ADVERTISEMENT

Is Terry Wilson injured or is there something else going on?

Agree with all of this but strongly agree with the last paragraph...Gran hasn’t done him any favors with his play calling.

If he is playing scared (he is, timid as hell), and his heart is not into it (obviously not), WTF is Gran suppose to call for him ? He is calling the same EXACT plays he did when Terry won 10 games, now Terry is not making plays. HMMM, I bet his heart is not in it. Not Gran changed plays on him. GTFO here with blaming a OC for a kid who has doubts and coming off a very bad injury and is just not getting the job done. Everybody wants to blame coaches for bad shit, credit players for good results. Well are you a student of the game enough to know the difference in if it is a execution thing, or a play call thing ? I am. Terry is NOT getting it done. His biggest strength was running. He can't even do that now. How can Gran screw up a play call where Terry can't run it ? He can't, Terry is timid, can't read a defense in the RPO, and runs out of bounds or slides. ALL things pointing to the QB, not the play caller, Gran Didn't slide or run out of bounds 3 yards short.

I appreciate everything Terry has done, great kid, but if your heart is not into anymore, that is ok, really. But do yourself and the team a favor, walk away. Maybe stay and be a team leader, but playing QB,,, no.

The 'X" factor what was there last year is not there this year. Now a person could conclude the "X" factor is/was Bowden and to some extent that would be correct but the mentality is gone with everybody it seems. To me that suggests there is a significant lack of leadership on this team. The kind of leadership that people like Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Randal Cobb, Wesley Woodyard brought to the team.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago there was enough leadership on the team to end a 36 year streak at Tennessee. Granted Tennessee is not the team they used to be, but beating them down there by 27 points after shutting down Mississippi State's high octane offense the previous week has to count for something.

Something has happened to this team in the last two weeks that has taken the steam and the starch out of it.

Two weeks ago there was enough leadership on the team to end a 36 year streak at Tennessee. Granted Tennessee is not the team they used to be, but beating them down there by 27 points after shutting down Mississippi State's high octane offense the previous week has to count for something.

Something has happened to this team in the last two weeks that has taken the steam and the starch out of it.
That is exactly when you need leadership. Handling the good times is one thing but overcoming hard times is what leadership is all about.

Both games were dominated by UK defense. The offense at UT was middling at best.

It helps when the defense spots you 14 points and good field position a few more times. Our offense didn’t win that game, it was the defense.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Would TW's reluctance have affected any of the playcalling this season, i.e., quick screens so he doesn't take a hit

I think it effected playcalling, just in a much different way. Early in the season we tried using some of the bowden wrinkles from last year. Terry tiptoed through every hole. Has on anything besides to the edge, and even then he looks to go out of bounds asap. Against UT his long run should've absolutely been a TD. Instead....he just walked out of bounds at the 5.

Add in the major inconsistency in throwing, and it's really restricting our offense

It was as though they had received bad news about the health of a loved one shortly before the game.

I hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Johnfarrel
Against UT his long run should've absolutely been a TD. Instead....he just walked out of bounds at the 5.

In fairness, he was hemmed in pretty good. Bowden and Lamar Jackson would have shifted hard-right, and scored, but those able and willing to cut across the grain, are pretty rare.

Reactions: TIE543
If Terry Wilson had not come back this year we would have gone into the Auburn game with a true freshman as our starter. Gatewood gained his eligibility for the Ole Miss. game but there was no guarantee of that before the season started. I wonder if Terry was convinced to come back because of this when his heart really wasn’t in it?

In fairness, he was hemmed in pretty good. Bowden and Lamar Jackson would have shifted hard-right, and scored, but those able and willing to cut across the grain, are pretty rare.

May be. But being that close with that angle and a blocker, I can't endorse casually running out of bounds

I feel like the coaching staff told TW that Joey would be getting the majority of 1st team practice reps from this point moving forward.
TW got his feelings hurt and doesn’t want to practice.
TW had plenty of opportunities to learn the offense and improve but it just hasn’t happened. He’s handicapped the playbook with his inability to see reads.
I appreciate his work and has accomplished some good things as a starter but his time has come and gone.

Reactions: The-Hack and rolaid
It seems odd, if true, that the staff had to convince him to come back and then have been hell-bent on giving him all the PT. If the kid's heart isn't into it, that's fine. But, move on. Get both JG and BA ready ASAP. If you're not mentally focused and motivated to play a violent sport like football, it's probably in everyone's best interest to not play. No hard feelings. He's worked hard, had some really good moments, had some rough times, suffered a horrible injury, worked his way back. If he's just not 'there' mentally, that's nothing to be upset about or ashamed of. I wish him the best but also wish the staff had recognized that he wasn't in the right mindset to perform at a level we needed and moved on.

I wonder if AJ is in a similar mindset, honestly. While never a physical runner, he just doesn't seem to be 'with it' and really into the game much of the time.

Would TW's reluctance have affected any of the playcalling this season, i.e., quick screens so he doesn't take a hit?
This is just a wierd season overall, I can see where a lot of kids minds and hearts are just not into it. Very few fans in the stands, always worrying about the protocols, the shortened season, no gimme games to let loose and have fun. For older guys who've been around a while, I can see where this season is a drag.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT