ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the most overrated recruiting class in Kentucky Basketball History?

Aug 7, 2004
In my lifetime following the Cats we have never had a class so highly rated that did so little. Askew is just not good. Boston may be the most overrated recruit in the Cal error and Clarke when healthy was way over hyped as well. Jackson was better than we thought and Ware was decent. Fletcher was not good either.
Either this class as a whole just didn’t have great talent or the recruiting experts were way off.

This may be the most overrated recruiting class ever at any school. well since the rankings started.

The only other class I can think of that didn’t come even close to living up to the hype was the freshman class in the 84-85 season.

Cedric Jenkins - Parade AA & McDonalds AA
Richard Madison - Parade AA & McDonalds AA
Rob Lock - Parade AA
Ed Davender - Parade AA & McDonalds AA

Only Davender sniffed all SEC (2nd team twice) and they played a combined 16 seasons at UK.

The only other class I can think of that didn’t come even close to living up to the hype was the freshman class in the 84-85 season.

Rob Lock - Parade AA

Only Davender sniffed all SEC (2nd team twice) and they played a combined 16 seasons at UK.
Great post. Davender turned out to be an all time great but the other 3 were pretty much busts.

In my lifetime following the Cats we have never had a class so highly rated that did so little. Askew is just not good. Boston may be the most overrated recruit in the Cal error and Clarke when healthy was way over hyped as well. Jackson was better than we thought and Ware was decent. Fletcher was not good either.
Either this class as a whole just didn’t have great talent or the recruiting experts were way off.
I’d have to agree.

I would say no considering they were at a disadvantage with the pandemic. The recruiting evaluators do seem to misjudge the talent for whatever reason.

Barring the miracle run by Aaron Harrison, the Randle class was looking that way. Although I will say all of those guys ended up being good or really good college players and Randle was a stud. But the hype around that class was insane.

But the combination of pedigree versus results definitely makes this one the most overrated.

Reactions: ashbergh
Probably not fair to speculate since Clarke played so little. February may have seen a different team with him.

HIstory will not look at this group fondly. Fans will lose their minds when 3 of them bolt for the draft.

I remember a lot of people on here that if Sarr were to be declared eligible that he was the missing piece in a championship team. He really looked like a savior, didn't he ?
Yep, I was one of those. No problem in admitting that. Couldn't have been more wrong.

Another interesting crew to throw out there. The guys that were freshman in 87-88. It didn’t pan out for obvious reasons:

Eric Manual
Leron Ellis
Sean Sutton
Reggie Hanson

I'm not a fan of Calipari by any means and he's had some great recruiting classes and a few have not lived up to expectations but 1 class that comes to my mind that wasn't Cals but was Tubby's is that 2004 that was ranked #1.
Randolph Morris
Rajon Rondo
Joe Crawford
Ramel Bradley
Patrick Sparks
Adam Williams

yes but if cal gave a shit about building a roster it would not be this big of a kulsterfuk.
this is not on the players it on cals crazy mission.

Reactions: law1127

Rob Lock - Parade AA

The Master Blaster and Rob Lock were certianly busts, I think this class was the worst as only Daveder became a star. If current class stayed 4 years at least 3 of them would be stars.

Reactions: RunninRichie
This is the weakest crop of freshman I’ve ever seen. Across the board. Not just here at ky. Who’s the best player in the class even? Is it Cunningham? I’m not even sure

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT