ADVERTISEMENT

Is Terry Wilson injured or is there something else going on?

rockout1

Sophomore
Oct 21, 2012
Seems strange that he’s missed two days of practice with an injury but didn’t appear to get hurt during the game. My guess is something else is going on in that situation.

I think there is turmoil on This team. I think this team lacks the gritty leaders that we’ve had the last few years. You’ve seen it come out a lot on Twitter this year, the awful discipline mistakes in the first 2 games, teammates not helping Joseph up or having his back when he was getting chirped by the whole Mizzou sideline after getting trucked etc.

Someone mentioned in the game thread or quickly thereafter that he wasn't as interested in FB. If that is true ... that is okay, there is a lot of things to do in life and not all of it revolves around the pigskin (weird...). His future is not in the NFL (purely IMHO), so if he is ready to move on, then we should all wish him the best and thank him for helping our program. He will always be fondly remembered for ending the streak in the swamp.

Well let’s see. He either can’t make the read on the option or the coaches don’t think he can read it. Also the coaches don’t trust him him to know where the lb’s are In the middle of the field enough to call a slant. So imma say that’s what’s going on.

Dont forget right before the season he made a reference to not playing this year and just taking care of his family. When everyone freaked out, he came out and clarified he was with the team. He was just worried as a parent or something to that affect. Maybe his heart isn't in it anymore. I can't blame him. Theres more important stuff than sports.

Dont forget right before the season he made a reference to not playing this year and just taking care of his family. When everyone freaked out, he came out and clarified he was with the team. He was just worried as a parent or something to that affect. Maybe his heart isn't in it anymore. I can't blame him. Theres more important stuff than sports.
Really? What? Link?

• Haha
Reactions: wildcatwelder
I think there is turmoil on This team. I think this team lacks the gritty leaders that we’ve had the last few years. You’ve seen it come out a lot on Twitter this year, the awful discipline mistakes in the first 2 games, teammates not helping Joseph up or having his back when he was getting chirped by the whole Mizzou sideline after getting trucked etc.
Said it since week 1... and then said it again when ol dude got run down trying to showtime into the end zone...

This team has no backbone. I bet their practices and workouts lack intensity. They're soft. They don't have LBJ or Kash or Benny to keep them focused. I can't see someone trying that stupid shit if those guys were on the team, especially after fumbling it.

Let Gatewood take over and let it rip.

I think he's just done with football. I think he almost didn't play this year because he's just ready to move on with life. You could tell last game he was running the ball and afraid of getting hurt.

I get it. He's well older than most players. He doesn't have an nfl future.

If so, he earned it. He did a ton of things for us I never thought I'd see. Actually I respect him more for admitting his heart just isn't in it rather than cashing it in the rest of the season

Yea before the year when he was considering not playing because he just had a baby my worst fear about this team was his head not being in the game, understandably. I don’t know if he’s not 100 percent recovered from the injury or his head is not in the game but he has not looked right all year. Plus his mom has been chirping on social media so it seems like there’s some drama off the field.

Last edited:
I think he's just done with football. I think he almost didn't play this year because he's just ready to move on with life. You could tell last game he was running the ball and afraid of getting hurt.

I get it. He's well older than most players. He doesn't have an nfl future.

If so, he earned it. He did a ton of things for us I never thought I'd see. Actually I respect him more for admitting his heart just isn't in it rather than cashing it in the rest of the season

KSR reporting minor hand injury

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Someone mentioned in the game thread or quickly thereafter that he wasn't as interested in FB. If that is true ... that is okay, there is a lot of things to do in life and not all of it revolves around the pigskin (weird...). His future is not in the NFL (purely IMHO), so if he is ready to move on, then we should all wish him the best and thank him for helping our program. He will always be fondly remembered for ending the streak in the swamp.
Did his girlfriend not just have a baby this past week? Fatherhood may be scaring him into thinking about his long term future.

Does seem odd that nobody mentioned an “injury” until questions about QB #1 surfaced.
I agree. I just don’t think someone has an injury significant enough to miss practice on Monday & Tuesday that wasn’t even mentioned on Saturday or Sunday. As I mentioned earlier I heard earlier today he was/has going to leave the team and no longer play but I’m also aware that things can change.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Terry seems like a great kid & try's hard & wants to do well but he's a frustrating player to watch because he so much looks the part. He's a good looking athlete, he runs well, has good form & throws a nice ball. He looks like he should be a play maker & force to be reckoned with ..... so he generates big expectations from folks but for some reason can't seem to show that potential very often.

IMO it is simply because he lacks the ability to react my play with the quick response necessary. He does everything at a medium to slow speed. He is slow to carry out the read options & play action fakes necessary to move the defense a step and get people open. He is slow to take off. Then he is slow to read and react to the routes and open receivers. Don't Misunderstand, he's not a slow athlete, he's just slow to react, always a beat late it seems. & in the SEC that beat he is missing is the difference in getting his back th step they need out of the backfield to hit the whole, or to scramble for the first down, or to play fake & hold the LB enough to get his WR a window to get open. He just seems to lack that quick twitch great athlete have & makes him play game speed like an ahtlete half what he really is.

That said I dont think Gran helps him at all with his pay calling & doesn't call to his strengths or away from his weekness by almost completely abandon the short passing game, & set timing routes.

Terry seems like a great kid & try's hard & wants to do well but he's a frustrating player to watch because he so much looks the part. He's a good looking athlete, he runs well, has good form & throws a nice ball. He looks like he should be a play maker & force to be reckoned with ..... so he generates big expectations from folks but for some reason can't seem to show that potential very often.

IMO it is simply because he lacks the ability to react my play with the quick response necessary. He does everything at a medium to slow speed. He is slow to carry out the read options & play action fakes necessary to move the defense a step and get people open. He is slow to take off. Then he is slow to read and react to the routes and open receivers. Don't Misunderstand, he's not a slow athlete, he's just slow to react, always a beat late it seems. & in the SEC that beat he is missing is the difference in getting his back th step they need out of the backfield to hit the whole, or to scramble for the first down, or to play fake & hold the LB enough to get his WR a window to get open. He just seems to lack that quick twitch great athlete have & makes him play game speed like an ahtlete half what he really is.

That said I dont think Gran helps him at all with his pay calling & doesn't call to his strengths or away from his weekness by almost completely abandon the short passing game, & set timing routes.
Agree with all of this but strongly agree with the last paragraph...Gran hasn’t done him any favors with his play calling.

This isn't 1965 when you just run off to the factory and get a job to support your family. The best thing Terry could do for his kid would be to stick it out playing football for UK. The name recognition will do wonders for him.

I still find it very funny people said Joseph got trucked. It wasn’t like he didn’t lay a hard ass hit on Rountree, rountree is just bigger and had more balance. Joseph made it known he was there

He hinted at opting out anyway.. Probably doesn't want to go through QB controversy and I couldn't imagine it being much fun playing in this offense. It's the equivalent of four corners basketball.

Chalk TW up to another victim of the QB/passing game Bermuda triangle that is the UK offense under Coach Mark GranShaw.

There will be a CNBC "American Greed" or 60 minutes special on it one day. Not because money disappeared, but QB, WR, talent, stats, overall production did.

Last edited:
Yea before the year when he was considering not playing because he just had a baby my worst fear about this team was his head not being in the game, understandably. I don’t know if he’s not 100 percent recovered from the injury or his head is not in the game but he has not looked right all year. Plus his mom has been chirping on social media so it seems like there’s some drama off the field.

I think his mom is sensitive to the criticism she sees online. I understand. It can't be easy as a parent. Especially when there is alot of unfair criticism out there.

KSR reporting minor hand injury

I saw that but not buying it. We'd heard that Sunday or Monday if it were true. Plus that wouldn't completely hold him out of practice

Reactions: Mojocat
Agree with all of this but strongly agree with the last paragraph...Gran hasn’t done him any favors with his play calling.

As gran showed last season, there really couldn't be a better play caller for someone of Terry's ability and limitation.

His biggest threat was as a runner. But he doesn't read the option well, at all, and he is too light creating durability issues.

He's inconsistent as a passer and is hesitant to throw the ball until he's certain the player is open. The low throw to Ali last week was a perfect example. He pumped when he should've thrown, then by the time he threw it was too late.

When he's throwing the ball well, he's productive. Unfortunately that's only about every 2-3 games.

I mean if he doesn’t want to be here and play that’s fine. I appreciate his time but there’s too many dudes out there busting their butts for us to have a QB in there giving a half-hearted effort. You can tell the coaches don’t trust him to throw the ball and it’s costing us games. Gatewood is just as good and has a higher ceiling IMO. Stick him in there and let him get comfortable in the offense. Love ya Terry, but this is big time SEC football, not little league.

There isn't anyone anywhere with any hint TW left the team. Only people on this board whos mom's accountant's barber told their Uber driver.

Reactions: TeoJ
If these rumors are true about TW leaving the team, then many folks on this forum are getting their wish. Gatewood will start and those folks should be thrilled. But that doesn't mean having Gatewood as the starting QB fixes everything.

Well, it fixes something.

Now if AJ moves down the depth chart a couple spots, it fixes more.

Terry wasn't ready to play this year, or something. I swear he threw the ball away on 4th down once this year, and multiple times on 3rd down. He routinely runs OOB a yard short of the sticks. Does not like contact one bit. It's been rough, but I love Terry and I would build a statue of that kid for what he's been a part of here. I will never forget what he did to UF in the swamp.

Joey has to be chomping at the bit to get out there. He's 6'5 250# and hard to tackle. Lets get it on.

Terry's also gotta be banged up real good considering he's our leading rusher and he's been rocked in 5 SEC games so far. He's taken a full season of punishment in short time. He really got crushed on his shoulder last game and came up looking hurt. The kid has given a lot to this program, and I respect the hell out of him. It's just time to move on right now.

If your hearts not in it and you can see that you don’t have a future career in FB, I think there comes a point where you say “Why am I still doing this? My body doesn’t need the punishment.”

Terry just helped break a long streak at Tennessee. Maybe he feels he’s accomplished what he wanted to do. Also threw a beautiful TD in one of his last collegiate passes...that’s all my conjecture.

I cannot imagine he has pro aspirations. He really ought to be able to see how talented he is. And he is no NFL qback.

It seems odd, if true, that the staff had to convince him to come back and then have been hell-bent on giving him all the PT. If the kid's heart isn't into it, that's fine. But, move on. Get both JG and BA ready ASAP. If you're not mentally focused and motivated to play a violent sport like football, it's probably in everyone's best interest to not play. No hard feelings. He's worked hard, had some really good moments, had some rough times, suffered a horrible injury, worked his way back. If he's just not 'there' mentally, that's nothing to be upset about or ashamed of. I wish him the best but also wish the staff had recognized that he wasn't in the right mindset to perform at a level we needed and moved on.

I wonder if AJ is in a similar mindset, honestly. While never a physical runner, he just doesn't seem to be 'with it' and really into the game much of the time.

Would TW's reluctance have affected any of the playcalling this season, i.e., quick screens so he doesn't take a hit?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
ADVERTISEMENT