ADVERTISEMENT

Is OAD officially over in 2021?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
I know Silver has been sounding off, but do you think there's any chance he reneges or capitulates to owners?

I reread his reasons for erasing OAD and I still don't think his stated reasons make much sense. He said he wants to avoid players being coached incorrectly by NCAA coaches, "stunting" their development. He also mentioned how OAD players don't care about college (massive assumption there) and stop going to class after the season is over (another assumption). I do think player control makes sense, as in allowing younger guys in so as to control them for cheaper prices over the long haul.

Another question: why is the player's union so eager to adopt this rule?

Hoping some of you NBA insiders can chime in and illuminate the logical component here.

If enacted it will hurt so many HS kids who will bag HS believing they are NBA bound at 16 years old. I think educators will push back.

I know Silver has been sounding off, but do you think there's any chance he reneges or capitulates to owners?

I reread his reasons for erasing OAD and I still don't think his stated reasons make much sense. He said he wants to avoid players being coached incorrectly by NCAA coaches, "stunting" their development. He also mentioned how OAD players don't care about college (massive assumption there) and stop going to class after the season is over (another assumption). I do think player control makes sense, as in allowing younger guys in so as to control them for cheaper prices over the long haul.

Another question: why is the player's union so eager to adopt this rule?

Hoping some of you NBA insiders can chime in and illuminate the logical component here.

I’m not sure either side really wants to end OAD. But neither wants to say they don’t, because then they’d lose the scapegoat they have in the NCAA for the impact of THEIR rule on 18-19 year old elite players.

It’s amazing how self-righteous both Silver and the players act about the college game, and how many buy into it. You have to be really smug and annoying to get me defending the NCAA.

I still feel like the NBA loves the ability to build hype around rookies. Think about Trae Young, heck even AD, none would have had the build up and fans and TV wanting to pay money to see these kids play. Endorsements will be less, in my opinions, to start, since players will have little leverage being unknown.

Also, one year of college allows GM to avoid the BIG busts. Like a Skal....and if you draft a Skal top 5, as a GM you have to give him as long as possible to pay off. This may hurt a veteran’s PT, or even signing.

It is this dicey situation where really it does make sense to let some of these studs come and it is good PR to be looking out for some of these young kids “rights” but forcing kids to spend some time post High School really is beneficial to the overwhelming majority of people in the long run. NBA Teams, NBA Veterans, Colleges, TV, Fans....you name it. And one can argue that the only REAL benefit is to give the right to a player to earn one more year of like $1 to $5mm and if they are good enough, that will come eventually. So we are whining about very ver little in the ways of “holding down these young kids”.

If the NCAA was smart, allow these kids to sign endorsements, but maybe structure how much time they can devote to endorsements, like flying them all over the country during the season would be a NO. Heck, you could mandate that the commericals have to be produced by Students (yes crazy). I don’t know how it would be bad to let the kids earn this money and it could help advertise College Ball, and make the NCAA even more money

Another feeble effort to stop the force that is Kentucky Basketball...

Cal will simply get the best o the rest!!!

My question is what qualifies a kid as an elite? I get maybe the top 5, but what if one recruiting service has a kid ranked 6 and another has him at 20? Does it matter on rankings? What’s the qualifications to make 125k as opposed to 35?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT