ADVERTISEMENT

I've got a strong take: Herro and KeldJohn are better than Romeo Langford

Apr 2, 2016
Here's a link to Romeo Langfords high school stats. Despite being billed as a good outside shooter, he shot 35% from 3 his high school career on large volume. Add in his various all star events and that % dips to 34%.

He attempted nearly 750 Free throws in his 4 year high school career pointing to the fact that much of his offensive value was predicated on him using his 6'5 frame against 6 foot and under high schoolers to draw a ton of fouls. I'm not sure that's totally translatable to Division 1 college.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...bef0-a0369f3c1b4c&gendersport=boys,basketball

Now, look at the AAU per 40 minute stats in this tweet.

Romeo Langford is listed twice - once with his combined 16 and 17 seasons and another time showing just his 2017 season.

Firstly, Keldon Johnson is superior in nearly all stats across the board. But when you look at Romeos 2017 stats only, he was awful against high level competition.

KeldJohn is a better scorer, shooter, creator, and defender. It's baffling how he was ranked below Romeo but recruiting rankings suck and don't matter.

Onto Tyler Herro, who I think is essentially Devin Booker 2.0. What he does well translates. He's a lights out shooter with size that will enable him to get that sweet jump shot off at any moment. While he's a great slasher as well, he won't have to rely on it to get to the line like Romeo Langford will absolutely need it to succeed.

I think Herro will have one of the better Offensive Ratings on UK and even in the SEC.

The problem, though, is that it's always hard to tell how much shooting percentages in HS, AAU, and FIBA events are a function of ability versus shot selection, and how much of that is fixable.

That's part of the reason NBA scouts look at FT% as much, sometimes even more (depending on how the player was utilized) than overall FG% and 3 pt%. FT's are always the same, without a lot of noise, so they're often a good indicator of how much ability there is to build on. Guys who struggle to hit 65% from the FT line are highly unlikely to ever become proficient 3 point threats, or jump shooters in general.

It's true, though, that if Langford struggles with his shooting, he's likely to be little more than an inefficient scorer. Honestly, we've seen the type at UK- Goodwin, Aaron Harrison, Hami Diallo. They brought positives, no doubt, but they were pretty inefficient, and not as big of stars as initially hoped.

Last edited:
Will Romeo Langford even be eligible to play? I haven't heard if anything transpired from this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fe75a1d13bba

"In January 2017, Pitino said, two Adidas officials met with him to discuss their efforts to keep Nike and Under Armour from landing Langford, whom Pitino was recruiting. Pitino’s account was supported by text messages he shared with The Washington Post for a previous story.

“The way they phrased it, it was [whichever shoe company] was going to pay the dad’s AAU program the most money, gets it,” Pitino said in a recent phone interview. A few days later, Adidas’s league added a new team: Twenty Two Vision, featuring Romeo Langford on the court and Tim Langford as team director. Shoe company sponsorships can reach $100,000 to $150,000, and team directors who limit expenses can pay themselves salaries from those amounts.

“That’s the way that world works,” Pitino said. “Which is completely legal, by the way.”

Totally thrown under the bus by RP. [laughing]

tenor.gif

Did you mention Herro?

There’s a Herro
If you look inside your heart
You don’t have to be afraid
Of what you are
There’s an answer
If you reach into your soul
And the sorrow that you know
Will melt away

And then a Herro comes along
With the strength to carry on
And you cast your fears aside
And you know you can survive
So when you feel like hope is gone
Look inside you and be strong
And you’ll finally see the truth
That a Herro lies in you

It’s a long road
When you face the world alone
No one reaches out a hand
For you to hold
You can find love
If you search within yourself
And the emptiness you felt
Will disappear

And then a Herro comes along
With the strength to carry on
And you cast your fears aside
And you know you can survive
So when you feel like hope is gone
Look inside you and be strong
And you’ll finally see the truth
That a Herro lies in you!!!!!!!
Tyler-Herro.jpg

I posted earlier this year that I was not impressed by Langford. Who knows, maybe he will be great. I just didn't see anything special. I am glad we got both instead.

Reactions: Newcattitudes
I posted earlier this year that I was not impressed by Langford. Who knows, maybe he will be great. I just didn't see anything special. I am glad we got both instead.

I’m with you. I’ve heard all the hype for years about him but from what I’ve seen he’s a talent for sure but I like the moxie and smarts that Herro has. I wouldn’t trade Herro for him. Herro is my kind of player. Surprised K didn’t pursue him harder if at all. He has that JJ Reddick quality about him. Not quite the stroke but the same competitive nature and willingness to work.

Here's a link to Romeo Langfords high school stats. Despite being billed as a good outside shooter, he shot 35% from 3 his high school career on large volume. Add in his various all star events and that % dips to 34%.

