ADVERTISEMENT

It's not the decommit, it's the lies....

TheySoSensitive

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2012
Telling Matt Jones you are not looking at Nebraska at all anymore, but would be open to UL if Brohm went there was bad. Tweeting a bunch of UK stuff while seemingly talking to Nebraska the entire time behind the scenes is not a good look either. Accepting the Ky Mr. Football award and schmoozing with Stoops is just a slap in the face. Yesterday around 4 he did an interview and claimed to be recruiting guys to UK([laughing]). If you aren't sure, then push your commitment date back. Really not that hard to do. This recruitment was handled extremely poorly by Robinson, it's not the decommit that people are so upset about, it's all of the lies and deception around the whole thing.

Telling Matt Jones you are not looking at Nebraska at all anymore, but would be open to UL if Brohm went there was bad. Tweeting a bunch of UK stuff while seemingly talking to Nebraska the entire time behind the scenes is not a good look either. Accepting the Ky Mr. Football award and schmoozing with Stoops is just a slap in the face. Yesterday around 4 he did an interview and claimed to be recruiting guys to UK([laughing]). If you aren't sure, then push your commitment date back. Really not that hard to do. This recruitment was handled extremely poorly by Robinson, it's not the decommit that people are so upset about, it's all of the lies and deception around the whole thing.

I don’t know. I’ve read quite a few posts on this board that says you’re illogical for being angry about our best recruit decommiting in a really shady fashion. You just need to cool it and go with the flow. I’ve read a lot of posts saying that “one recruit doesn’t change the direction of this program”. Don’t worry, be happy. It’s not like we needed him (according to a lot people on here).

All this tells me Robinson is a head case and we are better off without him being a cancer in the locker room. Would love to have his athletic ability, but if it comes with attitude problems then move on. Wait and see, first time Frost criticizes anything he does he will bail on Nebraska too. Lots of great athletes out there, you don't need one that will be a problem. Just like Damien Harris, this was all about attention and twitter hits for Wandale, and he was never really interested in UK. You could tell that with every interview. Hedged his bets every time.

Been to Lincoln a bunch, and every time I see it on my schedule I groan. Nothing there but a decent stadium, the Natural History Museum on Campus, the State Capitol, and Honest Abe's burgers....

Hope he gets there in time to enjoy the arctic conditions in January and February. Have fun Wandale.

I don’t know. I’ve read quite a few posts on this board that says you’re illogical for being angry about our best recruit decommiting in a really shady fashion. You just need to cool it and go with the flow. I’ve read a lot of posts saying that “one recruit doesn’t change the direction of this program”. Don’t worry, be happy. It’s not like we needed him (according to a lot people on here).

You totally missed the point OP was making, and many have an issue with.

NO one wanted to lose him as a commit, but if you think he changes the direction of the program again you're way off track. UK was and is moving forward as a program before he was ever a commit. Would he have helped, sure he could have. But this doesn't derail UK like you're trying to make it out to be.

The kid is a liar, he lied to the media, UK coaches, fans, and other recruits if he really was speaking with them.

Actually this 18 year old played the fan base, coaching staff, his high school classmates and supporters like an "old fiddle" and maybe his parents. When you look back at his strategy he was able to essentially finish high school as Kentucky's Mr Football and get all sorts of accolades and congrats from the Frankfort Community before revealing his "true" plan, but I think Frost and Company knew what the end result was going to be the entire time and went along with it.

I am pretty sure his parents were not in on the secret and in fact very much wanted him to stay in Central Kentucky. What parent would not want this ! They will see very few of his games now that he is 1500 miles away. And can you imagine how they might be now treated in the Frankfort Community at large as opposed to what could have been. So something definitely wrong with the Robinson family dynamic.

And it is unlikely he will ever play in the NFL given his short stature. So he will have to adopt Nebraska as his permanent home as there will not be the usual employment opportunities available to UK athletes upon graduation in the state of Kentucky. In fact no one in Kentucky will even remember who he is in three or four years since we will see no news coverage and no TV coverage. At least Damien Harris will play on Sundays and we see his games quite often given the fact he is playing for the best football program in the country. That is not the case for Nebraska and as long as Ohio State and Michigan are around Nebraska will be relegated to the middle of the pack in the Big 10

Another who misses the reason BBN fans are upset.

