ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a Bill Walton fan club?

He sucks. Incredibly biased for PAC 10 teams. And he says stuff that is just wrong. Listening to him is like listening to Harry Cary at the end of his career, where he was so drunk he had no idea what he was saying.

I like his awkwardness. He's a national treasure and I enjoy his randomness. If you don't like it, simple, change the damn channel. If you played a drinking game for every time he says "Conference of Champions" or "Please" during one broadcast, you'd be in the hospital of alcohol poisoning.

Reactions: mj2k10 and GG24
I like him in part because I’m a Blazers fan but his commentary is unique and hilarious, would love if he did SEC

Love listening to Bill. He has more fun announcing a game than any announcer. Also when I am listening to him doing a game that means I don't have to listen to that sorry ass Duke cheerleader bilas.

I'm beginning to like him. Could you see him and Dicky V together ? :)
They did an NBA game this year. It was a Pacers/Cavs game when ESPN has their annual crossover of NBA/College Basketball announcers go do games for the other sport. Still have it on my DVR. Probably will happen again this season so be on the lookout so you can see it. I remember right before halftime he almost asked to use the restroom on air before catching himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildcatwelder
As I said before, the talent at ESPN is on a downward spiral. Walton is a comedian who wants you to do as he says, not as he does.
Saying that, if that moves JockItch and Mike Patrick and Bilas away earshot, I'm in for it. I'd rather listen to LaPhonso praising Aaron Boone than listen the those 3.

Unless he is working a UK game I'll never hear him, but I sure liked him as a player at UCLA and in the pros.

Reactions: musrat59
Bill is funny, but you have to be in the right mood for him.

I'm not sure he's serious more than 20% of the time.
I def think he is always in a playful manner when he says things. I really enjoy listening to the madness

I thoroughly enjoy joy him. He's zany, he'll be a great replacement for Vitale.

He's not an ACC homer, no ace to grind with Kentucky, isn't the same vanilla commentator time and time again.

Dude is incredibly entertaining, best guy to listen to during a non-UK game

Love him. Spent my first 12 years in Portland and was there the year we won it all. (Blazers) it was amazing

Walton epitomizes all that is wrong with ESPN. He's is simply the worst. Rattles on and on about any and everything except the game he's calling. Comes off as incredibly biased against any but "The Conference of Champions"...(yeah, Bill when was the last title in a major money sport?) and always trumpets his tree-hugging, stoned hippie agendas. The fact that ESPN keeps him on the air says more about that network than any of the nonsensical blabber that come from him.

Heard Bill Walton many times during games he broadcasts refer to Kentucky as the "Gold Standard" of college basketball.

Last edited:
I'm totally in. He's at least funny when it comes to talking about stuff completely outside of the game, unlike Jay Bilas and the other commentators that we've had on ESPN for the last two weeks..

1071836116253-1.jpg

Yes, but................

I love the internet. Always find people to not like someone.

I will say it again, I love listening to Bill. I would rather listen him talk about mountains, volcanos, and Ukraine than listen to those other announcers tell me 50 times a game tell me how great duke is. As far as the game I can watch and make my own opinion about that, and still listen to Bill talk about all the other stuff. The only thing I didn't like about Bill was when he mentioned wooden, the biggest cheater in the history of the game, yes even bigger cheat than north Carolina, and how could Bill possibly mention wooden without also bring up sam gilbert, because wooden wouldn't have been shit.

Bill Walton is the gold standard of basketball analysts.

In fact, I find the actual game he's doing to be a distraction to me.

Sometimes I will put a sheet over the screen, so the game won't distract me from being able to hear what he's saying.

Reactions: fla.cat
He's all over the place. Last time I made the mistake of tuning him in, he was on a Liberal rant. Who tunes into a basketball game to listen to a California Liberal burnout? Not me.

ADVERTISEMENT