It's OK, This is Kentucky's Future Quarterback:

Discussion in 'Wildcat Lair - Football Forum' started by BlueRattie, Nov 12, 2017.

1. BlueRattie

BlueRattie Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

As a freshman in high school, Danny Clark committed to his home state school Ohio State. As Clark matured, it became apparent that Clark was going to be more of a pro-style quarterback than dual-threat quarterback, and Ohio State began looking other places--stringing Clark along in the process. After the commitment of a higher rated dual-threat QB, Clark remained strong in his commitment. After Ohio State cut off active communication with him, Clark remained strong in his commitment. When Ohio State fans and coaches labeled him a middling, pedestrian "project", Clark remained strong in his commitment. Only when Ohio State coaches made it very clear to him that he would never see the field as a quarterback did Clark begin to look for other suitors. When he announced that he was decommiting from Ohio State, he wrote a letter to OSU fans apologizing for not being good enough. Think about that for a moment.

In an era where sleazy coaches play games with kids' lives and fickle children want to use one school as an insurance policy while waiting for better offers, it's nice to know that there are kids on UK's roster that value loyalty and commitment. Clark may not take the reins of UK's offense next year, or even two years from now, but any team with guys like him on the roster is worth rooting for.

[​IMG]

1 BlueRattie, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    KYCAT78, UKCats44, GridCats and 42 others like this.
  2. The-Hack

The-Hack Junior
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Excellent post and thoughts, BlueRattie.

For a true frosh, he looked decent in the Spring game, and I'm glad he's wearing Blue.

cat888, BlueRattie, bluecoon1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Big_Blue_Blaster

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Best post that I have read all day.

4. Smashcat

Smashcat All-American
    Expand Collapse

Another pro: he's a natural alpha male.

BeeBeeIn, cat888, BlueRattie and 2 others like this.
  5. _ukcat

_ukcat All-American
    Expand Collapse

I like Clark but can UK get and coach an O line to protect a pocket passer? I just feel dual threat QB the way UK has to play in SEC for its best chance to be in and possibly wins games..IMO. I know it worked somewhat with Woodsen with Brooks and his staff, not sure this staff can do that.

UKNothinButNet likes this.
  6. catben

catben All-American
    Expand Collapse

The word "commitment" is lost on so many in this day and age. Give me a kid that has something to prove and will work hard to do so.

Hoping Mr. Clark can be bigger and better than Jarren Williams.

GridCats and BlueRattie like this.
  7. highlysuspicious

Expand Collapse

if he is half as good at qb as he is at being a cheerleader on the sidelines, we will be fine. kid gets into it. seems like a natural leader.

8. Pelosigalore

Expand Collapse

9. john4uk

john4uk Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I really hope Clark and Hoak pan out,but the fact that they were being recruited over is bothersome.

BlueRattie likes this.
  10. UKWinsAgainYep

Expand Collapse

Really sick of recruits like Williams ....

11. BlakeNapier2017

Expand Collapse

I don't necessarily think that Clark and Hoak were being recruited over. It is common practice to get a QB in each class. It's impossible to forecast how things will shake out, especially at the QB position. However, I do agree with the statement that it's worrisome neither are classified as dual threat. Additionally, of the two, I believe that Clark is a little better of an athlete. So there's that.

I know it's far fetched, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lynn Bowden be given a shot at QB. I don't know how effective of a passer he will be, nor do I know how that will effect recruiting at the wide receiver position. Perhaps use Bowden as a short term solution for next year, while Hoak and Clark still prepare for real action.

IMO, Drew Barker is finished after this year. I think that the staff politely tells him that he's not in the future plans for QB at UK.

PowerofPelphrey likes this.
  12. vhcat70

vhcat70 All-American
    Expand Collapse

I don't get this. Practically every position has another player recruited for that position every year. K's/P's are about the only exceptions to this. "Over" is determined on the field.

brianpoe and EKCAT4YRS like this.
  13. vhcat70

vhcat70 All-American
    Expand Collapse

OK. that's one opinion.

14. AllCatsEverything5

AllCatsEverything5 Blue Chip Prospect
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Me too. But to quit getting played we have to recruit other kids. He said he was taking his officials, we should’ve said we’re recruiting other QBs. Tell them if they don’t like it, go somewhere else. Don’t just sit there and get played.

shutzhund, cateyes and willievic like this.
  15. BlakeNapier2017

Expand Collapse

That opinion is based off of some rumor around the program. I also think that Drew wants to move on as well, from what I hear. Could just be that though, rumor.