He attempted nearly 750 Free throws in his 4 year high school career pointing to the fact that much of his offensive value was predicated on him using his 6'5 frame against 6 foot and under high schoolers to draw a ton of fouls. I'm not sure that's totally translatable to Division 1 college.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...bef0-a0369f3c1b4c&gendersport=boys,basketball

Now, look at the AAU per 40 minute stats in this tweet.

Romeo Langford is listed twice - once with his combined 16 and 17 seasons and another time showing just his 2017 season.

Firstly, Keldon Johnson is superior in nearly all stats across the board. But when you look at Romeos 2017 stats only, he was awful against high level competition.

KeldJohn is a better scorer, shooter, creator, and defender. It's baffling how he was ranked below Romeo but recruiting rankings suck and don't matter.

Onto Tyler Herro, who I think is essentially Devin Booker 2.0. What he does well translates. He's a lights out shooter with size that will enable him to get that sweet jump shot off at any moment. While he's a great slasher as well, he won't have to rely on it to get to the line like Romeo Langford will absolutely need it to succeed.

I think Herro will have one of the better Offensive Ratings on UK and even in the SEC.
Romeo Langford is an outstanding talent. From everything I have read, he is a good kid as well. While it is not unimaginable that we may have players with better high school stats, I think it is doubtful that we have two incoming freshmen that are better overall ball players than Langford. I do really like our players though.

Romeo will be statistically superior to any one Cat because he'll be the total engine of their offense. When he's hot, he'll have some statistically impressive games. But no way would I rather have him on the team than either KJ or Hagans.
I agree. The one thing I saw yesterday no matter who was on the floor yesterday was lots of unselfishness.

I'm sure if Langford were a UK player, I'd love the kid. He's an exceptional athlete who has shown he can score well at the HS level. The question becomes, and we've all seen this multiple times with high level recruits, how much of a recruit's ranking was based purely upon his ability to physically dominate opponents on the High School level? That's the question for Langford to answer. We just had a guy who was dominant in high school but struggled with a more structured, more half-court kind of game. When he couldn't dominate people physically anymore, he struggled. That was Diallo. I wouldn't be shocked if Langford has a similar struggle.

Tyler Herro is a one and done first round pick. He keeps drawing Devin Bokmer comparisons, but he reminds me more of Gary Harris.

I am 100% positive he is a better basketball player than Romeo Langford.

He answered that at camps Vs other top players. His ranking is legit. Will he be able to carry it over to IU, only time will tell but based on anyone who has watched him play a lot it’s safe to say it will carry over

I'm sure if Langford were a UK player, I'd love the kid. He's an exceptional athlete who has shown he can score well at the HS level. The question becomes, and we've all seen this multiple times with high level recruits, how much of a recruit's ranking was based purely upon his ability to physically dominate opponents on the High School level? That's the question for Langford to answer. We just had a guy who was dominant in high school but struggled with a more structured, more half-court kind of game. When he couldn't dominate people physically anymore, he struggled. That was Diallo. I wouldn't be shocked if Langford has a similar struggle.

We can visit it. But I’d like to know what our base it on since when both played at camps with and vs high level players Langford was better. Obviously it’s based on Fandom right now

Herro is a better shooter and scorer than Langford. We can revisit this at the end of the season.

How confident are you that RoMeO will have a better FR season?

I’m willing to bet Herro (and Keldon) will have a bigger impact for UK
(obviously)

We can visit it. But I’d like to know what our base it on since when both played at camps with and vs high level players Langford was better. Obviously it’s based on Fandom right now

Last edited:
Camps where Herro barely got to play? Are the camps he showed out because he actually got to play lol. Herro just lit up pros so I'm gonna pick him as better.

Romeo will have games where he is 11-for-35 for 28 points and Indiana fans will be wondering how they managed to lose to Rutgers (again) or Iowa (again) with such a superstar on the floor.

I do feel a bit bad for Indiana fans.

I mean, they really, really do care about college basketball, and it really, really doesn't matter. They still haven't been relevant since the dawn of the Clinton administration.

We'll see about that. Langford has a long way to go to be in Herro's league right now and as far as impact in meaningful ways in college, not stand around NBA games, I'd bet money right now Herro is a more important piece.

Herro and his teammates just have to play to their potential to win the national title.

Langford and his teammates just have to play to their potential to make the NIT.

Reactions: morgousky

Langford is the better pro prospect (right now), but there was a time when guys like Stanley Johnson and Mudiay were better pro prospects than Devin Booker.

All of that said, Herro gives UK what it needs. Langford was a bit redundant with Johnson/Quickley on board and Green returning.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT