ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kentucky the best team in the country right now?

jake-no.gif

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
CS, is it really that far fetched to think maybe we are?

I mean who has a better resume than UK right now. Who has more talent than Ky ? Who has better guard play?

See what I mean?

Plus we have 7 of the next 11 games in Rupp where the Cats are undefeated.....

Brown scored damn near 25 in the 2nd half in Auburn and the Tigers still couldnt beat UK!

Our D has reached another level and Hagans is a lockdown defender and Herro is playing like Larry Bird.

Lol: Brown scored 25 in the 2nd...our D is "next level"...

Best, up there. Definitely trending in right direction. To me, pUKe is the team to beat.
UT an VA have good teams, but unknown bout the coaching making elite 8.
MSU has a squad but high TO would mske it a field day for Hagans. This upcoming 2 games will say a lot, but when UT comes to Rupp is when we will see how rough our team can be.
Nevada...controls paces and defends well, but seems to play to the level of their competition.
I said at the beginning and after or loss to pUKe, we have all the pieces, we have the heart, we hit ft, can sink the 3, only a rim eraser is missing from making this one of Cal's top teams

Reactions: BBUK
I guarantee you that if we played again on a neutral court today, and Duke had Tre Jones, Duke would be favored by 10. Virginia only lost to Duke by 2 at Cameron. And Tennessee outranks both of them.

I like our Cats, I like where we’re headed. But we aren’t there yet.
Vegas would not give anyone -10 if we played. UT should have loss to Alabama at home and we should have beaten them at there house. Did you honestly do hunk we woul beat UNC at a neutral site, the birds in their nest, and Auburn at home.
They may have had Tre when they beat us but we didn’t have the AH we have now or an established TH we have now. You do have a Duke team not even close to hitting threes as they did against us.

I believe we are not quite at the level as UT and Duke but not as far off as you believe.

CS, is it really that far fetched to think maybe we are?

I mean who has a better resume than UK right now. Who has more talent than Ky ? Who has better guard play?

See what I mean?

Plus we have 7 of the next 11 games in Rupp where the Cats are undefeated.....

Brown scored damn near 25 in the 2nd half in Auburn and the Tigers still couldnt beat UK!

Our D has reached another level and Hagans is a lockdown defender and Herro is playing like Larry Bird.

I enjoy your enthusiasm but there are major flaws in your argument. Our "next level" defense gave up give and go baskets all night and still have trouble defending the 3. We also gave up a boatload of points in the 2nd half when we should have been able to put Auburn away with the lead we had. You also forget they were without their best big man. I love watching Herro play but "playing like Larry Bird"? Are you kidding me or are you smoking something very special. There is no real comparison between those 2 players, lol.

Reactions: bookerfan66
Jeez OP, you don't have to post a new thread about every random thought that enters your mind.

The answer is NO. Just trust me on that.

Can't wait to see this brilliant thread posted on every rival teams message board. Ugh.

Reactions: STL_Cat
l.jpg

We blew a 17 point lead with 17:00 left and a 15 point lead with 9:30 left. Auburn scored 50 points in the last 17:00 of the game which is a 40 minute pace of 118.

Next level????
Well we got the lead in the first place against Auburn at home and we stayed poise and won even with some heroic shots and officiating going their way.
Must you always belittle the cats?!

Lol: Brown scored 25 in the 2nd...our D is "next level"...
Thought the same thing as I was typing Medi but if you rewatch the tape the man was throwing in 22 footers like layups.

Beer muscles

Last edited:
No......but, In my opinion, Duke, Tenn, and Michigan are the only ones definitely better right now.
At least we get to find out soon with TN. Their the same team from last year. Solid a little more mature and playing very well, but their the same team and I believe we are much better than our team that beat them last year. I feel like we are gelling now like that team was before the SEC tourney. With a lot more upside and ceiling room. On a neutral court if I was any team in the country I wouldn't want to face us.

Some might say dook look what they did. That was a different team playing a team that doesn't shoot as well as they did. After that beat down I feel like all the pressure would be on them, they already smashed us. Don'g get me wrong i'm glad we have more time to get even better, but i'm starting to like the idea of seeing them in the tourney. They are probably going to put us in their bracket so it's going to happen at some point. Michigan, that was a really bad loss, but still the first. I'm interested to see how they do against their next good opponent.

I like our chances, but I like them a lot better down the road. We are still a young team, but it was great to see fire and leadership from Ashton, "Wake the F up!". Travis and PJ were huddling them up and keeping them level headed and calm. We just have to continue like this and we will be the team no one wants to meet in the tourney.

This clown made a similar post to this one (except I think that one was top 3) right before we lost to Alabama.

Unbelievable some of you a still falling for it. He’s not a Kentucky fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Looksbetterinblue
He also said Kentucky wore gray football uniforms in a game this year likely as a call out to the Confederacy. That’s a true story.

Oh, boy. Threads like this are a textbook example of the reactionary see-saw that puts the “mess” in message board.

Have an ugly, grind-it-out loss? “This team doesn’t have it;” “Has Cal lost his touch?” “I’m not watching any more basketball this season.”

Have a big win two weeks later? “Is this the best team in the country?”

No. We’re not the best team in the country. A healthy Duke, Virginia, and Tennessee are probably still about 10 points better than us. Let’s just enjoy the win without setting unrealistic expectations that result in misery.

depending on who you are this would easily be considered a "baiting thread" by some of the Gold Members...but since it has a positive undertone it's not a baiting thread.

Truthfully, we are about the level we’ve been for most of my life. Somewhere around a 2 or 3 seed. Not the best, but close enough to dream.

It’s really only completely worked out once (1998). 1996 and 2012 were dominant. But even though it usually doesn’t quite work out in the end, it makes for a fun tournament.

The Cats are pretty much average athletically and that's not going to change.

Roles ARE well defined so that's a plus. Just wonder who's going to get that critical basket. Herro got fouled
against AU but that was early offense. Not sure what would have happened had he been forced to bring it back out.

Or if Harper's runner falls in.

Someone posted the ?, who has more talent. Seriously? A number of teams for sure. Cats are solid at every position but not overwhelming at any.

Can the Cats keep improving is the question. No game seems a sure thing to me at this point. Just win the next game.

And one post tried to rationalize the Bama loss by saying Bama should have won at UT. Watched all of that game and no way Bama SHOULD have won. Petty went off for 30 and UT still held on. Bama plays hard and UK and UT didn't take them seriously which was the reason for the UK loss and the UT scare.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least we get to find out soon with TN. Their the same team from last year. Solid a little more mature and playing very well, but their the same team and I believe we are much better than our team that beat them last year. I feel like we are gelling now like that team was before the SEC tourney. With a lot more upside and ceiling room. On a neutral court if I was any team in the country I wouldn't want to face us.

Some might say dook look what they did. That was a different team playing a team that doesn't shoot as well as they did. After that beat down I feel like all the pressure would be on them, they already smashed us. Don'g get me wrong i'm glad we have more time to get even better, but i'm starting to like the idea of seeing them in the tourney. They are probably going to put us in their bracket so it's going to happen at some point. Michigan, that was a really bad loss, but still the first. I'm interested to see how they do against their next good opponent.

I like our chances, but I like them a lot better down the road. We are still a young team, but it was great to see fire and leadership from Ashton, "Wake the F up!". Travis and PJ were huddling them up and keeping them level headed and calm. We just have to continue like this and we will be the team no one wants to meet in the tourney.

we beat you guys 2 out of 3.......fwiw

your post basically indicated you did not lose to tennessee last year

Outside of the Noel team and last season. We have been in the mix to be a final 4 team every year under Cal. As a realistic fan that is all you can ask for.
Probably only about once every 4 or 5 years does the best team win it all in March.
In a one and done tournament best team just don't always win it.
We will once again be in the mix for a final 4 and a championship. We will need some luck and hopefully not get Higgins again.
IMO the Fox,Bam, Monk team wins it all without Higgins.
Us, UT,VA,Mich, Mich st, Puke,Gonzaga and a couple other teams will come out of no where and be in the mix come March.

No, but outside of that Duke loss Kentucky has lost 2 other games by 1 and 2 points. This team right now is ranked about where it should be. I would say that as far as room to grow goes that UK has the most potential. PJ and Richards need to step up the most for us to reach the ceiling though.

we beat you guys 2 out of 3.......fwiw

your post basically indicated you did not lose to tennessee last year
You must struggle with your reading, but that's ok your a TN fan. I said we beat you after we gelled which was the end of the season. Another thing is we were beating up on you in your own house when PJ got cramps and left missing almost the entire 2nd half. After that it went downhill. Had he stayed in I think we had you and it easily could have been 2 out of 3 for us.

We will see soon enough when you head to Rupp in less than a month. I think we will cancel each other out in the front court and Hagan's we give you fits and we will take you down. Come back then.

If that last lay up by Auburn had stayed down then we would likely be saying something very different. Also Auburn was playing without their best inside player. It is a long season and other than Duke there is no really dominant team and against a really good zone defense I am not sure even Duke is a dominant team. There are really 10 teams that can make lots of noise in March and we are for sure one of them. It would however be nice to get a one seed. Our games this week and home games against Tennessee and LSU will go a long way to secure a one seed if we can come out on top

But the woulda coulda theory can work both ways so let’s go with we deserved to win and let it go. We play very well for much of the game.

We aren't the best team right now, but the good news is that we are waaaayyyyy ahead of where we were at a similar point last season. This team isn't 2012 or 2015 level, but they can be better than most of Cal's teams at UK.

Reactions: Aike
I believe if you can get a good draw and playing outstanding basketball when March Madness is here anything can happen during those 6 game in the Tourney. If we can continue to play ourstanding ball the remaining of the SEC schedule and could possibly get the #2 seed in Louisville we would have a great shot to get back to the Final Four and anything can happen once your in the Final Four. Just like last year how well we was playing at mid to end of the SEC Schedule and winning the SEC Tourney and we thought our Draw was horrible with UVA, Cincinnati, UT, Arizona the top 4 seeds and we were #5 seed and all Top 4 seeds were beaten in 1st weekend. We all thought getting back to Cat Atlanta and playing Kansas State and then Loyola Chicago in the Elite 8 we were for sure was headed back to the Final Four. That was the game that SGA went 2/10 from the field, PJ went 8-21 from the FT Line, and RIchards only played 8 minutes, and we had 16 turnovers vs. KSU. We should have won those 2 games blindfolded after the TOP 4 seeds went down in the 1st weekend. I don't believe we will ever see the Top 4 Seeds in our region go down in the 1st weekend like last season. We probably lose to Nova but we should have easily made it to the Final Four.

ADVERTISEMENT