The way he lied through the process after he committed, you know what never mind some reading and understanding skills just aren't there.

No, to be fair the guy has a point. I think it is perfectly acceptable to be mad at the way Robinson handled this situation. However, there are many, such as Doc4UK in this thread, who are now downplaying Robinson's abilities and his future and claiming that he really isn't even that good. Well, if they really believed that then they shouldn't be upset. So, does make sense to slam his handling of the situation (which is what OP did), but not to now downplay the guy's abilities.

No, to be fair the guy has a point. I think it is perfectly acceptable to be mad at the way Robinson handled this situation. However, there are many, such as Doc4UK in this thread, who are now downplaying Robinson's abilities and his future and claiming that he really isn't even that good. Well, if they really believed that then they shouldn't be upset. So, does make sense to slam his handling of the situation (which is what OP did), but not to now downplay the guy's abilities.

Agree you can't now down grade his abilities, it's a hit to lose him.

But my disappointment is regarding how he handle this. I was sticking with the OP's original posting.

Agree you can't now down grade his abilities, it's a hit to lose him.

But my disappointment is regarding how he handle this. I was sticking with the OP's original posting.

I know. I think, but could be wrong, that UKWildcats#8 was probably responding moreso to the person above him, who was slamming Robinson and saying he'd never play in the NFL and would be forgotten.

You totally missed the point OP was making, and many have an issue with.

NO one wanted to lose him as a commit, but if you think he changes the direction of the program again you're way off track. UK was and is moving forward as a program before he was ever a commit. Would he have helped, sure he could have. But this doesn't derail UK like you're trying to make it out to be.

The kid is a liar, he lied to the media, UK coaches, fans, and other recruits if he really was speaking with them.
I agree, no reason for someone to do what he did. Maybe we dodged a bullet as he certainly has a character issue. We can do better

You care to elaborate, peaked my curiosity. Heard some rumblings but maybe tell us who were the players in this.

People who make statements like that rarely have any idea.

Remember when the OSU fans said Bowden was a ? because of suspected gang activity? Feels like the same kinda thing.

Reactions: SeveCat
I really wanted Wandale Robinson, BUT we will be fine without him. Tisdale will be a good player coming in. We got AJ Rose, Tavin Richardson, Josh Ali, Lynn Bowden all for next year. I like that group of skill positions. Dont get me wrong, i wanted to add WR to that group, but he is not going to break us. If he had committed to Nebraska from the get go, i wouldnt be upset at all. If i had a son who was an all american and he didnt want to play at UK, that would be fine. What I was upset about is how he committed to us. He did interviews saying he was 100% committed to UK, he was recruiting guys to UK, that Nebraska was OUT and not an option, that he was going yo graduate early and enroll in January. I would even understand if he did this interview after his original commitment, but this cane out of his mouth less then 24 hours before his decommittment. He was saying this after rumors were going around that he was going to flip. The fact is, He led us on. Im not mad for the fanbase. Im mad for the coaching staff who was given reassurance for him.

People like to compare this to terrence Jones. But i would rather of had WR commit and decommitt in the same day, than to play us all the way up to 2 weeks until signing day. Maybe a recruit spurned UK, because WR was coming here.

Im not mad at Damien Harris for going to Alabama. Im not mad at the Herron kid, ranked higher than Wandale, going to stanford, im not mad at milton wright for going to purdue. None of them played UK, none of them lied to Stoops. This all could have been avoided.

That said, i hope he fails at Nebraska. I hope he eventually transfers to a WKU type school and i hope he never plays on sundays. Im not going to wish him well.

So basically the guy is overrated, no good, has a bad attitude...so why are people even upset?
Being played is why most are upset. Embarrassing our state with a Mr. Football then he selects current dump like Nebraska when the entire state is literally behind UK and this magical year. OUR FANS WANT CONTINUITY. We don’t want to go back to the cellar. We’ve had a taste of real success and we want more.

Exactly...and stating that you're just "following your heart" and "doing what's best for you" doesn't justify poor character. There are consequences to your decisions and you're not entitled to support from Kentucky when you go to Nebraska just because you're from Kentucky.

It was handled about as poorly as it possibly could’ve been.

With that being said, I wish the kid the best of luck. If he didn’t want to be here, I sure as Hell don’t want him here.

Reactions: BlueTick2
I'm not upset at the kid bc you have to do what's best for you but there is no reason to handle it like he did. I somewhat get coaches flat out lying about leaving for other jobs bc if it falls through and you don't leave, you could lose recruits being 100% honest but for recruits, they just need to be honest. If you're 100%, just don't do interviews. Say you're enjoying the process. Don't talk about how you're enrolling in two weeks, and you're recruiting for the school if you aren't. Kind of pointless.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
I know. I think, but could be wrong, that UKWildcats#8 was probably responding moreso to the person above him, who was slamming Robinson and saying he'd never play in the NFL and would be forgotten.
At his size I think the chances of him playing g in the NFL are slim...may do well in a second tier division like Nub plays in, but the NFL is a different animal.

Another bad thing is, at least according to KSR, our coaches did not know he had flipped until it was announced. So, he didn't even have enough class to call our coaches first.

Reactions: ukgrad2004
I agree, no reason for someone to do what he did. Maybe we dodged a bullet as he certainly has a character issue. We can do better
Cmon guys. He doesnt have a character issue, he has an 18 year old issue. It was very clear that UK not his first choice all along, never was. He fell in love with Frost and had his sites set on going there a long time ago we were his in a group of his second choices all along. He told you the reason he committed and that's because of the pressure of his family, friends and fans to stay home so he did. But his heart was never in it. Just exactly like Terrance Jones.

You could feel the torment on Terrance's face the second he put on the Washington cap and I think Wandale had the same exact feeling. I think he hoped after committing that would change and he would fall in love with his commitment and that's why he continued to "play along" and say and tweet the right things. He wasnt trying to "Play" the fans for anything, what would he gain from that. He's just 18 with the expectation of an entire fanbase around so whenever he is asked about it what would you say in that spot . . . "Well truthfully I'm having some big time regrets and second thoughts!"?

Like others my initial thought was, well then why didnt he just wait until he knew for sure. But after thinking about it the answer to that is, it wouldn't have mattered how long he put if off of when he did it, nothing would have changed. The pressure to stay home would still have been just as strong later if not more so closer to signing day so if he still had his heart set on Nebraska he would have been in the same spot. The tough decision was not going to go away. He still really liked Nebraska, the BBN and family really wanted him to stay home. It really was a case of Terrence Jones and I think it's as simple as that.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Cmon guys. He doesnt have a character issue, he has an 18 year old issue. It was very clear that UK not his first choice all along, never was. He fell in love with Frost and had his sites set on going there a long time ago we were his in a group of his second choices all along. He told you the reason he committed and that's because of the pressure of his family, friends and fans to stay home so he did. But his heart was never in it. Just exactly like Terrance Jones.

You could feel the torment on Terrance's face the second he put on the Washington cap and I think Wandale had the same exact feeling. I think he hoped after committing that would change and he would fall in love with his commitment and that's why he continued to "play along" and say and tweet the right things. He wasnt trying to "Play" the fans for anything, what would he gain from that. He's just 18 with the expectation of an entire fanbase around so whenever he is asked about it what would you say in that spot . . . "Well truthfully I'm having some big time regrets and second thoughts!"?

Like others my initial thought was, well then why didnt he just wait until he knew for sure. But after thinking about it the answer to that is, it wouldn't have mattered how long he put if off of when he did it, nothing would have changed. The pressure to stay home would still have been just as strong later if not more so closer to signing day so if he still had his heart set on Nebraska he would have been in the same spot. The tough decision was not going to go away. He still really liked Nebraska, the BBN and family really wanted him to stay home. It really was a case of Terrence Jones and I think it's as simple as that.

If you're old enough to enlist in the military you're old enough to grow a pair of balls and stop lying to everyone around you.

The "he's just a teenager" excuse is BS. Maybe he'll learn to develop some character in the frozen tundra of forgotten football.

If the worst thing he does in life is decommit from school as a high school student, then I think he has a fantastic chance of being a very fine person.

Every kid that "commits" to a school before leaving it for another school "lied." Kids lie. Adults lie.

At his size I think the chances of him playing g in the NFL are slim...may do well in a second tier division like Nub plays in, but the NFL is a different animal.

That is fine if you believed that all along. However, we do not need to slam the kid's talent merely because we're mad at him. Yes, he acted extremely immature and poorly, but we wanted him here because he is talented. So, it makes no sense to now slam that talent. If he wasn't talented then our coaching staff wouldn't have spent that much time on him to begin with.

If the worst thing he does in life is decommit from school as a high school student, then I think he has a fantastic chance of being a very fine person.

Every kid that "commits" to a school before leaving it for another school "lied." Kids lie. Adults lie.

He didn't just decommit. That happens all the time and is frustrating, but it isn't a huge deal. He literally had an interview hours before the rumors swirled where he stated that he was enrolling at UK in 2 weeks. He didn't just change his mind in a matter of a few hours. He knew at the time of the interview that he wasn't going to enroll at UK in 2 weeks, so he didn't need to say it. He did anyway.

That being said, it doesn't make him the scum of the earth, but it definitely was a lie and definitely was a shitty thing to do.

Last edited:
He didn't just commit. That happens all the time and is frustrating, but it isn't a huge deal. He literally had an interview hours before the rumors swirled where he stated that he was enrolling at UK in 2 weeks. He didn't just change his mind in a matter of a few hours. He knew at the time of the interview that he wasn't going to enroll at UK in 2 weeks, so he didn't need to say it. He did anyway.

That being said, it doesn't make him the scum of the earth, but it definitely was a lie and definitely was a shitty thing to do.
He's a kid. I don't think he knew what he was going to do, as he was still looking for approval from those close to him. But I don't know what was going through the head of a HS kid. No one does. Perhaps the kid acted immaturely. I kind of expect that from...kids. Yet we have ADULTS slamming him, slamming his character, wishing him failure...that kind of maturity should not be expected from adults.

He's a kid. I don't think he knew what he was going to do, as he was still looking for approval from those close to him. But I don't know what was going through the head of a HS kid. No one does. Perhaps the kid acted immaturely. I kind of expect that from...kids. Yet we have ADULTS slamming him, slamming his character, wishing him failure...that kind of maturity should not be expected from adults.

Uh NO if he didn't know than don't commit and then proceed to lie every chance you get.....all the way to the time he decommits. He knew what he was doing, stop with the he's just 18 BS.

You're making a lot of assumptions in order to excuse his behavior. He is an adult. He is not a kid. I'm curious if you have the same view of people who have lied directly to your face. Do you find reasons to excuse their behavior? Does your opinion of them stay the same after the lie? I'm very skeptical that anyone doesn't let someone lying to them affect how they think of that person's character. He is old enough to know better and he is old enough to take responsibility for lying about his intentions a few hours before committing to Nebraska.

I don't see anything wrong with holding him accountable for his actions. That's the only thing that changes people's behavior.

Uh NO if he didn't know than don't commit and then proceed to lie every chance you get.....all the way to the time he decommits. He knew what he was doing, stop with the he's just 18 BS.
Yeah, I was 17 when I went in the military. Didn't take but a few hours to realize I'd made a mistake. That I wasn't military material. But I made a four year commitment and had to stick with it. So, I agree with you. Don't give me the hes only 18 bs.

Yeah, I was 17 when I went in the military. Didn't take but a few hours to realize I'd made a mistake. That I wasn't military material. But I made a four year commitment and had to stick with it. So, I agree with you. Don't give me the hes only 18 bs.
Thank you for your commitment and service.

The lies? Do you really think the lies have all been one way? Every successful staff feels kids out and tells them what they think they want to hear, UGA's, UK's, Bama's, everyone of them. If they don't their recruiting is ranked above 50. Sure it stings to lose one of the top kids on your commitment list but he isn't the only one who has something that might not have been 100% true. Many of you take this recruiting way to personal.

ADVERTISEMENT