16. htbud11

htbud11 Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I hope Clark makes us all forget about J.W.

17. BBBLazing

BBBLazing Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Good teams recruit over everyone. All top 10 teams have skill players transfer when they don't end up being the guy. The fact that we have 4 star guys that may have to transfer out to play means that we are making progress.

18. truebluewildcat

Expand Collapse

I've seen this kid up close, he's built like a brick shit house. Add a chip on his shoulder to that, and you got all the makings for something worth a look.

Said in another post that DB and GH are going to get every opportunity and all the reps, as they should. Those two are upperclassmen with multiple years being groomed in this system.

However, Clark could factor in should the staff see an opportunity to exploit a multiple QB offense with DC coming in for some real Wildcat packages, as opposed to the direct snap and run right up the middle with one of the two guys who have been getting all the touches/carries all night anyway offense we've been running...

DC coming in for some spot Wildcat opens up the play book. He could very well run it, he could hand it off, he could pass. Basically, as a legit QB he can run the entire offense from the wildcat and not be limited to just dive/power football.

GridCats and 23jumpboy like this.
  19. ekywildcat

ekywildcat Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

It only took Hinshaw a short time to find SJ, so I'd say he is already searching the JC schools for a candidate. I'd take another SJ in a heartbeat.

20. bigblueinsanity

bigblueinsanity All-American
    Expand Collapse

If youve ever watched Clark warm up, you know he has all the physical tools one could ever want.

Harness those, and he will be more than enough

Aces Fan likes this.
  21. EastLansingCat

EastLansingCat Blue Chip Prospect
    Expand Collapse

"yeah we've been watching qb's all day so we will go out and find someone haha."

we will get a qb this class.

22. vhcat70

vhcat70 All-American
    Expand Collapse

I'd be surprised if this rumor didn't exist. So what?

23. vhcat70

vhcat70 All-American
    Expand Collapse

bigbluedon says Stoops won't give him a chance - FWIW.

24. railroadkat_1

railroadkat_1 Junior
    Expand Collapse

WHO..............WHO????????????????

GridCats likes this.
  25. Blue Decade

Blue Decade All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

Do you watch our football games? Offensive line has not been a weakness since September. Our coaches have overcome losses of Toth and Mosier plus Haynes' season-long illness. Our offensive line is playing steadily better and better with freshman Drake Jackson as our starting center. Several top offensive linemen have committed to Stoops' next recruiting class.

catben likes this.
  26. Blue Decade

Blue Decade All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

Coach Hinshaw didn't take SJ because he was a juco. Hinshaw took SJ because SJ was the best available quarterback he could find on 2 weeks' notice in December, 2015. For several reasons, I don't think this is the right year to find a juco quarterback solution. Maybe Hinshaw will find a juco, but I believe the answer this time may be a flip or a former commit/decommit from somewhere else. It's also possible that Stoops might take 2 quarterbacks this year if he can get guys he wants. That probably depends on what he thinks about the guys he already has, especially whether he believes they will all stay.

27. BeeBeeIn

Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Best thing about Clark is watching him on the sidelines at the games. He's always getting his teammates pumped up and he's a natural leader/goof ball if you watch him. That's a great thing and someone the players would want to go to war for.

EliteBlue likes this.
  28. Blue Decade

Blue Decade All-SEC
    Expand Collapse

This isn't reality. Since P5 programs generally take a quarterback in each class, Clark and Hoak aren't being "recruited over". Every year, our football team improves on the field. Our fans must catch up. In reality, this spring was intended to be Barker's chance to win the 2018 quarterback job. But that is no longer the case, since Barker hasn't been able to keep himself in a position of advantage. Now April is a competition between Barker and Hoak, with Clark having a real chance to beat both of them out if he is ready from day 1. By enrolling in January, Williams would also have been in the competition. That doesn't mean anyone else was being "recruited over". Signing the best available players and creating competition for starting jobs is what successful programs do every year.

catben likes this.
  29. LouievileKat

LouievileKat All-American
    Expand Collapse

Can I call him Smith?

bluebornwildcat, EliteBlue and catben like this.
  30. vhcat70

vhcat70 All-American
    Expand Collapse

This year we'll have 3-4 QB's returning with a year+ in the program. Last year we had one. Hence the JC emphasis last.

31. yoshukai

yoshukai Senior
    Expand Collapse

I realize high school rankings are very subjective, but who was considered the better prospect, Hoak or Clark ?

32. WildcatofNati

WildcatofNati Junior
    Expand Collapse

Overall, Clark, but ESPN rated Hoak very high. It's fairly close.

yoshukai likes this.