a great kid, but his weakness is throwing the ball downfield. Kiffin and Daboll did a great job of tailoring the offense to his limitations - ie: short tosses, WR screens, short curl routes, etc.

Yep, and that inability makes Bama beatable if you can deal with their running game and make the tackle on those WR screens. At this point in his career his passing game doesn't put any fear in a secondary.

I may have to reconsider, Fromm lhad a tough spring practice and even worse Fields looked good even with the 2 hand touch rule in effect on the QBs, nothing like having a little QB controversy heading into fall camp. But on the bright side, defense looked better than I thought they would and 2 or 3 frosh expected to contribute a good bit aren't on campus yet.

He's one heckuva athlete. No question.
If you put him at Kentucky with Alabama's skill and depth at O line, running back and wide receiver I bet he would dominate as well. Without that line and skill group, maybe notsomuch.
If you'd pair our qb's with Bama's weapons, they could win the nc.

Somebody needs to remind daddy that his son won because Bama had an elite defense and a superb running game. His son's passing was nothing to brag about. He was sitting the second half of the title game and the back up played one of the greatest second half's in football history as a true freshmen.

If he transfers he better pick a school that will not rely on his arm.

Reactions: GridCats
Somebody needs to remind daddy that his son won because Bama had an elite defense and a superb running game. His son's passing was nothing to brag about. He was sitting the second half of the title game and the back up played one of the greatest second half's in football history as a true freshmen.

As you can tell by my above post I agree with you 100%. If they needed his passing to win they would have been a 6-6 team. Tua makes them much tougher to defend.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

Remind daddy that Bama was about to lose before his son was replaced. Hurts seems an awesome kid. I cannot in this reality see him playing in the NFL. Tebow had a better shot than Hurts, IMO. If the NFL is the goal, switching positions seems smart. If not the goal, but rather being a college QB is, he probably should transfer. A good school would be happy to give him a chance.

I always find it funny when you here a dad say "I don't want my son to play".

The kid needs to evidently finish the fall semester. He cannot burn a RS to maintain 2 years of eligibility. I suspect he is not on the roster next fall, unless he changes his mind about playing another position.

I don't know if he Hurts is close enough to graduating to where he could be a grad transfer next June and could go wherever he wants. Now I think Dad will be disappointed after the most sought after free agent ever. Tech would love to have him, or any other school that runs an option offense, but why would any team who wants to throw the ball want him if he insist on playing QB? He gets credit for being the starter and his team winning a NC, but if he stays in the game I don't think Bama scores. He refuses to throw vertical even with Saban standing behind him telling him to, he can't read a defense or run through any kind of progression. But he would make some team a heck of a RB or maybe even a S. I still think he was the worst passing starting QB in the SEC in 18.

I don't know if he Hurts is close enough to graduating to where he could be a grad transfer next June and could go wherever he wants. Now I think Dad will be disappointed after the most sought after free agent ever. Tech would love to have him, or any other school that runs an option offense, but why would any team who wants to throw the ball want him if he insist on playing QB? He gets credit for being the starter and his team winning a NC, but if he stays in the game I don't think Bama scores. He refuses to throw vertical even with Saban standing behind him telling him to, he can't read a defense or run through any kind of progression. But he would make some team a heck of a RB or maybe even a S. I still think he was the worst passing starting QB in the SEC in 18.

Someone said he will be done in December. Not sure if that is accurate. Just something I heard.

Someone said he will be done in December. Not sure if that is accurate. Just something I heard.

Then I guess it comes down to wanting to play a college QB or get prepared for a shot at the NFL. Even with the RBs Bama has on campus I think he is a good enough runner to be in their rotation at RB, a position I think he probably has NFL ability at, or transfer to somewhere he can be QB and hope someone gives him a shot at RB/DB in the NFL. I think he has almost no chance of being an NFL QB.

Then I guess it comes down to wanting to play a college QB or get prepared for a shot at the NFL. Even with the RBs Bama has on campus I think he is a good enough runner to be in their rotation at RB, a position I think he probably has NFL ability at, or transfer to somewhere he can be QB and hope someone gives him a shot at RB/DB in the NFL. I think he has almost no chance of being an NFL QB.

Agreed.

Slightly off topic but Blake Barnett is transferring from ASU. I remember his dad not being happy when he arrived for spring ball. Rumor was that the ASU coaching staff promised him the starting gig and he was 2nd or 3rd string.

Slightly off topic but Blake Barnett is transferring from ASU. I remember his dad not being happy when he arrived for spring ball. Rumor was that the ASU coaching staff promised him the starting gig and he was 2nd or 3rd string.

Those rumors do damage to the ASU staff and to the player. They look like liars and he looks like a prima donna.

[EDIT: I see now that Barnett committed to Coach TG at ASU - so the current staff would have no reason to keep a silly promise of starting. Barnett is now a grad transfer. School shopping seems not to be a gift of his]

Last edited:
Can't believe he hasn't transferred yet, no way this kid ever plays a snap over Tua.
Probably best case scenario he plays one year at QB. But Tua's brother is a Senior this year and headed to Bama as well I would assume they would RS the younger brother and Mac could still get one or two years if Tua declares as a Junior.

Probably best case scenario he plays one year at QB. But Tua's brother is a Senior this year and headed to Bama as well I would assume they would RS the younger brother and Mac could still get one or two years if Tua declares as a Junior.
was talking about hurts

See that now and I expect a transfer or position change for Hurts. No way Hurts stays at Bama as a QB.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT