ADVERTISEMENT

It's OK, This is Kentucky's Future Quarterback:

BlueRattie

Sophomore
Feb 6, 2014
As a freshman in high school, Danny Clark committed to his home state school Ohio State. As Clark matured, it became apparent that Clark was going to be more of a pro-style quarterback than dual-threat quarterback, and Ohio State began looking other places--stringing Clark along in the process. After the commitment of a higher rated dual-threat QB, Clark remained strong in his commitment. After Ohio State cut off active communication with him, Clark remained strong in his commitment. When Ohio State fans and coaches labeled him a middling, pedestrian "project", Clark remained strong in his commitment. Only when Ohio State coaches made it very clear to him that he would never see the field as a quarterback did Clark begin to look for other suitors. When he announced that he was decommiting from Ohio State, he wrote a letter to OSU fans apologizing for not being good enough. Think about that for a moment.

In an era where sleazy coaches play games with kids' lives and fickle children want to use one school as an insurance policy while waiting for better offers, it's nice to know that there are kids on UK's roster that value loyalty and commitment. Clark may not take the reins of UK's offense next year, or even two years from now, but any team with guys like him on the roster is worth rooting for.

CvYEAcrWAAAiEPD.0.jpg

Last edited:
As a freshman in high school, Danny Clark committed to his home state school Ohio State. As Clark matured, it became apparent that Clark was going to be more of a pro-style quarterback than dual-threat quarterback, and Ohio State began looking other places--stringing Clark along in the process. After the commitment of a higher rated dual-threat QB, Clark remained strong in his commitment. After Ohio State cut off active communication with him, Clark remained strong in his commitment. When Ohio State fans and coaches labeled him a middling, pedestrian "project", Clark remained strong in his commitment. Only when Ohio State coaches made it very clear to him that he would never see the field as a quarterback did Clark begin to look for other suitors. When he announced that he was decommiting from Ohio State, he wrote a letter to OSU fans apologizing for not being good enough. Think about that for a moment.

In an era were sleazy coaches play games with kids' lives and fickle children want to use one school as an insurance policy while waiting for better offers, it's nice to know that there are kids on UK's roster that value loyalty and commitment. Clark may not take the reins of UK's offense next year, or even two years from now, but any team with guys like him on the roster is worth rooting for.

CvYEAcrWAAAiEPD.0.jpg
Best post that I have read all day.

In an era were sleazy coaches play games with kids' lives and fickle children want to use one school as an insurance policy while waiting for better offers, it's nice to know that there are kids on UK's roster that value loyalty and commitment. Clark may not take the reins of UK's offense next year, or even two years from now, but any team with guys like him on the roster is worth rooting for.

CvYEAcrWAAAiEPD.0.jpg
Another pro: he's a natural alpha male.

I like Clark but can UK get and coach an O line to protect a pocket passer? I just feel dual threat QB the way UK has to play in SEC for its best chance to be in and possibly wins games..IMO. I know it worked somewhat with Woodsen with Brooks and his staff, not sure this staff can do that.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
The word "commitment" is lost on so many in this day and age. Give me a kid that has something to prove and will work hard to do so.

Hoping Mr. Clark can be bigger and better than Jarren Williams.

I really hope Clark and Hoak pan out,but the fact that they were being recruited over is bothersome.

Reactions: BlueRattie
I don't necessarily think that Clark and Hoak were being recruited over. It is common practice to get a QB in each class. It's impossible to forecast how things will shake out, especially at the QB position. However, I do agree with the statement that it's worrisome neither are classified as dual threat. Additionally, of the two, I believe that Clark is a little better of an athlete. So there's that.

I know it's far fetched, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Lynn Bowden be given a shot at QB. I don't know how effective of a passer he will be, nor do I know how that will effect recruiting at the wide receiver position. Perhaps use Bowden as a short term solution for next year, while Hoak and Clark still prepare for real action.

IMO, Drew Barker is finished after this year. I think that the staff politely tells him that he's not in the future plans for QB at UK.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
I really hope Clark and Hoak pan out,but the fact that they were being recruited over is bothersome.
I don't get this. Practically every position has another player recruited for that position every year. K's/P's are about the only exceptions to this. "Over" is determined on the field.

I've seen this kid up close, he's built like a brick shit house. Add a chip on his shoulder to that, and you got all the makings for something worth a look.

Said in another post that DB and GH are going to get every opportunity and all the reps, as they should. Those two are upperclassmen with multiple years being groomed in this system.

However, Clark could factor in should the staff see an opportunity to exploit a multiple QB offense with DC coming in for some real Wildcat packages, as opposed to the direct snap and run right up the middle with one of the two guys who have been getting all the touches/carries all night anyway offense we've been running...

DC coming in for some spot Wildcat opens up the play book. He could very well run it, he could hand it off, he could pass. Basically, as a legit QB he can run the entire offense from the wildcat and not be limited to just dive/power football.

If youve ever watched Clark warm up, you know he has all the physical tools one could ever want.

Harness those, and he will be more than enough

Reactions: Aces Fan
"yeah we've been watching qb's all day so we will go out and find someone haha."

we will get a qb this class.

In an era where sleazy coaches play games with kids' lives and fickle children want to use one school as an insurance policy while waiting for better offers, it's nice to know that there are kids on UK's roster that value loyalty and commitment. Clark may not take the reins of UK's offense next year, or even two years from now, but any team with guys like him on the roster is worth rooting for.

CvYEAcrWAAAiEPD.0.jpg
bigbluedon says Stoops won't give him a chance - FWIW.

I like Clark but can UK get and coach an O line to protect a pocket passer? I just feel dual threat QB the way UK has to play in SEC for its best chance to be in and possibly wins games..IMO. I know it worked somewhat with Woodsen with Brooks and his staff, not sure this staff can do that.
Do you watch our football games? Offensive line has not been a weakness since September. Our coaches have overcome losses of Toth and Mosier plus Haynes' season-long illness. Our offensive line is playing steadily better and better with freshman Drake Jackson as our starting center. Several top offensive linemen have committed to Stoops' next recruiting class.

Reactions: catben
It only took Hinshaw a short time to find SJ, so I'd say he is already searching the JC schools for a candidate. I'd take another SJ in a heartbeat.
Coach Hinshaw didn't take SJ because he was a juco. Hinshaw took SJ because SJ was the best available quarterback he could find on 2 weeks' notice in December, 2015. For several reasons, I don't think this is the right year to find a juco quarterback solution. Maybe Hinshaw will find a juco, but I believe the answer this time may be a flip or a former commit/decommit from somewhere else. It's also possible that Stoops might take 2 quarterbacks this year if he can get guys he wants. That probably depends on what he thinks about the guys he already has, especially whether he believes they will all stay.

Best thing about Clark is watching him on the sidelines at the games. He's always getting his teammates pumped up and he's a natural leader/goof ball if you watch him. That's a great thing and someone the players would want to go to war for.

Reactions: EliteBlue
This isn't reality. Since P5 programs generally take a quarterback in each class, Clark and Hoak aren't being "recruited over". Every year, our football team improves on the field. Our fans must catch up. In reality, this spring was intended to be Barker's chance to win the 2018 quarterback job. But that is no longer the case, since Barker hasn't been able to keep himself in a position of advantage. Now April is a competition between Barker and Hoak, with Clark having a real chance to beat both of them out if he is ready from day 1. By enrolling in January, Williams would also have been in the competition. That doesn't mean anyone else was being "recruited over". Signing the best available players and creating competition for starting jobs is what successful programs do every year.

Reactions: catben
It only took Hinshaw a short time to find SJ, so I'd say he is already searching the JC schools for a candidate. I'd take another SJ in a heartbeat.
This year we'll have 3-4 QB's returning with a year+ in the program. Last year we had one. Hence the JC emphasis last.

I realize high school rankings are very subjective, but who was considered the better prospect, Hoak or Clark ?

ADVERTISEMENT