ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kentucky the best team in the country right now?

HerrosHeroes

All-American
Aug 16, 2018
7-1 last 8
14-2 last 16

Wins away from Rupp over #9 North Carolina, at U of L who is now 13-5 and will be ranked today and at #14 AU.

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

Is the most talented starting five not named Duke.

Oh, boy. Threads like this are a textbook example of the reactionary see-saw that puts the “mess” in message board.

Have an ugly, grind-it-out loss? “This team doesn’t have it;” “Has Cal lost his touch?” “I’m not watching any more basketball this season.”

Have a big win two weeks later? “Is this the best team in the country?”

No. We’re not the best team in the country. A healthy Duke, Virginia, and Tennessee are probably still about 10 points better than us. Let’s just enjoy the win without setting unrealistic expectations that result in misery.

Last edited:
Just glad they are playing with confidence before two big games this week. Take care of miss st on the road and it’s perfect timing for the cats to welcome to rupp a reeling Kansas team.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Oh, boy. Threads like this are a textbook example of the reactionary see-saw that puts the “mess” in message board.

Have an ugly, grind-it-out loss? “This team doesn’t have it;” “Has Cal lost his touch?” “I’m not watching any more basketball this season.”

Have a big win two weeks later? “Is this the best team in the county?”

No. We’re not the best team in the country. A healthy Duke, Virginia, and Tennessee are probably still about 10 points better than us. Let’s just enjoy the win without setting unrealistic expectations that result in misery.
I don’t believe we are the best team in the country but looking at the other recent performance of the 3 teams you’ve mentioned plus the Cats and there is no way there is a 10 gap between us and them.

CS, is it really that far fetched to think maybe we are?

I mean who has a better resume than UK right now. Who has more talent than Ky ? Who has better guard play?

See what I mean?

Plus we have 7 of the next 11 games in Rupp where the Cats are undefeated.....

Brown scored damn near 25 in the 2nd half in Auburn and the Tigers still couldnt beat UK!

Our D has reached another level and Hagans is a lockdown defender and Herro is playing like Larry Bird.

I mean who has a better resume than UK right now. Who has more talent than Ky ? Who has better guard play?

See what I mean?

Brown scored damn near 25 in the 2nd half in Auburn and the Tigers still couldnt beat UK!

We're getting much better, I just cringe at stuff like this. Just me I guess, but I like to never get too high or too low. Just let it play out.

Last edited:
I don’t believe we are the best team in the country but looking at the other recent performance of the 3 teams you’ve mentioned plus the Cats and there is no way there is a 10 gap between us and them.

I guarantee you that if we played again on a neutral court today, and Duke had Tre Jones, Duke would be favored by 10. Virginia only lost to Duke by 2 at Cameron. And Tennessee outranks both of them.

I like our Cats, I like where we’re headed. But we aren’t there yet.

See what I mean?

If that last lay up by Auburn had stayed down then we would likely be saying something very different. Also Auburn was playing without their best inside player. It is a long season and other than Duke there is no really dominant team and against a really good zone defense I am not sure even Duke is a dominant team. There are really 10 teams that can make lots of noise in March and we are for sure one of them. It would however be nice to get a one seed. Our games this week and home games against Tennessee and LSU will go a long way to secure a one seed if we can come out on top

Have a big win two weeks later? “Is this the best team in the county?”

I'm not willing to give UVA or EweT that much credit.

Reactions: Ronwasourlastchance
7-1 last 8
14-2 last 16

Wins away from Rupp over #9 North Carolina, at U of L who is now 13-5 and will be ranked today and at #14 AU.

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

I don't know about being the best team. But I don't think there's any doubt, that we are the most improved team in the country from our 1st game until now.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
Hopefully we are a top 5 team. Damn that Bama loss hurts as far as us getting a 1 or 2 seed.

not yet, but we are still heading up. each player is improving and overall team play is improving. If we keep doing this, April could be a good month!

Reactions: Bluegrassking
Is this the best 14-3 team in the country?
Is KWilt the best poster on this board?

Will KWilt self ban again if we don’t win the title?

We are one of the teams that should be in contention in March. I believe we can make a final four. But, let’s not get ahead of ourselves right now. We were about 1/2 inch away from a loss Saturday. Here are a handful of teams that are easily better than we are right now, and two handfuls of teams that could easily take us out today.

LOL No. WE COULD EVENTUALLY BE BUT RIGHT NOW ARE SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 4-8. I would rank the top 6 1. UT 2. Michigan 3. Duke 4. Gonzaga 5. UVA 6. UK

So it isn't a crazy question but no we are not. This is putting the cart before the horse. Let's go 6-1 in the our next 7 and then we can say we are the best team.

No......but, In my opinion, Duke, Tenn, and Michigan are the only ones definitely better right now.
Where I’m at more or less.

We are a good or bad matchup, a hot shooting hand, and a ref’s whim away from having a chance to beat anyone in the country by 10 on a given night. On a neutral court at least. And in late January I’ll absolutely take that.

We have a chance to be the best team and we’re are trending in the right direction. But no, we’re not the best team at this moment.

50% of the time I think OP wants to make UK fans look like dumb homers with threads like this one and many others. JMO.

Well, he proved his point in one case. (points at op)

When I looked at the topic, thought he meant most improved. That might have merited some discussion. But no, just drivel.

Reactions: Cardsstink
7-1 last 8
14-2 last 16

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

No, but we are a lot better than Indiana, we are a blueblood and IU still suck, so you do have that.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Can't always go by record. Should UK have only 1-loss? Probably. But I'm not sure they are for sure in the top5 just yet.

Way too difficult to judge a Kentucky team that gets better every day.

Teams definitely better right now:

Duke
Michigan
Tennessee

Teams likely better than us right now:

Virginia
Gonzaga

Teams on our level:

Michigan State
Kansas

I still think we are in that third tier of teams but the way we are improving, would not shock me at all to move into that 2nd or even 1st tier.

No team is invincible.

Have a big win two weeks later? “Is this the best team in the country?”

Spot on!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT