ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Fromm

5419f486a62f57ec7b5542a7395a6454.png

So he is joking around with some girl, that get socially conscious 3 years later. Now he gets hit hard because of a joke that he made when he was 19. If a black man made the same joke, it would not have been a big deal. It wouldn't have been a big deal a month ago.

I kind of agree with JasonS., but it's going to be a hell of a world to live in when you can't joke about almost anything. Because anything can be offensive to somebody these days. Jason is right in that if you are a public figure don't post anything, anywhere.

I also agree with Drew Brees, but what awful timing on his statement.

So he is joking around with some girl, that get socially conscious 3 years later. Now he gets hit hard because of a joke that he made when he was 19. If a black man made the same joke, it would not have been a big deal. It wouldn't have been a big deal a month ago.

I kind of agree with JasonS., but it's going to be a hell of a world to live in when you can't joke about almost anything. Because anything can be offensive to somebody these days. Jason is right in that if you are a public figure don't post anything, anywhere.

I also agree with Drew Brees, but what awful timing on his statement.

All over Facebook I keep seeing blacks that don't agree with something posted doing screenshots of that person's profile, what the comment was, and saying stuff like I wonder how _______ (enter person's work) feels about that? So basically everyone of those posts are trying to get someone fired because they don't agree with what they say. It's happened on this site before (people using your personal info against you).

That's why I don't post anything controversial on any site that is linked to my real info. I'm not going to get caught down the road with people using things I said against me. I wish sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (even though I use it for keeping up with family and a few friends) would all just go away. They all have become cesspools.

All over Facebook I keep seeing blacks that don't agree with something posted doing screenshots of that person's profile, what the comment was, and saying stuff like I wonder how _______ (enter person's work) feels about that? So basically everyone of those posts are trying to get someone fired because they don't agree with what they say. It's happened on this site before (people using your personal info against you).

That's why I don't post anything controversial on any site that is linked to my real info. I'm not going to get caught down the road with people using things I said against me. I wish sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook (even though I use it for keeping up with family and a few friends) would all just go away. They all have become cesspools.
This was a text to a friend... not public social media. If I read the story correctly.

Reactions: 59DAWG
You’ve never texted something private to a friend?
I don’t text anything to anyone I wouldn’t feel comfortable being public. What if your friend’s daughter or son, or another friend or someone you don’t know uses their cell and invades their privacy? Your friend could be totally innocent of it getting out and it still get out.

I don’t text anything to anyone I wouldn’t feel comfortable being public. What if your friend’s daughter or son, or another friend or someone you don’t know uses their cell and invades their privacy? Your friend could be totally innocent of it getting out and it still get out.
I would be a hermit. The vast majority of my friends... texting is the major communication.
Myself? I would much rather have a phone call...

I would be a hermit. The vast majority of my friends... texting is the major communication.
Myself? I would much rather have a phone call...
Yeah texting is a major form of communication. But being a lawyer and also having gone through a divorce, someone you thought you could trust could change on a dime. It’s not worth taking a chance in today’s environment where anything can be misconstrued.

This was a text to a friend... not public social media. If I read the story correctly.

Just using it as an example of how putting something out there digitally can be used against you. Compared to a voice call where it becomes hearsay and no proof you said it. You can't take a text back so you have to hope something like this doesn't happen.

Reactions: Blueaz
If he gets cut because of this, well, it was probably going to happen anyway. He might not have chosen wisely to leave early for the draft in the first place.

Yeah texting is a major form of communication. But being a lawyer and also having gone through a divorce, someone you thought you could trust could change on a dime. It’s not worth taking a chance in today’s environment where anything can be misconstrued.
Amen to that... I divorced a year ago. Started the process a year before that...
I really watched my texting.
I always have to her, not as much to friends. Especially, something in a joking manner. I do pay more attention, but probably not as diligent as I should be....

Just using it as an example of how putting something out there digitally can be used against you. Compared to a voice call where it becomes hearsay and no proof you said it. You can't take a text back so you have to hope something like this doesn't happen.
Agree

---
Unless the call is being recorded by whoever you call & of course, the NSA is recording everything.

Reactions: 59DAWG
I’ll never understand this new generation. Ed Snowden told this group when they were in elementary school YOU ARE BEING TRACKED......every phone, home , cellular, corner booth( if they still got em) , yet they continue posting and even trying to run and hide for numerous reasons, but they drag their little tracker right along with them. And put banking numbers , and daily journals right on their tracker/ phone,....then come and say problems have happened b/c they got into their phone etc. I keep my personal stuff off those devices then don’t have to worry about it.

Texting and FB and instagram and generally living under the watchful eye of cyber world is not enhancing my world at all. In fact being around people preoccupied with this dog $h!+ is a walking torture session to me. I find you cannot Finish a meaningful thought without their bells and whistles going off. Then some brain dead moron burys their face in their little TV for the next 3 hours.

I told my nephew he’s got 3000 FB friends and not one human in person to help pull him outta the ditch. Came out to help him get his truck back outta the ditch and he’s filming that to show cyber world what happened. I told him leave me and my ride outta the production. I like my friends in person,...and 12 year old girls text their maw when shopping mall time is up. Don’t like the way they do things today,..... to many clowns trying to out do each other’s FB exploits.

The sooner these people understand the world don’t give a steaming pile of $h!+ what you had for lunch, or if you petted a tiger in a gold cage, or what your new skinny jeans cost and realize your not famous and are not ever gonna be, the better off you’ll be in life. Reality checks are tough.

Last edited:
---
Unless the call is being recorded by whoever you call & of course, the NSA is recording everything.

Isn't that against the law (not talking about the NSA part)? You'd be opening up a large can of worms if you record someone without permission and then put it out there for the world to see. I guess you can get away with text message sharing but you'd be possibly fined and/or imprisoned for releasing recorded messages without consent.

Reactions: Greasy Creak Mafia

Saying things that people don’t agree with is one thing. Posting blatantly racist garbage is another.

Honestly, I thought we were several decades away from a large scale pushback against social media. Im shocked. Facebook started in the late 90s at Harvard but by the time I got to UK (2001-2005) it had become a college social staple. I got rid of it years ago. More and more folks will continue to drop it, but social media will evolve into some other iteration. This younger generation has really only ever known it. I guess we're headed for an episode of the Twilight Zone meets 1984 meets Black Mirror.

Isn't that against the law (not talking about the NSA part)? You'd be opening up a large can of worms if you record someone without permission and then put it out there for the world to see. I guess you can get away with text message sharing but you'd be possibly fined and/or imprisoned for releasing recorded messages without consent.

It depends on what state you are in. A lot of states allow taping with only one person's consent-meaning if I tape you and I'm good with it, you are screwed.

Reactions: 420grover
One of my favorite "made up" jokes is I had my ID stolen twice in the past month. Both times they showed up at my door the next day and gave me $50 to take it back.

I had a friend that lost over $3,000 to identity theft not too long ago, but he ended up getting most of it back.

Last edited:
---
When did something being illegal ever stop anybody? All you have to do is pass it off to a third party.

Jake made a huge mistake, he is a borderline talent level NFL guy and this could be the deciding factor.

Now the girl that brought this text out, why is she suddenly offended by it 3 years later? If it was fine then, what changed? I think she had hopes of going for that NFL ride and it become clear to her she wasn't part of the plan, and suddenly she is offended. Now none of that makes what Jake said ok, but this came out for the wrong reason. He very likely will be Jake from State Farm for real now.

Reactions: Ldgator
Who the hell has text message conversations going back 3 yrs still in their phone?

For family members I actually have text messages going back to when I first got this phone over a year and a half ago. I keep them in case I need to look back on something that I sent out or received. I believe you can also import your messages from your previous phone.

I could see some chicks keeping them to use to their advantage one day. Especially if they are dating someone with possibly large earning potential. She probably already tried to blackmail him and he refused so she released it or was just being vindictive because he was with someone else.

In fact being around people preoccupied with this dog $h!+ is a walking torture session to me.

Preach it. I go to games with some 20-somethings, occasionally. They have a hard time watching the game because of their phone.

I like to talk to people who I’m sitting near, and cheer, etc.

Once while driving passed a small college campus near where one youngster had graduated, he related he’d never been on that street . . . a main thoroughfare less than one mile from his 4 year college. When I was at the same college, 30 years ago, I probably got pulled over more times than that kid ever drove around.

It’sa different world!!

ADVERTISEMENT