ADVERTISEMENT

Iverson blows off Big 3 game to gamble

shocked.gif

Good for him. "Big 3"([sick]) is an absolute ridiculous conceit that AI clearly has no time for. [thumb2]

I've watched a lot of that league and I have to admit it's fun. It's fast, old guys can't still play, there's strategy involved. If nothing else, it's basketball in the summer. Those guys are still pretty damn skilled.
OK I could google it, but where are you watching it? I'd like to check it out

Well, yeah. Of course he did.

Echo the sentiments that it's been decent to watch though. Between that, summer league and TBT, there's a decent summer hoops market growing.

Well, yeah. Of course he did.

Echo the sentiments that it's been decent to watch though. Between that, summer league and TBT, there's a decent summer hoops market growing.
Which might not bode well for the future of college basketball. If people are willing to watch NBA Summer League and old guys playing 3 on 3, how many would be willing to watch the best 18 and 19 year old players on the planet play in a real minor league?

I'm looking at it like this: No one is particularly happy with the 1 year rule. People fantasize about a situation where the NBA changes it to 2 years, but I think the odds of that happening, at least in a way where the elite recruits are forced to do it, are about 0. But the NBA doesn't really want 18 year olds in the league, unless they're once in a decade types like LeBron. The obvious direction they can go is to create a minor league that allows them to control 18-19 year old players, and that's a lot easier if they don't have to take a huge financial loss to do it. Which is easier if people are willing to watch it.

Fortunately for college fans, I think ESPN will stand in the way of college basketball becoming college baseball. College basketball is too big a part of its programming to let it slide that far, and ESPN has leverage on both sides because they pump so much money into the NBA. So I can see a future where ESPN brokers an agreement between the NCAA and NBA to either come up with a baseball draft type of rule, or to allow NBA teams to control and pay players who still want to attend college for a few years.

What I can't see is the current system lasting much longer.

ADVERTISEMENT